PDA

View Full Version : 15" for Ampeg Gemini II?

El Jefe
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I just got a Gemini II and it has the original 15" jensen concert alnico. Sounds great, but the speaker is pretty splatty/buzzy on the low notes and I like to play loud, crude, and with lots of drive and fuzz. I'd rather put the original on a shelf than blow it up with all that abuse.

So, I need a new 15" to go in there. Suggestions? Anyone else tried a handful of 15's in their Geminis? I'm considering Weber 12F125, 12F150, Eminence Big Ben.....

mad dog
04-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a Big Ben in my Gemini II now. It's no longer stock in several ways, bigger PT, 6L6s, tube rectifier, some nice pre-amp tubes. So there's more volume than stock. With the Big Ben, significantly louder. Excellent bass. It's a fine speaker. I tried a weber cali ceramic in there. Another favorite, but no go. Bet the Emi Legend 151 would be just as good, with somewhat different tonal characteristics.

El Jefe
04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I do want to get some speaker drive when things are cranking, so the Cali's not an option. I wouldn't mind some more volume, but the increase I'll get with any brand new speaker over the 45 year old alnico should be enough.

Anyone tried a weber 15F150-0? It would be all raunch and crunch, which might be wayyyy cool and a totally different feel than the 2x10F150's in my vibrolux. I'm curious how a blue dog would sound in there too.

Whoa....that big ben is rated at 225w rms. Seems like massive overkill in a 30w amp. It really sounds good?

slider313
04-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Ampegs always sound good with Celestion speakers. The Blue Dog 15 would sound great as would an old Celestion 15, if you can find one.

pitbull45
04-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Weber Chicago 15" might be a good choice. From what I understand they are warm sounding and take overdrive pretty well

mad dog
04-11-2009, 07:38 AM
El Jefe:

The weber cali paperdome didn't lack for drive in the Gem II. It lacked clarity. Love that speaker, but it wasn't right for the amp. Also tried a weber 15F150. Not the O cone. Another speaker I like a lot. For whatever reason, it seemed kind of lifeless in the Gem II. FYI: I also really liked the stock square magnet CTS ceramic that came stock in mine. That would have stayed in the amp, had the Big Ben not come along.

teleache
04-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Seems most are "Big retailer biased against" and never speak of Italy made new jensens or celestion and fane speakers, There seems to be a snob appeal to Weber speakers, and the new line of eminence speakers. I've tried quite a few weber's and they are always 1 to 2 db lower than real celestions and real jensens. I was never a fan of tall voice coils with tall spiders to reach the cone like eminence uses. "try this eminence" "try this weber" ect...they state. Go out and get the real deal big three ! Celestion, Fane, jensen stuff. C15n jensen will work just fine. I recone speakers, I get weber parts, cone's Vc's. Their ok for some stuff, But wish i could get my hands on the real cones of jensen, celestion, fane ! That's the high end big buck paper pulp cone that are lightweight and made right. I wish eminence would design a 12 with a lightweight voice coils and cones that are made by the the big companys, I don't buy their db ratings. Different companys have different ways of measuring db ratings and i have yet to hear a weber or any eminence keep up with the Celestions, Jensens, fanes.... That's "my" biased point of view.

mad dog
04-11-2009, 09:38 AM
In my "biased" pov re: Jensens, the new ones may or may not be the "real thing" compared with original models. The newer C12Ns, for example, sound excellent. I cannot say the same for the 10" 12" RI alnicos I've heard from Jensen.

Preference does not automatically equal bias. (And we're talking Ampeg Gemini II amps here ... not the typical fare of tone snobs.) My usual preference for Weber and Emmi speakers reflects personal listening experience. What is "real" is what works best for you IMO, not brand loyalty per se.

teleache
04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree Mad dog, Yes the new p10 and p12r's uses too tall voice coil and too much glue adding to the weight to move the cone. I've reconed two RI 12R's using the the eminence lightwieght 12R cone and use less glue and must shorter lighter VC with correct fifty's style felt dust cap. These sound so much better the the org. The jensen Mod's suck ! guess "mod" means more watts getting less db. These new p12r ri i did sound really good ! 75 hertz to 6k ! sweep range !

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu298/teleache/33410002h.jpg

ganttmann
04-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I had a Gemini II when I was a teenager and I loved it! I had an Altec 15 in that one. I'd slap a JBL D130 in a Gemini II if I had one now, but only because I happen to have one (a D130, that is). I'm sure there are many opinions as to who makes the best D130 clone these days. I'm not sure.

Gantt

I just got a Gemini II and it has the original 15" jensen concert alnico. Sounds great, but the speaker is pretty splatty/buzzy on the low notes and I like to play loud, crude, and with lots of drive and fuzz. I'd rather put the original on a shelf than blow it up with all that abuse.

So, I need a new 15" to go in there. Suggestions? Anyone else tried a handful of 15's in their Geminis? I'm considering Weber 12F125, 12F150, Eminence Big Ben.....

El Jefe
04-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Weber's are always my first choice just because I've been using them since 2001 in all my other amps and always loved the sound. I'm not biased though, and am totally open to other suggestions.

Whoa....a brand new C-15N Jensen is actually more expensive than comparable webers!

Keep the opinions and suggestions coming! I want this amp to be my swamp/garage/caveman blues rootsy sounding amp. I have a vibrolux for when I want pretty cleans and a V2 Ampeg when I want to rattle skulls.

jcs
04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
well, i have a 67 gemini II and i must say my fav speaker with it is an original 1957 jensen P12N ot of my old alamo bass paragon cab.

i cant risk blowing the vintage p15n so i have experimented with other 15s;

EV15L (big,clean and bold sounding but sort of stiff overall)

fender utah 15s from the 70s (not bad at all with pretty quick breakup)

early 70s eminence alnico straight cone 15 aluminum voice coil (nice compression not as efficient as others and a bit dark)

eminence 151 (not broken in yet,but pretty good overall,big bottom fairly bright)

1966 jensen C15LL (bass cone, a bit too dark)

i would look for a real C12N or C15Q but i am surprised how good the 70s utah fender speaker sounds with this amp.

i would love to try an original EV-SRO 15 or a JBL next.

Calloway
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I've got a 30 watt Bumbox Cielo w/ a Big Ben and it sounds huge. I love this speaker. I tried a Weber Thames and hated it, as well as some old CTS speakers and neither one compared to the Big Ben. It might not break up much, but you'll have a lot of definition and a whole lot of thump!