PDA

View Full Version : Best amp for punk rock?

alvagoldbook
01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Thinking of getting an amp for punk rock. Thinking Mesa or Marshall. Any suggestions on what I should get?:BEER

Gnarlly
01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
An old, loud Marshall (single channel JCM800 or older).

?&!
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM
An old, loud Marshall (single channel JCM800 or older).

+1. JCM800s are punk rock perfection.

boogieplaya
01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Another vote for the jcm800. single channel.

wsaraceni
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
old punk rock or new punk rock?

i like

old: jcm 800
new: bogner uberschall

imguitardan
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Sovtek Mig100H (if you can find 'em) will do the trick on the cheap.

alvagoldbook
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
old punk rock or new punk rock?

i like

old: jcm 800
new: bogner uberschall

Just a little old.

Darkburst
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
70's punk: 100w or 50w Plexi or Metalface

Later: 100w or 50w JCM800

cugel
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
wasnt nevermind the bollocks a twin reverb wide open
i say try that for the most punk tone out there
marshall is too generic
stand out and crank the twin

daysleeper
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Any amp you can steal off the back of someone else's truck. Extra points if it's the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac.

Johnnythunders
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
For old punk back in 1975 I used a Traynor YBA-1 with a Big Muff into a Marshall 4x12 with clapped out Greenbacks until they blew and went with a BlackFace Twin.

It was close but I think the Twin was louder.

Today's punk I have no idea something expensive I would guess.

jorgenegeland
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
marshall is too generic

I believe the "Nevermind the bollocks" were recorded with a Les Paul Custom through an MXR Distortion+ into a Twin Reverb and overdubbed like crazy so the sound is kinda "pseudo-chorused".

wsaraceni
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
i think the great thing about punk rock is anything with a good distortion will work.

plexi
jcm800
mesa rectifier
bogner uberschall
bad cat hot cat
diezel einstein
bogner shiva
pretty much any orange

i changed my mind. if i start a punk band, i want an orange or-120

ToneGrail
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
The archetypal punk sound pioneered by the Ramones was a Plexi wide open with a Moserite. However, they didn't set any hard and fast rules about what "punk rock" guitar should sound like. While a lot of bands that followed the Ramones had that sound, many did not. In fact, there were even bands that had cleanish guitar sounds and everything in between. The newer bands like NOFX and such have a scooped metallic tone to their sound because they use Rectifiers.

I suppose it depends on what type of punk guitar sound you're going after. If you're doing the Ramones type thing, then yes, a Marshall Plexi or 800 will get you there. However, if you're trying to sound more like the early Clash, The Jam, Souisxie, the Adverts, the Buzzocks, etc, well then a maxed out Vox AC30 or even a Fender Twin with a pedal will get you reasonably close as those bands had a janglier "lo-fi" sound. Is it going to work if you want to sound like DRI? Probably not.

The bottom line is that it depends on which subgenre of punk you're intending to play.

studiodunn
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
J
m
p
!

kludge
01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Cheap. And LOUD.

If you're paying a thousand bucks for an amp, you ain't playing punk.

Knuckles
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Saw Bad Religion a couple months ago, great sounds. Baker had a white JCM800 and what looked like a plexi, and Hetson had his 800 and a Dual Recto. Both played Les Pauls (Hetson's was an LP/SG).

doc
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Old beat up Peavey, as big, loud and cheap as you can find. Preferably solid state, as they're more obnoxious sounding. It has to be stolen or from the pawn shop.

WesKuhnley
01-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Cheap. And LOUD.

Rules about what's punk and what ain't isn't very punk at all now is it?

My suggestion, go for something Marshall-esq. Sovtek, Peavey Classic series with a fuzz pedal, even a 70's fender pro or super reverb is a great punk rock amp.

indravayu
01-23-2009, 04:49 PM

My suggestion, go for something Marshall-esq. Sovtek, Peavey Classic series with a fuzz pedal, even a 70's fender pro or super reverb is a great punk rock amp.

He has a point, though - it's not very punk to be a tone hound! :) The whole ethos seems to be "play with what you've got".

kludge
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM

:barf

As a child of the 1980s, I can safely say that "rules about what's punk and what ain't" are one of the defining features of punk. And rebelling against those fashionista formalities is also a defining feature of punk. The Punk Police are every bit as narrowminded and condescending as Jazz Police or Classical Police.

That said, someone's suggestion of Sovtek is an excellent one. Peavey, too. Punk Police or not, I find it a little difficult to take a Boogie seriously as a "punk" amp! Unless it was stolen, of course. :BEER Yeah, give me some nice, heavy, simple, mass-production tube amp!

michael.e
01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I am using this....
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/DSC00370.jpg

'73 DR504 and an original '72 4-12 w/cast Fanes

Our music ranges from Old School, '77, to Psycobilly, to more rock oriented numbers.

michael.e
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Really?

Good thing I did not pay a thousand bucks for this rig then... :D

michael.e
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
The whole ethos seems to be "play with what you've got".

I am, I am!! This is all i've got, kinda....... :(

studiodunn
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Cheap. And LOUD.

Punk is not caring what anyone on this forum says and doing what you want.

michael.e
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM

You know what???!!

You can say that, BUT I JUST DON'T GIVE A CRAP!!!!! :mob:BITCH

:BITCH:BITCH

:D

01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
JCM 800 single channel. Hiwatt. Orange. Or an amp that sounds like them.

