PDA

View Full Version : Strobostomp 2: Dim or Dead Screen Fix / Repair INSTRUCTIONS!!!

jamison162
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before but here goes...

If you've had an issue with your SS2 display going dim or totally dead even when using a 9v power supply, here's the fix straight from Peterson.

http://www.strobostomp.com/images/content/CRW_2256.jpg (http://www.strobostomp.com/images/bank/CRW_2256.jpg)

Email response:

"
Hi Eric,
. When we built your unit in Jan 2007 it was part of a small production run that we found to have a faulty capacitor. We did not know there was a faulty batch from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, it did not show up right away during our testing process. The capacitor only failed after some use. As soon as we realized we had a problem we investigated, found the source and corrected it.

I think I have an easy fix for you if you would like to try it. I have attached instructions If not, that's fine, please ship it back to us

Peterson EMP
Attn:Repairs
11601 S. Mayfield Av
Alsip, IL. 60803

Once we receive the tuner we can usually ship it back out within a few days.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you
Sue"

FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/jamison162/ss20002.jpg

1) Disassemble tuner by removing 2 Phillips-head base plate screws plus 2 black pan-head XLR ("Active DI") jack screws and 2 sets of nuts/washers from IN and OUT jacks at back of the unit.

2) After sliding base plate off from 2 slots at the back of the unit, set battery holder aside and CAREFULLY pull loosened I/O circuit board back from enclosure and gently flip over to expose it's underside (component side).

3) Locate capacitor labeled "C9" (behind large XLR jack, as shown in the photo.

4) With thin side-cutter tool ("wire-cutters"), cut away metal leads at each end of the C9 capacitor to free it from the board (see photo)

5) Remove and dispose of ENTIRE capacitor and/or any fragments that may have been produced during this process--be careful to leave NO stray material on the board or inside the tuner enclosure!

6) GENTLY flip I/O board back over and slide jacks back into the enclosure openings.

7) CHECK that BOTH slip-on wire connectors (8-conductor and 5-conductor) are FULLY inserted into I/O board receptacles!

8) Start--but do not fully tighten--the 2 black pan-head screws around the large XLR ("Active DI") jack area.

9) Return washers/nuts to the IN and OUT jacks and tighten with a nut driver tool.

10) Fully tighten the 2 black pan-head screws around the XLR jack.

11) Partially re-attach battery holder by inserting appropriate pivot pin into retaining hole in the enclosure (nearer the front of the unit)

12) Partially reattach base plate by sliding tabs into enclosure slots and lining up base plate screw holes over enclosure screw bosses.

13) BEFORE starting base plate screws, adjust battery holder so that its second pivot pin is properly seated into the base plate hole made for this purpose. (Once properly seated, the battery holder should swing freely and easily but remain secured at the two pivot points (i.e., at the base plate and enclosure holes).

14) Re-attach and tighten base plate screws.

rastaman
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
WOW! That fixed it!! Thanks!!

I wonder what it was for? Also, did it short or open up??? I guess who cares..

jamison162
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Yep, not sure...but it fixes the issue for sure.

fast1
06-29-2009, 10:18 AM
wow, thanks for the info!http://photosnag.com/img/3322/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

rastaman
06-29-2009, 10:31 AM
I asked the Lady at the Help desk that responded to me and she said it was a filter capacitor.

rastaman
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
From Sue @ Peterson.

"The cap was an extra filter for the circuit, so that's why it isn't necessary for operation. When we built the unit in question, which was part of a small production run, we did not know there was a faulty batch of capacitors from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, it did not show up right away during our testing process. The capacitor only failed after some use. As soon as we realized we had a problem we investigated, found the source and corrected it. We have taken this matter up with company which produced the capacitors."

Bricks
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for posting this!!! Thought my pedal was borked for good. A google search on a whim landed me here, awesomely, and now it seems my tuner works again!

zephaniah zion
08-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Bumping this so I can stay attached to this thread. I use the SS2 for my acoustic. thanks:D

Wasa'
02-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Does anyone know if the great fix described above will work on the original Peterson SS1? I too have the gray screen of death. Thank ya'll in advance.

strangec
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Kudos to this- it fixed mine. Love TGP!

julius
04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
fixed mine too.

though in the end, i decided that a tuner i had to cut a capacitor out of to get working again became hard to trust. made the switch to turbo tuners & never looked back!

that said, i did dig my peterson before mine and my bandmates strobostomps both developed this problem.

dmagalhaes
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know if the great fix described above will work on the original Peterson SS1? I too have the gray screen of death. Thank ya'll in advance.

Send Peterson an email. There Customer Service is second to none.

SkydogFan81
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I fixed mine a year or so ago, but now its doing it again! Anybody else?

blackba
06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I fixed mine a year or so ago, but now its doing it again! Anybody else?

Mine has been fine since I fixed it, its been a couple of years for me.

About a year ago I removed the 1 meg antipop resistor from my SS2.

I am happy with my SS2, but if I had it to buy again I would buy a Turbo tuner

SkydogFan81
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Just got an email saying they will fix it no charge!

walterw
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
us turbo-tuner snobs may bust on peterson, but they have a great rep for customer service. (and the iphone tuner app is fantastic!)

SkydogFan81
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I was going to get a turbo until they offered to fix my strobo2 for free. Can't beat it.