PDA

View Full Version : Ace Bass Players who use a pick....

mikeratan00
01-03-2009, 05:35 PM
McCartney

Who else??

01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Peter Hook
Dee Dee
Sid

rwe333
01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Chris Squire
Glenn Hughes
Martin Turner
John Glascock
Bob Daisley
Roger Glover
Jimmy Bain
Andy West
STEVE SWALLOW!
etc...

McCartney
Geddy Lee
Jack Bruce
Who else??

Lee and Bruce don't use picks...

jazzgtrl4
01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Phil Lesh
Mike Gordon

Smakutus
01-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Dug Pinnick, Tom Petersson, and Gene Simmons.

Jeff

jazzgtrl4
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Dug Pinnick, Tom Petersson, and Gene Simmons.

Jeff

I think he meant real Ace bass players...Has Gene Simmons gotten better?:rotflmao

Voxy Foxy
01-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I think he meant real Ace bass players...Has Gene Simmons gotten better?:rotflmao

He probably meant Richard Simmons.

I get them mixed up often too. :D:D:D

re-animator
01-03-2009, 07:03 PM
ace of bass?

amoodymule
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
:bong Allen Woody did!

nmontz
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Carol Kaye

SGNick
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I know that John Paul Jones is a non-Pick player, but some of the BBC session recordings just REALLY sound like a big throaty bass played with a pick....

'70 RS
01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Entwistle did/didn't/did all during the same song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCr6nryoowM&feature=related

Flyin' Brian
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Chas Chandler of The Animals

Alastorbr
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
John Stirratt of Wilco.

rwe333
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
also...
Phil Lynott
Bert Ruiter
Noel Redding
John Deacon, on occasion...

Joe Gamble
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Anthony Jackson!!!

telecopter
01-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Peter Cetera- very underrated bass player.

jimfog
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Joe Osborn!!

Telecaster62
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I HATE the sound of a bass played with a pick. YUCK YUCK YUCK. I'm a guitar player and when I do play bass I use 3 fingers and NO Dang PICK!!!!
Proper bass should NEVER be played with a pick!!!!!
Hey, it's just my little hangup so nobody get your panties in a wad........

gkoelling
01-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Tim Collins

I've had the pleasure of his friendship for over 30 years and being in a band with him more than once. The man is amazing on bass and uses a pick/finger hybrid system that gets a tone I've never heard elsewhere. It's his own invention and is something to hear.

He's in Twin Lakes, WI and deserves to be known. Besides, he's catching up to me in age and if he doesn't make it soon, he and I will be sitting on the nursing home front porch telling stories to the young nurses about our musical conquests. :)

gkoelling
01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I HATE the sound of a bass played with a pick. YUCK YUCK YUCK. I'm a guitar player and when I do play bass I use 3 fingers and NO Dang PICK!!!!

The voice of inexperience and a closed mind.

Spentmusic
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I play bass and use both pick and fingers depending on what the song calls for or what the bass player I'm copying used. Only problem is I can't put myself in the same place as the players named earlier!!! Well, maybe Gene. LOL

billdurham
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Dave Hope Kansas
Billy Greer Kansas
Phil Linot Thin Lizzy

B_of_H
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
dave schools of widespread panic (although he only uses a pick half the time)

Smakutus
01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
You guys need to get off Gene.. He had some cool walking bass lines in some of those early KISS tunes. Plus he was a pretty good showman. Mach Shau!

Jeff

The Last Rebel
01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden.

Nick67
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM

I guess he told us...as long as it sounds good who cares what they use...

guitgator
01-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Leon Wilkerson of Skynyrd...but you wouldn't know it most of the time....

Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash....you definitely knew he was using a pick....and sometimes overdrive. "Don't Come Back" from the There's The Rub album showcases Turner at his grittiest.

Telecaster62
01-04-2009, 01:09 AM
gkoelling,
The voice of inexperience huh? Let's see I started gigging in 1976 and have played lead guitar and bass in several touring bands. It may be the voice of someone who's taste differs from yours but certainly is NOT the voice of inexperience. People who make blanket statements about others without knowing anything about them are ignorant and stupid.

Alastorbr
01-04-2009, 01:12 AM
You guys need to get off Gene.. He had some cool walking bass lines in some of those early KISS tunes. Plus he was a pretty good showman. Mach Shau!

Jeff

Sorry, but this really made me lose any good feelings I had for Gene Simmon's bass playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vdZ_b0l_U

Jahn
01-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Peter Hook. Addicted to his approach with Joy Division/New Order.

