PDA

View Full Version : Hermida Cabs - how do they compare? They are so small . . .

rhythmrocker
06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi folks. First, don't get me wrong. Alf does great stuff and I own a Zendrive. I also notice that for the 1x12 cabs from all the greats (Mather, Pure64, Mojo, etc.) that the dimensions are bigger (e.g. 24" wide on some) where as the the Hermida cabs (open back for all) are smaller sized.

So - I have read that the Hermida cabs sound great - those who have tried different 1x12 cabs AND the Hermida 1x12 cab, how do they compare?

I am thinking that bigger cabs sounds "better", but that the Hermida cabs are still good but make up for it in portability (a BIG plus for this baby-boomer).

Has anyone compared the Hermida to other? And your thoughts please, without dissing anyone (this may be a case of comparying apples to oranges, I don't know).

Thanks all!

trap
06-20-2009, 02:04 PM
just a-b'd my hermida ported 112 cab to a two rock 112 yesterday. mine had a cele heritage g1265 in it and the tr had an austin speaker works in it.not apples to apples. given that, the hermida had much more bass woof to it, the tr cab was much brighter and the asw speaker was doing that, imo. for it's size, the 112 ported sounds very big and deep. but turn the bass down ! and it was a lot smaller than the tr cab. it's a good cab!

Nergalled
06-20-2009, 04:56 PM
The 2x12 ported cabs are amazing and I use 2 in stereo for smaller 2-300 people gigs. Anything over 300 I need the 4x12 cabs.

losrufianes7
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
You won't believe how big the ported 1x12 sounds. I have one with a Celestion G1265 and a Hermida 2x10 open back w/Ragin Cajuns (has the same dimensions of the 1x12). Both cabs are so good that I stop using my Diezel 2x12.

pinner
06-21-2009, 05:39 AM
I don't have an explanation for you but I was floored by his open back 2x12 with 12-65's I heard in the bludo/hermida room at the amp show. His ported 1x12 sounds great as well.

bilbal
06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I have a Mystik Cabs 1x12 (similar design) if you are familiar with Brian's builds. It is an absolutely amazing speaker cab. I use it with my SLO and Krinard Prototype and it's better than anything I have tried to date. Of course it doesn't push as much air around as a 4x12 but I have put it side by side with various 2x12s and prefer it, both soundwise and for portability sake. These little cabs pack some serious punch.

Here is my Mystik loaded with an EVM12L:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_2300.jpghttp://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_2297.jpg

GuitarsFromMars
06-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Alf Hermida's zCabs are great. I have one of each of the 1x12's, in my recording area. The are featured prominently on all my current elctric guitar efforts, along with the Zendrive, Distortion, and Dual Boost. I have the cabinents loaded with H series Scumbacks which also contribute greatly to the tone. I prefer the ceramic Scumbacks to the 12-65 Celestion, or any of the higher output speakers.

rhythmrocker
06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
bumpus maximus

aman74
06-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Are you looking for open back? You said "open back for all", but it's not clear what that means.

The ported one is, I believe, a Thiele design and should sound similar to all the other Thiele cabs. I think that is the one people are responding about their experience with.

rhythmrocker
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Are you looking for open back? You said "open back for all", but it's not clear what that means.

The ported one is, I believe, a Thiele design and should sound similar to all the other Thiele cabs. I think that is the one people are responding about their experience with.

Quite right my friend - I meant to communicate: "open back for all sizes"

Yes - how does the smaller Hermida cab compare with other open back cabs (like the dumble oval hole) that are bigger - does it hold its own? Does the smaller Hermida cab make up for any "loss" with its extreme portability?

Thanks!

GuitarsFromMars
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Yes - how does the smaller Hermida cab compare with other open back cabs (like the dumble oval hole) that are bigger - does it hold its own? Does the smaller Hermida cab make up for any "loss" with its extreme portability?

Thanks!

I think so. He also makes different configs 2x12's. In both open back and closed back, which sound great.

aman74
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Thanks!

Ahh, ok.

I don't have any direct experience with the Hermida, but I have a couple general thoughts.

My understanding is that cab dimensions are much less critical with open backs. Think of how good some combos sound.

Closed back cabs that aren't ported seem to be the ones that benefit from being oversized.

Ported cabs would be the most sensitive to exacting dimensions and speaker choice.

