PDA

View Full Version : Rittenhouse Guitars-Another Relic COmpany

todd richman
12-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I found this company while surfing. I believe that the builder Abe Rivera is fairly well known. They seem to be doing nice work and are a newcomer in the relic S and T type builds.

http://www.rittenhouseguitars.com/index.html

MarkF786
12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Not directly related to this luthier, but I never understood the whole "relic" concept. When I buy something, I prefer it looking new, and if I wanted to buy a copy of a classic guitar, a "closet classic" makes more sense to me.

Imagine if a car builder made "relic" models; maybe a classic Mustang, with rusted-out body panels, bondo in places, the interior worn out with holes in the upholstery - essentially a car that's been beat-up over the years! It's ridiculous! When you buy a classic car, you want it in as good condition as possible, just like any other antique I can think of.

What am I missing?

Mark

Structo
12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I guess what you are missing is that a genuine vintage Fender fetches in the neighborhood of $25-50K.
So for the people that like the look of an old guitar the relic industry has sprung up.
Also if the person that buys a guitar that is nowadays finished in poly, that guitar will look brand new for a long, long time. The reason the vintage guitars look the way they do is because they were finished in nitrocellulose lacquers which tend to be on the delicate side as far as taking abuse goes.

Also, say the owner is 45 years or older, they don't have the time left in their lives to see the guitar age as it would naturally would if it was made in the 50's.

I have been making guitars for a number of years (Fender style) and resisted the relic bug for the longest time.
Then I decided to make a replica of a 61 Strat in Sonic Blue. It is not a heavy relic but it got a little more distress than I started out wanting.
I did it the old fashioned way using nitrocellulose lacquers.

The key in making a good relic or replica is knowing when to stop on the aging process.
It was horrifying to put the first ding in a perfect paint job but after that, they came easier.

I don't think the analogy of the car works, because with cars the opposite is true.
A good restoration is usually the objective of the vehicle.

With vintage guitars, you lower the value with a refinish and those guitars wear the effects of their age as a badge of honor.

While I don't think relics are for everybody, you hate'em or love'em, they are a valid niche in the guitar market like it or not.

Now there are terrible looking relic jobs all over the internet, especially when they try to relic a newer guitar that is finished in polyester. Those are what we call belt sander relics.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV, IMHO, etc.

ford
12-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Not directly related to this luthier, but I never understood the whole "relic" concept. When I buy something, I prefer it looking new, and if I wanted to buy a copy of a classic guitar, a "closet classic" makes more sense to me.

Imagine if a car builder made "relic" models; maybe a classic Mustang, with rusted-out body panels, bondo in places, the interior worn out with holes in the upholstery - essentially a car that's been beat-up over the years! It's ridiculous! When you buy a classic car, you want it in as good condition as possible, just like any other antique I can think of.

What am I missing?

Mark

Lots to a lot of people....

many vintage guitars out there are beaten up... and people want something that looks and feels broken in like those instruments..

My Fano's are both relic'd and are two of the best guitars in the world.. the broken in nito finish is part of the reason...along with great sound and playability and looks

rock

bford

big mike
12-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I normally don't buy the 'relic' thing, but I fell in love with an a guitar that was relic'd, and it's just kinda cool to look at. It 'feels' like it's old, even though it's not. Plus I don't sweat any more nicks or dings. That's kinda nice. I never worry too much but knowing I didn't do the first...comforting.

Anyrate, back to topic....

amc
12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure but I believe that this "builder" Abe Rivera is not the "luthier" Abe Rivera
known for ornate archtops and solid bodies (i.e. Kevin Eubanks guitar)

GuitarDiscountCenter
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I know Abe Rivera the Luthier. He lives in NY not Florida. This is another Abe.

loudboy
12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Not directly related to this luthier, but I never understood the whole "relic" concept.

Mark

It didn't help that the best guitars to come out of Fender in the past 40 years were the "Relics."

They had something that none of the other production or Custom Shop models had. Then all the other builders jumped on.

I still don't know if the relicing had anything to do with it...

I also think that the unavailability of authentic vintage guitars had something to do with it.

fenderball
05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
It didn't help that the best guitars to come out of Fender in the past 40 years were the "Relics."

