PDA

View Full Version : Gilmour's multiple EQ's

Rob Sharer
11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi folks, saw a pic here once upon a time of David Gilmour's GE-7's, about six of them in a bunch if I recall correctly. Anybody still got that pic? I'm contemplating putting together a multi-EQ rig myself, and wanted to see if there are any clues to be gleaned. Cheers,

Rob

markom89
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Kind of OT (but not really:messedup), but how big a role do his EQ's play in getting his sound? I mean how much of what we're hearing is actually his amp + guitar (w/ effects), and how much is that plus EQ?

Rob Sharer
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Fair question...ruled in order! Proceed.

snooze
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Note that Pete Cornish mod all his gear so his EQ's settings will differ from yours...

www.gilmourish.com (http://www.gilmourish.com) for more informations...

Rob Sharer
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Note that Pete Cornish mod all his gear so his EQ's settings will differ from yours...

www.gilmourish.com (http://www.gilmourish.com) for more informations...

Well, I want it for acoustic, so something tells me the net effect would be different in any case. Thanks for the link! Cheers,

Rob

Belmont
11-25-2008, 10:16 PM
he dedicates an EQ to each of his OD/Distortion pedals,boosts the mids on his Big Muffs for instance,it's a huge part of his tone.

orogeny
11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
well, i just got a dano eq about a couple of weeks ago for my rat.

to cut to the quick. . . . i feel like a total moron for not doing it so much sooner.

when dave played live, he used those multiple eqs for diff sounds with the muff, in particular. he also eq'd the rat. if you heard him live, you heard a muff or a rat with an eq.

love the dano by the way. incredible bang for buck pedal. i have the rat and the dano in a loop for a one stomp solution to an incredible sound.

this1smyne
11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
just FYI on some eq'age. a lost art maybe, but there is a boss eq twin pedal that can be had cheap on ebay that will store multiple eq settings like the dd20, i'm not into the multi eq thing, but it would be sweet for an application like this.

oldmanmetal
11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
My Catlinbread Hyperpak sounds HUGE with my modded Boss GE-7 pedal run after it. Totally surprised me with how massive and crunchy it was. EQ pedals with quality parts are a great secret for good tone. Nice surprise.

vinni
11-26-2008, 07:32 AM
For acoustic I suggest you take a look at a good parametric like the Carl Martin

Vinni

Rob Sharer
11-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Allow me to clarify what I'm after:

I play plugged-in acoustic with a band that occasionally features fierce drumming, and occasionally backs down to a whisper. I find I operate in three modes: Irish-style accompaniment, flatpicking (i.e. leads), and fingerstyle. My fiendish idea is to have three GE-7's, each set to make the right sound for the three situations outlined above. Ideally, I'd like to have them built into one box, with either/or switching so stepping on the switch for one disengages whatever was on before. While I'm dreaming, a loop for each EQ would also be cool. I would take the issue to the Acoustic forum, but the real pedalheads are right here!

I know I saw a photo here of a whole bank of GE-7's, and I still think it was Gilmour's. What would be great would be to plow up the photo, but no luck so far. Cheers,

Rob

Belmont
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
David Gilmour and GE-7's have zero to do with acoustic guitar,just to clarify.

rob2001
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure but i'm guessing those EQ's were not all chained in one line. He probably has different signal paths and a dedicated EQ for each path.

Just thinking about it, I can't imagine 3 or more Boss EQ's in one signal path working out that well, especially in an acoustic rig. The noise and hiss may be unbearable.

Rob Sharer
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey, I'm DREAMING here! No reality checks, please.:roll

Seriously, they would need to be TB. That said, I haven't noticed any noise with the one I'm using, just the positive reinforcement from bandmates who are closer to 100% in the loving my tone department. Cheers,

Rob

Rob Sharer
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
David Gilmour and GE-7's have zero to do with acoustic guitar,just to clarify.

And why the hell is that? I'm looking for a technical solution here. Last time I checked, the pedals themselves don't know what's plugged into them...or is your board more aware than mine?

Rob

Jackaroe
11-26-2008, 09:04 AM
My Catlinbread Hyperpak sounds HUGE with my modded Boss GE-7 pedal run after it. Totally surprised me with how massive and crunchy it was. EQ pedals with quality parts are a great secret for good tone. Nice surprise.

What mod did you get?
I have a GE-7 and don't really have any noise issues with it, but I have noticed it doesn't have the same clarity as my MXR 10 band eq.

Does anyone know if Gilmour's GE-7's are modded?

rob2001
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey, I'm DREAMING here! No reality checks, please.:roll

Seriously, they would need to be TB. That said, I haven't noticed any noise with the one I'm using, just the positive reinforcement from bandmates who are closer to 100% in the loving my tone department. Cheers,

Rob

Thats cool, if it's working, go for it! :AOK

Rob Sharer
11-27-2008, 05:52 PM
just FYI on some eq'age. a lost art maybe, but there is a boss eq twin pedal that can be had cheap on ebay that will store multiple eq settings like the dd20, i'm not into the multi eq thing, but it would be sweet for an application like this.

I've been checking into this pedal, and it looks like a possible alternative. Looks like Analog Mike has a mod for it to make it more user-friendly, which would be a must - I hate faffing about with a poorly-designed user interface! Cheers,

Rob

bbrunskill
11-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I reckon the EQ-20 is great box, it suprises me how overlooked it is.

troykennedy
12-20-2008, 07:29 AM
I had an eq20. If it had worked like the DD20 in terms of presets I would have kept it. But you can basically only toggle between two sounds with it. Pretty big footprint too on the board.

Waxhead
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Just don't use GE-7's and you'll have no issues. Both the MXR 10 band and the 6 band EQ pedals are much better than the GE-7 for various reasons - mod'ed or not- and they're cheaper too. DK probably used the GE-7 cause that's all that was available in those days. I'd be surprised if he still used them :p

This one is $80 on ebay and is a ripper

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=249&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail