PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitar tube preamps

robertkoa
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
What are the best guitar tube preamps you've ever heard or played ? I mean tube preamps for guitar to be played into a power amp or into hardware and software speaker cabinet simulators.

Ramblin390
05-31-2009, 07:21 PM
the worst in my opinion are jj's, dull,dark, muddy
I prefer a mix with tungsols

Guitar Josh
05-31-2009, 08:03 PM
This question is so amp specific. For example, if I was playing a Marshall, I'd prefer RFTs. For a Fender, RCAs. Mesa, 9th gen chinese or later.

voojo
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Are we talking preamp tubes, or tube based preamps to be run with a power amp?

gsf
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
His word order makes me think tube based preamps to run w/ a power amp.
the CAE3 is great with FRYETTE power.

Austinrocks
05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
your asking about preamps I presume, my mesa v-twin pedal, it also came in an rack mount, basically a mark preamp stage,

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/V-Twin%20pedal.pdf

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/V-Twin%20Rack%20PreAmp.pdf

though they still make the triaxis preamp, not really as familiar with it.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Triaxis.pdf

and the studio pre which primkurtz added after I posted

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/StudioPre.pdf

Primakurtz
05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
The Mesa Studio Pre is mighty good, at least in clean mode.

Austinrocks
05-31-2009, 08:55 PM
The Mesa Studio Pre is mighty good, at least in clean mode.

thanks I missed that one, added it to my list, mesa stopped making the V-twin a few years ago, really love that pedal, it does have preamp outs though I used to drive fender amps.

KWCabs
05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I've used quite a few myself, and I have to say my personal favorite, and what I currently use, is an Engl e580 midi preamp. It's expensive but it's a serious beast. You can also get a lot of tonal variety out of it just by playing with the tubes. I can get just about any type of tone I want out of it with tweaking. It's not for the light of heart, but is a serious piece. I love flexibility so that's why something like the engl goes a long way, that said, the Soldano X99 is another serious preamp with a different flare. There are lots of 2 and 3 channel preamps that have great tone too, but obviously you're limited to that number which to a degree defeats the purpose of having rack gear. BTW, I run my pres through a VHT 2 90 2 pre-buyout. Not sure exactly what is going on with the brand right now, but I know Freyette is making them under his own name as well.

rsm
05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I had ADA MP-1's and MP-2's. Still have an ADA MP-2. I also have a Marshall JMP-1. If you want Marshall tones --> JMP-1.

All of these have tube stage, MP-1 also has solid state.

None of these are being made any more, but you can readily find them used. If it doesn't have to be tube, I also have / use a Tech 21 PSA 1.1 as my main preamp.

Nergalled
05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Engl 520 modded by John Landgraff. My Bogner Fish was nice, but the Landgraff mod made me sell it. The Kasha was pretty sweet too.

sleepingtiger
05-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Actually the long discontinued Peavey:hide Rockmaster was a very nice unit. I'm not a PV fan, but it was a nice, versatile preamp. They are going up in price, but can still be found pretty reasonably.

Tony

Eagle1
06-01-2009, 04:29 AM
X88R
X99
CAA3+SE/CAE3+
E570
E580
M4
RM4
IE4
Trio
JMP1
MP1/MP2/MP1Classic
Triaxis
Quad
Formula(awesome clean crap OD)
Studio
SP77
Piranha
Some good some great ,always use a tube power stage .

Pickmaster
06-01-2009, 05:06 AM
KOCH pedaltone works great for me.

video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnvflheg9oE

stekks
06-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Van Weelden Gainland!

tga-3
06-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Demeter TGP-3

PeeCee
06-01-2009, 05:41 AM
I've used the following

Recto Recording Preamp
SP77
GT Trio
V Twin

I don't use a rack anymore, but that's probably the order I liked them. My main power amps were 20/20s and GT D75s.

robertkoa
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks and keep them coming, since the Engl 530 is inexpensive I've wondered whether it could be modded by a tech to be much warmer and less brutal as I don't do metal.The tones I need are Fender cleans,and tones in between prettier Marshall type tones and Dumble types.I've talked to Kasha ( and some of my suggestions turned in to "The Brick ".Any of you play or hear the Rockmod 3 in person ? Also the Ceriatone Overtone Special might be good if they made it as a stand alone pre . Anyone hear one of those ? Supposed to go from Dumble to Marshall depending on how high the internal gain trim is set. Anyone heard the Access or Tubeman PLus? Thanks.

