PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a small-ish all tube bass head or combo

gushtone
02-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Anyone have a recommendation? Needs enough juice to do smaller gigs but mostlyI want it for vibey recordings. I'm a guitar player by trade but I gigged for about 8 years as a bassist as well and I am cutting a new record on which I also do the bass work, and I need a new rig for home/recording and the occasional bass gig. Any recommendations?
Peace...

mainsale
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
An Ampeg B-15-N comes to mind. They always seem to be for sale on Fleabay. Also the Ampeg B-100R is outstanding. It's solid state but sounds very, very close to a tube B-15-N.

jokerjkny
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
how much do you want to spend?

my alessandro basset hound is my goto for most chill recordings. heck, most of george's amps are soo hifi, they'd be great bass amps.

i am finding that the 6550's are better for bass' low end freq's, and the voicing of the Basset seems to be beefier than my seemingly similarly built 6550 loaded bloodhound.

but hey, why not just a terrific sounding tube DI? a great DI can really make a bass sound flippin' awesome in the mix. i regularly use a demeter tube di, but also an a-designs reddi, but these days, been LOVING the universal audio solo/610 in a friend's studio. good lord, that thing makes the lower end sound like thickest cut bacon you've ever had.

Kitsapbass
02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Bass Player mag did a review of the Basset...gave it good marks too.

gushtone
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey thanks for the tips. We have been tracking through a B15N and my '66 Blackface Bassman head/cab. As to my budget, less is more right now, as they asy. But you never know. The bassman has been sounding pretty killer. Really front of the speaker and tight (very low volumes.) Fortunately I'm not playing my 5 string on any of this stuff. Going for some retro tones, Hofner, P-Bass, J, Rick, etc...

Peace...

Bassomatic
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey thanks for the tips. We have been tracking through a B15N and my '66 Blackface Bassman head/cab. As to my budget, less is more right now, as they asy. But you never know. The bassman has been sounding pretty killer. Really front of the speaker and tight (very low volumes.) Fortunately I'm not playing my 5 string on any of this stuff. Going for some retro tones, Hofner, P-Bass, J, Rick, etc...

Peace...

Hard to beat a good vintage Portaflex combined with a modern, high quality DI, for my money (studio-wise, at least).

iualum
03-15-2009, 05:30 AM
...for a combo, check out the Pignose B-100V (all tube, four 6L6s, 100 watts)...

...for a head, the Traynor YBA200-2...

...no need to look further unless you have your heart set on an Ampeg tube combo & you've found one in good shape at a good price...and still the Pignose is almost surely better...

padavis
03-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I know you can only get them at GC but the Markbass stuff is incredible. They have had some steller deals on them too recently.

iualum
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I know you can only get them at GC but the Markbass stuff is incredible. They have had some steller deals on them too recently.
...are you talking about the $2600 300-watt tube head?...