They had something that none of the other production or Custom Shop models had. Then all the other builders jumped on.

I still don't know if the relicing had anything to do with it...

I also think that the unavailability of authentic vintage guitars had something to do with it.

not only that, but the desire to keep the authentic vintage guitars in as good a condition as possible

Southern ILL
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice site.......I gotta say. Danocaster has set the mark as far as relics go.
K-line and Kingbee is great too.....Some goodstuff coming outa RSrelics too.

But no disrespect.....each his own and I'll never bash anyones guitar choices.
But when they start looking like a dirty gas station sink.....I tend to move on.

Whatever it takes to have fun and enjoy "yo'self" is the main thing guys....

Enjoy your guitar.....and let me enjoy mine.
Its really not that big a deal.

npeoni
07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey everyone just got my Rittenhouse Guitars Fiesta red tele..
I also own a RS Guitarworks old friend.
After looking this guitar over in great detail, I am finding very inferior craftmanship, in comparrison to my RS, or Fenders..
Paint:
Has some "orange peel look to finish"
Can actually see where paint was sanded buffed etc..
Actually got a few "runs" or "drips" around the neck pocket..

Hardware:
Alright. nothing special, didn't take time on detail very poor on the hardware,, looks like it was hit with a brillo then wet sanded... I dont know..

Pickup:
Very good, The are Lollars and how do you mess that up

Pickguard:
1Ply Suits the era, but looks brand freakin new like i mean i thought i had to peal the plastic off.

Tuners:
Gotoh cant go wrong.. again aging was very poor and one of the tuners slips a little..

Neck: Horrible,, You can actually see where it was masked at the 12th through 20.. At the nut you can see the ridges in the masking tape where the finish was sprayed.. Very Very poor job... The headstock is the only part on the whole guitar that looks "PROPER" for a custom relic guitar.. "checking" on headstock nice,, but there is ZERO "Checking anywhere else..

Final Note.... I would say the 7-8 period wait time is Bullshit and hes pumpin out in 1-2... I would inspect parts for more detail but I am in no mood...
My RS Old Friend is AMAZING all 38.5 inches of her... No make the same mistake,, or take A CLOSER LOOK AT YOUR RITTENHOUSE!

I can post pics of both guitars to kinda take you through the differences in quality or craftmanship..

I AM NOT A REP OF RS GUITARWORKS,, This is a Honest workin man just tele stories about his Teles..

dr.morton
07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I can post pics of both guitars to kinda take you through the differences in quality or craftmanship..

Do this. I am not a big fan of reliced guitars but the pics on the Rittehhouse site look good.
Therefore I would like to see some proof supporting your claims.

npeoni
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I will post picks within a few days.. My girlfriend has a far superior camera than mine(a professional camera). I was very mislead by the pics at the website and the pics of my guitar. I purchased it on ebay, my username is indiefarmboy, you can look at the auction photos and the feedback left to portofmiami (Abe Rivera)on EBAY.. The photos of the tele look amazing but I assure you I will show you a real Rittenhouse guitar, alongside my RS.. Like I said this guitar still plays great and sounds great..
1. I broke three guitar strings the first day I got,, They were extremely cheap strings..
2. I had to completly adjust the action, and intonation.
3. I just notice the imperfections at my last rehearsal under good lights,
4. Oh, I also had to adjust the pickup height totally wrong on the neck pickup..

I know my equipment, teles mainly, and this guitar should have been priced at 500.00 I payed 900.00. I considered relisting the item but I felt I needed to tell some people, and the guitar will wear in properly over the years.. So instead of making my 900.00 back I am telling you not to spend your cash.. Abe is pumping out 1 to 2 guitars on ebay every week... He spent alot of time on the guitars in his gallery photos I will say that,, but not the one I bought and I assume not the one your gonna buy..

I would like to request any other Rittenhouse owners, to post detailed, up close picks at your fretmarkers near the 12th throught the 18th and the same at the nut... THese necks are not finished and then reliced, they are reliced and then finished in select spots,,, LOOK AT YOUR FRET BOARD.. My markers are finshed with a tape mark where the finish stops 1/16 of inch above the marker, how weird does that look..
I am a crafstman and I pay attention to fine details, I dont miss a thing.. I own and have owned 20 to 30 teles.. Your pics will be posted soon..