Eagle1
06-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks and keep them coming, since the Engl 530 is inexpensive I've wondered whether it could be modded by a tech to be much warmer and less brutal as I don't do metal.The tones I need are Fender cleans,and tones in between prettier Marshall type tones and Dumble types.I've talked to Kasha ( and some of my suggestions turned in to "The Brick ".Any of you play or hear the Rockmod 3 in person ? Also the Ceriatone Overtone Special might be good if they made it as a stand alone pre . Anyone hear one of those ? Supposed to go from Dumble to Marshall depending on how high the internal gain trim is set. Anyone heard the Access or Tubeman PLus? Thanks.
There is no Marshall tone in a OTS no matter what you do with the trim pot.Also The list of tones you want don't come in a single unit ,even the M4.

Red Suede
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I still have my Soldano X88 preamp that I run with the old Marshall 50 watt a side power amp into a straight front Marshall cabinet with old Celestion 55 Hz 30 watt speakers in it. Great tone.

robertkoa
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Eagle 1 - never heard a Ceriatone OTS but 5 or 6 of the reviews on Harm. Central mentioned that in the lower ranges of the trim (internal gain range control) the amp is Dumble-Like and with trim and gain up becomes more Marshall -like and that the clean channel resembles Fender with more depth and more bottom end when needed.The clip online of a real Dumble Overdrive special was just like that ,except no Marshall Tones, though overdriven Plexi sounds like it could be dialed in.Spectacular smooth harmonic response in the tones and clear medium gain.Does the OTS do all that and will they make a preamp only?

eleanor296
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
My current favorite is a Hughes and Kettner Access... really hard to find, 2 tube preamps and 1 solid state clean channel (really nice actually), 1 mono and two parallel loops after the preamp, separate mid and high boosts before the preamp, an external preamp loop that can take advantage of both the EQ and boosts, not to mention a stereo cabinet simulator... all of this in a 2U rack unit.

man that thing is so cool... but I'm thinking about leaving the rack world again... it's a painful decision really.

fyrwyr
06-01-2009, 06:37 PM
My old Kasha Rock Mod 2 was nice, but the Phaez Daisy Cutter preamp I heard is super cool;) He made a custom one for a guy in Russia, it turned out suh-weeeet!

KWCabs
06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes the H&K Access is also a great one, it is tough to find though and not that cheap. I did hear about someone who does mods on the Engls, but don't recall, do a search. One thing though you mention want a Marshall and Dumble sound, tough to get considering the Dumble sound in general is based off the Fender circuit. The Engl e580 can really do a lot and it's because it has it's own character that it can be shaped to resemble more of a Marshall or more of Fender, but it will never quite be one or the other. Confusing to explain. Also, take a look at the VHT GP3 excellent unit and lot of unit for the $.

shooto
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Rockmaster

jspax7
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I've owned the JMP-1 and the Triaxis. Both worked well for me, but I kept the Triaxis. Mor versatile, imo.

Eagle1
06-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Eagle 1 - never heard a Ceriatone OTS but 5 or 6 of the reviews on Harm. Central mentioned that in the lower ranges of the trim (internal gain range control) the amp is Dumble-Like and with trim and gain up becomes more Marshall -like and that the clean channel resembles Fender with more depth and more bottom end when needed.The clip online of a real Dumble Overdrive special was just like that ,except no Marshall Tones, though overdriven Plexi sounds like it could be dialed in.Spectacular smooth harmonic response in the tones and clear medium gain.Does the OTS do all that and will they make a preamp only?
I built one two months ago,It is a great amp but definitely not a shred of Marshall tone, the bass response is completely different.
The trim pot is capable of quit a gain boost but the character stays .

Pickmaster
06-02-2009, 04:07 AM
There is no Marshall tone in a OTS no matter what you do with the trim pot.Also The list of tones you want don't come in a single unit ,even the M4.

