PDA

View Full Version : MXR Dynacomp. Script vs. Block

zosozep7
01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I just bought a new Dynacomp and really like it. I have done some research on the pedal itself and I keep reading that the 70s script logo pedal is much better. Can anyone verify this?? I mean, is it worth that much more money then the new one? If so, what makes the script pedal so much better? Are the components different from the 70s issues? Can my new Dynacomp be modded to sound like a script from say Keeley?

popinvasion
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Many of the block logos have the script circuit and the 3080 chip. Mine sounds superb. I am selling/trading mine in the emporium. Just don't freak out about the script logo, sure they sell for $300 but I tell you mine is every bit as good and its a block logo.

popinvasion
01-01-2009, 11:06 PM
oh, well if its a new dunlop block logo then its a completely different animal and I suggest contacting analogman for some mods as yes they sound inferior. imo.

zosozep7
01-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I just noticed that MXR just released a 76 Vintage model that came out in November for $175 bucks! LOL! That sucks. Maybe I can take reguler Comp back for the new one! Ill have to call Guitar Center to see if they have them in.

analogmike
01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes you should try to return it and get the new script logo.

The tone is better on the script logo reissue (or any block or script original dynacomp). But the biggest difference is the construction, the script reissue and old ones are hand wired and work better that way (better jacks, etc) and can be easily fixed if they ever break, or modified if you want options.

Good luck!

zosozep7
01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks Mike! Im quickly becoming a compressor fan!

mrface2112
01-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Many of the block logos have the script circuit and the 3080 chip. Mine sounds superb. i picked one of these up last week, actually! it's a block logo box with the script back panel and 3080 chip on the inside. it sounds amazing (a little noise aside).

it was sitting in the case at my local guitar shop with a note "old MXR dyna comp, ask for price". turns out it was the owner's and he's had it since "the mid or late 70s and never really used it". the damn thing was mint in the original box. as they usually do, they let me take it home (b/c they know CASH comes back).

i took it to practice that night and long story short, this is the compressor i've always been looking for. not too squishy, not too grabby and full of tone fattening goodness.

the other guitarist remarked "man, you sounded great tonight--lots of great arpeggiation work over there!" and i said "thanks! thing is, i do that stuff every week....this was just the first week you could really hear it" and pointed at the dyna comp. one time i accidentally turned it off and wondered mid-song "what happened to the tone?"

every compressor i've used (CS2, CS3, BYOC 2-knobber, Route 66) has been either too grabby or too squishy. the BYOC was my previous favorite of the bunch, but sometimes when you'd hit a chord and then arpeggiate it, the first notes after the chord would get lost b/c there was no release setting and the compressor would clamp down on those notes. that's not the case with the dyna comp.

anyway.......this thing's not coming off my board. and the best part? i got it for $100.

cheers,
wade

zachman
01-20-2009, 02:59 AM
i picked one of these up last week, actually! it's a block logo box with the script back panel and 3080 chip on the inside. it sounds amazing (a little noise aside).

it was sitting in the case at my local guitar shop with a note "old MXR dyna comp, ask for price". turns out it was the owner's and he's had it since "the mid or late 70s and never really used it". the damn thing was mint in the original box. as they usually do, they let me take it home (b/c they know CASH comes back).

i took it to practice that night and long story short, this is the compressor i've always been looking for. not too squishy, not too grabby and full of tone fattening goodness.

the other guitarist remarked "man, you sounded great tonight--lots of great arpeggiation work over there!" and i said "thanks! thing is, i do that stuff every week....this was just the first week you could really hear it" and pointed at the dyna comp. one time i accidentally turned it off and wondered mid-song "what happened to the tone?"

every compressor i've used (CS2, CS3, BYOC 2-knobber, Route 66) has been either too grabby or too squishy. the BYOC was my previous favorite of the bunch, but sometimes when you'd hit a chord and then arpeggiate it, the first notes after the chord would get lost b/c there was no release setting and the compressor would clamp down on those notes. that's not the case with the dyna comp.

anyway.......this thing's not coming off my board. and the best part? i got it for $100.

cheers,
wade

Yup, some guys "get it", and some-- sadly, just don't

mrface2112
01-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Yup, some guys "get it", and some-- sadly, just don't i wish i'd "gotten it" years ago. as for the previous owner, he said he used it in his country band ages ago for when he needed that "compressed country lick" sound, but that was about it.........but for me, this is going to be an "always on" pedal.

cheers,
wade

LouRossi
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Old thread I know but I picked up the MXR 2000 series Dyna-Comp. Sounds good but was wondering how different this is to both the original & reissue scripts... Thx! Lou

Brian Maestro
12-16-2009, 12:34 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrr78qoetFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrr78qoetFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zosozep7
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow! Its hard to believe I wrote this post allmost year ago. Over that year I have grown to really appreciate the script 76. I have the regular version and the script and the script blows it away. I was using the Cmatmods Signa Comp for awhile and went back to my script and havent went back since. I could see me picking up another Script 76 just for a back up.

paintbox
12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I love my reissue. It's on most of the time, unless I'm using fuzz, which it ruins.

Regarding that vid up there- why does he have the output maxxed? Do any of you guys use it maxxed like that?

Brian Maestro
12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I love my reissue. It's on most of the time, unless I'm using fuzz, which it ruins.

Regarding that vid up there- why does he have the output maxxed? Do any of you guys use it maxxed like that?

I run the output at 3-5 o-clock and the compression at 9-11 o-clock. If I'm using it for slide then I'll back off the output and crank the compression.

throbert
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
How is the noise on the '76 RI? I remember having a Script Dyna Comp from around 1979 or 80 and while I really liked the pedal, it was kind of noisey especially running it through any kind of amplifier gain.

paintbox
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I run the output at 3-5 o-clock and the compression at 9-11 o-clock. If I'm using it for slide then I'll back off the output and crank the compression.

Well, I put it at 1-2 o'clock max. Any higher and I get massive coloration and practically overdrive, even. I wouldn't even think of diming it like he has it (which IS 5 o'clock, no?). Then again, I have humbuckers and two boosts in my chain, so it could just be my issues.