PDA

View Full Version : Who digs Randy Meisner, original member of the Eagles ?

JELLIS
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
One of the original Eagles.

Baxtercat
06-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Totally great.....from the flatlands along I-80, as I recall, thru the Ash Grove/Troubadour circuit, then Poco, too. Quite a journey.....

Catoogie
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
He wrote 'Take It to the Limit' what more can ya ask for?

Alvis
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I think he was a major part of the early Eagles sound .Maybe he lost some juice to the Henley/Azoff alliance ?

A lotta people thought it was corny,but I always dug the Desperado "concept" album

Jim85IROC
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I dig Meisner. I dig Schmidt. I dig Leadon. I dig Really dig Felder & Walsh. Hell, I even sorta dig Stuart Smith. I even dig Henley and Frey as long as we're only talking about the music. :D

I really like the Eagles. :)

getbent
06-30-2009, 01:35 PM
He was great with Ricky Nelson (and along with John Boylan, helped Rick take a great creative turn), a pioneer of country rock, a signature voice, solid, unheralded bass player, awesome with Poco, wrote classic tunes with the Eagles and is the best thing to come out of Scottsbluff, NE.

Big big fan. His solo records had some moments... but I don't think his heart was in it....

I think he is one of those guys that is never quite happy where he is... when he's on the road, he wants to be home, when he's home he wants to be in the studio, when he is in the studio he wants to gig... some guys are just like that....

The old youtubes of the 70's Eagles just really shine for me....

Here is a tune from his early 60's band "the Poor" (http://www.randymeisneronline.com/multimedia/MP3/poorshesgotthetime.mp3)... pretty cool stuff.

and here is "tryin" (http://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/TryinBerkeley73.mp3) from 73

TNJ
06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Great vocalist.

Great bassist.

Personality wise...unknown, but I'm sure it must have played a factor.

Don and Glen (A-holes though they can be) dont like whiners. I'm guessing Randy (And Don Felder, obviously) had a bit of that in him, and "Life in the Fast Lane" that was the Eagles at their peak, probably brought out the worst in them all.

S.
j

MMiller
06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Went to HS in Western NE with Randy's oldest son...really dig the original Eagles...Not to interested in them after Felder was booted.

His original band the Dynamics still are playing in W NE.

Baxtercat
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
...now that's wild.
Like the Dead or something [or me].
Cool there are so many guitar Boomers taking a licking and still ticking.

[We were out of orange County but even played in Scottsbluff several times in the mid-70s; waterskied Lake Mac [?] on our Sundays off.

MMiller
06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Scottsbluff really had some decent bands coming through at that time, Wild Cherry, Heart, Los Lobo's long before they were big names. A couple of really popular bars and some even played at the drive-in....:eek:

Was lucky that my aunt thought it was cool to take her nephew who was into guitar out to see them. Probably water skied at Lake Minatare. Lake Mac would have been a 3 hour or so drive away.

trisonic
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Me. I saw him in London with the first iteration of The Eagles (before "Desperado" came out) they played solid for three hours, great voice great player - I came across him earlier as part of the Stone Canyon Band with Rick Nelson.......

Best, Pete.

GuitarsFromMars
07-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Meis got out while the gettin' was good. Henley/Frey/Azoff have beat the goose that laid the golden egg, into submission, all the way to the bank.

paul p
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Great vocals, great player. I understand he's not doing all that well health-wise.

I thoroughly enjoyed his work with The Eagles. Randy, Bernie and Don Felder, along with "The Gods" (Henley and Frey), were IMHO, The Eagles at their finest.

Jim Jones
10-18-2010, 04:18 PM

My feelings exactly! I saw the Eagles a couple years back and Frey sings it "OK", but it's just not the same.

Strat
10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Pretty much anyone who has ever heard him I would think. You ?

One of the original Eagles.

wstsidela
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I saw Meisner & Henley in the same room about 8 years ago. Don does not like Randy. He did everything he could to avoid him. It was really weird.

tonefinger
10-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Went to HS in Western NE with Randy's oldest son...really dig the original Eagles...Not to interested in them after Felder was booted.

His original band the Dynamics still are playing in W NE.

