PDA

View Full Version : Divided By 13 EDT 13/29 Speakers

RRClassic
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello to all EDT owners. I have been on the hunt for a speaker that would out perform the stock Celestion Vintage 30. It was an expensive path but I finally have some results. The speakers I tried were

1. All speakers that would handle above 30 watts
2. Scumback-H75-Scumnico
3. EV-EVM12L-SRO
4. JBL -D120 and E120
5. Eminence - All
6. Warehouse Speakers - All
7. Celestion-All

All of them had their strengths and weaknesses but the clear winner for the EDT was the Warehouse Speakers Blackhawk HP (100 watt). The lows do not get bloated like everything else, it retains a piano like quality all the way through the frequencies. The Highs are smooth without artifacts and the mids are very sweet. This is a tough amp to match with the pefect speaker but to my ears this Blackhawk HP was by far the best.

Just an FYI for those interested.

SkydogFan81
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for testing, any soundfiles? I have thought about changing my speakers (Blue and V30). I'd like to try a scumnico and an Austin Speaker Works AlNiCo, but I don't have the dime to drop right now.

firelt9
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Very Interesting! This is a clone of the Jensen Jet Blackbird right? I have been beginning to wonder if an american voiced speaker would sound best in the EDT. Another forum member went through a similar search for speaks with his EDT and ended up with the ASW elegant alnico. There is a clip of one on you tube with and XITS X50 amp and it sounds pretty killer.

Right now I am digging a blue with a scumback H75. The tough part for me is I want the speakers to work with other amps as well.:jo

Sniper-V
01-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Hmmm, interesting indeed...

I've got a Scumback H75 65-watter in a D13 1x12 cab for my EDT head. It definitely can get a little boomy if you're not careful. I'm not a big V30 fan so, I'm open to suggestions on something with more clarity, cut, chime, and mids. Something that will really go well with the KT66 power section and the voicing.

I'm a big fan of the Alnico Blues and was thinking of trying the Gold, Scumnico, or even the ASW Alnico offering. But the Warehouse Speaker Blackhawk seems very interesting...

Any clips of the comparrisions?

firelt9
01-23-2009, 03:51 PM

I've got a Scumback H75 65-watter in a D13 1x12 cab for my EDT head. It definitely can get a little boomy if you're not careful. I'm not a big V30 fan so, I'm open to suggestions on something with more clarity, cut, chime, and mids. Something that will really go well with the KT66 power section and the voicing.

I'm a big fan of the Alnico Blues and was thinking of trying the Gold, Scumnico, or even the ASW Alnico offering. But the Warehouse Speaker Blackhawk seems very interesting...

Apologies for being OT but I notice you (Sniper V) have an FTR as well as the EDT you mention above. Do you find them similar since they have the same preamp voicing in the 12AX& channel?

Sniper-V
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Apologies for being OT but I notice you (Sniper V) have an FTR as well as the EDT you mention above. Do you find them similar since they have the same preamp voicing in the 12AX& channel?

Yes, there are some similarities in the EDT from the FTR which is one reason I love it. FTR has a huge tone and somewhat scooped, so I naturally miss the mids you get from the British-voiced RSA models. The EDT has been somewhat of a balance of an FTR with more mids of a RSA. So it has worked as a happy medium for me and also be totally its own thing at the same time.

firelt9
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I had the chance to trade the EDT for an FTR and I felt I might miss some of the mids. I still want more though!!

Yes, there are some similarities in the EDT from the FTR which is one reason I love it. FTR has a huge tone and somewhat scooped, so I naturally miss the mids you get from the British-voiced RSA models. The EDT has been somewhat of a balance of an FTR with more mids of a RSA. So it has worked as a happy medium for me and also be totally its own thing at the same time.

RRClassic
01-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Very Interesting! This is a clone of the Jensen Jet Blackbird right? I have been beginning to wonder if an american voiced speaker would sound best in the EDT. Another forum member went through a similar search for speaks with his EDT and ended up with the ASW elegant alnico. There is a clip of one on you tube with and XITS X50 amp and it sounds pretty killer.

Right now I am digging a blue with a scumback H75. The tough part for me is I want the speakers to work with other amps as well.:jo

Interestingly enough Warehouse speakers supplies ASW with a lot of their materials. The Blackhawk is supposed to be like the Jensen but it is way more dynamic and more brilliant. I found the Jensen to be dark. So far I have played a Trainwreck and Stephenson through this speaker and it was fantastic. I am waiting for more breakin but it is the lows that are tremendous on the Blackhawk...very punchy and focused which really helps the EDT.

RRClassic
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM

No clips to date but I can work on it!!