I disagree when people say you should play any amp you happen to have for "punk". If you happen to have good sounding gear - then of course use what you have. I've seen too many bands playing with horrible sounding amps. Just this week I saw a band and both guitarists had awful sounding, shrill, noisy, thin amps. All this crap that you have to not pay much for gear or you should steal it to be "punk" is just dumb B.S. Where can I get a copy of the "Punk Rock Rule Book"? All copies of "Punk Rock Instructional Guidelines" have been stolen from my library. :worried

Here are some amps I think would sound good.

JCM 800
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumxwWim-1U&feature=channel_page

Hiwatt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVGjonKABQ

another Hiwatt clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVxoniO-uY

Orange - watch at 2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBm9JKisP7Y&feature=related

another model - watch at 1:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdTmJhvnzlg&feature=channel_page

another model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcQRcA03eU&feature=channel

01-23-2009, 06:22 PM

yeah, well the OP WANTED to ask for amp recommendations. That's what he WANTED to do :messedup:messedup

SatelliteAmps
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
What kind of punk rock are we talking about? Clash? Misfits? DK? TSOL? All? Descendents? Social Distortion? Green Day? Jawbreaker (Boxcar seems very appropriate right now)? Bad Religion? Suicidal Tendencies? Black Flag? Fear?

Most of those bands used either Twins, or Marshalls.
Fear used Hiwatt at times (Lee Ving did, while the other guy used Marshall, usually)
Black Flag used a solid state PA.
Social Distortion is using a Blackface Bassman through a Marshall cab, and a Satellite Atom (so are a few of the other bands listed)
Dead Kennedy's was a Twin
Descendents/All is usually a JCM900
Original Suicidal was Marshall, but moved into higher gain as they went metal
TSOL used to be a combo of Marshall, and tweed Bassman through various cabinets (Satellite for some southern California shows)
Green Day is usually Marshall
Jawbreaker was usually Marshall

Give some examples of what are after, and I'm sure there are enough punks & posers that can help you get what you are after.

RussB
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
A used Crate/Peavey/Marshall solid state head and cheapo 4-12. It don't get more punk than that

Jahn
01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I just channeled some Buzzcocks by diming my '65 Vox V101 tube Pathfinder, just a direct signal from the neck pickup of my Rick Kelly Bowery Tele (a 1963 Gibson Firebird pickup). The grind was so primary, I could get it by letting my 4 year old windmill while I powerchorded.

Knuckles
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
What kind of punk rock are we talking about? Clash? Misfits? DK? TSOL? All? Descendents? Social Distortion? Green Day? Jawbreaker (Boxcar seems very appropriate right now)? Bad Religion? Suicidal Tendencies? Black Flag? Fear?

From all the video I've been able to find and the one classic Misfits show I saw (Hungry Brain, Detroit), the classic Misfits rig was lots of Ampeg heads and a Big Muff, all covered with black paint and the ubiquitous Crimson Ghost skull.

Scooba
01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
maybe my amp is something a bit different for punk but i use a soldano HR50, no pedals required, i used a marshall for a while and a recto too but when it comes to recording a les paul through the soldano is where it's at.

Soporific
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Crown power amp, some kind of big speaker cab and a DOD OD/Distortion pedal is my vote!

~S

teleman55
01-24-2009, 03:43 AM
an old, loud marshall (single channel jcm800 or older).

+1!

Cussion
01-24-2009, 03:57 AM
First Clash album: Mick Jones played a Les Paul Junior through an Ampeg V4 into a 4x12 cab.
Best punk guitar tone to me!
Joe Strummer played a Telecaster into a silverface Twin.

Not really punk though, but Joy Division had some great guitarsounds on their stuff.
Bernard Sumner played a Gibson SG and a Shergold Masquerader into an old SS Vox UL730 amp.

BJF
01-24-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi,

Ahum, how about a BOSS DS-1 and a Roland JC120?
Set Tone on DS-1 to 9oc and set treble and mid on JC-120 to zero and bass on full and bright off.
For Twin Reverbs- and yes I have played several and those don't do much and you'd really need speakers that aren't bright and a distortionpedal-if you crank one of those you can play one note and that note can be good if you are one of the kings- meaning too much mush on the wound strings........
Running a Twin Reverb clean, try a distortion pedal and a BOSS Graphic EQ and boost on that 400Hz band about halfway up so it doesn't get to resonating.

DS-1 also works great on Orange Graphic 120-that's the one without master.
Oranges with master are fine just cranked.....

I have also used Kustom Lead III and a BOSS OD-1 at great results-transistors all the way;)

Hiwatts would be fine too, if you can find one, and if so try a Coloursound Overdriver the one without volumecontrol and put Normal channel on the brink of overload so the harsh sound of the overdriver is masked by amplifier distortion and the resulting sound is a combination.

Really great can a Blackface Bassman cranked be and preferably driven by a P-90 pick up- guitar matters less but the midrange of the P-90 helps making a fine combination.

Also great sounding would be the grey Traynor transistor amps- the once with huge black knobs
Also try an old- the early ones are better- Traynor YGL III- later YGLIII's can be as exciting as a British cricket game however.