P.S. Keep up the good work RS, Historic Res, KingB, etc..
Pack it up Rittenhouse, KLH etc..

fenderball
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
wow...i almost pulled the trigger on one of theirs not too long ago..that certainly ends that! would like to see the pics..thx!

npeoni
07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Ok everyone, here are the Rittenhouse vs. Rs guitarworks old friend tele
Here is the link to the photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903852@N03/

big mike
07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Interesting. While I'm clearly an RS Fan, I love my E type, the Rittenhouse is 1/2 the $ correct?

Just a point...I'd expect the RS to be better. (IMO no one does it better than RS for relic stuff).

npeoni
07-28-2009, 09:05 PM
This is just the tip of the iceberg.. I will take more pics as I keep seaming to find bad work... Anyways here is the link for the cooliris
www.cooliris.com/tab/#url=jsfeed%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos %2F40903852%40N03%2Fwith%2F3766910291%2F

npeoni
07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I just awoke to my phone ringing.. Abe Rivera called to tell me he personally would like to apologize for the Tele he sent me... He says that it is not a proper reflection of his work. Abe instructed me to mail the guitar back to him and he will build me another, to my specs... I think that is pretty good customer service, so far. We will have to see the outcome of the next Rittenhouse tele. Until then I have no new pics to post... Talk to everyone soon..
Nick

mojocaster.com
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Interesting, please keep us updated.

To me, and I stress *to me*, the best relic job I have ever seen *with my own eyes* was done by E at Revelator Guitars. A close second - tied - are Danocaster and K-Line.

I had a Mark Jenny body that was incredible, but never had a full guitar of his, so I can't compare.

big mike
07-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Interesting, please keep us updated.

To me, and I stress *to me*, the best relic job I have ever seen *with my own eyes* was done by E at Revelator Guitars. A close second - tied - are Danocaster and K-Line.

I had a Mark Jenny body that was incredible, but never had a full guitar of his, so I can't compare.

You must see RS's work up close. Nothnig against the other guys, I can only compare fender and nash as those are the relics i've played, but my RS is much more realistic, and use their own headstock.

Killer F style guitars. I'd take my esquire over any/all of my fender or parts teles. Def. my favorite traditional builder.

fullerplast
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
IMHO, some of these guys are getting better but all are still playing catch up with GVCG..... :cool:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/gvcg011.jpg

big mike
07-29-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't find it contradictory at all. RS does their own headstock, AND put their own name on it, not someone else's. So there's no mistaking it for a real fender...AND they acheieve the look of a well loved guitar.

The relicing was secondary to me. THis is close to 6 lbs, and rings like a bell. best ash E or T type I've ever had the pleasure of owning, and it looks great as a bonus.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/Mykkus/burgundymistof1.jpg

npeoni
07-29-2009, 05:56 PM
RS GUitarworks is second to no one.. I have played KingBee, Dano, and lots and lots of others, as you can see I have posted about a few relics I own and have bought recently.. Roy makes the best relics.. I have never played better, the paint matches my 63' to the T, even the "checking looks the same" I have had to many offers to count.. My Nash is sweet but it is an early Nash, he has gone down hill since going mainstream with the retailers.. Historic Restoration is top notch, but doesnt carry the same care, and detail that Roy does...
As far as RS Headstocks are concerned I love them.... I think it was a genius Idea to stand apart, from all the rest.. The company he orders from far superior sources... I dont want an allparts, or warmoth neck..
Hats off to you Roy, My old friend will be with me forever..

Rittenhouse Guitars
Talked to Abe again on the phone..
He is building me a Sea Foam Green Tele with a single coil Lollar at the bridge, a wide-wrange Lollar humbucker at the Neck, Black pickguard, Maple fretboard with a Jazzmaster/strat neck with painted headstock to match.. He has assured me he is, "going to step it up a notch and build me one of his best", i modeled it after a fender custom shop (5000.00).. He was very accomodating and said I could keep the fiesta Red as a loner until he had mine ready to ship.. He assured me 4 weeks and I will have it.
I look forward to showing everyone.. Abe is gonna send me build pics so I will keep everyone updated...