So, I would say if you are going open back and you value the small size the Hermida may suit you well. Which, is why you are here posting this for some opinions:) Sorry I couldn't give a direct opinion and I may have mentioned things you already know, but I just thought I'd give my spin on the situation in the hopes that it helps you make a choice.

Macaroni
07-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Anyone know what the wait time is for the 1-12 Hermida cabs?

I eMailed Alf a week ago but haven't heard back from him yet.

Mike
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I have one of these 1x12 cabs and I really like it. It does sound huge for its size. I've tried an EV and an Altec 417c so far (I need 100 watts handling capacity). Anybody have other speaker recommendations for this cab? I see that Scumback has a 100 watter - Scumback M75 LHDC 100 w - anyone tried one of these in a Thiele?

Mike

rhythmrocker
10-10-2009, 10:58 PM
bumpus maximus

les
10-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I played through 2 different 2x12 cabs at the LA AMP Show (one with Celestions and one with Jensens).

Both sounded incredible! Very nice sounding cabinets, both were open back.

Highly recommended.

wichita
10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I played the 2-12 at the recent LA guitar show and it was mind blowing how much bottom end and quality tone came out of that cab.
Beautiful sounds and very very compact.
These days its all about liking what you hear at a volume that the soundman won't want to shoot you at.
It's what the Mic sees that is the most important factor.
I think these cabs are a great solution.
Great tones, small size.. whats not to like?

celestion101
10-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I have one of his 1x12 open backs (oval opening in the back)....it sounds awesome! FWIW I'm using a Gold in it nw, but wanted to keep the post about the merits of the cabs because I have used several drivers with it. My old Altec sounded great through it as well.

tokiswartooth
10-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I have 2 ported 2x12 cabs. Loaded with EV12ML. Tried them with with Hellatone 30 mixed with Hellatone 60 for a more vintage tone. Takes away the lightness factor, but they sound huge, and unbelievably balanced. My favorite 2x12 cab. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

rhythmrocker
10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
bumpo

aeolian
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Cabinets created to Thiel/Small equations work best with the speaker for which they were designed. Changing drivers really knocks the response around. You can get the T/S parameters for any guitar speaker and put them in something like WinISD (freeware box design program) and see how the bottom end will bump or roll off with different cabinet and port sizes. Then change the driver and the response curve will change drastically.

The cabinet pictured earlier looks very much like the Dumble cabinet Larry Carlton uses, which appears to be designed for an EV.

I used to have a Bogner cube which I think was designed for a V30. My favorite speaker (sound, not carrying it) in it was a ceramic SRO. I also found a Sholtz Sugarcone to be pretty close, albiet a bit dryer and flatter sounding, but not as dry and flat as an EVM. I had the occasion to crank this cab a bit once when I had an EVM in it and it sounded huge. But most of the time I ran it at more reasonable volumes and the SRO was sweeter.

Primakurtz
05-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Update: I just tried a pair of Eminence Swamp Thangs in my Hermida 2 X 12" ported cab. Huge, fat, excellent tones. Maybe they are similar to the EV's? It works great for rock. Louder & richer than my Marshall 4 X 12".

mxr2000
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Hermida cabs are fantastics plan to get another 1x12 ported cab

cap'n'crunch
09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=aeolian;6922249]Cabinets created to Thiel/Small equations work best with the speaker for which they were designed. Changing drivers really knocks the response around. You can get the T/S parameters for any guitar speaker and put them in something like WinISD (freeware box design program) and see how the bottom end will bump or roll off with different cabinet and port sizes. Then change the driver and the response curve will change drastically.

QUOTE]

There are no rules in Rock and Roll.

I use a 1.3 cu.ft. TS806 cab with a Vintage30. I've also tried it with a few other speakers as well. Dial it in and it's a huge sound from a traditional closed back 1 x 12. I don't use it to have more bass but rather just a bigger overall tone. In fact I dial my bass knob back quite a bit and its still a bigger tone than closed 1 x 12's. NOTE: I wouldn't recommend this if you are looking for a ton of bass response as I understand it could damage a speaker that is not design for this enclosure.

les
10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Alf's cabinets are incredible sounding!

Highly recommended!

aussiemeats
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Good Day,

Played thru one of Alf's cabs in the Bludo/Hermida room at the LA Amp show yesterday, 10/03/2010...sounded great!