Never Mind The Boillocks would be recorded with something like twelve guitar tracks which ofcourse gives a huge sound.
That's difficult to do live

Ah, a non master Marshall with really worndown tubes- try getting one from a long haired hippie and pump that with a Di Marzio Super Distortion pick up.

Gibson Ranger would also be a fine amp as long as you don't play B or F sharp- try getting one from an old jazzdude;)

In the late 70's I could not afford an amp to gig with and I have played on some less happening amps just because, but I also liked the bands with great guitar sounds as those were more fun to listen too and always tried to get a fun sound through any gear.Some of those amps would not give up any distortion unless you'd strike hard downwards- check out Johnny Ramone doing that.

I have seen one of my favourite bands get a new guitarist that played a Fender Tele through a Marshall JCM 800 half stack, the JCM 800 with increased treble and the resulting sound was so percing that I hid in the wooden rows and listened to the reflected sound and the band was good........

Try cranking a Roland Cube 60 also preferably with P-90's..........

I saw The Sex Pistols ten years ago playing Fender Hot Rod amps- the high gain amps and they were sounding really great- actually better than they did live in 1976.
The same songs, the same message, the same energy.............

Maybe the stripes will never fade?

Ah, I won't conform and yes I'd use what I got.

If modern punk means transforming the guitarsound into a drumkit I could think of some other alternatives.:BOUNCE

Have fun
BJ

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
www.bjfe.org
www.mpamp.com
www.louderandmore.com

vice2.0
01-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Hmmm. Certain great punk bands have phenomenal tone whilst most of them have suck. Modern punk bands have been using alotta Mesa Marks or dual Recs... ie Nofx or Pennywise

GooD punk bands will stick to Marshall's though... The Lawrence Arms, Falcon, Dillinger Four are all pretty much using Marshall's

If you want the best goddarn-ing rvck n roll punk tone ever, get a Wizard Modern Classic. The Living End uses them and they have phenomenal tone. Check out their live vids on youtube.com
Especially their HQ vids on AC/DC Lane. Just plain phenomenal.

rob2001
01-24-2009, 06:33 AM
I was listening to the Ramones "I wanna be sedated" and I was thinking what an incredible rhythm guitar tone that song has. Then I was thinking, it sounds like a great tone.....in general. That tone could have easily been on a Journey record.

So i'm thinking with 30 years since the onset of Punk, the genre has split several times and the term Punk means different things to everyone.

I do know this... my step daughter and son-in-law are in a Punk band and they are "hardcore" punks. When I talk to them about gear, they could care less! The bass player uses a Big Muff! You could set a Dumble up and they would't know what it was, or how much it's worth. If they did realize it's value, I garrantee it would be sold for PA gear or a bus!

So, the gearhound in me would say grab up a JCM 800 and be done with it. Many call them one trick ponies... maybe so compared to some of the great channel switchers out now, but i'm thinking with punk, you set and forget.

Now, knowing a hardcore punk group personally, I agree with the "any amp you can swipe" suggestion!

Note that I think these guys are some of the coolest, down to earth people i've ever met.

Scooba
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Hmmm. Certain great punk bands have phenomenal tone whilst most of them have suck. Modern punk bands have been using alotta Mesa Marks or dual Recs... ie Nofx or Pennywise

GooD punk bands will stick to Marshall's though... The Lawrence Arms, Falcon, Dillinger Four are all pretty much using Marshall's

If you want the best goddarn-ing rvck n roll punk tone ever, get a Wizard Modern Classic. The Living End uses them and they have phenomenal tone. Check out their live vids on youtube.com
Especially their HQ vids on AC/DC Lane. Just plain phenomenal.

...NOFX use Mesa Mark series, Hefe uses a MKIII and Melvin uses a MKIV.
Fletcher from pennywise was using riveras for a fair while K tre's i think.

How good are The Lawrence Arms... and the living end for that matter...

Keyser Soze
01-24-2009, 02:33 PM
ProCo Rat into SF Twin. Worked for me back in the early 80s.

Now I'd probably add a few more pedal and run through a Powerblock. Guitar in a gig bag over the shoulder, another for the pedals and PB, a 1x12 in the left hand and cheap beer in the right.

I got so tired of lugging around that Twin, try putting it in a hatchback when you are drunk.

Playing punk means playing things you are willing to have stolen.

BJF
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Well in the late 70's in Sweden there were no ProCo Rats but there were Silver Face pull Master Twin Reverbs.....
Oh yes those are heavy amps to carry around

That said in the late 70's I never got anything stolen from stage, but I did get a footswitch pedal stolen at a punk gig in the early 90's- well I had made that into the casing of an old distortion box and that box had just one jack and one knob to set the levelboost of the amp. Somebody must have thought that was a distortionpedal and stolen it from the stage as we were playing............in fact that was the first time I have ever something stolen from stage, but then it was caotic with people swallowing cigarettes and stage diving and screaming their heads off trying to sing along.

Indeed it was mostly just great fun-lugging gear around isn't hehehe

I'd say it wasn't necessarily so that you'd get your gear stolen-perhaps it depends on the gig?