Nick

P.S. Rittenhouse might not be so bad after all, Abe is a great guy and really aims to please his customers.. It's hard when you are starting up and thats the time when a small business needs to assure top-notch work to make it.. Look at Nash, and RS... So, Abe I apologize to you for the inconvenience the posts might have caused you.. We will get it right.. Then you can show everyone the true Rittenhouse..
Thanks for all your input everyone, and I will keep postin...
If anyone has a couple thousand to drop hit me a line I am ordering two new
RS guitars so My old Friend might be your old friend for the right price..
If you are interested email me at n_peoni@yahoo.com I will send some real pics...

joeybsyc
07-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Gotta admit Mike... that Tele sure is a beauty!

npeoni
07-29-2009, 06:02 PM
That tele is amazing!! Like I said dont make the mistake everyone get your guitars from KENTUCKY!!

RSRelic
07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
While I understand what you are saying all I can say is buy a real Fender. Anyone who uses a Fender headstock and puts a Fender decal on it is:
1) in it to make easy money off Fenders name.
2) has no problem breaking federal law by using a Trademarked headstock (I won't even talk about putting on a Fender decal)
Builders need to step up and show pride in their guitars and make their guitar stand out IMHO.

Glowing Tubes
07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
nothing wrong with relics
I love my Jeff Senn

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Andersonguy/DSC00743.jpg

mojocaster.com
07-29-2009, 06:36 PM
If I had a relic guitar built, I'd have to go with a black guard, either T or E.

As for the headstock thing, come on. If you use a T shape w/ T adornments such as bridge, angled pickup, pickguard shape and control place w/ 3-way switch and two knurled knobs, you're basically 90% there and basically pillage Leo's design. That's hardly an innovative guitar just because you changed the headstock shape.

This said, i agree with you that there is a law and that it should be followed.

npeoni
07-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree Roy,, If your not putting your own touch on the guitars, your just completely ripping off other companies.. I own two Dano's I admit I will not sell if I have to live on the streets. But there is something about an RS I cant explain you have to have one..
The competition has always been between the owners not the makers, there all making cash.. What really matter is which companies actually, enjoys, cares, and lives for the art of making these guitars... I won't just own one brand, I like the differences and enjoy the wow factor behind all the wonderful relics that have been made...
Enjoy your guitars whatever brand they might be...
Nick

RSRelic
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
If I had a relic guitar built, I'd have to go with a black guard, either T or E.

As for the headstock thing, come on. If you use a T shape w/ T adornments such as bridge, angled pickup, pickguard shape and control place w/ 3-way switch and two knurled knobs, you're basically 90% there and basically pillage Leo's design. That's hardly an innovative guitar just because you changed the headstock shape.

I don't think anyone ever claimed to reinvent the wheel here or that we are not building based on a classic design. All I said is that we make sure people know it's a RS guitar and that no laws are broken in building or selling it. Want original then we do that too.

big mike
07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

You're a crook fan right? He's got his own headstock. ;)

The headstock is a trademark. So selling a guitar with that headstock, and or a fender logo, is not cool. IMO. The licensed by fender thing is for replacement parts not for assembling a clone.

I don't judge others, I just go with what feels right to me.

fullerplast
07-30-2009, 12:04 AM
If you use a T shape w/ T adornments such as bridge, angled pickup, pickguard shape and control place w/ 3-way switch and two knurled knobs, you're basically 90% there and basically pillage Leo's design. That's hardly an innovative guitar just because you changed the headstock shape.

Agreed.

Also, legalities aside, it gets a little bizarre for non-Fender tele and strat relics...simply because you are trying to make something look 40 years old that didn't even exist. Other than the parts that look just like a Fender, it's a complete fantasy. Legal yes..... but it never could have existed, so no matter how good the aging, it's a moot point. It will never look like what it is "supposed" to be: an old Fender.:messedup

big mike
07-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I think yuo just read too much into it.