The Golden Boy
01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
gkoelling,
People who make blanket statements about others without knowing anything about them are ignorant and stupid.

Hmm...

The Golden Boy
01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I've only been gigging since 1986, and been a bass player primarily during that time. "My" style is about 95% with a pick, 5% fingers. However, if I'm doing covers- it depends on what the song is and how I feel like approaching it.

Roadeye
01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Bootsy's my benchmark - he never did!

DG
01-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Funny, I'm the other way, for rock music. Slightly crunchy bass with a pick just locks in better with the rhythm guitar, instead of the fingers/tuba bass tone. Now there are some guys that get a nice sharp attack out of the fingers/thumb even, Stanley Clarke and John Entwhistle come to mind.......

Another pick bass player, Rick Price from the Move, MASSIVE bass tone!

DocLovett
01-04-2009, 10:56 AM
gkoelling,
The voice of inexperience huh? Let's see I started gigging in 1976 and have played lead guitar and bass in several touring bands. It may be the voice of someone who's taste differs from yours but certainly is NOT the voice of inexperience. People who make blanket statements about others without knowing anything about them are ignorant and stupid.

Kinda like when people say things like...

Proper bass should NEVER be played with a pick!!!!! :rotflmao Lighten up for Pete's sake.

Telecaster62
01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm fine with the attacks and no need to lighten up. I made a statement about my preferences for bass which are contrary to what is proposed by the thread. I used IMHO and never said it was a concrete truth. I also said for nobody to get their panties in a wad about my opinion. Within a couple of posts I'm attacked as inexperienced and close minded. I still say a real bass player doesn't use or need to rely on a pick. It's my opinion bassed on my EXPERIENCE of working with excellent bassists. I see most bass players who use picks as converted guitar players who are either too lazy to learn to play the bass properly or don't have the talent to do so. Again, it's my opinion and it is shared by a large community of bass players. You guys lighten up and learn the difference between a stated opinion and a personal attack. I hate bass played with a pick, it's my personal opinion. One may not like chili and beans but you don't say someone is wrong because they eat chili and beans. I didn't say players who use the pick are wrong, they are just wrong to me. To each his own, just layoff the personal attacks.

arthur rotfeld
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
When dealing with covers, I adopt (and urge my student to adopt) the method used on the recording. If your style dictates one or the other go with it.

Steve Swallow is my pick.

I think there is some truth to what Tele says in #38. My pick comes out at some point on any long gig I play bass on. I don't have the stamina to play 2-4 hours on bass with fingers exclusively.

kwaves99
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
gkoelling,

i guess it was your original statement that proper bass should never be played with a pick.

Tell that to Phil Lesh and Steve Swallow.

rwe333
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, but do listen to some Steve Swallow and get back to us. Steve is one of the few electric bassists that come to jazz from an actual jazz background (he was an upright player in his early days). Ground-breaking musician.
And mos def there are rock band leaders that prefer the sound of electric bass w/ a pick - Ritchie Blackmore, etc...

rwe333
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Well known as a fingers-only bass player...

01-04-2009, 12:48 PM

I prefer improper bass.;)

c_mac
01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Duff McKagan is a great bass player and he is a pick only player.

01-04-2009, 01:25 PM

I still say a real bass player doesn't use or need to rely on a pick

I see most bass players who use picks as converted guitar players who are either too lazy to learn to play the bass properly or don't have the talent to do so.

People who make blanket statements about others without knowing anything about them are ignorant and stupid.

I think you just stated that you are ignorant and stupid.

Again, it's my opinion and it is shared by a large community of bass players. You guys lighten up...just layoff the personal attacks.

It appears that you are the one on the attack.

Wow. Look in a mirror dude. You should lighten up. We aren't crapping on YOUR thread about Ace Bass Players who play with their fingers.

You came in here looking for a fight and you got it. Have you ever considered that some people think that many, if not most finger playing bassists are little more than low frequency generators with no definition? A low rumbling oscillator. If that's the sound you like, o.k. then. You can have it. I bet it does fit with some music. It works with reggae and dub. and it works for music that requires an invisible, non-distinct bass sound. And yes I'm sure you'll be able to find the exception and point out a finger twiddling bassist who cuts through the mix and you can actually hear that they are playing notes. John Entwistle is a good example.