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
www.bjfe.org
www.mpamp.com
www.louderandmore.com

newholland
01-25-2009, 01:17 AM
rules for 'punk' amps.. ugh.

first, define punk, mebbe we talk after that conclusion is arrived at... then once that's all buttoned up, you can pin down the punk guitar too. [end raging sarcasm]

the only thing defining punk is that it resists/ed clear definition. wire=/=GBH=/=9353=/=die kreuzen... so defining 'punk sound' is pretty much folly...

it's whatever made sound loud enough to be heard over the drummer!

fierce_carrot
01-25-2009, 06:41 AM
A Bogner for punk? Must be Yuppie punk

I was in Boston during the punk explosion and there was no "definative amp" for punk bands. They had no money, and their equipment showed it. Punk was NEVER about the equipment (look at the Ramones) but it was about attitude.

Will Dandy
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
jcm800.

unless you need high gain, in which case probably a 5150 or dual rectifier, even though theyre really more metal.

Nolatone Ampworks
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Sovtek Mig100H (if you can find 'em) will do the trick on the cheap.

I think the Sovtek is a good idea. They are a little less refined than the Marshalls IME which is all about punk! :dude

01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Punk was NEVER about the equipment (look at the Ramones) but it was about attitude.

yeah the Ramones were known for using whatever gear was available - peavey, crate, yamaha, just about anything. :jo:jo:confused::confused::crazy:crazy

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4959/770216ramwh133whiskyjnd5.jpg

GreenKnight18
01-25-2009, 10:39 AM
So Cal Punk = Orange, Mesa (but those are pricey)
"Classic" 70's Punk... seems to have been covered by everyone. I'd say Marshall JCM 800 as well.

Neo pop punk= Orange, Mesa again.

Coolest "Punk" amps? Marshall, Sovtek, or Ampeg.
More 'eclectic' would be a Fender Twin.
Beater Amps would be Traynor or Ampeg
Cheapest, Punkiest "We don't care 'cause we're punk rawk" amps would be Peavy and Crate.

SatelliteAmps
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
So Cal Punk = Orange, Mesa (but those are pricey)

Can't think of any So Cal Punk bands using either. Any help?

freaksho
01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
ok let's make it unanimous then: JCM800! (single channel, of course)

or any of the cheaper close cousins, like the Laney GH50L (which i use to have). and as people say Sovtek and Peavey both have old models that are supposed to do this well, but i have no personal experience.

i would also say the older 4 input Marshalls too but with PA's and reduced volume needs (and tolerance) these days it's not gonna be practical imo.

SatelliteAmps
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
They made 4 input JCM800s. Same wattage as the older ones.

stoob0t
01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Sovtek Mig, or JCM800 2204

phusana
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
A Bogner for punk? Must be Yuppie punk

I was in Boston during the punk explosion and there was no "definative amp" for punk bands. They had no money, and their equipment showed it. Punk was NEVER about the equipment (look at the Ramones) but it was about attitude.

+1 I was there too... Whatever you could borrow, steal or afford to buy as long as it was loud enough when you cranked it up. Most real punk bands used equipment that most TGPers would turn thier nose up at. EG: Ever heard of Mission of Burma? Most of that guitar work was done on a Fender Lead II.

Knuckles
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
So if you grew up playing punk or hardcore with any crap gear you could get your hands on and now you still love the music (and play it with the same love and enthusiasm) but have better gear that diminishes your "punk-ness"?

phusana
01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
So if you grew up playing punk or hardcore with any crap gear you could get your hands on and now you still love the music (and play it with the same love and enthusiasm) but have better gear that diminishes your "punk-ness"?

Uhh, I guess it might... Lot's of things change in 30 years. My "punk-ness" isn't an issue at this late date. Plus, I'd look pretty funny still wearing tight ripped t-shirts, stovepipe black jeans and Chuck Taylor hightops at 50. While I still love it, I don't often play "punk" these days. However, in spite of the changes including the type of material, I still have more nights than not when I play with the same level of energy, attitude and enthusiasm as I did then.

lennon08
01-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Check out DI and Social Distortion.....Bassman and Bandsmasters cranked!

Teh RedWizard
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
A beat up old Randall from about '83! :band

At least that's what my old buddy,Buck Futt who's now a prison punk, told me once.

Blunder
01-25-2009, 09:36 PM
+1. JCM800s are punk rock perfection.

Yup. I used a 100 watt JCM800 and Hiwatt 4x12 for years. Killer amp for punk rock. No pedals needed.

Ronsonic
01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Simple, loud and probably not as distorted as you'd think.

A (one each) pedal.

Play like you mean it.

ronmail65
01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I think you have to get an old Marshall - JMP MV or JCM800.

kludge
01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
More thoughts on the whole subject...

1. Just because it's punk doesn't mean you should use crappy-sounding amps. That's not punk, that's merely bad.
2. Great-sounding amps don't need to cost a lot. Nothing punk about boutique, either. Use simple, proven, mass-production stuff.
3. Own your tone! There's no "right" way to do it, but it's important to sound distinctive.

hathisisfunnyha
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
you can get a punk tone out of just about any amp on the market today. end of story.

stop being whiney lil b*tches about whose more punk or who has more liberty spikes. we all had our moments in punk or we might still but just because you play a Peavey over a Bogner doesn't make you more punk.

The punk of today is completely different from 10 and 20 and 30 years ago.

RebelRebel
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Just cause ya play the ol punk rock, does not mean you need shitty gear.

I play in a punk rock group...I use a VOS LP special and a Dr Z...and some nice pedals.

Figure out how much this gear would cost now a days.

