PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Power vs. Dunlop power brick

codeorama
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
What's the difference?
If I bought the Voodoo power supply, would I have to buy a separate cable to power an 18v pedal? I know the Dunlop supply already has the 18v spots, so nothing else is needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sub rosa
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Pedal Power features all isolated outputs. I believe the DC Brick is for all intent and purposes like a power strip or daisy chain. Pedal Power is generally considered to be superior and less susceptible to noise.

You would need a Y style chord to power an 18v pedal from the PP using two of its outputs. I do this with my Memory Lane.

There is plenty of juice available on the PP to run some daisy chains from the outputs to increase the number of pedals you can run from it.

codeorama
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you! That helps.

jam10
04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeh the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 is great. I have one on my board right now and it works fantastic. I highly recommend the Voodoo Lab PP 2.

codeorama
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
THanks, looks like I'll buy the Voodoo Lab Power Plus2 tomorrow... Thanks guys.

Unadan
04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
The brick is a regulated power supply, cheaper than the VL, and comes with 3 cables out of the box to power 18V pedals - nothing else needs to be purchased. So far I like it but it won't power my DMM.

VA_siCkBoy
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I have had no problems at all with my dc-brick and it powers all my pedals with no noise.

cedjazz
04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I have both & use both on separate boards. I actually have 2 PP's.... I prefer the PP. Why? it come down to reliability. I've had both the PP's for a total of 15 years and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I've had my DC for about 3 years and it AND the transformer(on separate occasions) crapped out when powering my board for a gig. I like the fact it takes up less space, but anxiety sets in every time I power up..... both seem quiet.

wingwalker
04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
The DC brick is nothing more than a daisy chain in a box...the PPII+ is an 8 out, isolated power supply...

thetangmang
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
The DC brick is nothing more than a daisy chain in a box...the PPII+ is an 8 out, isolated power supply...

This.

B_of_H
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
my dd20 makes a weird noise squealing with a dc brick or my gator 8-bus. No noise when powered by my pp2.

other than that i didn't have problems with the dc brick at all.

Pat Healy
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I use both in my rig. Both work well and are dead quiet. The Brick is more convenient for 18v pedals.

Unadan
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
The DC Brick is more than a daisy chain in a box BTW. It's about a 1000 times better than a one spot.

GearOnTheBrain
04-08-2009, 12:59 AM

wrong.

ikan
04-08-2009, 02:30 AM
What are you guys talking about? Get this :banana:
http://www.urmascapaturma.ro/New%20Products%202009.pdf

stinkfoot
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
wrong.How?

In the DC Brick, all outputs are tied together at the ground plane, while the 9vDC and 18vDC sections has separate voltage regulators (obviously). The 9vDC section has 375mA total, while the 18vDC section provides the remaining 625mA (of the 1000mA total). But, as all the outputs are tied together at the ground level, it is essentially just a daisy chain in a box. That doesn't automatically make it a bad power supply, though.

The Pedal Power 2+ has a separate transformer, rectifier/filter and regulator for each output. This means that the outputs are completely independent power supplies, all the way from the mains AC tap, with no relationship to each other.

/Andreas

Unadan
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
What's the difference? Does it matter whether each output is independent or not? The bottom line is each device is getting a regulated and correct amount of power. Not sure why this even needs to be pointed out if it's true. Lastly if the 18v and 9v sections have separate voltage regulators how is that a daisy chain?

Pat Healy
04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
What's the difference? Does it matter whether each output is independent or not? The bottom line is each device is getting a regulated and correct amount of power.

Not quite that simple. Quiet power (i.e., free of buzzing/humming noises) is just as important. The PP2's isolated outputs make it less prone to grounding issues, and therefore more likely to be quiet. Regarding the "daisy chain" comment, I believe he was referring to the 9v outlets only. I suppose you could say that the 9v and 18v sections are two daisy chains.

Though again, in practice, both the PP2 and the DC Brick are dead quiet in my rig.

Tibbonds
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I suppose you could say that the 9v and 18v sections are two daisy chains.

That's just about exactly right. At least that's what it amounts to.

I found the DC Brick to be VERY temeramental when I had it. Sometimes it was noisy as hell, other times not so much. Sometimes certain pedals wouldn't power up until I swapped the order of the leads coming out of the Brick - and that's something I can't even explain.

One thing for sure, 375ma for the 9v outlets is piss-poor. Not nearly enough juice available unless all you're powering is low current pedals like ODs and fuzzes etc.

Unadan
04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
It seems to power my old Boss CE-3 just fine and that pedal technically requires 12 volts.

Tibbonds
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I *think* that proves the daisychain theory. I'm sure Andreas has said once before that you can run those old Boss pedals on 9v providing they share a daisychain with other pedals. Try feeding it by itself from a wallwart and I don't think it will work.

Unadan
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
The CE-3 doesn't work with the newer boss adapters. So are you saying the Voodoo device won't power my Boss pedal?

Tibbonds
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
The CE-3 WOULD work with the newer Boss adaptors if you daisychained a couple of pedals from that adaptor.

I'm certain thta at least one of the Voodoo Lab power supplies can power the old ACA Boss pedals. Have a look on their website, it'll tell you on there.

