PDA

View Full Version : Eric Johnson's 2009 pedal board

eddie101
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/sidshelle1959/EJpedalboard.jpg

Notice that he is using a Smoky Audio Tubeless OD - between a wah and a surge protector -pedal. I just got the most recent/updated "Dumble" pedal and am LOVING it. I can't wait to ABUSE it tomorrow. :D

todd richman
02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
So he is using the Smoky-I think he got the EL-84 version though not the 34D which is what I also have and will be selling cheaply soon. I needed a less Dumble-esque pedal and found it with something else. Is he not using his Si fuzz face anymore-it seems to be missing from the pic?

Mr. Kite
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
dd-2?

gtr777
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
For someone that's crazy about tone, that's a lot of cable in between each pedal...

eddie101
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
So he is using the Smoky-I think he got the EL-84 version though not the 34D which is what I also have and will be selling cheaply soon. I needed a less Dumble-esque pedal and found it with something else. Is he not using his Si fuzz face anymore-it seems to be missing from the pic?

Nope, he's got the 34D version. I am not sure about his Fuzz, though. Perhaps Lance K can chime in?

zenfreud
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
For someone that's crazy about tone, that's a lot of cable in between each pedal...

He probably does it to roll-off some highs. Seriously.

Either that, or it's a pic of a temporary board he uses for trying out different pedal combinations.

drod2045
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
is that a lovepedal believe with the plugs that plug into the top of the pedal? to the right of the mxr comp. whats that to the right of that pedal (in front/right of the tube driver)?

camitchell
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
If you guys knew anything about astrology, you'd see the layout makes perfect sense.

Flyin' Brian
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
If you guys knew anything about astrology, you'd see the layout makes perfect sense.

"Splain please?

James
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
"is that a lovepedal believe with the plugs that plug into the top of the pedal? to the right of the mxr comp. whats that to the right of that pedal (in front/right of the tube driver)?"

I believe that is an effects loop box for the EH Memory Man. I'm pretty sure that he's always used his MM in a loop box. Used to take the MM in and out of the signal path.

sleejay80
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
He probably does it to roll-off some highs. Seriously.

Hilarious:D

VoodooBlues
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Just judging from the sound of his Fender Namm kickoff gig, it sounds like he's switched to germanium fuzz of late. I don't know that for sure though.

Guitarplayerdan
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
dude i dont play nearly as big shows as he does, and I could never have that kind of mess on my board. I mean if something went wrong on my board, it would be a quick fix, that might take you all day to isolate the problem, I love Eric Johnson though.

andrewface
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
me thinks i need a dynacomp

walterw
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
dude i dont play nearly as big shows as he does, and I could never have that kind of mess on my board. I mean if something went wrong on my board, it would be a quick fix, that might take you all day to isolate the problem, I love Eric Johnson though.
IIRC, everything down to the angle at which the tube driver is mounted is specifically done for tone reasons.

those cables between the pedals are probably coiled up a particular number of turns and in an exact arrangement!

coolhand78
02-11-2009, 03:54 AM
He's obviously trying out new things coz his pedal board has remained much the same over the years...

He's always had the 2 a/b's one switches between lead and rhythm and the other switches clean & dirty rhythm...

The big thing here is no fuzz and the addition of the boss delay (dd2 is my guess)... The tube driver is still on its pedestal tho :)

Brian Maestro
02-11-2009, 07:39 AM
http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=104771

http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=115281

turtleheadblues
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
The silver pedal looks like a gaspedals pedal. Carb?

h0ss66
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
me thinks i need a dynacomp

The newer standard DynaComps MXR is selling are very cheaply made, the jacks on mine broke after a week, although the '76 reissues is damn nice. Save up for the '76...

VoodooBlues
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
He's obviously trying out new things coz his pedal board has remained much the same over the years...

He's always had the 2 a/b's one switches between lead and rhythm and the other switches clean & dirty rhythm...

The big thing here is no fuzz and the addition of the boss delay (dd2 is my guess)... The tube driver is still on its pedestal tho :)

I'm guessing the fuzz is hidden in that picture. You can't see the lower right portion of his board, where he usually keeps his fuzz.

billconnorsfan
02-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Here it is:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh159/halehaku/GetImage-1aspx.jpg

It's there alright!

Here's my personal copy/replica of that FF:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh159/halehaku/Photo22.jpg

Hope this help!

Kenny D
02-24-2009, 01:00 AM
The plywood is the most important part of the signal chain.

It is exactly 1.22987 mm thick. Notice I used millimeters because measuring the thickness in inches would detract from the british vibe of the tone.

Notice how he uses red cable? The red is actually a reflection of the red frequencies in the visible light spectrum. Red light, as absorbed by guitar cables adds a negative polarity to the juxtaposition of universal time-flux as the inverse square of Planks constant.

