PDA

View Full Version : Bugera Vintage 5 (V5)

ImmortalSix
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Anybody heard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsDsqy9V9U) these, or better yet, played one?

I know Bugera brings the :mob, but I am interested in this thing for a few reasons: EL84 being one, a 5W, 1W, 0.1W "attenuator" being another. As a lowly apartment dweller, a 0.1W and 1W setting appeal to me quite a bit. I am wary of the Bugera amps for the parent-company-who-must-not-be-named, but the specs seem desireable.

Product Page (http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/V5.aspx)

jcarpenter
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I own a 333xl and love it! I think Bugera is a sleeper brand. There a lot of snobs that don't wanna admit they sound good because that means they spent too much on their rigs. Amp makers that wonder this forum will put down the quality because its not point to point wiring etc. As long as you take care it, it will last. I have been giging with mine since last spring.

If it sounds good play it.

Plus it will be cheaper than most boutique stuff. I also love their speakers! Just replace with the right tubes for your taste and you can't lose. I loaded my 333xl with KT88's and a at7 tube in V3. I get three perfectly voiced channels Fender Cleans, Marshall Crunch, and Mesa Lead.

Maruuk
04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Bugera/Behringer traditionally has taken ages (if ever) to get their dirt-cheap electronics cleared for US-release, but this V5 and V22 need to get here FAST!!! (especially given Fender's recent Mad Hatter price bubbles!)

Stinky Kitty
04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
If it sounds good play it.

Thread over. :dude

ImmortalSix
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Thread over. :dude
Yeah, I'm no brand snob, for sure.

I was just curious if any bros made it to Musikmesse and played the thing --- clips sound promising!

Maruuk
05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Looks like they're shipping to the States now--they used to have a warning saying they're not approved yet, now that's gone and the price is there. Cool! $149 for the V5 looks irresistable.

Maruuk
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
My local dealer says he expects them in within a couple of weeks, he has them on order and they're shipping. He confirmed the $149 for the V5 (kewl!), $349 for the V22 and four-something for the V55 combo. Fender beancounters are chewing lots of antacids. BTW, these are some seriously gorgeous vintage-look amps! And while Chinese-made, Bugera/Behringer has broken the mold by buying and running their very own factory in China, not jobbing out the assembly to a third party like so many other amp makers. Thus they maintain quality-control directly and lower costs. I mean if they can make a great-sounding V5 for $149 with a speaker-simulated headphone/recording out (a TUBE amp with a headphone out???) and reverb and a speaker out, plus 3-way switchable power (.1/1/5 watts) then this re-writes the whole bang-for-buck book on small recording/practice amps. That $1,000 Fender Champ better sound 10 times better than this.

JerryP
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I just had a Bugera 6260 here and it's just about an exact copy of the 5150 circuit. The only differecnes are the addition of reverb, no resonance control, and different switching circuitry. Built very cheaply and dropping like flies from what I read online. It did sound pretty good.
Jerry

theraygun
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Is this probably just a clone of the Peavey Mini Colossal with reverb instead of trem? The V22 a Classic 30 copy?

jlagrassa
05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm curious about the V22 and V55, I had a 333XL combo and it sounded great but was just to much amp for my aging back. Cabinet construction was pretty cheap but then again so are there prices so if there new Vintage amps sound good I will grab one!

CitizenCain
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
That V55 looks like it could take a 15" speaker pretty easily :bong

Maruuk
05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
My dealer says the 333/120-watt series of Bugeras sold like mad and his clients love em to death. He can't wait to get the Vintage dudes in.

kilsoo
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
To paraphrase "If it sounds good, play it." Got a V22 and all I gotta say is if you've ever had a fully featured 2 channel amp and wanted it to be playable at 22w. This is pretty much it. If you complain about a 22w amp, then you shouldn't be buying these in the first place.

Cel

whitehall
09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll buy both the 5w and the 22w from MF. Play them both for a few weeks and return the one I don't like. It's the main thing MF is good for.

Maruuk
09-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Bought the V5. Horrible. Went back the next day. See review under my V5 thread. And I'm a big Bugera believer. They just dropped the ball bigtime on the 5. The 22 and 55 are getting raves however. More power to em.

cheen2006
09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Bought the V5. Horrible. Went back the next day. See review under my V5 thread. And I'm a big Bugera believer. They just dropped the ball bigtime on the 5. The 22 and 55 are getting raves however. More power to em.

..I played one the other day while trading amps with someone and they sound pretty much like a $150 amp should sound...maybe $200

...I wouldn't say horrible, but they are what they are

...look nicer than most though

cheen

Maruuk
09-12-2009, 05:17 PM
The headphone/recording out sounds way overly bright and tinny, has a weird little intermittent electronic glitch sound in it, and the reverb tail in the headphone out is nothing but noise.

