PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best 5E3 clone?

consoleb
11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Who do you think makes the best 5E3 clone, and why?

Trout
11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Who do you think makes the best 5E3 clone, and why?

Most of the current 5E3 builders do such a great job on 5E3's saying one is clearly better than the other is almost silly.

Basically they all use the same high quality ingredients and circuit. So it boils down to which nameplate you like best:D

5E3
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Most of the current 5E3 builders do such a great job on 5E3's saying one is clearly better than the other is almost silly.

Basically they all use the same high quality ingredients and circuit. So it boils down to which nameplate you like best:D
:agree

Definitely check out Victoria and Richter....

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/5e3/tweed/IMG_0020.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/5e3/tweed/IMG_0005.jpg

oldmanmetal
11-28-2008, 12:50 PM
:agree

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/5e3/tweed/IMG_0020.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/5e3/tweed/IMG_0005.jpg

Good points. I have one that can use 6L6 Tubes, EL34's, or of course 6V6 tubes. 150 year old pine cabinet made by Bob Burt. Weber Ceramic speaker with an AlNiCo plug 50 watt made for the builder of my amp. I won't say his name, because people seem to get upset at his name. It is the best 5E3 based circuit I have played.

Turnipfarmer
11-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Clark sounds good, proven to be very reliable.

gkoelling
11-28-2008, 02:12 PM
sdg vintage has a great reputation too. www.sdgvintage.com (http://www.sdgvintage.com)

Trout
11-28-2008, 02:38 PM
sdg vintage has a great reputation too. www.sdgvintage.com (http://www.sdgvintage.com)

Clark sounds good, proven to be very reliable

Yep, and many others come to mind as well.

Depends on what you are looking for.
Optional speakers?
Optional tubes
Exact Clone Vs Builders Rendition.

Every so often we read a certain builders individual 5E3 seems to display a larger amount of Mojo than others he/she built. We read raving reviews, and the buyer is certain it is the very best 5E3 ever built.

I have played at least 5 original 50's Fender 5E3's, I own a Richter which I liked best. Why? it sounds and does what I wanted it to.
That does not mean it is " Better" .
It just means to my taste & ears it fills my need better.

I played a Victoria a few weeks back side by side with a new Fender RI.
Both excellent amps, but oddly the Victoria to my ears sounded better than the re-issue.

I think bottom line is, pick the brand you can afford, check out as many as possible,and

Jump On It

Cant go to wrong on the current 5E3's

Deaj
11-28-2008, 02:40 PM
How about 5E3 kits?

Flyin' Brian
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
How about 5E3 kits?

Mission Amps makes a nice kit.

Peppy
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I have played at least 5 original 50's Fender 5E3's, I own a Richter which I liked best. Why? it sounds and does what I wanted it to.
That does not mean it is " Better" .
It just means to my taste & ears it fills my need better.

I played a Victoria a few weeks back side by side with a new Fender RI.
Both excellent amps, but oddly the Victoria to my ears sounded better than the re-issue.

Then I...and some other players...A/Bed a Victoria "Deluxe" with the new Fender reissue Deluxe and all unanimously picked the Fender as the fave. Proving your point about "taste & ears"...thus the op should definitely try everything they can get their hands on.

sanhozay
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I won't say his name, because people seem to get upset at his name. It is the best 5E3 based circuit I have played.

Stand up and be brave; always nice to hear quality options. Unless, prospect name lives in a cave and builds when the mood strikes. :Devil

Trout
11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Then I...and some other players...A/Bed a Victoria "Deluxe" with the new Fender reissue Deluxe and all unanimously picked the Fender as the fave. Proving your point about "taste & ears"...thus the op should definitely try everything they can get their hands on.

EXACTLY!

The OP's question though good, has such a broad scope in the grand scheme of things.

Heck, take any Brand _______ 5E3, roll 10 different brand/model speakers through it, they will all sound different. Which speaker makes brand ____sound best?
Now do the Tubes.
Heck, get real hard core and do the OT's LOL

Some guys find magic in this brand, some guys find magic in the other, but only your ears will tell you where you will find magic.

Oddos
11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I guess the other parts are what makes most of the difference between those amps.

Peppy
11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Then....get ready...which sounds best with humbucking pickups vs. single-coil pickups. Hey, headroom and all changes depending on the guitar used. Then which speaker can handle that better and should you swap out the first preamp tube (12AY or 12 AX?) and then....................never stops.

Trout
11-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Then....get ready...which sounds best with humbucking pickups vs. single-coil pickups. Hey, headroom and all changes depending on the guitar used. Then which speaker can handle that better and should you swap out the first preamp tube (12AY or 12 AX?) and then....................never stops.

:bow

Hey, do not forget the cord!, Length and Capacitance

oldmanmetal
11-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Landgraff D'Lux. Best small amp I have ever played.

VintageKnob
11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, the 5E3 tone is the sum of all it's parts.

I've had a clark and a Marsh, both in Mojo cabs, the Clark had a Clestion Blue and the Marsh a Weber 12A125.

Dumped the Marsh, got the Clark and really liked it but had to sell for GAS pains.

The knowing I had to get back to tweed I picked up a Lil' Dawg. This time in a cab by Better Built Workshops. 1 inch deeper than original. Then I went from a Weber 12A125-O to an alnico hemp cone tone tubby. YIKES!!! Using only NOS tubes this things is SO SWEET! The speaker was the icing on the cake. Gave it a ton of volume and cut.

For me now, the base 5E3 amp would be, Lil' Dawg (love his work) the deep deluxe cabinet and NOS tubes.

The seasonings (IMO) for the amp are: preamp tubes & speaker.

You can mess with these and really dial in your tone to taste.

I've got an EVM12L in my 25 watt Lil' Dawg and I love that to.

I'm a freak about feeling confident about my gear, this stuff is keeper.

If you don't have any tweed amps, come on in, but be warned - they're addictive!

- D

benjammin
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
It's hard to mess up a 5E3. I love my Mission, but I'm sure most 5E3 clones are in the same ballpark. I got this to save cash by building it myself. Just look for a well built cabinet, splurge on the Weber speaker, and maybe add some NOS tubes if you have the cash.