Notice also how the setlist is actually touching the surge protector? This ensures a level tone in all the songs in the set that evening. I noticed at one show that the set list was touching the mic stand and EJ was having troubles with ground loops that night. I recommended through a friend that he place the setlist next to the surge protector and, presto, consistent tone from song to song. He never did thank me, though.

Seriously, it's all in fun. I am the biggest EJ fan!!!

coolhand78
02-24-2009, 01:05 AM
i still cant get past the fact that there's so much cable everywhere...:huh
and that buffers etc don't appear to be much of a concern...

pulse.
02-24-2009, 01:07 AM
One of the messiest pedalboards ever.
Great taste though

DS88
02-24-2009, 01:19 AM

The "loss" is part of his sound! Just because a pedal is TB or has a great buffer doesn't mean it works best for your tone IME/O. In tone there is no definitive "best" for me, and I just use what works.

:munch

plexistack
02-24-2009, 06:05 AM
http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=104771

http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=115281

"When I get a pedal it's really if it passes the direct signal the best... most pedals they screw the direct tone up and then where are you?" - EJ

My sentiments exactly.

wichita
02-24-2009, 07:18 AM
I got him the Smoky pedal. Its the one with less gain. I don't know enough about the different models to tell you more than that.
It sounds good though. Works best with an amp that is already kicking some butt, and as you know his Marshall is turned up pretty darn loud.
The Dyna comp only feeds the fender amps.

gpro34
02-24-2009, 07:29 AM

I read that Eric doesn't like pedals being too close together as he feels it impacts tone. Seriously, this is what he believes, not trying to be funny here.

CharAznable
02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Lots of generic, non-boutique pedals in there, done in the messiest way possible.

If he anonymously posted his board in the pedalboard thread, bet there would be a bunch of people laughing in front of their computers.

Yet he's Eric Johnson.

gpro34
02-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know what pedal is directly under the powerstrip?

jhumber
02-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Lots of generic, non-boutique pedals in there, done in the messiest way possible.
If he anonymously posted his board in the pedalboard thread, bet there would be a bunch of people laughing in front of their computers.
Yet he's Eric Johnson.

Best post I've read in a long time ;-)

Foxtrot
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
IIRC, everything down to the angle at which the tube driver is mounted is specifically done for tone reasons.

Yup. It helps disperse the sound around the room. Like the angles on a F-117 scatter radar. :banana

Gigbag
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I can't believe no one on this forum has discussed the most obvious change in Eric's board: his board.

That is clearly a fresh piece of plywood. The question is what type?

Is it common softwood plywood made of Douglas fir, or spruce, pine and fir?

Is it hardwood plywood like Birch? Oriented plywood construction has excellent surface hardness, damage and wear resistance.

Please discuss the tonal implications.:BEER

p.s. I am a big EJ fan

clothwiring
02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't believe no one on this forum has discussed the most obvious change in Eric's board: his board.

That is clearly a fresh piece of plywood. The question is what type?

Is it common softwood plywood made of Douglas fir, or spruce, pine and fir?

Is it hardwood plywood like Birch? Oriented plywood construction has excellent surface hardness, damage and wear resistance.

Please discuss the tonal implications.:BEER

p.s. I am a big EJ fan

Dare I say...surely you gest fine sir! lol I love it.

regotheamigo
02-24-2009, 10:23 AM

It is exactly 1.22987 mm thick. Notice I used millimeters because measuring the thickness in inches would detract from the british vibe of the tone.

Notice how he uses red cable? The red is actually a reflection of the red frequencies in the visible light spectrum. Red light, as absorbed by guitar cables adds a negative polarity to the juxtaposition of universal time-flux as the inverse square of Planks constant.

Notice also how the setlist is actually touching the surge protector? This ensures a level tone in all the songs in the set that evening. I noticed at one show that the set list was touching the mic stand and EJ was having troubles with ground loops that night. I recommended through a friend that he place the setlist next to the surge protector and, presto, consistent tone from song to song. He never did thank me, though.

WAIT?!!? You were joking? I was writing all this down!! .)

regotheamigo
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Yet he's Eric Johnson.

I'm friends with Tony MacAlpine, and we were sitting around having a few beers one night, and he was telling me that he went to Austin back in the 80's for something to do with Peavey, and some local guy told him that he had to check this guy out in town that's playing tonight. Tony walks in before the show starts, and took a look at his live rig, and just laughed thinking that this guy was going to suck. 2 minutes into Eric's gig, Tony said he was just sinking in his chair in amazement at how great he sounded, and played.

Kentano2000
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM

:roll:roll:roll

Touche, my friend, touche! I'm a huge fan, too. Thanks for the laugh!

etc
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
his board looks like shit!

sidehatch
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
That extra cabling is your friend. I've been saying this for years. As I heard my friends talk about keeping cables short and adding buffers I was adding a 20ft cable in my amps fx loop to make it sing more for my lead tone. Then I got a redplate dumbleator and run my fx in there. It adds just the right amount of high end rolloff but if you dont want that it has 2 bright switches.