Interesting, I grew up in North Platte, now reside in the Atlanta area. I met and played with better musicians in those small towns than I have here in a major metropolitan area.

semi-hollowbody
10-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Take it to the limit is probably one of their best tunes...

semi-hollowbody
10-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I saw Meisner & Henley in the same room about 8 years ago. Don does not like Randy. He did everything he could to avoid him. It was really weird.
Who the hell DOES Don Henley like??
He seems like a giant ahole!!

guitarman_nebr
10-19-2010, 07:28 AM
i grew up in Mid-Nebraska. Meissner was a big inspiration to us all to make something of the music.

i met Randy at a casual party in the late 70's (he had college buddies my brother hung out with). He was cool and just happy to be there.

he left a great impression on me. his work with the Eagles was top notch stuff.

billyga
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
No offense to Tim Schmidt, but the Eagles just weren't the Eagles without Randy. He sure brought quite a few gems to the table. "Certain Kind of Fool", "Try and Love Again", "Too Many Hands", "Take It" are all well written, tremendously (and soulfully) sung songs. And Randy's bass playing was always tastful and complimentary to the tune. A very underrated talent for sure.

paul p
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
No offense to Tim Schmidt, but the Eagles just weren't the Eagles without Randy. He sure brought quite a few gems to the table. "Certain Kind of Fool", "Try and Love Again", "Too Many Hands", "Take It" are all well written, tremendously (and soulfully) sung songs. And Randy's bass playing was always tastful and complimentary to the tune. A very underrated talent for sure.

Well said. :agree

DrumBob
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM

+1000. My favorite Eagles tune of all time. His voice blows me away.

mr coffee
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM

another high harmony bass player...

"I can't tell you why".. another great non eagles tune

MBreinin
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
That voice. Truly a gift.

Ogre
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I dug him as a original member of Poco. I saw that band live, and they killed.

SnidelyWhiplash
02-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Very underated musician.

frickengruvin
02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Well said. :agree

:agree+2

gmann
02-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Well I think Timothy B. is the best high harmony singing bass player I've ever heard. Havin' said that, Randy is truly great and his contributions to that band speak for themselves. Something about the quality of his voice in those harmonies is really unique. With Schmidt the harmonies are more seamless but with Randy (the harmonies are still seamless) but you can always hear that it's Randy and I think that quality makes those harmonies really special. I 1st heard him on Rick Nelson's live at the Troubadour LP and then Poco's 1st LP Pickin' Up The Pieces. Quite the career Randy's had.

Lution
02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Cool to see Randy get some respect here. and also references here to my hometown, Scottsbluff, where I currently reside again.

I played in a couple of bands with Randy's son, Dana, in the early 90s. Dana plays the drums and is a monster player. Tremendous talent. I have also recently played in a couple of bands with Randy's other son, Eric. Eric is also a drummer and is quite talented himself. I have been fortunate enough to meet and talk with Randy on several occasions. He's always friendly and kind to me. Super cool guy and really cool family.

Scottsbluff itself is sort of an enigma when it comes to the large amount of talented musicians in this area. For its size, Scottsbluff produces tons of musical talent. Unfortunately, all the big clubs have closed and all that is left here are bars and small nightclubs. They do pay good money for coverbands, but few of them welcome all-original bands anymore. Still a fun place, but I'll be moving out of here again soon.

Mac Daddy 355
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Randy was the Bass player on the first Poco album

Lotis
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
That voice.........rare!

Boris Bubbanov
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM

By the time the album was released, he was nowhere in sight.

What was the deal on that?

DrumBob
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Great voice, great bass player, terrific songwriter. "Take It To The Limit" is my fave Eagles song.

Mac Daddy 355
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
By the time the album was released, he was nowhere in sight.

What was the deal on that?

I believe it was a session (project) for him

Rockledge
11-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon WERE the Eagles. When they bailed the Eagles became just another generic garden variety pop band doing generic radio friendly off the rack stock licks.
I wish Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, and Don Felder would get together, that would be the REAL Eagles.

Rockledge
11-21-2011, 09:07 PM

He must find being in the vicinity of someone with that much talent to be quite frustrating.........

aliensporebomb
11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
He must find being in the vicinity of someone with that much talent to be quite frustrating.........

You really think it is related to professional jealousy?

Rockledge
11-21-2011, 10:59 PM

I strongly suspect so.

dennyman
11-22-2011, 05:53 AM
...I wish Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, and Don Felder would get together, that would be the REAL Eagles.

Along with J.D. Souther writing some of the songs.

aliensporebomb
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I strongly suspect so.

Stranger things have happened I suppose. But given that Henley has had a bunch of his own hits you figure he would be confident enough to share a stage with someone able to be "his own guy" I suppose. Maybe not!

StevenS
11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
I certainly dig him.

"Take it to the Limit" from their live album was just awesome!

:beer

coldinWI
11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Well I think Timothy B. is the best high harmony singing bass player I've ever heard.

My vote goes to Brian Wilson, that being said, Meis. is no slouch!

RhytmEarl
11-22-2011, 06:08 PM
cVaiRLDM628

PS I don't hate the eagles, I love quoting Lebowski. :D

SnidelyWhiplash
11-26-2011, 08:20 AM

If you ever get a chance to listen to the first Poco album,i highly recommend
it. Richie Furay,Jim Messina & Randy,plus Rusty Young. Fantastic.

