PDA

View Full Version : GFS dream 90 vs 180...

idk
02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
for my epiphone dot. i think i wanna change out the neck pickup but leave the humbucker in the bridge for the warmth and darkness. anyways, it was suggested that i throw a p90 into the neck, and heard good things about the GFS dream 90. but going onto the site, i saw these GFS dream 180s, and if i'm reading correctly(i'm new to electric guitars in general) they're like p90s and filtertrons put together? filtertrons are found in gretsches? what would sound better in my dot? I've never heard a semi-hollow with filtertrons before, only in a Duo Jet. a p90 is such a classic sound though. do they even fit in there? i'm a church musician so i guess i play more rock type of music. help!

fretless
02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I've never played a guitar with either pickup, but I've read a TON of posts regarding them. Apparently the Dream 90 is more of a big strat sized pickup bobbin under a humbucker shell. Supposedly it gets a P-90 flavor, but it has a unique "airy" quality. I will say I've heard very few negative reviews of it. The Dream 180 supposedly will give you a "Gretschy" flavor, but opinions are mixed. I've yet to see a bad review per se, but I've read some players thought it sounded more like a bright humbucker, albeit a good one.

One other option from GFS - the Mean 90. Supposed to be MUCH more like a P-90, as it is wrapped on a P-90 bobbin (much like a Duncan Phat Cat for example). Output wise, at least, it may match up better if you plan on keeping your bridge humbucker. There are quite a few Mean 90 fans around here from what I've gathered. Personally, the thought of 2 Mean 90's in a Dot sounds pretty darn cool!!

idk
02-25-2009, 11:16 PM
I've never played a guitar with either pickup, but I've read a TON of posts regarding them. Apparently the Dream 90 is more of a big strat sized pickup bobbin under a humbucker shell. Supposedly it gets a P-90 flavor, but it has a unique "airy" quality. I will say I've heard very few negative reviews of it. The Dream 180 supposedly will give you a "Gretschy" flavor, but opinions are mixed. I've yet to see a bad review per se, but I've read some players thought it sounded more like a bright humbucker, albeit a good one.

One other option from GFS - the Mean 90. Supposed to be MUCH more like a P-90, as it is wrapped on a P-90 bobbin (much like a Duncan Phat Cat for example). Output wise, at least, it may match up better if you plan on keeping your bridge humbucker. There are quite a few Mean 90 fans around here from what I've gathered. Personally, the thought of 2 Mean 90's in a Dot sounds pretty darn cool!!
thanks fretless. i was reading reviews on harmony central and everyone seems to be raving about the dream 90s(overall 9.3~) and the dream 180s(9.7), but when it came to mean 90s, it was in the high 7s or low 8s maybe.

also, i've never heard a semi hollow gretsch, so i dont know what its gonna sound like, but duo jets are cool.

I've heard very good things about Phat Cats also, but i just can't seem to want to spend 80 bucks on a single pickup right now. i can see spending low 30s which GFSs run for though.

idk
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
bump

OlAndrew
02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got that rig sorta upside-down. I'm running a Vintage 59 hummer at the neck, and a Mean 90 at the bridge in my Riviera Deluxe. Neck only gives me warm and rich, bridge only gives me a nice cutting edge with a nice low and low mid (for a singlecoil) but what's really interesting is both turned on. Lots of different "colored" tones using the volume controls to vary the mix. Very versatile overall.

Be prepared for much tinkering, and patience, required to get the pickup heights, and pot and cap values sorted out for the best result.

BPSUL
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The general consensus is that a Mean 90 is much better than a dream 90 - and closer to a real P90 sound (very very close according to many)

just an fyi

branbolio
02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
im really liking the mean 90s in my prs hollow spruce. very good p90 vibe.

idk
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
what about a mean90 in the neck and a dream180 in the bridge for leads? i like the punchiness/brightness of the p90, but i love the clean, twangy, crisp sound of a good gretsch filtertron. i know i probably shouldn't play both pickups at once, but what do you guys think?

BPSUL
03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
do it and let us know. I've considered the same thing actually for an ibanez artcore...

bobmc
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I went with Dream neck, Mean bridge in a basswood Strat and lust after playing it.
I use a 5F2A Prince, only an EQ pedal and nail every conceivable (ok, ok, three) great tones. +1 on the airy description. They hum and are lo-fi; these are compliments.

Pickup descriptions are like male nipples; we have them, but why? Hope that helps.

69strat
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
All I can say is ...... I had a dream 90 in the bridge of an epi les paul.... Everyone who heard it asked what I had in the bridge.... I mean everybody !!!! It sounds like a tele pup on steroids !!! What I liked about it was that it didnt get that midrange honk that I sometimes dont like about p90's ( gonna get hell for that one )..

blueshawk1
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I have an Xaviere guitar that came with Dream180s, sounded to me like they were too hot, great for playing metal, which I don't, so I REALLY didn't like them. Fortunately, splitting them gave me a better smoother sound out of them.
I also have a set of Dream90s to put into a guitar, but haven't done it yet, so I can't personally comment on the sound of those yet, but I do know I read a lot of good about them before I bought them.

CitizenCain
03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I went with Dream neck, Mean bridge in a basswood Strat and lust after playing it.

I always thought that would be a killer combination. I wish GFS would make a Mean 90 with a pearl top to match the pearl-topped Dreams I already have :D

idk
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
so is the consensus that the mean90N/dream180B is a viable combo?

pipedwho
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I also ended up liking the Dream180 neck and Mean90 in the bridge better than the other way around. The 180 is a FANTASTIC neck pickup, and the Mean90 tames the bridge position very well.

Blingdogg
03-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a dream 180 neck pup in one guitar and it rocks. A lot of other people like it too. But I don't hear as many good things about the Dream 180 bridge.

I'd go for a dream 180 neck and mean90 bridge.

But really, you can email the Jay, owner of GFS and he'll answer all your questions in no time.

dezb1
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I have an epiphone Riviera with a mean 90 bridge and a dream 90 neck pickup, both pickups sound substantially better than the stock humbuckers

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss274/dezb1/martin/rivieraP90.jpg

Ps: I didn’t realise how old this thread was when I posted, I was just browsing topics of interest...sorry