Aj_rocker
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
who cares its eric johnson. theres a picture of a rack (on hri) from a very very famous pro, with the all the wires in the back being a massive rat nest. yet he still uses it.

Gigbag
02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Oops I missed Kenny D's prior plywood comment. But he only discussed the thickness. I think the make-up of the plywood is important too.

gpro34
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
All of the gear heads on this forum and no one can name pedal under the power strip? I'm shocked!

cugel
02-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Yet he's Eric Johnson.

so true so true
it just goes to show...
i mean who is going to really make a strong case that ej doesnt know tone: few .

he has spent more time fiddling with knobs in the last 20 years than i have spent PLAYING

nightraven
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Here it is:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh159/halehaku/GetImage-1aspx.jpg

It's there alright!

Hope this help!
how did you get that enclosure? did you make it? is it an original one? O.o

looks brilliant!

Glide
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting that photo - This has been a great thread. I have some equipment that he used in the past and it's always enjoyable to see stuff that he uses and how he sets it up.

Mr. Kite
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
All of the gear heads on this forum and no one can name pedal under the power strip? I'm shocked!

I think the OP says it's a Smoky Audio Tubeless OD.

Lolaviola
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM
...Time to put that DD-2 in the emporium!

sanhozay
02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Why is his board such a rats nest and his hair always perfect? Something to think about...

todd richman
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
It is a Smoky Signal Audio EL-34D Tubeless Overdrive. I just sold mine last week. Here is the website:

http://www.smokysignalaudio.com/

wichita
02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Todd
Could not remember which one that was.

re-animator
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm friends with Tony MacAlpine, and we were sitting around having a few beers one night, and he was telling me that he went to Austin back in the 80's for something to do with Peavey, and some local guy told him that he had to check this guy out in town that's playing tonight. Tony walks in before the show starts, and took a look at his live rig, and just laughed thinking that this guy was going to suck. 2 minutes into Eric's gig, Tony said he was just sinking in his chair in amazement at how great he sounded, and played.

wait tony mac said this??

no offense, I really dig the guy and his playing, but wasn't his rig exemplary of 80s overcompressed clean/chorus with rockman/scholz solid state OD gear??

todd richman
02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
You're welcome! Mine is gone already-the Precision Multi-Drive knocked it off the board and it knocks my socks off-great Tube Scremer-esque pedal with fatness, girth, volume and that sweet mid hump. Killer pedal too.

regotheamigo
02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
wait tony mac said this??

no offense, I really dig the guy and his playing, but wasn't his rig exemplary of 80s overcompressed clean/chorus with rockman/scholz solid state OD gear??

Well he probably came into the gig and saw these old beat up amps, and that pedal board that we are making fun of here, and just assumed that it was going to sound bad. Remember too, back in the 80's everybody was doing all the rack mount, too much delay reverb chorus thing and nobody was doing what Eric was doing with the old vintage stuff for the most part. Tony loves E.J and only has great things to say about him.

billconnorsfan
03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Hope this help!how did you get that enclosure? did you make it? is it an original one? O.o

looks brilliant!

Nightraven,

Thanks for the kind words. It's a side/fun/hobby thing I do. It's all the stock circuit, but for whatever reason this one is really high gain PNP! It sounds cool! Warm like a PNP and it clips in the manner of an NPN Fuzz Face.

I've also made a blue BC108 FF:
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh159/halehaku/Photo20.jpg

and a Yellow BC109 like the Dave Fox Prototype:
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh159/halehaku/Photo19.jpg

Glad you hear that you dig it!

J.T. Guitar
03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
That extra cabling is your friend.

Only if you have ice-picky and piercing highs... Like a couple of maxed out 50 watt Plexis and Fender twins.;)

Off the subject; Does anyone else besides me like the old Maple EJ better than the new RW fretboard EJ?

eddie101
03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Only if you have ice-picky and piercing highs... Like a couple of maxed out 50 watt Plexis and Fender twins.;)

Off the subject; Does anyone else besides me like the old Maple EJ better than the new RW fretboard EJ?

Once upon a time, I was a die hard rosewood board guy then one day, my good friend - Jon Steinman (Jonnie and the StingRays) - turned me onto maple board strats and I never looked back. To me, maple board sounds more bell-like and tight sounding. EJ's RW board model looks too cheesy to me, especially w/those bindings. It has that early '70 Jazz bass look to it.....Not my cup of tea.

Now, let's get back to Smoky Audio Tubless pedal, shall we? Has anyone tried one recently? If not, you should check it out :dude

KHAN
03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
The new Epiphone "Eric Johnson Re-Issue Birch Pedal Board Slab" is actually MDF with with a thin poplar veneer. Talk about "tone suck". BUYER BEWARE! ! !

I keed.... :D