PDA

View Full Version : Tough time keeping Les Paul in tune

ehsaan
12-24-2008, 09:27 PM
hi all i just got myself a new gold top les paul ( with the 1962 neck ) like most new gibsons the nut had some kinks in it , i got that fixed by a luthier who filed the nut ever so slightly. still i cant seem to keep the g string in tune . i use .010 strings . any suggestions ? should i change the nut ?
please help
cheers
ehsaan
bombay , india

XKnight
12-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Make sure the strings are wound correctly and try some graphite, nut sauce, etc.

fumbler
12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Isn't it Mumbai these days?

Les Pauls should definitely stay in tune once they're set up (well, real Gibson ones at least). Here are a few ideas:
1. It's probably still the nut. If it still sticks then the slot needs to be filed again. Do you hear a "squink" when tuning the string? Also try some lubricant like a drop of machine oil or better yet graphite suspended in machine oil. They sell this as "Lock-Ease" in the states. I like to put this stuff on every point of contact: nut, saddle, trem block, string trees, etc. I do it (almost) every string change.
2. Always start with the string flat and then tune up to pitch.
3. Could be a bad string but that's more likely with wound strings (I'm guessing you use a plain G.) Still possible, though. Have you changed strings?
4. It's usually NOT the tuners. Even crappy tuners do the basic job of holding still when under tension.
5. If you have a lot of wraps around the tuner then this will take some time to stretch out but it should eventually settle down. You really only need one or two wraps for wound strings, two or three for plain strings (exception: the lightest strings .010, .009, .008 can slip through the tuner like a wet noodle so they need at least four wraps)

Hmm . . . noodles and wraps? I'm getting hungry.

Hope this helps

Noah
12-24-2008, 10:06 PM

I'd like to get a consensus on this. I've been told the exact opposite (start with the string sharp and tune down) and believed it for years. Which way is the correct one?

Zero
12-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't f around. I had a Gibson LP std. for awhile and bought a Schaller fine tuning tailpiece and installed a behind-the-nut string lock (Rockinger). Showed that thing who's BOSS.

Sean French
12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I never have tuning issues with my LP's.
First thing to do is have the nut filed properly.
Once that's done and the strings are properly installed,stretched and tuned you will be golden.:AOK

rickmebe
12-24-2008, 10:59 PM

I'd like to get a consensus on this. I've been told the exact opposite (start with the string sharp and tune down) and believed it for years. Which way is the correct one?

Correct: Start with the string flat and then tune up to pitch. Stretch and repeat until stable.

As always, YMMV... :cool:

shane88
12-24-2008, 11:48 PM
yes always tune up and 99% of the time the tuning prob is the nut

bilbal
12-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Check out this link. I had the same problem with both of my Les Pauls, Heritage H535, and ES-335. Eventually I will be swapping out the nuts for better cut replacements. I also like to push down on the string on both sides of the nut in case the string is getting caught in it.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2387952_bend-lock-new-guitar-strings.html

Butterscotch
12-25-2008, 04:55 AM
I string up this way and find it helps. First wind, or loop the string over the top of the projecting end, and then all the rest wound underneath as normal. It "grabs" the string when you tune up.

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/43608/2900601870062929858S600x600Q85.jpg (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2900601870062929858dznYYj)