This thread started as a simple list of bassists who play with a pick. It wasn't asking for anything else. Maybe you should go to this thread http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=472665 and complain that a proper breakfast is bacon, eggs and black coffee. that makes just as much sense.

:drink:drink:drink:drink:drink:drink:drink:drink

tastylicks
01-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice and easy now let me say (without having read what I imagine is an argumentative thread) that I personally do not like the tone of a bass played with a pick, or perhaps don't like the genres of music where that type of bass tone fits well. A few exceptions like Mr. McC and a couple others. But even on a great record with cool bass playing like Joe Jackson's Look Sharp, I think it would have been better (to my ears, don't forget) with a fingerstyle bassist.
I also am not into slapping.
Thank you.

Bassomatic
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Some of my fave pick guys:

Squire
Macca
Tony Levin (sometimes uses one)
Darryl Jenifer from Bad Brains (sometimes uses one - what a sound!)

Bassomatic
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
But even on a great record with cool bass playing like Joe Jackson's Look Sharp, I think it would have been better (to my ears, don't forget) with a fingerstyle bassist.

That's the terrific Graham Maybe - great player.

Tone_Terrific
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
If you use a pick to make the bass sound inappropriate for the style and sound of the music you are not an 'Ace' player.
Same for fingers.

gkoelling
01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
gkoelling,

So, you know nothing about me and say these things but I'm ignorant and stupid?

Give it a big ol' sloppy kiss pal.

DG
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
That's the terrific Graham Maybe - great player.

Maby is da name, just in case anyone wants to look it up (sorry basso). He's a NJ native these days...........

And agreed, great player! Doesn't use a pick anymore tho, IIRC. I've seen him a few times over the past 10 yrs or so, fingers.....

fyrwyr
01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Andy from the original Dixie Dregs, can't remember his last name off hand...

DG
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I still say a real bass player doesn't use or need to rely on a pick. It's my opinion bassed on my EXPERIENCE of working with excellent bassists. I see most bass players who use picks as converted guitar players who are either too lazy to learn to play the bass properly or don't have the talent to do so. Again, it's my opinion and it is shared by a large community of bass players. You guys lighten up and learn the difference between a stated opinion and a personal attack. I hate bass played with a pick, it's my personal opinion.

Ok, MY personal opinion........

I really don't dig bass players that have to play with their fingers and can't get the attack that's required. I can't tell you how many bass players out there just don't get it. But I've had experiences with excellent bass players that do both, with great results. Some on records that you have heard, I'm sure. They get it. They are not lazy to learn with the fingers. They just have the option to do whats required. Jeeez, when I first started to play bass (in the 60's), I played with the fingers, until I heard Chris Squire. Then I played with a pick. I still play (when I do, I mainly play guitar) bass either way, but I do prefer the pick and a crunchy amp, god forbid.....

It's all about the attack, many guys out there do get it with the fingers, John Wetton is another. You really need it in rock. IMHO.

I hate bass played with the fingers, it's my personal opinion (sorry had to say it, not really, I like both, as long as it's done well;))

telelion
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I know the OP's original thread title and apologize for going with the OT part of the thread but here it goes, in all due respect.

There are times when a pick I am sure works better for the sound but I have to admit I am in the camp that I would never be in a band hiring a bass player that plays with a pick. I'll go one step further. I also would never hire one that did not play a Fender style bass but I am a rock/country/blues/pop player, not a fusion/jazz player or some other style where other basses are fine.

It is just that the sound to me of an electric bass, Leo captured perfectly and played with one's fingers it captures the essences of the left hand of a grand piano. A pick does not get that. Using one's fingers is like playing classical guitar(which I play) and for me I just hear a bass player needing the ability to play "rest strokes" which a pick cannot do. Or maybe I'm wrong and a pick can produce the "grand piano" sound and can deliver on the rest strokes but I think not in my experience. As far as ability, great players have surely used picks. I just hate the sound and decay of it but I am sure there are many times I couldn't tell the difference. But other times, essential IMO.

DG
01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
It is just that the sound to me of an electric bass, Leo captured perfectly and played with one's fingers it captures the essences of the left hand of a grand piano. A pick does not get that. IMO.

Totally wrong IMO, The Pick facilitates the whole piano sound. With the fingers, most guys don't get that attack, more like a tuba.....

RickC
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Okay, here's my blanket statement contribution to this thread. In my experience, most of the "real bass players only use fingers" flak comes either from someone who doesn't actually play bass, or has no idea how to actually use pick on a bass effectively. Pick gives you *more* control and more options, not less. And in general, it's easier to get a good sound that cuts through with one.