To me a tele is a tele, a strat is a strat, they're basically public domain shapes now..the headstocks aren't. It still looks like a well loved guitar, that's cool. Provided the rest is up to snuff. Tone, craftsmanship, etc.

npeoni
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Responding to:

"Also, legalities aside, it gets a little bizarre for non-Fender tele and strat relics...simply because you are trying to make something look 40 years old that didn't even exist. Other than the parts that look just like a Fender, it's a complete fantasy. Legal yes..... but it never could have existed, so no matter how good the aging, it's a moot point. It will never look like what it is "supposed" to be: an old Fender.:messedup __________________"

Yes from the headstock down you cant tell the difference between my 63' and my old friend.. And to the contrary my RS plays better and feels better than my all original 63 tele... Mine looks just like an old fender, for a fraction of the cost.. I take that back it has no imperfections period in the building process and the electronic cant be touched by the original...

fullerplast
07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes from the headstock down you cant tell the difference between my 63' and my old friend.. And to the contrary my RS plays better and feels better than my all original 63 tele... Mine looks just like an old fender, for a fraction of the cost.. ...

That's the whole point. It doesn't look just like an old Fender unless you don't look at the whole guitar. So no matter how good the relicing is, it will never look like an old Fender unless you crop out the headstock in your mind.

RSRelic
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
That's the whole point. It doesn't look just like an old Fender unless you don't look at the whole guitar. So no matter how good the relicing is, it will never look like an old Fender unless you crop out the headstock in your mind.
So you only care that it's an exact repro of a Fender, but I'm not making a repro and never clamed to. Our guitars are enspired by them, but they pick features from so many different years that would never be found on a single guitar and many parts that were never used by fender. In short I build a guitar that feels and sounds like an "Old Friend" nothing more. The people who can't get past the head are missing out because many of the best T type guitars being made today don't have a Fender head and to me that just shows those builders have enough pride in there guitar to let it stand on it's own with out being a "repro". We have been doing this longer than Fender and restore real vintage guitars at a rate of better than 50 real guitars for every one Old Friend we build, so if I wanted to do an exact copy I could, but you're not going to see that from us. I'd rather build guitars like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/todd-1.jpg
and yep it's still aged even though it's not a "repro".

Jim S
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Do you actually relic you guitars by having trains run over them?
I don't think that's very green.

big mike
07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Duh Jim, it's orange.

:p

fullerplast
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
and yep it's still aged even though it's not a "repro".

That's exactly why I said those were more fantasy guitars, because they are aged yet never existed in an earlier time.

The vast majority of relics are intended to look like old Fenders. Period. For that reason, a real Fender relic or a "replica" has the credibility factor going for it....you can't tell a good one without some seriously close inspection. I consider aged guitars that never existed to be a step removed from the traditional relic intent and I'm not really as comfortable with the concept for some reason.

Yes, there are a gazillion variations on the tele/strat theme with altered pickguards, pickups, and bridges.....you wanna call it "inspired", but it's still just a modified Fender design AFAIC. Nobody is really fooling anybody. Same thing with putting a top hat switch tip or a RW board on a '53 blackguard. Or putting a Filtertron in a Gretsch Orange tele. It's all cool, but Original? Not really IMHO.

There's just a whole lot of coattail riding in the guitar and amp industry, and the consumers are as much to blame as the builders.

Kingbeegtrs
07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
That's exactly why I said those were more fantasy guitars, because they are aged yet never existed in an earlier time.

The vast majority of relics are intended to look like old Fenders. Period. For that reason, a real Fender relic or a "replica" has the credibility factor going for it....you can't tell a good one without some seriously close inspection. I consider aged guitars that never existed to be a step removed from the traditional relic intent and I'm not really as comfortable with the concept for some reason.

Yes, there are a gazillion variations on the tele/strat theme with altered pickguards, pickups, and bridges.....you wanna call it "inspired", but it's still just a modified Fender design AFAIC. Nobody is really fooling anybody. Same thing with putting a top hat switch tip or a RW board on a '53 blackguard. Or putting a Filtertron in a Gretsch Orange tele. It's all cool, but Original? Not really IMHO.

There's just a whole lot of coattail riding in the guitar and amp industry, and the consumers are as much to blame as the builders.

Well it's like King Solomon said..."there's nothing new under the sun"

scott
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE]That's exactly why I said those were more fantasy guitars, because they are aged yet never existed in an earlier time.