It's amazing how important he was to early " country rock ". He was on albums by Linda Ronstatt,Poco, & Ricky Nelson's Stone Canyon Band.

gmann
11-26-2011, 08:04 PM
My vote goes to Brian Wilson, that being said, Meis. is no slouch!

Brian's not much of a bass player, his best lines were played by Wrecking Crew members. Vocally, he's hard to beat.

Rockledge
11-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Stranger things have happened I suppose. But given that Henley has had a bunch of his own hits you figure he would be confident enough to share a stage with someone able to be "his own guy" I suppose. Maybe not!

Having the talent to market something is fine, but that wasn't the talent I was speaking of.
There have been a lot of hits over a lot of decades that are hits more because of record companies madison avenue abilities than by the artists abilities.

Soul Man
11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I was just listening to a little solo Meis yesterday.

chanel
04-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I have to agree with Rockledge @ #36. I have never felt the same about the Eagles since Randy left.

spamsponge
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Who the hell DOES Don Henley like??
He seems like a giant ahole!!

Underage girls?

Met him in the '80s for < 5 minutes and he gives off a very strong ahole vibe. I've had no use for him since I read Felder's book.
There has to be a song out there that sums him up.
A Turd in the punchbowl of life?

Still love the Eagles music.

cledussnow
04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
It's amazing how important he was to early " country rock ". He was on albums by Linda Ronstatt,Poco, & Ricky Nelson's Stone Canyon Band.

Actually the Eagles (Henley Frey Meisner and Leadon) were Ronstadt's backing band for a short stint. They performed live with her in Disneyland, and were all on her self-titled 3rd album.

jerrycampbell
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
A few songs were mentioned (I love Take It To The Limit), but what other tunes did Meisner contribute to the Eagles?

Lution
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
A few songs were mentioned (I love Take It To The Limit), but what other tunes did Meisner contribute to the Eagles?

Take from Wikipedia:

Eagles songs written or co-written by Randy Meisner

"Take the Devil" from Eagles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_%28album%29)
"Early Bird" (co-written with Bernie Leadon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Leadon)) from Eagles
"Tryin'" from Eagles
"Certain Kind of Fool" from Desperado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desperado_%28Eagles_album%29) (co-written with Glenn Frey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Frey) & Don Henley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Henley))
"Saturday Night" from Desperado (co-written with Frey/Henley/Leadon)
"Is It True" from On the Border (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Border)
"Too Many Hands" from One of These Nights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_These_Nights) (co-written with Don Felder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Felder))
"Take It to the Limit" from One of These Nights (co-written with Frey/Henley)
"Try and Love Again" from Hotel California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Meisner

m1911
04-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe an unfair perception.....because I've never personally met ANY of the Eagles....But I've always thought Randy Meisner was the decent guy in the bunch of HUMONGOUS A-Holes....(I like Felder & Walsh too, but that was a bit later).
Does anyone know what Mr. Meisner is doing these days?

In another thread I heard Chris Ethridge of Flying Burrito fame et-al....passed away today....

For those interested....my kid turned me on to this documentary last week.
"From the Byrds to the Eagles"
Including CSNY, Gram Parsons, Burritos, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, etc., etc.....and yes...David Geffen too....

-3FvWSvZx4U

chanel
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
It's that funny. I was watching that after work yesterday. It's very good, I thought. Bernie talks about Eagles. It was really, really refreshing to have him talking instead of Don H. or Glenn. I have always wanted to listen to what Bernie had to say about Eagles history. Hope you like the doco. Miss Pamela, the high-profile groupie and David Crosby also appear quite a bit, too.

jwritz
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Never thought much of the Eagles after about half way through "One of These Night". Sold out. First three Eagles album are rock classic. First saw the Eagles open up for Ricky Nelson around the "Garden Party" period. What a show. Yes I am that old. When Leadon left the Eagles they where never the same. "On The Border" is just a jem. "Take the Devil" off the first "Is it True" & "Too Many Hands, Randy finest moment. I miss him.

SteveO
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I've had no use for him since I read Felder's book.

I read one other Eagles biography(can't remember the title) that came out while Felder was still with them (also have Felder's book), and it painted a similarly unflattering picture of Henley.

AllmanFan
04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Needless to say, but this guy is pretty much a legend in Western NE. Kind of a Cinderella story. A buddy of mine's dad still has the car Randy sold him trying to put together funds to get out to California before the Eagles came together.

Rockledge
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Him leaving the Eagles was the next to last nail in their coffin. The final nail was Mr Felders absence. The last album they did took a studio full of musicians to mimic the sounds of the true talent of the band, all of which are no longer in it.

