PDA

View Full Version : Nickel strings to reduce fret wear?

kennyj33
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I am looking at getting nickel strings. I wear down my frets quickly. Before two years of hard playing, my guitars could use a fret dressing.

Has anyone had good experience with nickel strings? It would be nice to double the interval before dressing my frets.

I also noticed Warmoth sells necks with stainless steel frets. That looks interesting too.

Thanks,

Ken

hogy
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
The "nickel" part refers to the wrap on the E, A, and D strings.

Most people wear their frets under the plain strings first. Those are always steel, even in a "nickel" set.

treeofpain
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
You could try stainless steel frets.

Reeltarded
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
It might be the quality of wire the builders have been using.

If you play heavier strings with medium action you'll eat anything but the best frets in a hurry if you are rocking.

Fret wire is not as hard as it had been.

marsos52
02-09-2009, 05:56 AM
stainless steel frets will last a lot longer and made bending so easy
cost more to get them installed and not all techs will take on that type of work

i like pure nickel strings they dont seem as loud but really have great tone
i dont know for sure but i think the nickel is harder on the frets

kja
02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I got a strat refretted with SSfretwire from luthier mercantile and they seem to be of a good quality and seem a good hardness but I havent tried what warmoth uses to compare but.. I have heard they are using dunlop SSfrets and are not as hard as other steels being used. I hope this might help you man:BEER

also im kinda paranoid about this issue and my main guitar has the nickel frets from the factory(fender). I have been steel wooling the frets and spraying the frets with some Rem oil(teflon spray) every other string change and besides keeping the strings and everything really clean with fast fret this seems to really cut out the wear. This is just what i do and something else may work better but this is my little input to the topic.

Bubbles
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Pure nickel strings are softer on the frets than plated (and SS worse) but it is usually the plain strings that do the damage. Keeping the strings clean helps alot because rust, scale and finger dirt is very hard on frets.
You might be better off with the next gauge down, they move slightly sideways when you play so they "spread the load" and don't groove the frets straight away directly under the string.

kennyj33
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
....spraying the frets with some Rem oil(teflon spray) every other string change and besides keeping the strings and everything really clean with fast fret this seems to really cut out the wear. This is just what i do and something else may work better but this is my little input to the topic.

Hey that could be interesting. In an engine run without oil, it will wear down much quicker than if you use oil. Teflon might have good lubricating properties without gunking up the strings.

musicofanatic5
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey that could be interesting. In an engine run without oil, it will wear down much quicker than if you use oil. Teflon might have good lubricating properties without gunking up the strings.

It might also seep under the frets and into the fret slots in the fingerboard. Come refret time this could make it reeeeeeeeeeeel easy to get the old ones out, but nearly impossible to get new ones to stay in. Caution!