PDA

View Full Version : I never noticed this Buddy Holly Story blooper.

Donovan
04-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Well,I guess I didn't even know what this guitar was 30 years ago when I saw this movie but I just saw this photo today of Gary Bussey as Buddy Holly in The Buddy Holly Story and by the outfit he is wearing I believe this is the scene at the roller rink at the beginning of the movie where he starts off with a slow country song and then breaks into Rock Around With Ollie Vee. That scene was supposed to take place around 1955(?) but his guitar in the photo looks like a 1959(second version) Duo-Sonic.

http://darious.net/image/obj219geo171pg5p8.jpg

benjammin420
04-20-2009, 01:08 AM
all the guitars in that movie are historically incorrect. not once is he shown playing a sunburst, maple neck, pre-cbs strat

Donovan
04-20-2009, 02:21 AM
all the guitars in that movie are historically incorrect. not once is he shown playing a sunburst, maple neck, pre-cbs strat

Wow,really?I gotta watch that movie again.I just found this picture.You are right,looks like a 70's strat.

http://www.impawards.com/1978/posters/buddy_holly_story.jpg

Picaflor
04-20-2009, 02:33 AM
There are a few other issues with the guitars used in the movie here...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077280/goofs

Gas-man
04-20-2009, 05:14 AM
There are a few other issues with the guitars used in the movie here...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077280/goofs

That site says the guitar in question was a Bronco:

Anachronisms: At the roller rink, Buddy plays a Fender "Bronco" guitar. The Bronco was not manufactured by Fender until the early 1970s.

blueshawk1
04-20-2009, 05:46 AM
It's a movie. The first mistake is to expect historical accuracy in a movie.

openbar
04-20-2009, 07:16 AM
That's why there's The Real Buddy Holly Story.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Buddy-Holly-Story/dp/B0002VGTBQ

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Back to the Future's old school scenes were set in 1955. Can you spot the error here. :D

http://www.martinwildig.com/pictures/martymcfly_1.jpg

Guess he brought his guitar with him in the DeLorean!

benjammin420
04-20-2009, 07:35 AM
still a great scene "Its your cousin, Marvin, Marvin Berry, you know that new sound you're looking for?"

Smakutus
04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I would think the Marty McFly thing was to use a guitar that looked like one most people have seen Chuck Berry using rather than making guitar geeks happy.

Jeff

Telecaster62
04-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Maybe those are Seth Lover's pre-release early spec test bed humbuckers. Marty's just trying them out.

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
still a great scene "Its your cousin, Marvin, Marvin Berry, you know that new sound you're looking for?"

It's an AWESOME scene. As a little kid, it fueled my 355 (Not 335! gotta have blocks, varitone and Bigsby!) GAS years before I even played guitar.

benjammin420
04-20-2009, 07:43 AM
no doubt, im sure i play guitar now because of seeing that seen as a kid (especially when he starts to shred and knocks over the amp)

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 07:48 AM
no doubt, im sure i play guitar now because of seeing that seen as a kid (especially when he starts to shred and knocks over the amp)

Definitely. That was instrumental in making me want to play.

Polynitro
04-20-2009, 07:56 AM

still, a movie about one of the pioneers of rock who was famous for playing Strats that he made famous for playing, yet they have him playing a Tele most of the movie?

jtm622
04-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Yep... and all of Busey's Strats in that movie had "Big" headstocks...

P.S. - Maybe Busey shouldv'e known about those guitars being historically incorrect, as previous to his acting career, Busey played in a rock band called "Carp" (IIRC)... (they just released one album and then <poof>.) :)

benjammin420
04-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Enough time has passed, they just need make a new, worthy version. Real instruments, real stories, real songs (anyone notice some of the lyrics arent accurate?) and a better singer than gary busey

Drew816
04-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I thought I remembered seeing a CBS era axe at some point in the movie too, BIG logo and headstock but it's been a while...

Kind of funny actually, as the cost to put the RIGHT era guitars in this movie would have been nothing in that time frame; I guess in the true vision of the ART that was being made, much like any Ed Wood movies, the story will outweigh the bad props and dialogue... NOT! :messedup :crazyguy

Maybe they should make a Gary Busey Buddy Holly meets Plan 9 from Outer Space combo movie? :barf:bong :NUTS

c_mac
04-20-2009, 08:25 AM
The weirdest thing about that movie was having him play a Telecaster as his main instrument.

