PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever compare the G12H 30 speakers?

RNRBabyHead
04-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I am wondering if anyone has actually compared the regular Celestion G12H 30 to the G12H 30 Heritage?
I am looking for speakers to go along with a modded Marshall JVM head. V30's are completely out of the question. I simply hate them with every amp I have every tried them with. Mud and Icepicks don't sit well with my ears.
What I want to know is how much of a difference is there between the two speakers? Is it worth the extra money to get the heritage?
I am mainly looking for a speaker that will retain very tight bottom end on clean and very high gain setting, and everything in between.
I have tried the JVM with EVM 12L's, GB's, V30's, P50E's and a few Eminence.
The JVM I am getting has the bright cap mod and choke mod. The speakers will be going into a 13 ply baltic birch, dovetailed Marshall style cab.
Any help would be greatly appreciated about these speakers.
RRBH

4styx
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
The G12H-30 Anniversary is pretty icepicky IMO.The only ones I like are the 55Hz ones,Heritage.A G12-65 would be a good choice as well.

RNRBabyHead
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
The G12H-30 Anniversary is pretty icepicky IMO.The only ones I like are the 55Hz ones,Heritage.A G12-65 would be a good choice as well.
I have played the 12H's that were beat up and they sounded good, but I just want to be sure. I can't stand a lot of speakers LOL
I would love to find some 65's, but they seem to be very hard to come by.

madstrat
04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
avatar hellatone 30s ended my search

RNRBabyHead
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
avatar hellatone 30s ended my search
With a JVM?

gulliver
04-21-2009, 02:46 PM
If you think a V30 is ice picky, you'll probably think the G12H30 is ice picky. I think G12H30s are great rhythm speakers, but they tend to be a little peaky for lead work ... where the greenback RI will be thicker for lead work IMHO. I would like to try a 55HZ "H".

RNRBabyHead
04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, I would up just finding a quad of G12-65's for $300 shipped.
I'm going to give them a shot and see.

But back to my original question.
Comparing the G12H30 to the Heritage. What warrants the extra $100+ per speaker, or is it all smoke and mirrors like most boutique BS????
RRBH

jbro
04-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I've had several cabs loaded with both.. to my ears the Anni. model is way harsh out of the box, and takes a LOT of break-in to mellow out. Even when settled in, it's more mid-focused and harsh in the highs than the Heritage version. The Heritage has a wider frequency response, and also takes a good bit of breaking in to mellow out the high end, but once it's relaxed a bit it sounds much more "neutral" to my ears, with less mid emphasis. I have 2 of each that I plan on keeping, both of which have been through countless gigs and rehearsals with me, so they're nice and broken in. I still prefer the Heritage versions for most applications, but the Anni's are nice speakers too.

It's not all "smoke and mirrors", they are different sounding speakers, but it's all a matter of preference - your ears may prefer the Anni models!

doctord02
04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Personally, I'm fine with the Anniversary H30's. If money is no object I'd rather have Scumback H55's, but as a general rule, the Anni's are fine, just play 'em at volume and dont baby them.

I hear/find no ice pick or harshness in the Anniversary G12H30 anywhere remotely like the V30 has, so apparently we all hear things differently.

4styx
04-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Depends on the amp.The Anniverary G12H-30 would be the way to go with a dark/warm amp.

JohnK24
04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Anyone ever try a G12H 30 in a Hot Rod Deluxe ? I know they are rated at 30 watts, but Louis Electric uses them in his 40 watt amps.

AnthonyL
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Try the Warehouse version of the G12-65. Great speaker at a great price and they're readily available.

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=ET65

mixlrose
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
An attempt to revive this thread:

What tonal differences can I expect in moving from a 16ohm G12H 70th Anniversary to a 16ohm G12H Heritage Greenback in a 5W single ended Class A hand wired 1x12 open back combo with 1 12AX7, 1 KT66 and a 5AR4 rectifier (all nos US/ENG)?

I like the sound of its 70th Anniversary G12H except for a top end that sounds a little too modern for my taste. I am going for more of an early Led Zep type of sound.. bluesier I guess. That said, I have only played the Anniversary for about 5 hours total so far. I like the mids and lows of the Anniversary G12H though... I wouldn't want to lose too much of that by switching to the Greenback. Can I expect the Anniversary to "break-in" and sound closer to what I am looking for or should I make the jump to Green?

I've been searching the forums for opinions, but it seems like a lot of folks confuse the two speakers, calling them both "G12H30." )Even HC has both speakers reviewed in the same category) It's tricky to get a good straight opinion on the differences.

meterman
07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I've got Anniversary G12H-30s, and one Heritage H. The Heritage H is darker & smoother, more low end, less high end detail. Just picked up an H75 Scumback that IMHO is way better sounding than either of the Celestions....

remocity
07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Buy the already broken in G12H30 from Matchless.

Awesome sounding speaker.

gulliver
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
That said, I have only played the Anniversary for about 5 hours total so far.

Spend a lot more time with it ... some people believe the speaker will change greatly with break-in, but I believe it is your ears and fingers that get most of the break-in. Plus, you need to take time to dial in your amp for the best tone.

G12H30s are not at all modern sounding IMHO.

Russ T Axe
07-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I use a jcm 2000 and 60 watt eminence sound real nice in my cab.

JimmyB
07-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I've got Anniversary G12H-30s, and one Heritage H. The Heritage H is darker & smoother, more low end, less high end detail. Just picked up an H75 Scumback that IMHO is way better sounding than either of the Celestions....
How does the H75 compare to the Anniversary (and the Heritage) in terms of highs, mids, lows?

Head+Cab
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
How does the H75 compare to the Anniversary (and the Heritage) in terms of highs, mids, lows?

The "75" in the speaker name (H75) refers to a 75Hz resonance frequency, which is more equivalent to the Anniversary. The Heritage has a resonance frequency of 55Hz and is more equivalent to the Scumback H55. Note that I am not saying the Celestions and Scumbacks sound the same, but that both 55Hz speakers cut the highs more than do their 75Hz counterparts.

dehughes
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM

The H75 is better in every way, IMHO, than the Anniversary H save for the Anniversary has a bit more overall presence/clarity which works well for clean tones but may be perceived as harsh in the wrong setup.

The Heritage H is a different animal from either the H75 or the Anniversary H, as it has much deeper lows, darker highs, and a midrange dip in a different frequency range.

As far as the most "balanced" speaker, the H75 is it, though I find the Anniversary H is preferable in clean and/or mellow setups. The Heritage H is great as well, even superior for certain Marshall-ish tones, but not as versatile, IMHO again....