There IS !!!
You’ll be surprised how many different colours you can get from tweaked OTS,
Marshall, Dumble, Fender BF and High gain too.

Here are the samples:

Fender clean – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cclean.mp3

Dumble clean – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabnkcl.mp3

Dumble drive, neck pickup – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabnkdr.mp3

Dumble drive, bridge pickup - http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabbrdr.mp3

Marshallesque drive – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cplexi.mp3

High gain – http://www.guitarampcab.com/chign.mp3

And this is all in one amp, footswithcheable !

Eagle1
06-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Nice playing BUT
Nothing very Marshall there, the bass is far too woolly and loose.

swimrunner
06-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Egnater M4...

Pickmaster
06-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Nice playing BUT
Nothing very Marshall there, the bass is far too woolly and loose.

Turn bass pot down a bit ;).
Marshall with KT 66s.

Eagle1
06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Turn bass pot down a bit ;).
Marshall with KT 66s.
Not the amount !
The response is all wrong .:crazyguy

CitizenCain
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone ever try the old Peavey T.G. Raxx?

Nergalled
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
There IS !!!
You’ll be surprised how many different colours you can get from tweaked OTS,
Marshall, Dumble, Fender BF and High gain too.

Here are the samples:

Fender clean – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cclean.mp3

Dumble clean – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabnkcl.mp3

Dumble drive, neck pickup – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabnkdr.mp3

Dumble drive, bridge pickup - http://www.guitarampcab.com/cabbrdr.mp3

Marshallesque drive – http://www.guitarampcab.com/cplexi.mp3

High gain – http://www.guitarampcab.com/chign.mp3

And this is all in one amp, footswithcheable !

The "Marshall" was woofy, no clarity, and undefined.

The High Gain, was well, not High gain. Just bassy mush. Not referring to your playing, or you personally, just that tone was not anything I would want to hear.

robertkoa
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
The clips of the KAsha do pretty convincing Fender cleans and some modded Marshall. H@K preamps like Tubeman do very good Fender and convincing Plexi and higher gain. I assume the H@K access and Tubeman rack do it even better. Any of you guys getting real warm EJ,Andy Timmons type overdrives from your Engls or do they always go to aggresive angry metal tones?

Lex Luthier
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Peavey Tubefex. Clean, crunch, lead and ultra modes, plus a choice of EQ's you can patch in for even more tonal shaping. Bunch of built in effects as well that you can place any order you want. Pretty underrated unit.

Eagle1
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
The clips of the KAsha do pretty convincing Fender cleans and some modded Marshall. H@K preamps like Tubeman do very good Fender and convincing Plexi and higher gain. I assume the H@K access and Tubeman rack do it even better. Any of you guys getting real warm EJ,Andy Timmons type overdrives from your Engls or do they always go to aggresive angry metal tones?
You can get smooth tones out of a 570 but is takes some major tweakage.

Plague Dog
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Not counting the Axe FX I would say the best guitar preamp out right there is the Egnater M4.

fyrwyr
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I forgot about the Egnator, VERY cool piece for sure!

robertkoa
06-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Eagle 1 - on youtube there is a demo of a Dumble ODS 100 with Flaxwood Liekke Custom Guitar by PETER LERCHE, the amp does an amazing array of Fender, Fender Blues with more bottom end and goes into Eric Johnson type Marshall tones (ok maybe not strictly Marshall) and some maybe better than EJ tones with incredible bass and fatness and NO FUZZ or fizz and the master is on 1?!(and without EJs Fingers)! Are Dumble Amps overpriced-Yes. Are they over rated- NO. I'd LOve a preamp that would do that. Do the Ceriatones produce these tones ? This good ?

