PDA

View Full Version : BBE Sonic Stomp at the end of your chain???

turnstylepoet
06-21-2009, 03:48 PM
First off, I do not own this pedal so I am claiming hands on ignorance. That aside, where is the best place (or most logical place) for the BBE Sonic Stomp in a signal chain.

A friend of mine has one and he has it last in his chain. His chain is...Ernie Ball Volume, Boss TTU, MXR Micro Amp, Fulltone FD2, Boss DD-20, EHX DMM, BBE Sonic stomp.

I asked him about it and he said he thought it acted kind of like a comp so it should be at the end. :jo

Anway, just thought I'd get some opinions

turnstylepoet
06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
bump

Brettski
06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
That's where I have my SS. What a great pedal. It gets no love around here. No wait list, I guess.
:hide

metz420
06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Mine goes at the end of my chain. I originally purchased it to help with the boxiness from my Blues Junior. I've recently had the Bill M mods done (tonestack, output transformer upgrade, etc.) and thought I wouldn't need it any more. The Bill M mods sound fantastic without the Sonic Stomp but sound even better with it in the chain. The trick, in my experience, with this pedal is to find the sweet spot on the process knob. To little or too much and it has negative impacts on your tone. I find that dialing it in somewhere between 10 - 12 o'clock works well. BBE recommends placing this in the effects loop or last in the chain if going into the front of the amp.

turnstylepoet
06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Nice! Thanks Brettski and metz420.

I play a Pro Junior and I wonder if the Sonic Stomp might improve my tone. I'll have to try it out next time I jam with my friend.

Thanks again!

doublee
06-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Great pedal. Last in chain.

dincorcelles
06-22-2009, 07:06 AM
i like it better in front of the amp than putting it on the effects loop

Clifford-D
06-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Last in chain in fx loop.

It's like taking a blanket off your amp.

It gets little luv around here because
my thought on that is people want bigger
change out of a pedal.
I hear great change even if it is subtle.

Buy one. Especially if you play clean.

stryker59
06-22-2009, 07:37 AM
i have gone back and forth on the SS and its back on my pedal board.....it is last in the chain in my effects loop. its hi def for your tone!

Brettski
06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah it is pretty subtle. It's not as fun as having more dirt or delay or modulation, but it makes everything sound more alive. It's like spending money on new glasses. You think "why the hell didn't I go this six months ago?"

semi-hollowbody
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Last in the chain...it definitely adds something to your tone...great little pedal!

ungarn
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
The best place I found for this pedal was ebay.

phillygtr
06-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I have this pedal and like it OK (I use it in the front of the amp).

Question -- it's digital right? Is it possible to overload it if used in the fx loop? Especially those fx loops that do not have send/return level adjustment?

Brettski
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
:rimshot:thud

semi-hollowbody
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I disagree...

but this was funny, I gotta admit! :)

leofenderbender
06-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I use the BBE DI-100X Active as my direct box for acoustic [which has the Sonic Stomp built into the unit]. It adds sparkle & presence as well as more depth to the bass - in my experience, the extra sweetening does magic.

The effect is well worth it in certain applications.

fullertone
06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I have one on the way, $61 with free shipping from Amazon. I bought it for harmonica (it gets big love in harp circles) but I'm looking forward to trying it with guitar.

spectreman
06-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Yes, last in the chain...

I don't use it anymore but like most pedals it worked better than others with different amps. I found most Fender amps took the SS very well and improved the clean sound.

I mostly play through the Dr. Z now though and thought it sucked some tone out of the amp. I've said this before...it makes a 'good' amp sound great but doesn't really do much for a 'great' amp.

The SS is a great pedal for the right amp and can be just like taking the blanket off the amp.

ChaseTMP
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I didn't hear one iota of improvement with my Vox/Korg AC-30 (Don Butler/Toneman modded). I tried it a couple of locations in my chain and it seemed to subdue some of the vibe from the other pedals. One of Capitol Records' senior mastering engineers, said I had golden ears when we were mastering, so I like to think I'd be able to discern an improvement.

hendrixstrat
07-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I used it last in the chain after my dl-4 in the fx loop of a Peavey bandit 112...I had a boss deluxe reverb pedal set to a clean tone, and a blues driver for dirt..This set up not only hung in there, but BLEW AWAY, a Marshall dsl, and a fender deville at my old bands practice...Without the Sonic Stomp it was just ok...I would buy another one if it got stolen..

doublee
07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I love the stomp, I equate it with having a really crappy tube in V2 in a Fender, and replacing it with a black longplate, or, a crappy speaker replaced by a Weber or TTubby etc etc. When I switch it on and off for a year now the diff isnt that subtle as some report, but whatever!

emperor_black
08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I've had it the last in my chain for the past year or so. Its use is pretty clear in ear-shattering loud volumes. Before it, I had to crank my (100 watt tube power amp) Carvin TS-100's volume all the way up. Once I added this pedal, I can cut through the mix at about 75% volume.

For bad pedals, especially distortion, it adds more character. But for good pedals, it adds little change. Too much "process" beyond 1 'o clock, the sound starts getting too solid-statey. But the lo-contour is awesome.

yorick
08-21-2009, 03:19 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I use it in the middle of my chain--after dirt but before any "effects." I tried it in various orders, and to my ears I like to balance my sound before it hits any delay, verb, etc.

And depending on the gig I will also use it to dial in my sound for the night, or if I'm switching between hums and coils I use it to tweek the sound for my singlecoils.

emperor_black
08-21-2009, 05:33 PM
its supposed to make your highs arrive before your lows by altering the phase or something like that. There was a paper available on the BBE site explaining what it does. Theoretically, that means you need to put it after all your "tone" modifying effects. If your reverb,delay, etc. are not changing your tone, then, after your dirt box. THE Ideal location would be the last effect in your amp's return loop.