Johny Ramone...metal panel marshalls.
Mick Jones had lp customs and an early mark series boogie...and a rack.
Television super reverbs.
The damned...hiwats and old marshalls.
Heartbreakers had old marshalls and twins.
uk subs..old marshalls
The Jam...AC30

I could go on and on

All the 90's skate punk bands had mesas.

My best advise...use what you think sounds good and play it like you mean it.

freaksho
01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Just cause ya play the ol punk rock, does not mean you need shitty gear.

I play in a punk rock group...I use a VOS LP special and a Dr Z...and some nice pedals.

Figure out how much this gear would cost now a days.

Johny Ramone...metal panel marshalls.
Mick Jones had lp customs and an early mark series boogie...and a rack.
Television super reverbs.
The damned...hiwats and old marshalls.
Heartbreakers had old marshalls and twins.
uk subs..old marshalls
The Jam...AC30

I could go on and on

All the 90's skate punk bands had mesas.

My best advise...use what you think sounds good and play it like you mean it.

true, but isn't it also true that the classics were about the only thing available in the '70's? i mean, there was no Crate then, right?

plus there weren't vintage amp snobs back then, and therefore no inflated prices on old equipment. new amps were probably more expensive than old amps in every case. so you're a dirty young punk, you go to a used shop and pick up an old beat up Hiwatt or Marshall and rock the f-ck out. times have changed.

fierce_carrot
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
yeah the Ramones were known for using whatever gear was available - peavey, crate, yamaha, just about anything. :jo:jo:confused::confused::crazy:crazy

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4959/770216ramwh133whiskyjnd5.jpg

That pix was taken after their equipment truck was stolen and they had bought new gear for the very first time.

When they first started, the combined total dollar worth of ALL their equipment probably wasn't over $500 bucks, I know, I saw them a number of times.

Reeltarded
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Any amp you can steal off the back of someone else's truck. Extra points if it's the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac.

ROFL!

AND IT MAKES YOU BLEED!

:messedup

sharkminusbear
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Orange AD30 or Rockerverb

Reeltarded
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM
That pix was taken after their equipment truck was stolen and they had bought new gear for the very first time.

Check out the stacked 145s!

01-26-2009, 12:11 PM

When they first started, the combined total dollar worth of ALL their equipment probably wasn't over $500 bucks, I know, I saw them a number of times.

Well I guess if you prefer their first guitars and amps - terrific. All I know is that johnny pretty much always used a marshall stack and Dee Dee almost always had an Ampeg SVT. Definately not crappy amps.

I could think back to the first amp I owned too. A 20 watt brown yamaha from schmidts music. I traded it in for an equally bad Roland Cube 40, then a peavey special 130. It took me longer than it took the Ramones to know which amps sounded good.

I could also think back to my first guitar which was crap because I didn't know what to look for in a guitar. But when I had experience, I of course bought better gear.

Luckily we don't have to stick to the first guitar and amp we ever owned.

RebelRebel
01-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Every live pic has johny using marshalls...from the first album onward.

I've never seen a pic of him using something else.

RebelRebel
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
true, but isn't it also true that the classics were about the only thing available in the '70's? i mean, there was no Crate then, right?

plus there weren't vintage amp snobs back then, and therefore no inflated prices on old equipment. new amps were probably more expensive than old amps in every case. so you're a dirty young punk, you go to a used shop and pick up an old beat up Hiwatt or Marshall and rock the f-ck out. times have changed.

They coulda bought acoustics or kustoms or any other piece of crap that they made back then...but ended up with the good stuff. If I recal...johny ramone always swapped out his pick ups for dimarzio's on all his mosrites.

I get your point, the bigger bands were all signed to majors and had nice gear.

Sure, strummer had a cheap tele and a whatever was available amp...mick on the other hand, had a boogie before they were really known....how gear snobish would owning a mesa in 1980 have been.

The history of punk rock is littered with great guitars and great amps....not random junk.

Johnnythunders
01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I saw the Ramones over 30 times dating back to there first gigs at CBGB and Johnny always played a Marshall and a Mosrite except for the brief time when he was endorsed by Hamer and played a white Special.

jgyn
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Dumble.

alvagoldbook
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
The Ramones used Marshalls cranked, their bass amps were always Ampeg SVTs. Johnny Ramone used plexi super leads, and then later used a master volume amp. Eventually he moved to a JCM800 2203, and then moved to a JCM900 SL-X. In my opinion, the worse guitar tone he ever had on record was during the middle 80s when he was using 2203s. His best tone to me was when he was using the JCM900 SL-X heads.

When I saw the Descendents in 96 they were using JCM900s hooked up to a volume pedal and Gallen Krueger bass amps.

Patti Smith used Fenders, Fender twins I think.

When I saw the reformed Sex Pistols in the mid 90s they were using Fender amps. I don't know what kind, but I think the bassist was using those Rumble bass amps.

Saw the US Bombs and they used JCM800 2210s. Cool old school kind of tone, but not exactly my cup of tea.

The Stooges used Marshall plexis back in the day. Reformed they used reissues I think and a Marshall VBA for bass and sometimes an Ampeg. Google the Stooges show rider for some hilarity.

The Dead Boys used Marshall Plexis super leads.