A good player can sound just like fingers with a pick; on the other hand, I can't think of anyone who can do the reverse.

The one advantage to fingers is that it facilitates multi-string jumps, and of course things like slaps, pops and tapping.

/rick

telelion
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Totally wrong IMO, The Pick facilitates the whole piano sound. With the fingers, most guys don't get that attack, more like a tuba.....

Good reply Doog and I see your point in the attack as even a mediocre pick player is in the "piano" ballpark as opposed to a bad fingerstyle player who is mud. But you said "most guys." The "good ones" know this and have the proper attack and sound like a piano, with the piano decay. And my point on the Fender bit is just sorry, no Hofners or Gibson basses for me unless you really want the tuba sound, regardless of technique.

rwe333
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Andy West (mentioned a few pages back)...

Alastorbr
01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
. I still say a real bass player doesn't use or need to rely on a pick. It's my opinion bassed on my EXPERIENCE of working with excellent bassists. I see most bass players who use picks as converted guitar players who are either too lazy to learn to play the bass properly or don't have the talent to do so. Again, it's my opinion and it is shared by a large community of bass players.

Is that so? I started playing bass first and I've always played with a pick. The muscles in my right hand won't bend like that from cerebral palsy, so even if I WANTED to play bass with my fingers, I can't, unless I take years of expensive orthopedic training. I wasn't lazy. When I play bass in a band, I usually get a large amount of compliments telling me I'm a "talented bass player". So obviously, I must be talented enough to do something with the bass. Besides, I just LIKE the sound of a pick better.

ghost
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM

+1

No pick, and I don't use them gay ass "fret" things on my bass neither...

Bassomatic
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Maby is da name, just in case anyone wants to look it up (sorry basso). He's a NJ native these days.......

Not at all - thanks for the correction.

01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
+1

No pick, and I don't use them gay ass "fret" things on my bass neither...

Either Jaco Pastorius or Mick Karn has entered the building.

michaelvincent
01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction): obvious debt to Peter Hook in style, but he was a solid, creative bassist for sure. I started on bass and he was without a doubt my #1 influence.

DG
01-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Good reply Doog and I see your point in the attack as even a mediocre pick player is in the "piano" ballpark as opposed to a bad fingerstyle player who is mud. But you said "most guys." The "good ones" know this and have the proper attack and sound like a piano, with the piano decay. And my point on the Fender bit is just sorry, no Hofners or Gibson basses for me unless you really want the tuba sound, regardless of technique.

I think the key here is LONG SCALE. The Thunderbird Gibby basses have the twang needed for a piano bass (As a Fender Jazz or Precision). Now, an EBO (short scale SG lookin bass) I guess not. And using a not so clean amp (Ampeg SVT, Marshall 100 watter, Fender Bassman even) Kinda helps those piano like frequencies to jump out. There are a few guys that get that twang out of their fingers, but not many. Like I said before, I've seen Stanley (Clarke) do it and John Wetton and Entwhistle. That's about it. You guys hip me to more if ya know (pick with finger tone).

I've worked with a producer for many years trying to get these kinda sounds out of em (bass players). A few he sent packing OR let them do their thing, and I'd go back to redo their tracks. That used to be done all the time....We still talk about it, he hears that "br-br-br-br" and it's out the door, lol...."Doug? Interested in playing some bass trax?" lol....

Nick67
01-05-2009, 07:27 AM
As a bass and guitar player, my biggest complaint about finger style bass players is..(and I am sure it is a technique thing). A lot of finger guys I have heard don't attack it properly, and you get all this clanging of the the frets while they play. So the notes get banged up by the strings getting clanged against the frets. Unless the player has a great approach and can fingerstyle with out all the fret board noise, I prefer a pick player.Also, a pick can deliver a little more attack when needed.

SGNick
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Lol... thumpy, yes, but a tuba my Hofner is not.

Teh RedWizard
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Robert DeLeo...and JPJ did sometimes use a pick.

rwe333
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Marco Mendoza is an incredible bass player (and vocalist) who plays a range of jazz material w/ Joey Heredia and Renata Neto (among others). Fingers, fretless... Total badass.

He's also in heavy demand as a hard rock sideman (Thin Lizzy, Nugent, Whitesnake, Lynch Mob, Blue Murder...) and uses a pick if asked/needed...

Ya do what ya need...