Mr Meisners solo albums are fantastic. His huge contribution to the real Eagles sound is quite obvious in his solo work.

Lution
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
The drummer for my cover band (Bionic Freddy) is Randy's son, Eric. Eric and I have been good pals for a long time. I asked him a couple of weeks ago how his dad was doing. He said Randy has been taking it easy lately. No shows or tours at the moment.

Here's some solo Randy. . .

RI73sJRPZBc

chanel
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
I've read Felder's book which I very much enjoyed and I've read another book written years ago about the Eagles. In both those stories, I have to agree that Henley was painted in a very unflattering way. I kind of enjoyed some of his solo work but then that was all we knew of or experienced of ex-Eagles in my country. The Australian media has always painted Don Henley in a positive light and we didn't hear anything at all about Randy or Bernie leaving. I learned those things by reading the second book that I refer to. I read that book in the very early 1990s I think but I knew something was missing from Eagles when I bought The Long Run all those years ago. I hope you can understand the picture I'm trying to paint here. I didn't know about Felder being fired until recently because I was prompted to do an Internet search after the neighbours were playing Greatest Hits over and over again. I refused to go to Hell Freezes Over and other proceeding Eagles concerts because of the ticket prices and I felt the tours were a cop out. If you say 'when hell freezes over', then in my opinion, mean it and stick to it. Besides, as I've already said, to me they aren't the Eagles without Bernie, Randy and now Felder whose playing I didn't mind a bit. I remember The Stone Canyon Band but, in Australia, we really were only exposed to Garden Party and then the news that Ricky had been killed. Ricky had quite a following here, in some ways, because a lot of us grew up with Ozzie and Harriet. I tell you, living in Australia and being privy to other musical influences, while it's terrific and gives us so much choice and creative input, it can get a little confusing and frustrating at times. :eeks Hope this makes sense? Those people living in the U.S. would have a completely different experience to us, I'm sure. I guess we don't have to listen to international musicians or buy their music but early Eagles was good. I know every time I hear 'Take It Easy' even now, no matter how bad I've been feeling, I always feel better. It's a great song.

spamsponge
04-25-2012, 02:30 AM
The drummer for my cover band (Bionic Freddy) is Randy's son, Eric. Eric and I have been good pals for a long time. I asked him a couple of weeks ago how his dad was doing. He said Randy has been taking it easy lately. No shows or tours at the moment.

RI73sJRPZBc

I forgot all about this song... I had the cassette, god knows where it is now...
Thanks for posting this.

chanel
04-25-2012, 02:45 AM
In Australia, we heard that Randy wasn't very well but that's old news now, isn't it? Also, he's getting up in years and must be jack of the road? His Aussie supporters all hope he's doing okay, anyway.

chanel
05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm hoping that some of you more enlightened and experienced people can help me shed some light on this minor topic, please? I have always thought that it was Randy doing lead vocals on the original version of OOTN. It sure sounds like it to me - no matter how many times I listen to that song. On Wikipedia, on the album OOTN information, it says lead vocals for the song OOTN, Don Henley and Randy Meisner [Don Henley is song-writer] but on the Wikipedia site for the song alone, it says Don Henley lead vocals with Randy as back-up vocalist. Then, on YOUTUBE, there is an old live film clip of Eagles doing this song with Henley doing leads and Randy doing back-ups. It's not an important issue and it doesn't really matter, particularly considering Randy's been gone from the band so many long years already. Anyway, I think it's Randy doing the lead vocals in the original version of the song and I just wondered about the opinion of others. Just for the record - the live version that I watched on YOUTUBE with Henley doing the lead is very boring UNTIL along comes DON FELDER who woke me from my slumber with his dynamic guitar solo. Long live the HC Eagles and previous line-up!

Lution
05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm hoping that some of you more enlightened and experienced people can help me shed some light on this minor topic, please? I have always thought that it was Randy doing lead vocals on the original version of OOTN. It sure sounds like it to me - no matter how many times I listen to that song. On Wikipedia, on the album OOTN information, it says lead vocals for the song OOTN, Don Henley and Randy Meisner [Don Henley is song-writer] but on the Wikipedia site for the song alone, it says Don Henley lead vocals with Randy as back-up vocalist. Then, on YOUTUBE, there is an old live film clip of Eagles doing this song with Henley doing leads and Randy doing back-ups. It's not an important issue and it doesn't really matter, particularly considering Randy's been gone from the band so many long years already. Anyway, I think it's Randy doing the lead vocals in the original version of the song and I just wondered about the opinion of others. Just for the record - the live version that I watched on YOUTUBE with Henley doing the lead is very boring UNTIL along comes DON FELDER who woke me from my slumber with his dynamic guitar solo. Long live the HC Eagles and previous line-up!