I've heard Bad Religion these days use a combination of Marshall Jubilees and Mesa Dual Recs. Never got close enough to see though.

alvagoldbook
02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
They coulda bought acoustics or kustoms or any other piece of crap that they made back then...but ended up with the good stuff. If I recal...johny ramone always swapped out his pick ups for dimarzio's on all his mosrites.

Johnny Ramone used the stock pickups of a Mosrite Mark II. If you can find a Mark V Mosrite they're the same kind of pickups. Plug that into a marshall plexi all the way up and you get the Ramones tone from back in those days.

Eventually, the pickup broke, and so Johnny had a DiMarzio FS-1 single coil put in. There was a Duncan minihum in the rhythm, but I don't know what kind. Supposedly, he had the guitar wired so that it had no tone and instead set up the knobs to have a volume control for each pickup. Eventually, the solder joint for the Duncan pickup broke and it was never fixed.

Originally his guitar looked like this. His blue one was stolen, and later replaced with his white one.

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/mosrite/m2right.gif

http://www.officialramones.com/hailjohnny/4/closeup.jpg

mikem
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Check out DI and Social Distortion.....Bassman and Bandsmasters cranked!

That tone is the shit man! My favourite!

Mike

michael.e
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Had rehearsal with my originals/old school punk band..

Oi....

BEST sounding/feeling rock rig I have ever had the pleasure of playing...

'73 Hiwatt DR504
'72 Hiwatt 4-12
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/DSC00356.jpg

Using my new Gretsch Spectra Sonic..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/SpectraSonic.jpg

This board is between the two..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/DSC04544.jpg

The Klon and the Honeybee are the best feeling and sounding pedals that I have ever used.

The Spruce top and TV Jones pickups are an incredible pairing. Chime, grit, bite, toothy.... Ahh!!!
I was absolutely blown away with this rig. I like it just as much, if not more than my SG Jr. in to the Hiwatt.

:love:

I am going to record our rehearsals next Tuesday. I will put up some soundfiles then..

Polynitro
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
a twin reverb...Specifically one lifted from David Bowies band.

sqadan
02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Dumble.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Wish I had thought of that!

EffectsGuru
08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
The two most commonly used amps for punk rock are the Marshall JCM 800, and the Mesa Mark IV ( I own both, but the JCM 800 really nails the early 80's punk and tons of 90's albums were made with them too, and the Mesa Mark IV handles the modern 90's and clean tones etc. and just about anything else). Don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't matter, people who play punk just use whatever, thats bullshit, and the people who say that say it because they: A. Don't like punk, or B. Don't know shit about it, and don't listen to it. Pedals will not get you the tone you need for it, I have been trying for years, if you shop around a JCM 800 can be found for $600-1200 perhaps less.

CharAznable
08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
JCM800 all the way, especially if it's held together with duct tape.

Primakurtz
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe it's just because I've been playing punk rock for 30 years, but... I can get "that sound" from almost any tube amp turned up close to 11, EQ'd correctly. It is more about your right hand than about the amp.

That said, I really love the Sovtek MIG-60, a JCM-800 (same thing, mostly), a Bassman, or an Ampeg. Get a good, solid, loud tube amp & turn it way up. Hit the strings like you mean it! And have fun.

III
08-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Had fun reading this thread... especially some of the "famous" rigs. I'd like to try some P90's and Greenbacks with my BF Bassman and Super Lead RI.

I play in a punk band and 95% of the time at shows I use... Epiphone Les Paul> Fender Roc Pro> Blackface era 2x12 with Eminence Red, White and Blue and a Man O War. It's loud, relatively small and light, not too expensive to replace, and reliable.

BobBarkerBeast
08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd go for the JCM 900 I have, punk out the ass. And it's for sale ;)

Rod
08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
My old friend Joe King from The Queers plays Single channel JCM800 Marshall 50 heads with 4/12 bottoms

Frankee
08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Feel free to check the link where my sig should be.

dantedayjob
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Peavey VTM 60 or 120, they can be had for cheap, they're bulletproof and they sound great

Crikey
08-23-2009, 02:53 AM
The type of amp doesn't matter, as long as you have a Klon. :D

TwoTubMan
08-23-2009, 03:33 AM
How do I express a chuckle?

Punk, before it was named by the media, was ridiculed by 99.9% of the people who now prattle on about it being the greatest thing that ever happened. Nowadays, everyone was involved! Kind of like the 8 million people who now claim that they were at Woodstock.

I admit, when it first started, I was the biggest musical snoot you can imagine. Yes, McLaughlin, etc. If you didn't have monster chops, I couldn't care less. And then, almost as a joke (thank you, Lester Bangs...), I bought The Stooges "Raw Power". I set the needle down on "Search and Destroy", and it was automatic. I started dancing, which is something impossible with that I was previously listening to, and had most of my clothes off before "Gimme Danger" started. That's when I started seriously dancing.

Punk isn't a "genre". Punk isn't a "style". Punk isn't a "fashion". Punk is not "cool". Punk is not "hip". If you still feel the need to call yourself "Punk"...

You are not.

Punk has zero to do with gear. Sorry.

Hoy! I've needed to get this off my chest for 30 years. I'm not Punk, but, in all probabilty, neither are you.

FFTT
08-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Punk was there before anyone even called it punk, early Stones and The Kinks come to mind.

coldfingaz
08-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Punk was there before anyone even called it punk, early Stones and The Kinks come to mind.

and The Who!