Polynitro
04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
that would be funny if they remade the movie yet it still starred Garey Busey of today.

BTW I thought it was a decent movie, he did a good job. I like GB. I thought the Great Balls of Fire Movie was worse.

Bankston
04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
They should remake it and cast Rivers Cuomo (Whoa-oh, I look just like Buddy Holly!) as Buddy and Shooter Jennings as Waylon (since he's already played his dad in Walk the Line).

Bankston
04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
only problem is, neither of those two can act :D

When has that ever stopped anyone from being cast in a movie?

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
only problem is, neither of those two can act :D

Well, Rivers doesn't care what they say about him anyway. He don't care about that!

Donovan
04-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought I remembered seeing a CBS era axe at some point in the movie too, BIG logo and headstock but it's been a while...

Kind of funny actually, as the cost to put the RIGHT era guitars in this movie would have been nothing in that time frame; I guess in the true vision of the ART that was being made, much like any Ed Wood movies, the story will outweigh the bad props and dialogue... NOT! :messedup :crazyguy

Maybe they should make a Gary Busey Buddy Holly meets Plan 9 from Outer Space combo movie? :barf:bong :NUTS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/Celebs/buddy_holly_story.jpg

Hey wait a minute...that's not Buddy Holly...it's...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/Celebs/obj219geo171pg5p8.jpg

it's....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/Celebs/51W12F4DFRL_SL500.jpg

Funkwire
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
That site says the guitar in question was a Bronco:

Anachronisms: At the roller rink, Buddy plays a Fender "Bronco" guitar. The Bronco was not manufactured by Fender until the early 1970s.

Yep, that's a Bronco. Gary Busey also plays a Tele in the film (Buddy never owned a Tele), and in the final concert scene, he's playing a rosewood fingerboard Strat with the big 70s headstock.

I was 14 when that film came out, not nearly as knowledgeable about gear as I am today...and even then I knew they really blew it with some of the guitars. Well, it WAS a low-budget film. I'm sure Fender supplied the instruments and they wanted to publicize models currently available.

Funkwire
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
There's a great story about Gary Busey visiting Buddy's parents. Buddy's mom took Busey to Buddy's room, where they kept his guitars. Busey picked one up and started playing and singing one of Buddy's songs. He suddenly realized that he had his hair cut and dyed for the film, and it might be an emotional experience for Buddy's mom to see somebody resembling Buddy playing his guitar.

He finished playing...all Buddy's mom said was, "I think your e-string's a little flat, dear."

:)

sahhas
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
there were numerous stories in the mid 80's about the buddy holly story and the inaccuracies of the guitars used-the main fact is that it was a pretty low budget movie, there was no guitar technical adviser for the movie, so they pretty much had to use what they could get their hands on to make the movie.
at the time there were not a lot of rental co's available, like there are today.

the other pt that was made was that a few yrs later in the 80's, fender started to make closer reproductions of the "vintage 50's guitars etc" that would have looked more period correct, and probably would have fooled most people, they didn't make them in the 70's...

i think if you compare it to "la bamba" the richie valens story that came out in '86 (or was it '87?)-they were able to use such guitars and give the movie it's correct look, guitar-wise...

s---

avincent52`
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
As I recall, the guitars in Walk the Line were pretty accurate, with Luther playing a couple of period Esquires and then (I think) a later Jazzmaster.
T. Bone Burnett was the consultant on the movie so he at least has a vague idea of what Cash and Perkins played and when.

best
allen

Polynitro
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
As I recall, the guitars in Walk the Line were pretty accurate, with Luther playing a period tele and then (I think) a later Jazzmaster.
T. Bone Burnett was the consultant on the movie so he at least has a vague idea of what Cash and Perkins played and when.

best
allen

+1...In the beginning when JC walks into the music store there is a Blackguard Tele hanging...IIRC LP is seen playing a Blackguard Tele, a Black Esquire, a Blue Esquire, a White Esquire and a White Jazzmaster.

EL 34 X2
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I thought the Back To The Future 1955 details were all pretty accurate. The sock hop scene really bummed me out with the '58 era guitar. I get into details.