Eagle1
06-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Eagle 1 - on youtube there is a demo of a Dumble ODS 100 with Flaxwood Liekke Custom Guitar by PETER LERCHE, the amp does an amazing array of Fender, Fender Blues with more bottom end and goes into Eric Johnson type Marshall tones (ok maybe not strictly Marshall) and some maybe better than EJ tones with incredible bass and fatness and NO FUZZ or fizz and the master is on 1?!(and without EJs Fingers)! Are Dumble Amps overpriced-Yes. Are they over rated- NO. I'd LOve a preamp that would do that. Do the Ceriatones produce these tones ? This good ?
I have Played through three 80s ODS Dumbles and I would say the Ceriatone is near as dame it the same tone .

robertkoa
06-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Eagle 1- I heard a guy playing the OTS hrm on youtube from the Ceriatone site and it was very impressive but the other clips, 10 or 12 of them were not in the same league.It was the guy replicating Bonamassa's tone using 2 amps but the Ceriatone had the coolest tones very EJ sounding beautiful smooth but still raw pure tone.Would a preamp of that head give me most of that tone or is it dependent on the output section being cranked? I don't want the hi volume-just the tone which is why I'm thinking preamp.Thanks

Eagle1
06-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Eagle 1- I heard a guy playing the OTS hrm on youtube from the Ceriatone site and it was very impressive but the other clips, 10 or 12 of them were not in the same league.It was the guy replicating Bonamassa's tone using 2 amps but the Ceriatone had the coolest tones very EJ sounding beautiful smooth but still raw pure tone.Would a preamp of that head give me most of that tone or is it dependent on the output section being cranked? I don't want the hi volume-just the tone which is why I'm thinking preamp.Thanks
The OTS sounds similar quiet ,so i wouldn't worry about that one.
The internal trim pots can be set to make the amp sound pretty bad so careful tweaking is required . This and other D style amps only really do one thing .The loop is crap (master vol sets send WTF) and the tone controls hardly do anything. That said what they do is not available in any other style of amp .The nearest in a preamp is probably the Mesa Formula .

robertkoa
06-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Eagle 1- what if I get Ceriatone to just make a preamp version ? would the smoothness and harmonic richness still be there.Recording-wise I'd run it into a digital cab. simulator(and possibly analog pre filter) ,then still mike the monitors at very low volume and mix on parallel track. I've learned that if you have a really good tube signal the Cab emulators on POD XTs and software(NOT the modelling,just the Cabs) can sound really good. The Kasha Preamp that he makes now MIGHT give me some of that vibe in "crunch" mode but no way to tell for sure till I play one. There's a HUGE difference on the Ceriatone Clips Site between the Justin Driver clips and ALL THE REST of the Dumble types.Why is that?

Eagle1
06-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks Eagle 1- what if I get Ceriatone to just make a preamp version ? would the smoothness and harmonic richness still be there.Recording-wise I'd run it into a digital cab. simulator(and possibly analog pre filter) ,then still mike the monitors at very low volume and mix on parallel track. I've learned that if you have a really good tube signal the Cab emulators on POD XTs and software(NOT the modelling,just the Cabs) can sound really good. The Kasha Preamp that he makes now MIGHT give me some of that vibe in "crunch" mode but no way to tell for sure till I play one. There's a HUGE difference on the Ceriatone Clips Site between the Justin Driver clips and ALL THE REST of the Dumble types.Why is that?
There is still the players fingers to account for.

Jim S
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Soldano X99 has always left me happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/IntenseJim/Jim%20guitar%20bass%20amps/Soldano/soldanovhtrack.jpg

robertkoa
07-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah - what I meant by Marshall / Dumble is a slightly warmed over Marshall sound NOT Exactly these tones but just vaguely (Neil Schon, The Guy in Brian Adams group- sounds Marshall- but "prettier", and some of the EJ type tones which SOUND like a Marshall and Dumble at the same time,Gilmour sound like way warmed over gainier Plexi, but it's probably not ) of course it would be amazing to get a pre to sound like these but just to give you an idea( no buzz or fuzz and warm harmonics) and NO I'm not trying to clone these players and of course Vibrato and even pick attack are important but you get the idea.

spazmonkey
07-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Egnater Mod 4. I owned the ie4 and I liked the Mod 4 a little better, more options.

LensOfMadness
07-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm also going to vote for the ADA MP-1 and the JMP-1. Both are sound pretty fantastic if you've got good examples of them working properly. Any decent preamp will need a good tube poweramp to really shine, though; those emulated speaker out jacks rarely do any justice. Invest in a Mesa 50/50 if you're getting a good preamp.