Too bad, it looks hot and seems very well built. That thick, beautifully finished leather handle alone speaks of quality. But the circuit designer was just out to lunch. It's a mess. Especially after you spend some time with it.

Played quietly, the cleans sound kind of warm and work well for jazz. But as you move into crunchland it all goes South.

Kaji13
09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Hmm, don' know what to make of it. It's definately giving Fender's crazy priced mini-amps a run for their money. Then again, I've heard the V5 is the worst of the series.

Maruuk
09-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah, give the V22 a serious look. Appears to be a whole nuther ballgame. The V5 slipped through the cracks somehow, just doesn't cut it. And I waited for it since January with big expectations. Very disappointing.

Kaji13
09-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah, give the V22 a serious look. Appears to be a whole nuther ballgame. The V5 slipped through the cracks somehow, just doesn't cut it. And I waited for it since January with big expectations. Very disappointing.
I wonder why the V5 is so depressingly bad compared to the other amps in that range...

Either way, the rest of the V amps from bugera are supposed to be great for what you pay.

Maruuk
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
No question, raves all around. Maybe if they're smart they'll make some key running changes to the V5. But they'd have to be some major changes! Right now it's just a quiet jazz amp. Needs a whole nuther circuit board to rock well. And fix the reverb, Bugera. HISS.

Davo17
12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
So I picked one up for 129 the other day at GC. Wow this thing rocks in my apt.

travolter
09-02-2011, 12:39 AM
First, let me say that I love my little Bugera.

People crab about their service and that you can't get a schematic. I got one from a service provider in about an hour.

People crab about cheap parts. I've taken mine apart and I saw lock tight and locking washers on every bolt. I saw perfect solder points on the board and every wire clamped, strapped and accounted for.

I like it better than the Champ (the Champ was too cagey for me - lacked sustain and fullness). I like it better than the Vox AC4 (the Vox was too boxy and didn't have soul - no give and take).

I liked it a lot which makes me wonder, "Why the hell did I spend another $250 on it with the Mercury Magnetics tranny & choke upgrade, and a new Jensen speaker?"

Oh, I know. It's a $150 amp. When the hell were you ever able to pick up a $150 amp that looked and sounded this good. I'll tell you: 1975.

Want to make your Bugera a monster. Check it out.

UPGRAYEDD!!!

Apologies for my limited playing and recording abilities. You have been warned...

Stock (except tubes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEfmw_fo8c
Merc Mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oKYlbEXuk
Merc Mod w/ Jensen Speaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4iQoajh5k

The Jensen makes this thing a monster. I can't imagine how good it's going to sound six months from now.

Unfortunately, I didn't tape much of the Jensen. Just a couple songs.

The new tranny opened it up; it made the whole spectrum of sound much more complete. The new speaker makes that spectrum shine.

Total costs:

150 amp
200 merc upgrade
40 speaker

390 total

I'm sure I could find a decent amp for 390. But this is my amp.

There's a lot I like about Bugera's V5: reverb, footprint, speaker size,
cabinet construction, tube choices, basic feel. The Merc upgrade was pricey, but it totally opened up the amp's potential.

Prior to the upgrade, I had a bedroom/practice sound that I liked, but I was compromising on harmonics and range of tone/presence to get it. The Merc upgrade demolished those compromises. Now it has big, open cleans at lower levels.

Yet, the overdriven sound was still found wanting.

Bugera chose their stock speaker based on their stock build. While the
speaker worked fine at bedroom/practice levels, it didn't do so well at
overdriven levels. It didn't sound bad, but there was a new set of
compromises I had to accept. Enter the Jensen C8R 25W.

The Jensen acts like it was made for the Merc tranny. The amp now reacts
extremely well to my picking dynamics. It snarls, purrs, and sings. It
really tamed the tranny. I've never experienced this level of control with a
small amp. I'm very proud of my Bugera V5.

My Lone Star Strat now quacks and snarls simultaneously. I have incredible string definition and control.

This Bugera is a serious beast. This is what a class A, 5 watt amp should
sound and play like. No compromises = $390. I don't think I could find a
better deal.

If you find one, buy one. You can't go wrong for $150. Change the speaker first. That's a cheap fix. Drop in some new tubes. Another cheap fix. If it's still speaking to you, spend the money on the Merc upgrade. You'll have a fun little project and get an amp that will haunt your dreams. All for under $400.

Mercury info:
Mercury Magnetics Axiom Choke MM-3H-CH $49.99
Mercury Magnetics Axiom Output SE-9K $126.00

tocs100
05-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Not sure if this isa Bugera V5-specific problem, but the headphone out used a s a line out...

Whether I use a stereo or mono cable, I get no sound unless the plug is almost in, then it's a really great tube pre; BUT, depending on the gain structure, I get either loud hum or static, and that's independent of the guitar's volume.

Will I have to mod this thing for a direct out/fx loop to get a clean output? The pre makes my Roland Cube actually useable! lol.