Red59Dot
04-20-2009, 05:27 PM
That's a '63 345 MJ Fox is playing in that scene. It was for sale not too long ago-well a few years at least-at Normans Rare Guitars. The amp that he knocks over is Gibson tweed GA80-I think-I haven't watched the movie lately but I read it somewhere. There is no reason why a film should NOT be historically accurate. I'm in the film business and IMHO, when you are trying to re-create an era, there is no detail too small. How would you feel if Bonnie and Clyde were driving a Camaro? Same goes for guitars.

ReddRanger
04-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but they tried to get the period instruments right in "That Thing You Do"...and that was fiction....

Smakutus
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but they tried to get the period instruments right in "That Thing You Do"...and that was fiction....

They did a great job with the guitars and drums in that movie. I liked how the guitars and drums all got better as they went along.

Jeff

devilrob1979
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Guess he brought his guitar with him in the DeLorean!

Another thing to take note of on Marty McFly's ES besides the fact that the model of guitar and pickups had a few years before release is that the thing didn't have a bridge on it. All it had was the tailpiece and the studs for the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYBGx8uKQLA

klatuu
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Another thing to take note of on Marty McFly's ES besides the fact that the model of guitar and pickups had a few years before release is that the thing didn't have a bridge on it. All it had was the tailpiece and the studs for the bridge.

Well I'll be damned........

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Well, that's the time paradox making things vanish!

eurotrashed
04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
They should remake it and cast Rivers Cuomo (Whoa-oh, I look just like Buddy Holly!) as Buddy and Shooter Jennings as Waylon (since he's already played his dad in Walk the Line).

Who is a bigger nut Rivers or Gary Busey? Generally Rivers could beat out anyone, but not Gary Busey.

My theory is they used big headstock Fenders so Busey's mouth wouldn't look so big by comparison.

eurotrashed
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM

I'm not too familiar with the 355 but by the looks of it, his hand is covering the bridge. The studs are from the stop-tail that once was before the Bigsby was added.

stevieboy
04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
That's a '63 345 MJ Fox is playing in that scene. It was for sale not too long ago-well a few years at least-at Normans Rare Guitars. The amp that he knocks over is Gibson tweed GA80-I think-I haven't watched the movie lately but I read it somewhere. There is no reason why a film should NOT be historically accurate. I'm in the film business and IMHO, when you are trying to re-create an era, there is no detail too small. How would you feel if Bonnie and Clyde were driving a Camaro? Same goes for guitars.

Worrying about historical accuracy in a movie about going back in time in a souped up DeLorean and meeting your parents before they were married? I dunno...

I certainly see it as an issue in The Buddy Holly Story though.

cmatthes
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRanger http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=5956140#post5956140)

They did a great job with the guitars and drums in that movie. I liked how the guitars and drums all got better as they went along.

Jeff

Totally agree - I noticed that at the time as well. Fender had an article in their "Frontline" mag when that movie came out, and the Continuity guys at the Studio actually brought Fender in to consult on historical accuracy of the instruments. They also commented how there would realistically be certain "Sears Catalog" type guitars/amps (Silvertones) as well as a LP Junior and a Rick 12 string.

I thought it was cool that they took pains to get it right.

CharAznable
04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Worrying about historical accuracy in a movie about going back in time in a souped up DeLorean and meeting your parents before they were married? I dunno...

I certainly see it as an issue in The Buddy Holly Story though.

I think getting the details right makes it easier to suspend disbelief for the totally unplausible parts.

devilrob1979
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not too familiar with the 355 but by the looks of it, his hand is covering the bridge. The studs are from the stop-tail that once was before the Bigsby was added.

Nope. All that's there is the tailpiece. There is no bridge. Bigsbys are a tailpiece not a bridge.

Cody
04-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Nope. All that's there is the tailpiece. There is no bridge. Bigsbys are a tailpiece not a bridge.
Yes, it quite clearly has a bridge. The only thing removed is the stop tail, which is not needed since the strings go on to the Bigsby.