MGSchindel
07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
C'mon guys, mass-produced midi stuff that sounds solid state? My JMP-1 sounded almost as stale, thin and two-dimensional as my JCM900 4100 head. No dis on the ok sounding JMP-1, and I even own a couple of 9004 solid state marshall preamps, and some fun, crunchy ADA MP-1s, but we're talking about comparing the very best all-tube preamps and tones you've ever heard? YMMV.

Where's the love for Todd Langner's wicked, custom DCP-1 Creator and DCP-1 Elite preamps? Sorry Reinhold, these smoke the Fish, IMHO (Fish being a quite excellent unit I am a fan of), and they own the Egnater. I sold those units promply after I began collecting these. Todd's a magician with gain structure.

I also really like my Soldano X88, SP-77, various Engls....All keepers, all excellent stuff.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/mgschindel/Langner101001.jpg?t=1248666123

Stringrazor
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I have an older Peavey Rock Master that I like. It's very flexible and has great clean/crunch/sautrated sounds.

teemuk
07-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I find it amusing that so many people refer to this a “tube preamp”. JMP-1 is a tube preamp about as much as Valvestate amps are tube amps.

http://a.imagehost.org/0647/Marshall_JMP-1_02.jpg

...But it isn’t anything new under the son that the difference between tube and SS isn’t as evident as people claim it is.

Kief
07-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I think the Mesa Studio is an incredible value at today's prices (350-500 or so). A lot of tone to be found in those things.

Guitar Josh
07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
I've got three in my recording rack:

1) Hafler T3 - Probably my favorite. Can sound HUGE.

2) Peavey Rockmaster - I only keep it around for the cleans, which are fat and thick

3) Butler Real Tube 2 - This thing just gets a great tone. Better for the classic stuff whereas the T3 is more modern.

I get just about everything I want out of these, and all three TOGETHER cost me as much as a single JMP-1.

rsm
07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
The tubes in the JMP-1 (and the ADA preamps) add color to the tone; they are more of a hybrid than pure tube preamps. My Tech 21 PSA 1.1 is all anolog SS, no tubes and it sounds great to me. Sure it has no tubes, but it sounds pretty organic, responds well to picking technique, is dynamic, very small, lightweight and reliable. I use it more than my JMP-1 and MP-2.

Has anyone tried the Voodoo Labs tube preamp? I've read mixed reviews. Three channels, but 2 channels share controls (except volume I think?), so I'd say its a 2 channel. I've wanted to hear one, but haven't found much out there.

There is also the Groove Tubes Trio (real 3 channel tube preamp; 5 12AX7 preamp tubes)

ron.dodson
07-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm so happy with my Kasha stuff. Best sound I've ever had. RMII was great, my RM50 Dual Head is CRAZY. I can do EJ and EVH all day. I'm still dialing in the clean, but there is zero problem with headroom.

Ron

Julia343
07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Randall and Egnater preamp modules.

picassochild
08-04-2009, 02:40 AM
My old Kasha Rock Mod 2 was nice, but the Phaez Daisy Cutter preamp I heard is super cool;) He made a custom one for a guy in Russia, it turned out suh-weeeet!

Hey Bill,

here's this Daisy ;) I like it way more that Demeter TGP-3 I had... and now I'm waiting with impatience for my Egnater M4 and Steavens Brick to test Daisy against them ;)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/balzamez/daisycutterpreamp.jpg

Eagle1
08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
I find it amusing that so many people refer to this a “tube preamp”. JMP-1 is a tube preamp about as much as Valvestate amps are tube amps.

http://a.imagehost.org/0647/Marshall_JMP-1_02.jpg

...But it isn’t anything new under the son that the difference between tube and SS isn’t as evident as people claim it is.