NicD
04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
The CE-3 actually does work off new adapters, only thing is, the LED barely lights.
And the PP2(+) can power them fine, just use one of the ACA outs (1-4) and engage the DIP switch on the back, it'll deliver 12VDC.
(for the record, I'm powering my CE-2, CS-2 and PH-2 off ACA outlets of my PP2+, works flawlessly).

GearOnTheBrain
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
ive had my Dunlop Brick for 7 years with ZERO problems.
No noise, always reliable, powers everything i need it to, etc.
the voodoolabs has more features, sure and may be more technically advanced......but the brick gets the job done for me, always has.

Unadan
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I think personally there is somewhat of a bias against MXR here for some reason.

GearOnTheBrain
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
you mean dunlop?
the brick isn't made by MXR

Ben C.
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I think personally there is somewhat of a bias against MXR here for some reason.
People seem to love the EVH phaser and Carbon Copy... don't think there's a Dunlop / MXR bias.

The point is, the Brick is like a daisy chain, the PP is like individual wall-warts. So any issues that people have with clock noise, whine, polarity, etc. are solved with a PP. If you have no pedals that exhibit these issues with a DC Brick, that's fantastic! Same goes for people with a 1-Spot or Power-All. But, I think here, where people swap pedals around like hot potatoes, it's better to have a power supply that you know will not be 'the problem' with whatever new pedals you receive.

-Ben

Pat Healy
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
People seem to love the EVH phaser and Carbon Copy... don't think there's a Dunlop / MXR bias.

The point is, the Brick is like a daisy chain, the PP is like individual wall-warts. So any issues that people have with clock noise, whine, polarity, etc. are solved with a PP. If you have no pedals that exhibit these issues with a DC Brick, that's fantastic! Same goes for people with a 1-Spot or Power-All. But, I think here, where people swap pedals around like hot potatoes, it's better to have a power supply that you know will not be 'the problem' with whatever new pedals you receive.

-Ben

Plenty of praise around here for the MXR 10-Band EQ pedal as well. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Brick, but that doesn't indicate a bias against MXR or Dunlop. It just indicates that it doesn't work for some people.

charmboy
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I happily use my PP2+ to power my MXR Carbon Copy.

Also love my JH-F1 and plan on picking up a custom shop 74 script phase 90...

Most of us here just want the best we can get for our buck and if it's not being built by children in China, we're ok with getting it from a bigger company as well.

stinkfoot
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
What's the difference? Does it matter whether each output is independent or not? The bottom line is each device is getting a regulated and correct amount of power. Not sure why this even needs to be pointed out if it's true. Lastly if the 18v and 9v sections have separate voltage regulators how is that a daisy chain?Yes, it matters. Or not, depending on your particular pedals. By far the quietest way to power a chain of pedals is with individual batteries. This is partly because a battery provides a pure DC voltage (unlike the voltage from a power supply/adapter, which will always carry a little ripple, as a reminder that it once was an AC voltage), but also because the pedals can't interact with each other through the power jacks. A supply with individually isolated outputs simulates the latter, by providing completely separate power sources for each pedal. This means you won't get LFO ticking from a modulation pedal amplified by your dirt pedals, you can't get ground loops (from connecting the pedals' ground planes both through the signal and power cables) and you can provide power to positive ground pedals (germanium fuzz faces etc) without shorting the whole supply out.

As the DC Brick doesn't have isolated outputs - all 10 outputs' grounds are connected to each other - you won't have any of those benefits.

I *think* that proves the daisychain theory. I'm sure Andreas has said once before that you can run those old Boss pedals on 9v providing they share a daisychain with other pedals. Try feeding it by itself from a wallwart and I don't think it will work.Exactly. As the DC Brick (or daisy chain, if that's what you use) connect the power negative in all the pedals, the components that limit the 12vDC going into the ACA pedal will be bypassed, making the CE-3 work with 9 volts DC. If the supply had isolated outputs, you'd have to provide 12 volts DC for the CE-3 (as there would be no other pedals hooked up to its power jack).

I think personally there is somewhat of a bias against MXR here for some reason.I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no problem with Dunlop/MXR. It's just that the DC Brick simply isn't as good as the Pedal Power 2+, or at least doesn't have all the features of the PP2+. On the other thand, it is quite a bit cheaper, so if it works for you that's just fine. :AOK

/Andreas

Unadan
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Personally I wouldn't expect the Brick to be as good as the PP 2 since it is almost TWICE the cost. I've had the brick for a while and its powering my OCD via 18volts and other 9v pedals without any detectable problems.

Unadan
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Gearonthebrain wrote: you mean dunlop?
the brick isn't made by MXR

-and MXR is owned by?...thanks for playing!

BTW - the box my DC Brick came in has the "MXR" logo all over it.

cedjazz
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Here was my problem... when I powered up the DC on a gig, the LED light started flashing, which made all the LED's on the effects flash(all in sync). this made me think that whatever the problem was, all the outputs were connected....... I love the CC so there's no Dunlop hatorade here.</p>

Shiny McShine
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Not entirely accurate. DCB does an 18V out also.