There's just a whole lot of coattail riding in the guitar and amp industry, and the consumers are as much to blame as the builders./QUOTE]

I would suggest you go start a guitar building company with new, never been used, designs and see if you still hold the same "opinion". Its hard enough making a living trying to sell "inspired by" guitars let alone a totally new idea. It doesnt matter cause there is always some guy on the internet trying to run you down with his "opinions" no matter what you do. Walk a mile in another mans shoes before you start waving your gavel around.

big mike
07-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Fender shouldn't have lifted Bigsby's headstock then.

Who shouldn't have lifted it from a violin....

mojocaster.com
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Builders need to step up and show pride in their guitars and make their guitar stand out IMHO.

My post was a reaction to this. I have nothing against RSRelic guitars - I hear wonderful things about them from people whose knowledge I deeply respect, such as Big Mike on this very forum.

If you look at the guitar pic Big Mike posted, which doesn't show the headstock, I'd be hard pressed to not think that it could be a Fender. The body shape, the accessories, etc... all look pretty much like a Telecaster to me. I felt that this could be construed to be in contradiction with the statement made above, that's all.

All I am saying is if you make a guitar that looks 90+% like a Tele, it's hard to at the same time castigate those who make one that looks 100% like one :)

This said, RSRelic sure makes beautiful guitars whether they are "inspired" by Fender or not. I am sure that I would love it if I owned one.

mojocaster.com
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
You're a crook fan right? He's got his own

He sure does, but I am not the one who has an issue with this all thing anyway, now am I? :D

big mike
07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
While I can see some of your points Mojo caster, one thing I will Say, RS is certainly not hiding that it's not a fender.
Lots of the relic guys (not a judgement, just sayin) use fender bridges, so you get that.
My RS has a RS roll mark in the bridge, compensated saddles, and two forward mounting holes. Pictured at the right angle, it's very clear. The neck plate also, instead of a plain jane piece, has the RS logo on it. Head stock shape, fingerboard with a serial # in it. It would be very VERY hard to pass off as anything but an RS.

big mike
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
He sure does, but I am not the one who has an issue with this all thing anyway, now am I? :D

Certainly not! Just an observation. I'd love to try one being the BP fan I am.

big mike
07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
uncropped.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/Mykkus/burgundymistof.jpg

fullerplast
07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Fender shouldn't have lifted Bigsby's headstock then.

Who shouldn't have lifted it from a violin....

I'm not seeing Fender trying to make guitars that look like old Bigsbys or old violins. Nice try though.....:D

fullerplast
07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I would suggest you go start a guitar building company with new, never been used, designs and see if you still hold the same "opinion". Its hard enough making a living trying to sell "inspired by" guitars let alone a totally new idea. It doesnt matter cause there is always some guy on the internet trying to run you down with his "opinions" no matter what you do. Walk a mile in another mans shoes before you start waving your gavel around.

Sure, I'd have the same opinion....that's reality. I know it's an uphill battle to market a new design. That's why so few do it and it's exactly why it's easier to ride the coattails of previous designs.

Most T/S and relic builders are simply following the money. Teles and strats sell. Make something that looks like them and your odds are good that you'll sell too.

RSRelic
07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
First I'm not doing this as spam but I don't think most people know it's not all about Copies here. We like originals as much as the next guy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/Stealth/stealth.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/OutBurst/RPM_9144.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/pro.jpg
Now if people just wanted to buy something different.

big mike
07-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm not seeing Fender trying to make guitars that look like old Bigsbys or old violins. Nice try though.....:D

But it speaks to your argument about being 'original'

Fender wasn't either, at least partially.

but as far as that, I'm done. I'm not in the mood to argue to the nth degree...again....

TED STEVENSON
07-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Blame for what exactly? I think players are happy to have so many choices and you can't really judge a guitar by specs or the way it looks, teles or strats made by different builders bring their own unique qualities to the table even if they are not obvious.

I don't see a problem here, don't understand why you do.

DamianP
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
the consumers are as much to blame as the builders.

Not "as much of the blame", all of the blame.

Damian.

big mike
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Serious question...

Fullerplast, are you an Engineer?

mojocaster.com
07-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I for one do not believe for one second that it is spam on your part, and moreover, I thank you for posting this.