Cheers!

Trebor Renkluaf
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Good Day,

Played thru one of Alf's cabs in the Bludo/Hermida room at the LA Amp show yesterday, 10/03/2010...sounded great!

Cheers!
I heard the new Bludotone single channel through Alphs cab Saturday - what a tone. Of course it helped that the guy playing it new how to play (not me)!

trap
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Alf told me that the 112 ported cab was designed with either an EV or a cele 1265 in mind. Cabinets created to Thiel/Small equations work best with the speaker for which they were designed. Changing drivers really knocks the response around. You can get the T/S parameters for any guitar speaker and put them in something like WinISD (freeware box design program) and see how the bottom end will bump or roll off with different cabinet and port sizes. Then change the driver and the response curve will change drastically.

The cabinet pictured earlier looks very much like the Dumble cabinet Larry Carlton uses, which appears to be designed for an EV.

I used to have a Bogner cube which I think was designed for a V30. My favorite speaker (sound, not carrying it) in it was a ceramic SRO. I also found a Sholtz Sugarcone to be pretty close, albiet a bit dryer and flatter sounding, but not as dry and flat as an EVM. I had the occasion to crank this cab a bit once when I had an EVM in it and it sounded huge. But most of the time I ran it at more reasonable volumes and the SRO was sweeter.

Dave_C
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I have not specifically tried the Hermida 1x12 Thiele, but I do have the Glaswerks 1x12 Thiele w/ an EVM-12L Classic (which the cab was designed for) and it has replaced all my 2x12s (Port City, Jenkins, Buzzbomb). I'm totally sold on the whole Thiele/EVM-12L concept. It's a huge, balanced, evenly dispersed sound in a small, lightweight package...and it creates the smoothest, most articulate OD tones from ALL my amps/pedals that I've ever heard while still maintaining clear, chimey cleans. Best of all worlds, IMO.

scottl
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
My bud Bob-I came over a week ago with his Boogafunk thiele EVM12L cab. We compared it to my Hermida thiele with EVM12L. Alf's cab decimated the Boogafunk. It was ridiculous. Open and sweet versus really really boxy......

I was impressed. I forgot how good the EVM can sound!!

analogmike
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
They are amazing for the size and weight (and price!)

Dave_C
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
My bud Bob-I came over a week ago with his Boogafunk thiele EVM12L cab. We compared it to my Hermida thiele with EVM12L. Alf's cab decimated the Boogafunk. It was ridiculous. Open and sweet versus really really boxy......

Yeah, man, the EVM-12L is da bomb!!! :)

...well, in the right cab, of course. Scott, don't you have the GW112TH too? If so, how does it compare to the Hermida? As you know, I was really surprised by how great the GW112TH sounded, especially compared to my Port City and Jenkins. I honestly have not had a single amp/cab/speaker GAS pain since landing my GW SOD II & GW112TH last May.

cap'n'crunch
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Whats up with that? A Thiele should sound like a Thiele and they should sound basically the same if they followed the Thiele parameters.

Frenster
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Anyone try the 2x10 models?

pinner
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM

I was there and I concur. Alf's cab sounded way better.

pinner
10-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, man, the EVM-12L is da bomb!!! :)

...well, in the right cab, of course. Scott, don't you have the GW112TH too? If so, how does it compare to the Hermida? As you know, I was really surprised by how great the GW112TH sounded, especially compared to my Port City and Jenkins. I honestly have not had a single amp/cab/speaker GAS pain since landing my GW SOD II & GW112TH last May.

Hey Dave, Scotty had a 12s in it at the time so it wasn't a good comparison.

Dave_C
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Hey Dave, Scotty had a 12s in it at the time so it wasn't a good comparison.

Thanks, Pinner. Was just wondering.

Mark Kane
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, I haven't had this good of luck with the Hermida ported 1 X 12's. I've had two of them and both were not pleasing with different speakers. I tried older EV12L's, RWB's, G1265's, a Weber Michigan, Celestion lead 80, and old EV SRO ceramic. Between speakers the most noticable difference was the highend would change. The annoying thing about this cab was the way the lowend was sooooo boomy with all those speakers and the low end was also "disconnected" from the rest of the sound. It was like to different sound sources coming at you, not blended at all. After reading all the glowing reviews on this cab I thought after my first one that I'd gotten a bad one so I got another and it was identical. I tried various insulation techniques all of which made slight changes but didn't fix it. I then got a Glaswerks 1 X12 ported which looked about the same except for some 1 inch slats along the back of the cab and it sounded just killer with all those same speakers. This is one of the weirdest experiences I've had screwing around with this stuff. I've had a couple cabs built to the TL806 specs and they sound really nice as well. I can't figure out why the Hermida's didn't work for me.