What you're seeing is the studs for the stop tail, like eurotrashed says. If you look much closer to the bridge pickup, you'll see the ABR-1 bridge.

eurotrashed
04-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, you can definitely see the bridge later in the scene

Alvis
04-21-2009, 07:23 AM
I noticed Buddy Holly bloopers 30 years ago ,when I was 16.
I hadn't been into the guitar culture that long but I caught that stuff
I did a period film a couple years ago .I brought my own period correct guitars in on the project
Now there's a show biz angle for sure, Guitar Consultant .....

openbar
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Here's another aggravating anachronism from the short-lived Elvis tv mini-series. The show takes place in the mid-50's, yet the Scotty Moore character is playing a 70's ES-335. Maybe he borrowed the Delorean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4NpZ-QTuM

outtahear
04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Totally agree - I noticed that at the time as well. Fender had an article in their "Frontline" mag when that movie came out, and the Continuity guys at the Studio actually brought Fender in to consult on historical accuracy of the instruments. They also commented how there would realistically be certain "Sears Catalog" type guitars/amps (Silvertones) as well as a LP Junior and a Rick 12 string.

I thought it was cool that they took pains to get it right.

I thought it was odd they didn't just call Norm Harris- (Normans Rare Guitars)
Could have had everything discussed, and era correct gear driven over from Reseda in a half hour. He's done it for a few studio projects.

outtahear
04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Enough time has passed, they just need make a new, worthy version. Real instruments, real stories, real songs (anyone notice some of the lyrics arent accurate?) and a better singer than gary busey

Thought he did OK.....
(So did the Academy-Gary got an Oscar for that role.:BEER)

benjammin420
04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Thought he did OK.....
(So did the Academy-Gary got an Oscar for that role.:BEER)
when he wins a grammy, we'll talk :p

Drew816
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
There's a great story about Gary Busey visiting Buddy's parents. Buddy's mom took Busey to Buddy's room, where they kept his guitars. Busey picked one up and started playing and singing one of Buddy's songs. He suddenly realized that he had his hair cut and dyed for the film, and it might be an emotional experience for Buddy's mom to see somebody resembling Buddy playing his guitar.

He finished playing...all Buddy's mom said was, "I think your e-string's a little flat, dear."

:)

Now that's some funny stuff; true or not, it should be...

So Buddy was still living at home with his mom, is that what I'm hearing here? :hide:crazyguy

And yes, I'm just kidding and I love the guy and his work; Buddy that is, not Gary Bussey. :horse :dude

Drew816
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077280/awards

I had NO idea he won an Oscar for this performance, wow, not too much must have been happening in 1978 movie wise... :)

With all due respect, that's an accomplishment for sure. Time to go back and re-watch the movie it appears.

Happy Playing!

gag halfrunt
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077280/awards

I had NO idea he won an Oscar for this performance, wow, not too much must have been happening in 1978 movie wise... :)

With all due respect, that's an accomplishment for sure. Time to go back and re-watch the movie it appears.

Happy Playing!

Busey was nominated, but did not win. Jon Voight won that year for Coming Home.

outtahear
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Busey was nominated, but did not win. Jon Voight won that year for Coming Home.

Bastard! :BEER Your right!
(And yet, he didn't get one for D.C. Cab!)

gag halfrunt
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Bastard! :BEER Your right!
(And yet, he didn't get one for D.C. Cab!)

There's no justice in the world. :D

stevieboy
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought it was odd they didn't just call Norm Harris- (Normans Rare Guitars)
Could have had everything discussed, and era correct gear driven over from Reseda in a half hour. He's done it for a few studio projects.

Actually, Norm wrote about it in his book of photos of his collection. (Cool book btw.) He said they asked for period correct guitars, and he sent one or maybe a couple over. They sent them back, the art director wanted a red guitar with a whammy bar! The 345 was the closest thing he had in terms of time that fit the visual part of the request.

Funkwire
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Now that's some funny stuff; true or not, it should be...

So Buddy was still living at home with his mom, is that what I'm hearing here? :hide:crazyguy

And yes, I'm just kidding and I love the guy and his work; Buddy that is, not Gary Bussey. :horse :dude

No, Buddy and Maria Elena were living in New York at the time of his death. You've got to remember, Buddy's first hit ('That'll Be the Day') was released in May, 1957...a year and a half later, he was dead. His parents probably never changed his room.

devilrob1979
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Dammit, I saw Marty's bridge at 1:40 in the video. Don't I feel sheepish.