Hey chanel. I'm fairly certain the original features Don Henley on leads and Randy comes in on the "Ohhh, Someone to be kind to in between the dark and the light".

My band with Randy's son Eric is performing tomorrow night. I'll ask him while we're loading in and reply here on Sunday.

chanel
05-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey Lution!

Thank you so much for your interest in this and for being willing to ask Eric for me. I so appreciate it.

Baxtercat
05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, that's Henley singing lead. Then Randy of course on the fabulous chorus vocals.

Allen in San Jose
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Great bassist and singer (Though Tim Schmidt is great as well...)

chanel
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
To those people who made time to answer my inquiry about 'One of These Nights', thanks so much. I appreciate your input.

Lution
05-09-2012, 08:04 PM
To those people who made time to answer my inquiry about 'One of These Nights', thanks so much. I appreciate your input.

Hey chanel. Eric verified it was Henley on lead vocals. :)

Nickstrtcstr
05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Randy was great with The Eagles. I saw them two years ago at the Meadowlands without Randy and Don Felder. While they were good I would rather have seen the band with Randy and Don.

toocommercial
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
This is killer Meisner:

eV8PIwb0kdM

Telefunky
05-09-2012, 10:35 PM
His voice blended SO perfectly with the others, IMO far better than Schmitt (which is really sayin' something')

Both Leadon and Felder said that the Henley/Frey train was full speed ahead and if you were going to burn out on the road, they had ZERO time for you. I wonder if it was that simple, but I believe Randy was getting worn out. I understand working hard, but not at the expense of breaking up one of the all-time great bands. Then again, hindsight is easy from the fan's perspective.

chanel
05-10-2012, 03:33 AM
@ Lution

Hey Lution! Thanks for checking with Eric for me. It was good of you to go to the trouble.

@ Telefunky

I have to agree that I prefer Randy to Tim and Tim is a good entertainer but Randy just seemed to be the right fit. I miss Randy and Felder playing with Eagles. Shame about Frey and Henley and their attitude but I guess it's all water under the bridge now. I did hear that Randy and Bernie were tired from being on the road all the time. Can't imagine what that would be like. Oh well! C'est la vie.

chanel
05-10-2012, 05:21 AM
@ Telefunky

What I meant to say was that I can't imagine what life on the road must be like for musicians. I've heard it's really hard going, very draining physically and emotionally. My youngest son plays drums and is quite a keen musician but I'm hoping he'll just keep playing for fun and that's all. He's still at high school just now but finishes at the end of the year and I'm hoping he will keep studying. :rimshot

gmann
05-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Big Eagles fan here. I really like all the variations of the band, all the members bring something unique to the mix. I've said it before, probably somewhere in this thread, that my fav version was the orig. 4. Taking nothing away fm the members that came later that version is the one I think of when I think of The Eagles. Just something about them and that time I guess. I happen to think that Timothy B. is a better bass player and singer than Randy, hey, it's just my .02 ya know? Having said that Randy's vocal in the orig. Eagles harmony stack can't be beaten, just can't. Something about that voice with the other 3 just does it for me, and for alot of other people apparently.

chanel
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Hey gmann

I understand your opinion about Tim and his abilities. And I also respect that you enjoy the contributions of all the various line-ups of these musicians. They are very talented, I agree, and I do respect and enjoy a wide variety of their work. Tim is a good entertainer/musician and I quite like him, myself. I guess, however, I am quite set in my ways about Eagles' lineup. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. It's fun chatting with others about Eagles. They're terrific.

roadscholar
05-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Big Eagles fan here, and big fan of Randy.

Like gman, I enjoy all the various incarnations of the band.
The original 4 had a more stripped-down, raw sound. One thing I like about the original lineup is that Glenn Frey played quite a bit of lead. Once Felder joined, and later Walsh replacing Leadon, Glenn played very little lead. This made sense, with the other two being superior lead players. But Glenn is a pretty good lead player himself, very underrated.

chanel
05-10-2012, 01:11 PM
@ roadscholar

Hey roadscholar! I have to agree with you about Glenn's guitar playing ability. Over the years, because Australia is so far away and due to the limited press we received about Eagles, I didn't ever really know Glenn played anything but acoustic guitar. I have recently been watching old films of Eagles and I was very surprised and impressed with Glenn's lead playing with other than acoustic. He IS a very good guitar player and I have always liked his singing voice. After reading so much negative stuff about the Eagles live [when they were the old line-up and up to HC], I was very pleasantly surprised at how very well they did play live. And, often, IMO I think they sounded better live than in their records. Actually, Bernie Leadon has a terrific singing voice. Can't believe its taken all these years to find that one out. :wave

roadscholar
05-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Yep, Bernie is a good singer too. Saw him live in West Palm Beach, FL back in '04. Very small setting, less than 100 people. Chatted with him a bit afterward, nice guy.

tenor_key
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
My tribute to Randy

http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

Praised be God for Catherine the Great, and the "Graf Waldersee",
for every step of the ancestral good migrations
that brought you right into the heart
of the American Dream,
and hence inside your listeners' hearts as well!