ChrisP
01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Personally, I like the sound of a pick more then the sound of fingers but I almost always toss my pick once I start playing. I just love the control / feel of fingers.
Phil is in my top 3 which is probably why I like the sound of a pick.

franksguitar
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
It all depends on the song, bass styles, attack & type of music. i.e some folks excel with just their fingers and others may have started on a pick or are tying to emulate bass piano strings using a pick like Chris Squire, or difficult staccato passages and some bass players obviously are just lazy. A pick would not sound good on certain musical genres like r & b, & blues and others a pick is acceptable in rock genres. I think the issue is what one perceives to be acceptable or not maintaining authenticity

Yngtchie Blacksteen
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen

mtlin
01-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm fine with the attacks and no need to lighten up. I made a statement about my preferences for bass which are contrary to what is proposed by the thread. I used IMHO and never said it was a concrete truth. I also said for nobody to get their panties in a wad about my opinion. Within a couple of posts I'm attacked as inexperienced and close minded. I still say a real bass player doesn't use or need to rely on a pick. It's my opinion bassed on my EXPERIENCE of working with excellent bassists. I see most bass players who use picks as converted guitar players who are either too lazy to learn to play the bass properly or don't have the talent to do so. Again, it's my opinion and it is shared by a large community of bass players. You guys lighten up and learn the difference between a stated opinion and a personal attack. I hate bass played with a pick, it's my personal opinion. One may not like chili and beans but you don't say someone is wrong because they eat chili and beans. I didn't say players who use the pick are wrong, they are just wrong to me. To each his own, just layoff the personal attacks.

You have no idea what you're talking about, IMHO. Don't get your panties in a wad, that's just my opinion.

Telecaster62
01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Yep, and opinions are just like something else that everybody has. Obviously you mtlin have a very LARGE opinion. That's my opinion.

TNJ
01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I've played some bass in my time...still do occasionally.
I used to use a felt pick all the time. Chris Squire was one of my early heroes...seeing him use a pick made it o.k. for me.
Later, the funk guys came along with the snap/pop approach, and I got into jazz a bit more...finger style ruled at that point for me.

Nothing wrong with either approach...both have musical merit, IMO.

S.
j

cadduc
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
john entwistle
played with and without
and as someone posted earlier, sometimes switching back and forth between, in the same tune

it doesnt matter

i will do what i want

when i want

when i am playing bass in any tune at any time

so there

DG
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Later, the funk guys came along with the snap/pop approach, and I got into jazz a bit more...finger style ruled at that point for me.

Nothing wrong with either approach...both have musical merit, IMO.

I knew a guy who used to play with his thumb only, whack the strings and would get the pick attack (when required, he could slap like a mofo). Actually was a little different, kinda fatter, really cool sound.........

The Golden Boy
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I knew a guy who used to play with his thumb only, whack the strings and would get the pick attack (when required, he could slap like a mofo). Actually was a little different, kinda fatter, really cool sound.........

I saw a dude play with his thumb as versatile as any bass player I've seen. I can see where the "tug bar" fingerrests would be handy for that style of playing. I sure as hell couldn't do it. Then again, it's said Jamerson ONLY played with his index finger.

RichSZ
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Lemmy.

telelion
01-06-2009, 04:28 PM
As I have stated, I vastly prefer fingerstyle, but Sting for me has no attack or sound from his thumb technique, just mud and no snap. What is up with that for you bass player affficianados? Does he sound okay to you? His lines are good I guess(I mean he is the composer) and I surely respect Mr. Sumners as a great artist but I'll take him anyday sans him on bass.

Why don't acoustic bass players play with picks?

Jonathan
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Justin Chancellor

Cymbaline
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM

I thought he used his fingers?
Killer player though, regardless.

Jason Newsted uses a pick, too.

The Golden Boy
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM

If you mean upright players, there's the whole body mechanics of it- it's more difficult. You also "generally" pluck the strings differently on an upright, and it's a thing about the much longer scale, the thickness of the strings, the need for unamplified volume and again, the body mechanics of it. Most people are going to suggest that you pluck the string with the side of your index finger, rather than using the pads of your finger.

BIGGERSTAFF
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Barry Oakley
Mike Gordon
Phil Lesh
Bobby Vega
Oteil Burbridge

Oteil may use a pick at times, but I'd hardly call him a pick player. John Entwistle used a pick sometimes too, but he's not known for it either.