Dave_C
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, I haven't had this good of luck with the Hermida ported 1 X 12's. I've had two of them and both were not pleasing with different speakers. I tried older EV12L's, RWB's, G1265's, a Weber Michigan, Celestion lead 80, and old EV SRO ceramic. Between speakers the most noticable difference was the highend would change. The annoying thing about this cab was the way the lowend was sooooo boomy with all those speakers and the low end was also "disconnected" from the rest of the sound. It was like to different sound sources coming at you, not blended at all. After reading all the glowing reviews on this cab I thought after my first one that I'd gotten a bad one so I got another and it was identical. I tried various insulation techniques all of which made slight changes but didn't fix it. I then got a Glaswerks 1 X12 ported which looked about the same except for some 1 inch slats along the back of the cab and it sounded just killer with all those same speakers. This is one of the weirdest experiences I've had screwing around with this stuff. I've had a couple cabs built to the TL806 specs and they sound really nice as well. I can't figure out why the Hermida's didn't work for me.

I wasn't going to mention it till someone else did, but I've heard of a similar experience that someone else had with the Hermida vs. Glaswerks Thiele cabs. The Glaswerks is bigger overall and does have some unusual-looking internal features. There could be other differences. I believe both cabs are made by Lopoline but apparently to very different specs.

Whatever the case, any cab/speaker combo, especially a 1x12, that could combine and then exceed everything I love about my Port City and Jenkins 2x12s is a pretty major achievement in my book!

Mark Kane
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I wasn't going to mention it till someone else did, but I've heard of a similar experience that someone else had with the Hermida vs. Glaswerks Thiele cabs. The Glaswerks is bigger overall and does have some unusual-looking internal features. There could be other differences. I believe both cabs are made by Lopoline but apparently to very different specs.

Whatever the case, any cab/speaker combo, especially a 1x12, that could combine and then exceed everything I love about my Port City and Jenkins 2x12s is a pretty major achievement in my book!

Ya, I always hesitate to post negative stuff but it was my experience and I'm certainly in the minority regarding Alf's cabs. I hope someday to hear one that somebody really digs to see if it's just me or that I got a couple bum cabs.
I've still got two old Jenkins 2X12's that are over 10 years old now and still rockin'. I've got the first first Highway 61 cab, I've got it setup open backed with a pair of celestion heritage 65's and one of his older original cabs with the heritage g12h30's. I love those cabs.

gatordoc
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone know the approximate weight of the Hermida 1x12 Thiele w/ an EVM-12L?

Dave_C
10-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Ya, I always hesitate to post negative stuff but it was my experience and I'm certainly in the minority regarding Alf's cabs. I hope someday to hear one that somebody really digs to see if it's just me or that I got a couple bum cabs.
I've still got two old Jenkins 2X12's that are over 10 years old now and still rockin'. I've got the first first Highway 61 cab, I've got it setup open backed with a pair of celestion heritage 65's and one of his older original cabs with the heritage g12h30's. I love those cabs.

I've got an H61 too, setup for open back with Scholz Sugarcones in there now. What a coincidence! It's really an enormous and very open-sounding cab. I got mine around the same time you did. I'd had it for a while when 9/11/2001 hit. I think I got it in 2000, maybe even 1999. The only reason I started looking into other cabs was because my bandmates complained about the stage volume due to the open back. The cab seems to radiate in ALL directions and just completely fills every part of a room, which can be a very good thing or a bad thing, but only for bandmates! ;)

That's when I got into the Buzzbomb front-ported design. Big mistake. That cab was horribly constrained and closed-in sounding. Worst cab I've owned.

Then, I got the Port City, which sounded a lot like the Jenkins if you were standing in the right spot out front, but I found it quite directional, with the volume dropping off quickly when standing off-axis and the tone changing in an undesirable way as well.