Nothing is missing in your musizieren,
spanning as it is
from the lightness of a waltz
to the solemnity of a Bach chorale,
from the fun you have and give playing country covers
to hot pulsations of your hard rock vein.

Once heard, your voice can never be forgotten;
it can stay in the background for a while
(as does the white noise of the universe
with its peculiar frequency,
unnoticed, but embracing all of us...),
until it comes to consciousness again,
be it as a golden filigree
of vibrato and falsetto,
or an overwhelming wave of natural harmonics
originated from its lower range - 'tis
the unmistakable soundtrack of a lifetime!

There are two features of your personality
that cannot be confined within the boundaries
of vinyl, tape or ink, CDs or pictures;
they spring out of your bio to awaken empathy.
First, your returned love of music,
among whose giants you can proudly stand.
Eventually - not least - your deep humanity.

An acknowledgment, a wish, and I'm done.
"Love Me or Leave Me Alone" is a masterpiece album.
And may you live the sweetest years a man can ever long for.

chanel
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh, wow! That's a really lovely tribute. IMO, Randy deserves it and is very worth of it. Don't we miss him? tenor_ key - fabulous gesture on your part - from me, thanks.

DCAddy
06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
"Take It To The Limit" has always been my favorite Eagles tune, and of the reasons I love it, not least is the vocals. Hell, they probably shouldn't even sing it anymore, Meisner's high tenor pretty much defines the song. I would haved loved it if his vocals became more prominent. Such a distinct voice...

chanel
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
"Take It To The Limit" has always been my favorite Eagles tune, and of the reasons I love it, not least is the vocals. Hell, they probably shouldn't even sing it anymore, Meisner's high tenor pretty much defines the song. I would haved loved it if his vocals became more prominent. Such a distinct voice...

TITL is a great song, isn't it? :] I also love Try and Love Again and it seemed to me that before he left Eagles, Randy was really starting to come into his own with his song writing. It would have been nice if he had been able to do more lead vocals with Eagles. Oh well, it's great to celebrate and enjoy what we do have of him with the band and on his own, isn't it?

gmann
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Big Eagles fan here, and big fan of Randy.

Like gman, I enjoy all the various incarnations of the band.
The original 4 had a more stripped-down, raw sound. One thing I like about the original lineup is that Glenn Frey played quite a bit of lead. Once Felder joined, and later Walsh replacing Leadon, Glenn played very little lead. This made sense, with the other two being superior lead players. But Glenn is a pretty good lead player himself, very underrated.

As for Glenn Frey's guitar playin' abilitys, he's a pretty darn good slide player as well. All the early stuff was him, pre Felder. After Felder and Walsh got in the band well, what are you gonna do? Play to your strengths I guess, which for Glenn it would be singing and songwriting. He's kinda like the George Harrison of The Eagles in a way. In any other band George would have been the guy but he happens to be in a band with Lennon & McCartney, 2 of the best singers and writers ever. Don while a fine guitarist and slide player finds himself in a band with Walsh & Felder and you can't beat those guys. I've often wondered what he thinks about this as I would imagine he wants to play more but...he did OK playin' rhythm tho.

tenor_key
06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, wow! That's a really lovely tribute. IMO, Randy deserves it and is very worth of it. Don't we miss him? tenor_ key - fabulous gesture on your part - from me, thanks.

Hi, Chanel. I'm grateful for your kind words. And I seize the opportunity to spread an interesting piece of news. Have you heard about the upcoming 40th anniversary interview with Randy and Glenn? (To express it as a proportion, that “happy few / band of brothers” era is to the Eagles as the “Siglo de Oro” is to Spanish polyphony!)
[drum roll] To whomever it may concern, here is the useful link:

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/eagles-40th-anniversary-wglenn-frey-randy-meisner-6-18/

chanel
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi, Chanel. I'm grateful for your kind words. And I seize the opportunity to spread an interesting piece of news. Have you heard about the upcoming 40th anniversary interview with Randy and Glenn? (To express it as a proportion, that “happy few / band of brothers” era is to the Eagles as the “Siglo de Oro” is to Spanish polyphony!)
[drum roll] To whomever it may concern, here is the useful link:

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/eagles-40th-anniversary-wglenn-frey-randy-meisner-6-18/