BIGGERSTAFF
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Andy West. He's also a great finger style bass player too. The pick was for specific sounds, and he used fingers when that wasn't called for.

Bryan T
01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Tony Levin (sometimes uses one)

Any examples of TL using a pick off the top of your head?

Luke
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Guy from Iron Maiden

ChrisP
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Guy from Iron Maiden
that's Steve Harris and i'm pretty sure he uses his fingers.
Oteil uses his fingers as well...edit Sometimes Oteils uses a pick.

Cosmic
01-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Just because it pisses off people like Telecaster62 i am going to keep using a pick when I feel like it.

Cosmic
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM
As I have stated, I vastly prefer fingerstyle, but Sting for me has no attack or sound from his thumb technique, just mud and no snap. What is up with that for you bass player affficianados? Does he sound okay to you? His lines are good I guess(I mean he is the composer) and I surely respect Mr. Sumners as a great artist but I'll take him anyday sans him on bass.

Sting sounded tight in the old Police days when he was sporting a plectrum. I agree, his later stuff is not as tight -- a little "flabbier" if you will.

Rotten
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow! I saw this thread and thought it would so obviously be a Chris Squire thread; but, barely a mention. I remember reading a GP interview with Stanley Clarke back in the '70s when he discussed how much he respected Chris's playing with a pick. He really took advantage of what a pick could do. I just assumed he was the most well-known pick player. Guess I'm getting old.

Bassomatic
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Any examples of TL using a pick off the top of your head?

Definitely while covering Squire's stuff in Yes, but there are others, too. I remember seeing him use a pick on more than one occasion, but the memory is not what it used to be.

JohnSS
01-23-2010, 02:08 PM
As someone who plays bass fairly regularly, along with electric & acoustic 6/12 string, lap steel and dobro, I use fingers, a pick and sometimes a thumbpick with fingers (for harmonics) - depending on the song. I dispute the idea that there is only "one way" to play any instrument. To answer the thread re. ace players who use picks, here are a few whose names I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Greg Lake
Jon Camp of Renaissance
Glen Matlock
Jack Casady (who normally uses fingers but sometimes used a pick on his Jazz Bass w/the Airplane and a thumbpick w/SVT)
Bill Wyman

Anna_Laurel
01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
He probably meant Richard Simmons.

I get them mixed up often too. :D:D:D

:rotflmao:rotflmao

Steeltoe
01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Each style has it's place.
For hard rock, it's best to be pickstyle.
How about these picksters:

Felix Papalardi
Mel Schacher

bigdaddy
01-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Peter Cetera- very underrated bass player.

The guy who single-handedly ruined Chicago?

mattwasserman
01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Dont know if he's been mentioned but Berry Oakley used a pick as far as I know.

fyrwyr
01-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Dave Hope of Kansas

freedom's door
01-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction): obvious debt to Peter Hook in style, but he was a solid, creative bassist for sure. I started on bass and he was without a doubt my #1 influence.

Agreed- many of the classic Jane's tunes originated with Eric's bass parts.

Also-

Dee Dee Ramone

bigcatJC
01-24-2010, 02:23 AM

I'll probably start playing with a pick MORE just because of this. :)

BIGGERSTAFF
01-24-2010, 02:48 AM

I've never seen Steve use a pick.

solphilcox
01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Glen Hughes.

Tommy shannon on occasion.

A lot of metal/punk bassists use picks and rule at it

Ian Anderson
01-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Rob Wright from NOMEANSNO

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mj9FhrlEh0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mj9FhrlEh0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ephi82
01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Highly entertaining "drama queen" thread lol 7 pages!

Howie Epstein used a pick

As said many other ways, it's all about the sound the song needs. Can you imagine james jamerson licks played with the "sound" of a pick....hell no, but by the same token there are many classic recordings that wouldn't sound the same without a picked bass tone...

art_z
01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
nope

art_z
01-24-2010, 08:56 AM
As someone who plays bass fairly regularly, along with electric & acoustic 6/12 string, lap steel and dobro, I use fingers, a pick and sometimes a thumbpick with fingers (for harmonics) - depending on the song. I dispute the idea that there is only "one way" to play any instrument. To answer the thread re. ace players who use picks, here are a few whose names I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Greg Lake
Jon Camp of Renaissance
Glen Matlock
Jack Casady (who normally uses fingers but sometimes used a pick on his Jazz Bass w/the Airplane and a thumbpick w/SVT)
Bill Wyman

Glen Matlock does not use a pick