Then, I got the Glaswerks GW112TH and it solved every single one of those previous problems and also added the benefit of light weight and portability!

cap'n'crunch
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
The Hermida and Glaswerks cabs aren't exactly "Thiele" cabs are they? Not that that is a bad thing. Just saying.

Festus
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
AFAIK, the Glaswerks G112TH cab was designed using the Thiele parameters for the older EVM 12L speaker. The newer EVM12L is very similar, though some say the two sound different. I don't really know. I put a new EVM 12L in a Glaswerks G112TH Thiele alingned cab, and I'll say it sounds incredible. Don't know about the Hermida ported cab, I haven't used one and there's no specifics on their website.

A440
10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
can anyone comment on the open back cabs. I'm contemplating a 1x12 or 2x12.

Primakurtz
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I also have a Hermida open back 2 X 12". Great cab. I don't think it is all that different from any other small oval-opening cabinet. Also made by Lopoline.
I love the combination of the ported 2 X 12" and the open 2 X12".

Dave_C
10-15-2010, 10:12 PM
AFAIK, the Glaswerks G112TH cab was designed using the Thiele parameters for the older EVM 12L speaker. The newer EVM12L is very similar, though some say the two sound different. I don't really know. I put a new EVM 12L in a Glaswerks G112TH Thiele alingned cab, and I'll say it sounds incredible. Don't know about the Hermida ported cab, I haven't used one and there's no specifics on their website.

Apparently, that's not true. The Glaswerks website says the following about the GW112TH:
"Front ported design, optimized for the Electrovoice Classic 12L"

Jef Bardsley
10-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Whats up with that? A Thiele should sound like a Thiele and they should sound basically the same if they followed the Thiele parameters.
Hmmm, no, not really.

I've been trying to think of a good, guitar-player oriented analogy, and while I think there may be one in chording along with a song, I'm weak on music theory myself so let's stick with techy stuff.

Consider speakers to be like tubes. The speaker is what it is, but the box it's in can alter the sound. In the same way, tubes all have an identifiable character, but they sound different in different amp circuits. "Thiele parameters" are like tube specs. They are merely measurements of the speaker. Thiele created over two dozen "alignments", technically filter designs, and these are equivalent to the amp circuit in this analogy. A given speaker (or any speaker with similar parameters), will sound a certain way in a given alignment and somewhat different in a different alignment. In the same way, an EL84 will sound like one thing in a Fender, and like something else in a Vox, though you'll still get the same chimey, early overdrive character the tube is famous for.

You can say both Fender and Vox amps were based on RCA Manual circuits, just as you can say a speaker cab was built using Thiele alignments, but there are differences between the designs. "Based on a circuit form the RCA Manual" doesn't tell you which circuit, or what the amp will sound like, it just lends some credibility to the design. In a similar fashion, many speakers claim to use "Thiele" equations in their design just to imply there was some engineering involved. In fact, the Mesa "1x12 Thiele" uses Thiele's name even though it does not use a Thiele alignment (The EV TL806 cab was based on an alignment by EV's Don Keele. Actually, the EV12L was built just for that alignment, sort of as a proof of concept. (I think it was a success! ;))).

What most consumers (and "designers" that unquestionably trust their computer programs) don't realise is that the majority of the Thiele alignments suck. They look impressive on paper, but they don't actually work in the real world. Of the designs that do work.... well, it's like the "RCA Manual" thing. Yes, anyone can cop a page from RCA and claim to be a "designer". But it's a far cry from "It works!" to being a Dumble or a Fischer.

Disclaimer: Yeh, I'm a speaker enclosure/crossover designer, and I've got a dog in this race. Several dogs, actually. I was measuring "Thiele parameters" before Thiele's paper was published in the AES Journal, as they aren't actually Thiele's; the design method was discovered by James Novak. Yes, I'm old and somewhat bitter that Neville gets all the noise, while the actual forward progress was made by Novak and Keele. I don't mean to diminish Thiele's accomplishments - they were many, and he was often ahead of his time. Think of me as a Blues Nazi, trying to explain to some kid that there was Blues before SRV (or, more accurately, trying to get Willie Dixon credit for all the songs he actually wrote). "Hey! You kids get off my waterfall plot!"

Dave_C
10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Hmmm, no, not really.

