PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a boost?

dksouthpaw
02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
So me and a friend have been tinkering with a semi SHO clone with a few more options. we were thinking about trying to make some and market them to friends and friends of friends in the austin/san marcos music scene and college scene (college scene be read as 'aspiring muscians')

anyways. their SHO based boosts in the small catalinbread style boxes, what we need help with is figuring out what needs would guitarist appreciate most so here are the options:

style 1: Gain only - straight up SHO style.

style 2: Gain and Volume - This would be like the 2nd have of the Super
Duper where you have the gain, but a volume control to have a bit
of clipping

style 3: Gain with Tone - we were thinking basic SHO but with a Big Muff
type tone circuit, possibly putting the tone on a push/pull switch to
bypass it.

so what would you appreciate having the most? please mark the poll and leave any options or thought below that you would like to see.

-david

thesjkexperienc
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
more knobs = less tone.

dksouthpaw
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
more knobs = less tone.

true! thats why mines got the tone knob with a switch to take it outta the circuit

dksouthpaw
02-21-2009, 09:31 PM
ttt

stevel
02-21-2009, 09:37 PM
so what would you appreciate having the most?

-david

I want a boost that makes the amp louder, without changing a thing except volume. My tone, simply louder. I want to play rhythm with my tone, then a lead with the same tone.

I guess what I want is a "bump" rather than a boost.

What I need is a "un-boost". I set the amp to loud sound I want, and then stepping on the pedal drops it back a preselected amount. Sort of like turning the volume knob on the guitar down, without changing the tone.

Of course, it would probably have to be at the master volume stage, rather than in front of the amp.

Steve

yeahyeahyeah
02-21-2009, 09:37 PM
#2 :AOK

33pf across the gate and drain will nullify the need for a tone control and make the Mosfets overdrive less harsh without dulling the tone.

TheLemon
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Number 3 sounds pretty interesting (a flat-mids tonestack of course)
Maybe a switchable buffer too? That could come in handy.

Greggy
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I want a transparent boost. You know, you press the switch and there is no change, period. Transparency. That's the ticket.

dksouthpaw
02-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I want a boost that makes the amp louder, without changing a thing except volume. My tone, simply louder. I want to play rhythm with my tone, then a lead with the same tone.

What I need is a "un-boost". I set the amp to loud sound I want, and then stepping on the pedal drops it back a preselected amount. Sort of like turning the volume knob on the guitar down, without changing the tone.

Of course, it would probably have to be at the master volume stage, rather than in front of the amp.

Steve

yeah i definitely would imagine that to be an amp thing.

but dude i'm so right there with you on this idea!!

beachwail
02-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I like to roll off some bass on a lot of my lead boosts. I have 2 boosts on my board now. RC booster, set to cut some bass. Menatone WMB has a built in boost that's pretty fat sounding in a much different way than the RC. I like the diversity, but ultimately that bass cut is VERY handy for just cutting through with razor leads, be it chicken picken or saturated drive tones.

NBarnes21
02-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Mostly I want it to make my guitar louder

dksouthpaw
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
style 2 and 3 are currently tied!!!

thetangmang
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Breaking the tie with a vote for #3.

jzilla
02-23-2009, 12:29 AM

Steve

i made this. turned out to be a very simple build. it's a passive volume attenuator with a single knob. takes a 9 volt but only to power the LED. i'd dial in my rambler to it's point of sweet breakup and then use the pedal to clean up the tone. now i mainly use a showman because i need to stay clean at a louder volume. so i use the rc boost for a little hair and have stopped using the 'attenuator' pedal.

let me know if we want info on the design. really simple.

-j
anyway, i'll post a shot of the pedal's guts

earthtonesaudio
02-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Schem for passive "un-boost" with tone control:

Use the circuit as you please but please don't take the name. I'm rather proud of the "Stoob." :)

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=38618&g2_serialNumber=1

...No crackle.

Wooley
02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Out of the options listed, I went with Style 3, even though that is not what I personally want in a boost.

The only thing I want in a boost is boost.
No gain, just boost.

Since that was not an option, I decided to go whole hog.
If I'm gonna have a boost, I need to be able to control the output, so yes to volume, and if I now already have volume and gain, I might as well have a tone control on it too (especially if it's push/pull).

But I am a CLEAN boost man.

dksouthpaw
02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
and now style 2 has taken the lead!

Lolaviola
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I dunno about you, but I would like a round (not trebbly) boost, and a little compression. Not really a compressor, but I'd just like to "feel" a little extra sustain. For me the clean King of Tone channel is great for this.

Yr Blues
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I like whatever the BJF Baby Pink is, without the exorbitant price, yo.

thesjkexperienc
03-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I want a boost that slightly thickens the plain strings and slightly brightens the wound strings. Why cant anyone do this????

I love my Sex Drive, but with the tone knob was a presence cut and boost. As it is I can have some troubles with trebles ;)

sodapopinski
03-11-2009, 11:45 PM
i like to make my clean LOUDER without any tonal change... the reason being that i use a boost to adjust my clean sound according to the loudness of my Dirt pedals, so i do not like any clipping from the boost

soulsonic
03-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Howabout you do something that has nothing to do with the SHO?
What about some JFETs, or maybe something with an opamp. There's a million ways to do a boost.
Gus Smalley's NPN Boost is a good boost and it does some interesting things with the input impedance that you don't see in other things.

dksouthpaw
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Howabout you do something that has nothing to do with the SHO?
What about some JFETs, or maybe something with an opamp. There's a million ways to do a boost.
Gus Smalley's NPN Boost is a good boost and it does some interesting things with the input impedance that you don't see in other things.

SHO based is just what the man told me to ask about. i'll pass on the thoughts though!