Now take a look inside the pedals that all you single channel point to pointless enthusiasts seem to love and tell me the difference?
Sounds good is good end of discussion.:FM

GrecoVee
08-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I vote for the original Kasha RockMod I & II
Also just bought an ADA MP-1 for $150., I forgot just how good these pre amps sound! `80's Rock!!!:rockin

DarrenTD
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Mesa Triaxis :rockin

robertkoa
08-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Eagle: I heard a guy playing the ENGL E 570 online and it has a very wide spectrum of clean-pushed clean-blues-light crunch-crunch etc.-If it had a vintage/MORE Vintage switch instead of Vintage/ modern- would it beat the CAE3=SE in many ways ? That's a good pre for $1700.- a little( or much) warmer and saggier (for me) and it would be amazing.If things go well I might get one and try 5751s or get it "tweaked". I'd love to have a great tech "ruin" that pre so it was too sweet sounding for metal- Ha .I can hear the clarity and versatility in it and it can be "pure" sounding right?

Nergalled
08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Engl's can be tweaked. I still think the Engl 520 is a GREAT value. Easily tweaked to be warmer or more aggressive.

Eagle1
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Eagle: I heard a guy playing the ENGL E 570 online and it has a very wide spectrum of clean-pushed clean-blues-light crunch-crunch etc.-If it had a vintage/MORE Vintage switch instead of Vintage/ modern- would it beat the CAE3=SE in many ways ? That's a good pre for $1700.- a little( or much) warmer and saggier (for me) and it would be amazing.If things go well I might get one and try 5751s or get it "tweaked". I'd love to have a great tech "ruin" that pre so it was too sweet sounding for metal- Ha .I can hear the clarity and versatility in it and it can be "pure" sounding right?
Better play one first as it feels compressed even when it doesn't sound it.

Jim S
01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
ADA MP-1 and Marshall JMP1 sounded pretty gnarly to my ears.

guitarslinger21
01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
my favs:

Egnater IE4
Bogner Fish
Egnater M4
GT Trio
Sound Clinic Climax
Mesa Quad
ADA MP-1

sweetrock
01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I like ,

-Bogner Fish
-Soldano SP77
-ADA MP1

Hakan

buddaman71
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I've owned quite a few and my all time fave was the Egnater IE4. It's got that warm, smooth Eggie tone. Think lava, not tight, brutal metal tho.

PS: A used Hafler T3 or Triple Giant is a really good preamp option that is more woody sounding than say, a Peavey Rockmaster.

PPS: Rockmasters are pretty hard to beat for 80's rock and even some 90's Pantera-type metal!!

crunchman
01-18-2010, 02:22 PM
GT Trio- Just awesome clean and crunch tones with the "switch"

Coming up on ebay cheaply of late $400.00 - too bad I'm poor at the moment!!

Norjef
01-18-2010, 03:40 PM
I love the "under-the-radar" Hughes and Kettner Tubeman Recording Preamp - the newest silver, 3 channel model. Nice tonal balance between channels, with "voicing" tone control on highest gain lead channel.

High voltage tube, 2 outputs: 1. Built in Red Box cab sim 2. Full range to power amp

skinsscalper
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello all,

New to the board. :wave

Just wanted to chime in on the subject. I'm surprised that the Carvin Quad X hasn't received any love in this thread. Very versatile pre-amp. Channel 1 is very clean even at the highest volumes. The noise gate is phenomenal and channel 4 has a very tight gain section. I also like the intuitive and responsive controls. Very upfront and easy to dial in. They can, however be a PITA to re-tube (12ax7 X 9 :eek:).

psychodave
01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Actually the long discontinued Peavey:hide Rockmaster was a very nice unit. I'm not a PV fan, but it was a nice, versatile preamp. They are going up in price, but can still be found pretty reasonably.

Tony

I agree 100% about the Rockmaster. One of the very cool things about the Rockmaster is that all 3 channels have independant loops...along with a main loop that affects all channels. This way you could have different Eq's for the rhythm and gain channels, yet have one delay for all 3 channels.