I hope you understand that I am not "attacking" you or your work ethic. I dig your work - especially that gold guitar.

Again, thanks for posting. I think that it certainly makes your point more emphatically.

First I'm not doing this as spam but I don't think most people know it's not all about Copies here. We like originals as much as the next guy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/Stealth/stealth.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/OutBurst/RPM_9144.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Rbowen/pro.jpg
Now if people just wanted to buy something different.

mojocaster.com
07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
uncropped.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/Mykkus/burgundymistof.jpg

Looking at this pic - and udnerstanding that I do not have the actual in front of my eyes - short of the headstock, this really looks90+% like a Fender Esquire.

As for you playing a Crook, man, if you ever make your way East, I'd love to have you over and jam. I am nowhere the player you are, but it would be a blast :)

BLUESMANVINTAGE
07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
WOW Im gonna keep my mouth shut and go to bed!!!

big mike
07-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Looking at this pic - and udnerstanding that I do not have the actual in front of my eyes - short of the headstock, this really looks90+% like a Fender Esquire.

As for you playing a Crook, man, if you ever make your way East, I'd love to have you over and jam. I am nowhere the player you are, but it would be a blast :)

splitting hairs now. it's obviously F influenced, but there's RS' name everywhere it counts. Bridge, Headstock, Neck plate. Same as crook I assume?

Thanks for the offer!

mojocaster.com
07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Splitting hairs I don't have, I might add :)

BTW, on the pic, I can't see that name anywhere other than the headstock. I am sure that in real life, if I were lucky enough to have that gorgeous guitar in my hands, I would be able to see those.

My point anyway was NOT that they try and pass their stuff as Fender... but that they more than inspired themselves from Leo's design. If you take a 3-saddle Tele ashtray bridge, whether you stamp your name on it or not, it's still not your design. It's just someone else's design with your logo on it. And I am not saying that they should or shouldn't use Leo's design. I am however saying that if you're going to make a guitar that is 90% the same as Leo's, I don't think you should tell others to not make one that is 99% the same as Leo's, that's all.

Anyway, the offer was genuine, I can only hope we somehow get to do that some day. First pint is on me, too :D

big mike
07-31-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't see it the same way I guess.

What I see, is guys are F influenced. Nothing wrong with that, agian you make what people will buy.

But as it pertains to this thread, I see one guy saying, sure it's influenced, but do it right, and don't circumvent the trademark LAWS.

That's the point I'm trying to get across...it's a LAW. Selling a guitar with someone else's name on it is infringement. I have more respect for guys using their own company names on a guitar. I wouldn't put a fake decal on my guitar.

mojocaster.com
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
On the decal issue, I am in agreement with you 100%.

big mike
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
So we're close...but the headstock shape is just as much of a trademark as the F logo.

;)

mojocaster.com
07-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree with that too.
Again, my only remark was to say that if you live in a glass house, don't start throwing stones around. That's pretty much it.

big mike
07-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Guess we're in disagreement on the stone. LOL

mojocaster.com
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Can we squeeze some blood out of it, though? :D

big mike
07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Only if it'll get me the dough for a sonic blue with maple board.....

npeoni
09-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone,
I am back, a month or two ago I posted a blog about my "Fiesta Red Telecaster" made by Rittenhouse.. I have since then received my new, "Sea Foam Green" Telecaster Deluxe with a maple strat neck.. I have not set this thing down since Abe got it here over a week ago.. I am getting ready to place an order on a J-master.. This guitar is unbelievable... The "checking" to the finish is spot on.. Modeled after a high end custom shop deluxe, I cant believe how perfect it turned out.. More sustain/resonance in this guitar than any other I own. Look through the older posts you will find a link to Flickr where I have pics posted of my other custom relics..
I will be posting photos of this guitar within the week.. Get ready..

<mod edit. Do not list you rfor sale items outside of the emporiums per the rules>

fenderball
09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
i am confused...arent you the guy who blasted them for a fiesta red guitar a while back? poor craftsmanship, etc???you really went off on them, or am i dreaming?

