PDA

View Full Version : Guild GAD-50, ready to buy one

rabies
12-03-2008, 07:17 AM
heard lots of good things about these for a decent price (w/ a case).

anyone reason not to pull the trigger? (I'm trying to repalce my Yamaha FG735S, pretty decent for the price but I jacked up the stuck bridge pin).

drive-south
12-03-2008, 07:27 AM
These are pretty nice guitars. The one thing that Guild Lovers knock about the Chinese made GAD series guitars is the thick poli finish. They would be so much nicer if only they would apply a thin nitro-cellulous lacquer finish. Other than that they are pretty well put together.

They definately do no hold their resale value as well as USA made Guilds. If you've made up your' mind to buy one, I'd hold out for a used one. You should be able to find a used one for about 50-60% of the cost of a new one. I'm talking like-new mint condition.

I have a Guild GAD JF30 I bought a couple of years ago. It was great during the "honeymoon" but after that I quickly stopped playing it, in favor of it's American cousins. I'm now thinking it is time to either sell or trade the GAD for something else.

If you can afford to get the USA-made (Tacoma, WA) D50 Bluegrass Special, do so. These have very fine red-spruce tops and play like a dream. Guild (Fender) has shut down the Tacoma plant and are now gearing up to build Guild acoustics in Connecticut since they now own Kaman/Ovations. You may find them blowing out the remaining Tacoma stock eventually.

drive-south

bransonb
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
As good as the Masterbilts are, I think the GAD 50 is the best of the Chinese dreadnaughts. Despite the poly, I think they play more like their American counterparts than any of the other Asian imports. Nice choice!

Speaking of Yamaha, I wonder why they aren't competing with an all solid wood guitar at this price point?

rabies
12-03-2008, 08:39 PM
As good as the Masterbilts are, I think the GAD 50 is the best of the Chinese dreadnaughts. Despite the poly, I think they play more like their American counterparts than any of the other Asian imports. Nice choice!

Speaking of Yamaha, I wonder why they aren't competing with an all solid wood guitar at this price point?

i just jammed with my yamaha and it sounds pretty damn good... I think I got it for around $200 on eBay as a factory 2nd/used. I've been playing for 15 yrs (not a pro) and it's about good enuf for me. I played a $5K martin once (good lookin sambora model) and a D-28 and ain't worth it no way! I don't care what anybody says...

swampcaat18
12-05-2008, 08:26 AM
I have a GAD-50 PCE, which has the padauk back and sides and I love it. For the money they are great guitars. I don't buy guitars very often and when I do I don't worry about resale value. You may be able to find a used one a lot cheaper. If you find one you like, then go for it.