Hey tenor_key,

Funny you should mention that interview. I have heard about it but I figured it must have been one from the old days - details given were really quite vague. Well, I'm really pleased to hear about Randy and Glen giving an interview. I always liked their singing voices together. I'm pleased you drew my attention to the Spanish Golden Age. I've had a lot of fun researching the topic.

roadscholar
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
As for Glenn Frey's guitar playin' abilitys, he's a pretty darn good slide player as well. All the early stuff was him, pre Felder. After Felder and Walsh got in the band well, what are you gonna do? Play to your strengths I guess, which for Glenn it would be singing and songwriting. He's kinda like the George Harrison of The Eagles in a way. In any other band George would have been the guy but he happens to be in a band with Lennon & McCartney, 2 of the best singers and writers ever. Don while a fine guitarist and slide player finds himself in a band with Walsh & Felder and you can't beat those guys. I've often wondered what he thinks about this as I would imagine he wants to play more but...he did OK playin' rhythm tho.

Definitely agree.....Glenn's a good slide player for sure. Love the slide-playing on "Smuggler's Blues". It seems he's ok with not playing much lead.....when he tours as a solo act, he still mostly just plays rhythm. I guess if he felt like stretching out and playing a bunch of solos, that would be the time to do it.
I'd love to see the Eagles do shows with a stripped-down lineup....just the four remaining, plus Stuert Smith. Get rid of all the horns, extra keyboard players, extra drummer.

tenor_key
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey tenor_key,

Funny you should mention that interview. I have heard about it but I figured it must have been one from the old days - details given were really quite vague. Well, I'm really pleased to hear about Randy and Glen giving an interview. I always liked their singing voices together. I'm pleased you drew my attention to the Spanish Golden Age. I've had a lot of fun researching the topic.

Hello there, keyboard pal! Forgive me for my previous, obscure post. I evoked the Bard, Henry V and T. L. de Victoria in the same line, not to mention the worst of all, the ghost of maths! It would have taken a fictional character like Ebenezer Scrooge to resist such a massive attack, and we're only human!
I'm glad you found the answers you were looking for.
Nevertheless, let's put it straight – it might be entertaining for someone else!
Once upon a time, Spain enjoyed its own Renaissance, the so-called Golden Century. Every art flourished, including music, whose champion, Tomás Luis de Victoria, dominated the scene of polyphony to an extent that exceeds the chronological limits of the period in question. His vocal harmonies, though rooted in the tradition of ancient Greek modes, place themselves on the verge of modern tonality.
The revolutionary potential of early Eagles, as expressed in their brilliant contribution to the birth of a country-rock sound , can easily stand comparison with the above mentioned scenario. And, IMHO, that “state of grace” moment remains unparalleled in the history of the group.
I referred also to an over-quoted highlight from Shakespeare's “Henry V”, the speech the king delivers “upon St. Crispin's Day” to motivate his troops, outnumbered by the French, by awakening them to a sense of fraternity as well as a hope of virtual immortality:
“And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;”.
That precise feeling seems to me to pour out of the 1973 BBC special and the Netherlands bootleg from the same year. When you thoroughly master your technique, when you dare something never tried before, when you confide in your companions in adventure, an Agincourt is won... against oblivion! Everyone did it his own way, of course: Henley, the staid professional man; Frey, the histrionic genius; Leadon, the self-conscious virtuoso; Meisner almost in a trance, almost romantically involved with his work.
A magical chemistry, however, marked also later appearances, such as “Seven Bridges Road” performed live in Seattle, 1976. I love it when Randy sings lead. His voice can heal my soul whenever needed!

tenor_key
06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I always loved the studio version of “I Need You Bad” from the “One More Song” album, with its excellent sax melody. But when I discovered the live performance held in Denver and featured on “Alive In America”, I remained speechless: it's EVEN BETTER! When the first guitar solo begins and Randy's voice joins in, it sounds to me as the finest counterpoint. I could listen to it a hundred times without getting bored! Do you agree?

chanel
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi there tenor_key,

Do you know what? I am ashamed to admit I haven't heard too much of Randy's solo work yet. His career sans other Eagles, here in Australia, was a very well kept secret. However, I will remedy my situation and spend this coming long weekend catching up - I just know I will be impressed!

chanel
06-07-2012, 11:31 PM
That precise feeling seems to me to pour out of the 1973 BBC special and the Netherlands bootleg from the same year. When you thoroughly master your technique, when you dare something never tried before, when you confide in your companions in adventure, an Agincourt is won... against oblivion!