Anna_Laurel
01-18-2010, 06:13 PM
If I were to go back to a preamp and power amp rack rig I would grab a Triaxis and appropriate power amp for my applications and start rocking.

lamf
09-06-2010, 08:09 AM
NO love for the Marshall 9001 ?

nullin
09-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I own the Triaxis and JMP-1 and won't be getting rid of either. The JMP-1 doesn't have great low gain tones (compared to an old Marshall head) and might be the reason why some people don't like them as much. It has a more "futuristic" edge to it, if that makes any sense. It works great for me, since I like that tone, Smashing Pumpkins, Deftones, and other punchy hi and medium gain tones. With my VHT 2/50/2, I like the cleans too. If I wanted 100% traditional Marshall, I'd use something else, like my JCM 800. The Triaxis is just freaking versatile and good sounding. Not wonderful in between tones, but great cleans and gains. And of course run together, they rock my socks. Neither one of them sound EXACTLY like a head version of a Marshall or Mesa, but pretty damn close, and the versatility more than makes up for it.

I still own a Soldano SP77, which is okay, just a little to smooth and polite for me. I think I'll actually be getting rid of it as I just really haven't bonded with it. I recently sold my Mesa Formula preamp as well. That preamp had the best cleans I've heard in any preamp. The gains are pretty smooth, not Mark or Recto tones at all. Heartbreaker inspired, I guess. Actually, it's a great preamp for modern country.

I'd like to pick up an Engl sometime for some of those brutal Euro metal tones. But the Triaxis covers a lot of that territory too. The Peavey Rockmaster is a great sounding hi gain preamp for metal or thrash. Never owned the Rockmaster, but played a few. Had a Fish, which was good, but a little too chewy and Van Halen-y for me. Then the Shark channel died so I was spared the decision whether to return it or not.

I was wanting a preamp that really did some excellent low and medium gain tones. I was looking into the Matchless GRP preamp, but seemed like a lot of money used for a semi-limited application. Of course then I found out Bad Cat is making a limited run of a preamp with a 12AX7 channel, EF86 channel and hi gain Lynx channel all in one . . . . so of course I have one on order! Guess we'll found out soon how bad-ass that one is! Can't wait. Hopefully I'll have a new favorite soon.

Garik Alengos
09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I love the "under-the-radar" Hughes and Kettner Tubeman Recording Preamp - the newest silver, 3 channel model. Nice tonal balance between channels, with "voicing" tone control on highest gain lead channel.

High voltage tube, 2 outputs: 1. Built in Red Box cab sim 2. Full range to power amp

Yeah,... but the oldest one sounds much better.
I mean "oldest" that it is the same Tubeman 2, but painted in dark grey and plexi-window without blue backlight - as they were first released in 1999. By 2001 H&K changed the face of their Tubeman and I think at the same time component parts were replaced by lower quality. ;)

I see no one mentioned Engl Tube Toner E430 preamp (now discontinued and hard to find). Great sounding preamp.
Anyone tried it?

Norjef
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote ***I mean "oldest" that it is the same Tubeman 2, but painted in dark grey***

Yep that's my older of the new versions - I meant "Newer" compared to the oldest and smaller, non-footswitchable versions, which were well regarded too.

Garik Alengos
09-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote ***I mean "oldest" that it is the same Tubeman 2, but painted in dark grey***

Yep that's my older of the new versions - I meant "Newer" compared to the oldest and smaller, non-footswitchable versions, which were well regarded too.

:beer

robertkoa
10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Well I now have a used ADA MP1 from EBAY which has the noise mods but no other mods.

I've had a Tubeman the old black one with a JJ803s in it which has nice Fender Cleans and good ( not great ) distortions especially for medium gain.

The ADA Mp1 is very clear and has excellent medium gain very nice amplike "sag" and does NOT sound fuzzy , buzzy like many demos I've heard.

Gets a good Plexi or pushed Plexi tone as well - not EXACT for all you purists , but I can dial in some Cream Tones, Gilmour type tones and some EJ ish vibes from it, when I try to seriously record, I'll see if there are limitations , but it's surprisingly good, especially into Cab Impulses for recording.

The tube cleans are not quite as pristine as the old black Tubeman , and the MP1 has less bottom end but distortions are warmer than Tubeman.

Thanks for your opinions, I haven't tried 803s or other tubes yet, which might give Tube Clean a bit more crispness.

I'm lucky because I don't need a preamp to sound "exactly" like anything ( basic sorta Fender and Marshall is fine)................just warm and clear and good.