Hey everyone,
I am back, a month or two ago I posted a blog about my "Fiesta Red Telecaster" made by Rittenhouse.. I have since then received my new, "Sea Foam Green" Telecaster Deluxe with a maple strat neck.. I have not set this thing down since Abe got it here over a week ago.. I am getting ready to place an order on a J-master.. This guitar is unbelievable... The "checking" to the finish is spot on.. Modeled after a high end custom shop deluxe, I cant believe how perfect it turned out.. More sustain/resonance in this guitar than any other I own. Look through the older posts you will find a link to Flickr where I have pics posted of my other custom relics..
I will be posting photos of this guitar within the week.. Get ready..

<mod edit. Do not list you rfor sale items outside of the emporiums per the rules>

todd richman
09-18-2009, 07:31 AM
I think you may be referring to an old thread about Revelator Guitars from 2006 which got way out of hand. Personally both Rittenhouse and Revelatore are making great relic style guitars. Still, the stuff that is emerging from Dan Strain's workshop, aka Danocaster, is the best looking I have ever seen and from the owners I have either talked with or read comments from, the tones and playability are superb.

npeoni
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have been on gearpage.. Sorry, about the delay in posting the new photos.. I have been very busy.
The new guitar
Alright this guitar is a piece of work, Abe spared no expense..
It looks so good, all I can say is Abe your a geek. WOW really went all out..
Paint, and checking, pickups, overall craftsmanship amazing.. Wont see this baby for sale anytime soon..

here is the link to flickr enjoy! Will have a video posted soon from a show.. THis guitar has more sustain than one could ask for.. Thanks Abe..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903852@N03/

npeoni
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes I am the guy with the Fiesta Red. I was in no way pleased with the craftsmanship of that guitar and demanded a refund or rebuild. I decided, after speaking with Abe in person, he called me, that i would work with him. He agreed to build the Sea Foam, not only did he out do himself, he let me keep the Fiesta in the meantime, and shipped the Sea Foam Deluxe to me trusting me to ship him the guitar when I was happy. I can not speak for the general masses on this one, I do feel I received "special treatment". In no way am I slandering Rittenhouse, I just really really got a good one now.. I can only hope Rittenhouse takes the care, and uses the same level of quality with every order.. Still lovin my RS though..

Srvwannab
10-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd expect the RS to be better. (IMO no one does it better than RS for relic stuff).

I have an RS Old Friend Pine Esquire. It is in an incredible guitar. My favorite S style relic is a Nash. Both fantastic guitars.

lil' jimi
07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Guess we're in disagreement on the stone. LOL

is that a real stone or a relic?!?!? :boxer:bonk

Goldinho
12-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Hello, this is Detlev from Germany. I've read this about Rittenhouse guitars and want to give a feature too. I've bought a Rittenhouse Telecaster some time ago on ebay. The guitar was very nice, but the action and intonation was cruel, she was unplayable. The owner before was a singer in a band and played with that thing, I'm glad that I never heard them. He assuered that he got the guitar exactly in that setting from Rittenhouse directly. But there was no setting, the parts where mounted, not more. So I spend two or three hours with adjustment of the guitar and after customization with the big neck its a very wonderful guitar. Later I ordered an other body from Abe, the work is very great, but it needed a very long time ( very long is over 3 month...). That it. If you are able to set up a guitar and if you don't have time pressure, you will get a very great guitar. I own about 8 Fenders and 12 others, I'm a player since 30 years and I know what a good guitar should be....
Marry christmas, Detlev

sascha
02-12-2012, 03:50 AM
There's a Rittenhouse dealer in Germany now: http://www.saltydogguitars.de (http://www.saltydogguitars.de/)
Bought my Rittenhouse '62 Strat there in December, and it was set up quite good; Oliver of Salty Dog had already adjusted some things. Action of B and high E string needed further adjustment, which Oliver did, too. Now it's a very nice, expressive and well playing guitar. Compared to the 1991 Fender US Standard Strat that I used to play before, it sounds way better and way more expressive. Only downside is that tuning stability, especially when using the whammy bar, is not as good as on the Fender. But I guess this would be the case with a vintage Fender, too, since the 1990s US Standard Strats have a newer vibrato system modified for tuning stability. Here's a demo that I recently made:

Qll_1HP4Q_E