FFTT
08-23-2009, 07:44 AM
and The Who!

Indeed! My Generation was totally punk.

The sound later morphed when The Pretty Things released Midnight To Six Men.

That was the first song I remember having a distinct punk flavor of its own.

Later it became more of a battle between punk sound and punk fashion.

Now any group that dares to call themselves punk are just copy cats.

razorbladeSD
08-23-2009, 09:02 AM
As I recall, it was whatever your girlfriend had enough room on her credit card to pay for, and could fit in the trunk of her car...

In my case , it was a Music Man RD112.

krall
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I played and recorded in an old school '77 punk style band..Amps used were mainly a '65 AA165 circuited Bassman + 2x12 cab and an early 70's Bassman 100 through a 1x15. I also used a '68 Fender Twin in the studio. SG's, LP's and P-90 equipped Juniors! Good old MIJ Boss DS-1 for extra push.

FFTT
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I ran into the guitar player for the Plasmatics when they were rehearsing next door
while we we playing Gildersleeves 30 years AGO!

He kinda stood out with his BLUE mowhawk and wearing a dress.

Even back then, I was thinking they were just doing the extreme version
of what started in the 60's.

Rod
12-14-2009, 10:07 AM
My old friend Joe King from The Queers has been using old Marshall 50 watt Master Volume 800's for years for his punk band...They've been all over the world with him..very reliable.....great "Punk" tones as well...He's tried other amps, but always returns to these....

grateful.ed
12-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Sunn Beta Lead 4x10

Travst
12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
In the late seventies, I was playing a Thinline through an Orange 212 combo. We played punk because everyone else was doing southern-fried and we could get gigs by being different.

dorfmeister
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Traynor YBA-1 or any other off-brand under-valued amp that can be gotten cheap. It can even be solid-state. Pair it with a Peavey T-60 or one of those old Kramer aluminum neck guitars or Fender Bronco or anything else uncool at the time that you could get your hands on and you are rolling. I don't think what people call punk these days is really punk. It is too professional. It may use some of the stylistic cliches of punk but the attitude is all wrong. I had both a Bronco and a T-60 back in the day and played them through a Gibson Falcon I bought used for $65. Real punk is diy with whatever you have around.

auratnik
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Victims Family in 80's toured with Mesa Boogie.
I toured with Marshall JCM800 and played with Sacred Reich, Holy Moses, Destruction, Motorhead, Leatherface, S.N.F.U. ...

newholland
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Victims Family in 80's toured with Mesa Boogie.
I toured with Marshall JCM800 and played with Sacred Reich, Holy Moses, Destruction, Motorhead, Leatherface, S.N.F.U. ...

ha! i saw them play wigan, lancashire in 1990.. great band!

EricPeterson
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Not sure if if has been said but the peavey windsor stack can be obtained super cheap and would eb great for punk, it is not clean and breaks up early but that should fit the punk bill. Musicians friend had the heads for like 250 or something.

ReginaldBisquet
12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I've seen a lot of shows of punk and rock bands... here's what I can recall.

I saw Black Flag in 1986 in Washington DC at the 9:30 club. I remember Peavey amps were used and a wall (literally) of no name 4x12 cabinets where lined up on the side of the stage. Greg Ginn was using a see-through guitar. I had a small Peavey combo at the time and I thought it was cool that I used the same amp as Black Flag!

***** Galore (also in DC but at a club called the Hung Jury) in 1988 used Fender combo amps... which I remember because I was amazed at how freakishly loud the combos were. Butthole Surfers & the Cramps in 1988 (at the Warner Theater in Washington, DC) used Fender amps. I remember them being very tall and skinny amps/cabinets. Perhaps custom made?

Bad Brains at the 9:30 Club in 1989. Marshalls and (again) no name cabinets. I remember the Marshall brand amps with these guys because I hated their live sound. Saw DRI and The Accused in 1989... both had amps and cabinets with the name badges torn off (literally).

Sonic Youth in 1991. Peavey & Marshall heads with a mix of cabinets that had funny words written on duct tape where the brand name was supposed to be.

Saw the Melvins and Die Kreuzen in 1992 (separate shows) - both used Mesa Boogie amps... which was the first time I had ever heard of the brand.

I noticed gear snobbery started when the hardcore movement started gaining steam around 1989. Bands like Slapshot, Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits... pretty much any band on Revelations... used very high quality Gibsons (Les Pauls especially) and Marshalls. None of them used combos... and all of their gear was shiny and clean.

Punk rock in Peru (yes, the country) in 1993 was a different story. When I went to concerts in Lima, all the bands used Peaveys or Fenders for guitar and bass. I remember they all had combo units. I went back to Peru last year and noticed bands using a very wide range of brands that you would find in the US.

driver8
07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
How do I express a chuckle?

Punk, before it was named by the media, was ridiculed by 99.9% of the people who now prattle on about it being the greatest thing that ever happened. Nowadays, everyone was involved! Kind of like the 8 million people who now claim that they were at Woodstock.

I admit, when it first started, I was the biggest musical snoot you can imagine. Yes, McLaughlin, etc. If you didn't have monster chops, I couldn't care less. And then, almost as a joke (thank you, Lester Bangs...), I bought The Stooges "Raw Power". I set the needle down on "Search and Destroy", and it was automatic. I started dancing, which is something impossible with that I was previously listening to, and had most of my clothes off before "Gimme Danger" started. That's when I started seriously dancing.