I've been trying to think of a good, guitar-player oriented analogy, and while I think there may be one in chording along with a song, I'm weak on music theory myself so let's stick with techy stuff.

Consider speakers to be like tubes. The speaker is what it is, but the box it's in can alter the sound. In the same way, tubes all have an identifiable character, but they sound different in different amp circuits. "Thiele parameters" are like tube specs. They are merely measurements of the speaker. Thiele created over two dozen "alignments", technically filter designs, and these are equivalent to the amp circuit in this analogy. A given speaker (or any speaker with similar parameters), will sound a certain way in a given alignment and somewhat different in a different alignment. In the same way, an EL84 will sound like one thing in a Fender, and like something else in a Vox, though you'll still get the same chimey, early overdrive character the tube is famous for.

You can say both Fender and Vox amps were based on RCA Manual circuits, just as you can say a speaker cab was built using Thiele alignments, but there are differences between the designs. "Based on a circuit form the RCA Manual" doesn't tell you which circuit, or what the amp will sound like, it just lends some credibility to the design. In a similar fashion, many speakers claim to use "Thiele" equations in their design just to imply there was some engineering involved. In fact, the Mesa "1x12 Thiele" uses Thiele's name even though it does not use a Thiele alignment (The EV TL806 cab was based on an alignment by EV's Don Keele. Actually, the EV12L was built just for that alignment, sort of as a proof of concept. (I think it was a success! ;))).

What most consumers (and "designers" that unquestionably trust their computer programs) don't realise is that the majority of the Thiele alignments suck. They look impressive on paper, but they don't actually work in the real world. Of the designs that do work.... well, it's like the "RCA Manual" thing. Yes, anyone can cop a page from RCA and claim to be a "designer". But it's a far cry from "It works!" to being a Dumble or a Fischer.

Disclaimer: Yeh, I'm a speaker enclosure/crossover designer, and I've got a dog in this race. Several dogs, actually. I was measuring "Thiele parameters" before Thiele's paper was published in the AES Journal, as they aren't actually Thiele's; the design method was discovered by James Novak. Yes, I'm old and somewhat bitter that Neville gets all the noise, while the actual forward progress was made by Novak and Keele. I don't mean to diminish Thiele's accomplishments - they were many, and he was often ahead of his time. Think of me as a Blues Nazi, trying to explain to some kid that there was Blues before SRV (or, more accurately, trying to get Willie Dixon credit for all the songs he actually wrote). "Hey! You kids get off my waterfall plot!"

Great info. Have seen much of this before, but not all. Thanks. Not sure how Gary used that info for his GW112TH, but if my real-world comparisons to other highly lauded cabs (Port City, Jenkins) and other folks' real-world comparisons to other "Thiele"-port cabs are any indication, Gary absolutely NAILED it! :)

mxr2000
04-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Love my 1x12 ported Hermida . But was thinking to get a 2x12 ported Hermida for High gain sounds anybody with experience using this cabs know if it can Handle Modern high gain sounds styles or its only design for more of vintage sounds?how well they can handle Volume and Lows?

fusionbear
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Love my 1x12 ported Hermida . But was thinking to get a 2x12 ported Hermida for High gain sounds anybody with experience using this cabs know if it can Handle Modern high gain sounds styles or its only design for more of vintage sounds?how well they can handle Volume and Lows?

They handle the high gain sounds awesome as long as you use EV's Other speakers can fall apart sonically if they are not within the specs of those cabs.

Ampegasaur
04-26-2011, 11:50 PM

That is what I play, and they sound great with the EV speakers. I agree with what Fusionbear said. I play high wattage amps, with tons of gain, and never once did they ever get overloaded. Sound huge as well.

mxr2000
04-27-2011, 12:05 AM
So this cab is design only for EV's and Eminence Delta pro flat type of speakers ? I was thinking using the 2x12 ported with Scumback's Speakers what other small 2x12 ported cab work well with the Scumback's?

fusionbear
04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
So this cab is design only for EV's and Eminence Delta pro flat type of speakers ? I was thinking using the 2x12 ported with Scumback's Speakers what other small 2x12 ported cab work well with the Scumback's?

Try the Stone Age 2x12B (That is the standard size 2x12) Get the full closed back version. It will be perfect with scumbacks. The 2x12C also sound really big too, maybe a hair less tight...

Scumbacks don't sound good in Theile ported cabs IMO...