PDA

View Full Version : Gold or Hot Gold? (Lace Sensors)

Fatso Forgotso
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi guys, I got given a Squier Stratocaster from a friend a while back, and I'm thinking of completely modding it gradually. In the end, I'll have a completely new Strat. So far, I've got a much better tremolo. However, I need a new bridge pickup.

I need something that's not too expensive, can easily be found on ebay or somewhere in the UK, and will give me a shimmery, funky clean tone that'll work well with fairly low gain and a Silicon Fuzz (Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz). I also want something that's fairly bright, but not earsplittingly trebly, especially with gain.

I think I've settled on either a Gold or Hot Gold Lace Sensor. Whaddya guys think would be a better choice? Is there anyone on here in the UK that would like to get rid of one of these Lace Sensors? :p

Thanks in advance,

Fatso :BEER

Tone_Terrific
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
HG 6k is a great all round pup.
No, none for sale.

Fatso Forgotso
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Coo', I'll be looking for one of them then. Cheers!

Fatso Forgotso
02-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Hmmm, I'm not so sure if the HG has enough output for a bridge pickup, even though I wont be using much gain on it anyway. I think a Lace Silver would be best, it's a shame they're not made as bridge pickups though. I should be fine with a 6.0k Hot Gold though, right?

9fingers
02-20-2009, 08:50 AM
The 6K Hot Gold can be a fine bridge pup- it is not uncomfortably trebly, sounds good clean and takes OD well. For still great twang and a little more "oomph", the Lace Hot Silver is also a good bridge pup.

Shark Sandwich
02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
not to rain on your parade, but I think lace sensor pickups just don't sound good. With a clean amp tone they're all right, but lay on any distortion and they have this wacked-out fuzzy tone that blows, in my opinion. Listen to any of the stuff Buddy Guy did with his lace sensor equipped polka dot strat--it's real farty and fuzzy. Same with Eric Clapton when he was using the lace sensors. I think this is the reason Fender stopped using them.

Fatso Forgotso
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Hmmm, I only ever use a clean tone, fairly light OD, never any higher gain than probably Led Zeppelin, and I use a fuzz too. I think the Lace Sensors should be fine for me. I have a friend who's got a Lace Gold and Silver in the positions I want them in, so I'll ask him about them.

gulliver
02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I had those in a '90s strat, didn't care for them, too compressed. I'd recommend you go with the SCN noiseless pickups in the new deluxe strats. People upgrade, so their easy to find on the cheap. I bought an extra set for $45 used.

Fatso Forgotso
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Hmmm, I was thinking of going Gold in the neck, possibly Silver in the middle and Hot Gold in the bridge. I know I like the tone of a Gold in the neck, I'm not so sure about the others though.

Tone_Terrific
02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
A- you will never know until you try. Beware of other opinions...they don't have your gear, needs or ears.
B- Check out the Fender Forum, where HG are held in particularly high esteem, to find clips.

Thomas27
02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
An old friend had laces in a Strat Plus he'd had for years, it wasn't authentic strat tone admittedly; but it was one of the coolest live sounds with his old Vibrolux and the pedal sounds were great. I wouldn't bash laces after that experience, different strokes for different folks as it goes.

9fingers
02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
The new Hot Golds & Hot Silvers are very different beasts from the older Golds. Many who bash Lace pups have not heard or played Hot Golds.
Go to the Fender Discussion Page, the "Pup Tent" forum & do a search for posts by Smark (Mark Mitchell). He has many KILLER clips done on Hot Golds (some with heavy distortion). Do a search for Lace Hot Golds or Hot Golds for lots of good info on them.

"different strokes for different folks as it goes". for sure. There is not a pickup made that does not have some detractors and some supporters. I won't prescribe Hot Golds for you, but don't like to hear that they can't sound right for some. I would play them over any Strat pup - YMMV.

Fatso Forgotso
02-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Ah, yeah, I'll have a look on the Fender Discussion Page. I'll also probably be going to Denmark Street next week, so I'll be able to find guitars with Lace Golds and Silvers in them, but probably not HGs.

rockstarjay
02-21-2009, 06:14 AM
An old friend had laces in a Strat Plus he'd had for years, it wasn't authentic strat tone admittedly; but it was one of the coolest live sounds with his old Vibrolux and the pedal sounds were great.

My gold laces sounded great in my Strat plus. Thing is everything does. Switched them out (after trying many different noiseless pickups) for SSL-1's, and now the guitar will blow your mind. Put the same pickups in my squier last week and HATED them. The laces only sound good in certain (high end) guitars.

I think I've settled on either a Gold or Hot Gold Lace Sensor. Whaddya guys think would be a better choice? Is there anyone on here in the UK that would like to get rid of one of these Lace Sensors?

The best Lace for a squier IMO would be the holy grails. They really sounded great in my $150 Squier. So good I traded it for a 412 with vintage celestions.

Fatso Forgotso
02-22-2009, 03:11 AM
My gold laces sounded great in my Strat plus. Thing is everything does. Switched them out (after trying many different noiseless pickups) for SSL-1's, and now the guitar will blow your mind. Put the same pickups in my squier last week and HATED them. The laces only sound good in certain (high end) guitars.

The best Lace for a squier IMO would be the holy grails. They really sounded great in my $150 Squier. So good I traded it for a 412 with vintage celestions.
I suspect most things sound bad in a Squier. :p

I'll be getting a Highway 1 body to replace the Squier body soon.

I'll go to Denmark Street and try out all the pickups I can, might turn out that I prefer SCNs or something. :D

jackbart1960
02-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I had a MIA Strat that I put the HG's in. It was a neat addition to the quiver of guits but it never got played enough so I flipped it for a Egnater amp. I definately ended up with the better deal. Someone earlier said something about being compressed. I really couldn't express what I felt what was wrong with the sound but that hits it on the head. They do sound unique clean, but I need something that's more than the one trick pony that they were. Peace. J.J.B.

Fatso Forgotso
02-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Hmmm, I do like the sound of the SCNs. I shall do some more pondering.

Cheers. :)

rockstarjay
02-22-2009, 07:21 AM
I had a MIA Strat that I put the HG's in. It was a neat addition to the quiver of guits but it never got played enough so I flipped it for a Egnater amp. I definately ended up with the better deal. Someone earlier said something about being compressed. I really couldn't express what I felt what was wrong with the sound but that hits it on the head. They do sound unique clean, but I need something that's more than the one trick pony that they were. Peace. J.J.B.

I didn't like the holy grails in ,y usa strat plus either, They were chew chew chewy like humbuckers. They did sound great in my squier affinity, masking its flaws.

I avoid noiseless single coils in general, but the topic was which lace pickups were best in the squier.

Fatso Forgotso
02-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Apparently the grails are stacked buckers.

The Squier wont be a Squier for long. When I get enough money, I'll be getting a Highway 1 body and a new neck for it.

Eagle1
02-22-2009, 07:32 AM
They are nether single coils or humbuckers and sound generic robbing the tonal character of the guitar ,You may or may not like the tone but they do not ape classic strat tones in any way. Personally I think there are a lot better pickups out there.

Fatso Forgotso
02-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I've read that they are true single coils, but I think I should go for something more like a classic Stratocaster, and I don't think that the Laces would do that. I've made a new thread, but I'll leave this here for the time being.

Cheers,

Faisal :BEER

Waxhead
02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
If you play rock/heavy rock go for Hot Golds. Very happy with mine in a Strat Plus.