Punk isn't a "genre". Punk isn't a "style". Punk isn't a "fashion". Punk is not "cool". Punk is not "hip". If you still feel the need to call yourself "Punk"...

You are not.

Punk has zero to do with gear. Sorry.

Hoy! I've needed to get this off my chest for 30 years. I'm not Punk, but, in all probabilty, neither are you.

Almost a year old bump, but I just wanted to say I love this post. :dude

Rod
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Best amp for PUNK?...Any amp with an attitude

teleguido
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
My first "punk" rig when I was 14:

Peavey T-60 into a Peavey solid-state 1x12 combo, connected with alligator clips to two Cerwin Vega hifi speakers.

Tone for days! :)

I still have the T-60, and absolutely love it.

EastCoastRocker
07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Sunn Beta Lead 4x10

+1 on the Beta Lead. From Punk to Stoner Metal it'll get you there.
Raw and edgy and more volume than your PA ! 4x10 was cool, but I went for overkill with a 2x15 and a 4x12.After all,it was punk....

70's Hard Rock
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
70's Marshall JMP Head w/Master Volume!!!

sublimeaudio
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
A Hiwatt type amp would be really good for punk rock.

kaseri
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Tiny Terror

doc
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Peavey Butcher or Mace.

nullin
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Peavey Butcher or Mace.

Haha, yeah!! Love my Butcher! Sounds awesome and looks soooo ugly! I love it!

Craig Gates
07-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Best punk amp: crappy amp.

doc
07-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Of course as mentioned by others, the aforementioned Peavey suggestions should be beat to hell, smell rank, and preferably stolen in order to exude the proper mojo.

Griz
07-01-2010, 11:45 PM
To do real punk legit you want a loud, ugly sound. Get a really loud amp that nobody regards as cool, and crank 'er. Need more buzz? Rat distortion.

Waxhead
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
marshall is too generic

ahh - have you ever done this.
It's completely impractical to play a Twin that loud now unless you're in a large venue....and it won't give you enuf gain anyways.

Having played in punk bands in the 80's myself many of us used beaten up Marshalls like JCMs boosted with crappy Boss pedals (cause that's all their was and we had no money). A lot of punks used any amp they could steal with a shitty dirt pedal.
If I was gonna do punk now I'd go for high quality dirt with any one of about 10 Mesa's or a 5150.
Gone are the days when you can sound like poo and be cool.

Miles
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Get a cheap and rugged clean head and hit the shit out of it with a turbo distortion or a Rat.

I love my sound and that's what I use.

michael.e
07-15-2010, 11:14 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/DSC01035.jpg

MRscratch
07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
punk rock is an attitude,not a sound.johny cash was punk rock.
dead kennedys. punk rock. fender super reverb by the way.
i think if you play with conviction, play with complete utter disregard for what others say, go against the grain,thats punk rock .
oh ........old marshalls= punk rock.

CharAznable
07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/M_E113123/GEAR/DSC01035.jpg

Only if it's stolen

GA20T
07-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Definitely a stolen Hiwatt. Points if you can steal it from a bar during the band's intermission, narrowly escaping the beating of your life.
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/ga20t/2707190597_b1e4499dc2.jpg

hathisisfunnyha
08-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Can't think of any So Cal Punk bands using either. Any help?

I think he's referencing the newer crop of So Cal "pop punk" (Blink, Unwritten law, etc)

Anybody know what amps the Replacements were using on All for Nothing/Nothing for All or Let it Be?

Arcane Analog
08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Laney Pro Tube

Peavey VTM

Cheap, loud and effect. Not to mention they are decent sounding and can be had for sub $400.

Arcane Analog
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
An old Traynor with an over drive or distortion would be perfect as well.

Of course, a 4x12 is a pretty important part of the equation as well.

kaseri
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Orange Tiny Terror head. Good tone at a reasonable price.

PlinytheWelder
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I dunno.... I did sound for a bit at Max's in NYC around 77 or so I, and I still don't know what punk is, but I know it when I hear it...

All's I know is that it's loud and fast.... So something LOUD should work.... Maybe a Laney AOR100/ Pro Tube ?

Jsin
01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
any opinion on how the jcm 800 2203 vs the HR50 single channel versions

Deathmonkey
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
1988 is calling. http://www.myspace.com/mistersoftee666

Peavey Studio 50 + HM2 pedal.

My favorite punk amp now is a Splawn competition. 50 watts of snarling attitude. What's more punk than using the tools of the bourgeoisie against them? Using a Dumble would be punk as f**k.

Jsin
01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
would love some input on the hr50 single channel

heres one of my bands www.myspace.com/peccadilloes

teleman55
01-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Back in the day I used a Marshall, or a Sound City, or a Soundtronix into a 4x10 cab. After that I used a Pro Reverb turned all the way up (or maybe on 7 or 8.). All those did it.

hades_1123
01-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Fender !!!!

just kidding hehehe =)

merman
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Any 50 watt or louder amp. Punk rock means you never had a job right? So , maybe you could scrape 200.00 together. Basically, any loud amp you can get for $200

CharAznable
02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Fender !!!!

just kidding hehehe =)

Sex Pistols is Fender