Found some of the film clips of BBC and Netherlands as well as 1976 Seven Bridges Road ... had no idea these clips existed and my info was that there was no media recording at all of Seven Bridges apart from HFO [is that the one?]. 1970s in Australia - we only ever really heard Eagles music on the radio or bought it. Very little press about them and they toured here once before Randy left. Randy's voice is so very distinct and soulful ... could tell the instant I played The Long Run something was missing ... his voice mixed so well with the voices of Don and Glenn.

Re: 1976 Seven Bridges performance - three mikes together - had not seen that before. Terrific sound.

tenor_key
06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Found some of the film clips of BBC and Netherlands as well as 1976 Seven Bridges Road ... had no idea these clips existed and my info was that there was no media recording at all of Seven Bridges apart from HFO [is that the one?].

The HFO DTS audio-only bonus track is a 1980 recording, if I'm not mistaken. Randy was already busy with his solo career at that time.

Seattle 1976 includes a breathtaking performance of TIttL, too! :bow
What a pity that the cameraman began filming in the middle of the song... :huh

chanel
06-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Have been listening to Alive in America - fabulous! I remember that one of his duets, maybe the one with Kim Carnes, was a big hit over here. Didn't know until much later that the male voice was Randy. That's the Australian music press for you. Will try YOUTUBE again but can't seem to locate a performance of TITL at Seattle 1976.

tenor_key
06-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Will try YOUTUBE again but can't seem to locate a performance of TITL at Seattle 1976.

I didn't find it on YouTube. I had to purchase a DVD.

tenor_key
06-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Big Eagles fan here. I really like all the variations of the band, all the members bring something unique to the mix.

Hi gmann,

I understand that your present location is Okinawa, Japan.
I don't know whether you're a Japanese man or a U.S. military officer at Okinawa base. I assume that you're familiar with katakana!
With your help, I would like to explain to the Japanese why their transcription of "Meisner" doesn't do justice to the phonetics of that family name.
I suggest you to provide yourself with slippers, beer and chips, since a long explanation will follow!
http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

In Eastern Germany, near Dresden, there is a town by the name of Meißen, renowned for having been the first place in Europe where hard-paste porcelain was ever produced.
"From Meißen" translates as Meißener or Meißner, that - losing the "scharfes S" which is almost equivalent to a double "s" in pronunciation - becomes Meissner and eventually appears in the variant "Meisner".

Whereas the kanas chosen to render the first and the last part of the word, including the diphthong "ei" and the "vocalic r", work perfectly, the kana "zu" placed in the middle is a somewhat disputable choice, corresponding as it is, in this context, to a voiced consonant instead of the unvoiced "s" that it should represent.
Removing the nigori, in such a case worth of its alternate name of dakuten, and restoring the kana to "su" would only be fair!

Strangely enough, the Russians, while being always precise in the adaptation to Cyrillic script of the consonant in question, either single or double, have often made a different mistake: beginning not with the phonetically correct "Maĭ", but with a "Meĭ".

Nobody is perfect, however. Randy's mother's first name, Emilie, was misspelled as "Amelia" by data collectors in the 1920 U.S. Federal Census!

All the best,
tenor_key

P.S. Bonus info: Meißen is also known as "the cradle of Saxony". My better-half's family is said to be of ancient Saxon origin, so I like to think that my two sons might be remotely related to Randy!

chanel
06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Have had a great deal of fun catching up with the Seven Bridges Road clip from Live in Seattle 1976. Of course, we in the good old land of Oz weren't privvy to these wonderful performances and this heavenly song. Randy looks like he's having a ball, chatting with Don H. and bobbing around - ha, ha. You lucky Americans having all this wonderful stuff to yourselves. I will remain envious until the day I die. LOL. Also, found other old Eagles clips with Randy in them which I'm sure most people in the States would have seen many times. Our music press had some serious problems keeping us up to date with international acts. In my journeys this week, I have heard some wonderful reviews of Randy as a musician and singer. Nice to hear positive information about him from a variety of sources. Well, for me, its back to the clips and listening to the soulful Seven Bridges Road. :):)

chanel
06-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Just heard today over FB - Randy very ill with Alzeimers and dementia. Poor guy. Who would have thought? I always hoped Randy and the other Eagles might get together maybe just once for ONE MORE SONG. Hang in there, Randy!

tenor_key
06-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I am a cellist, a coward and a fool.
Some thirty years ago,
having bought Randy's first three solo albums,
I was seriously determined to go and find him,
to ask him if he would become my mentor
and turn me into a bassist - not a singer.
The undeniable fact I had no money
except my father's money
led me to walk, instead, along the path
that others had designed for me to follow.

I have performed in almost twenty countries - mainly in a duo -
a few big theaters and many a concert hall.
I've had my share of limelight and reviews,
I've experienced the road my own way,
but I couldn't forget Mr. Meisner.
A mid-Seventies snapshot of the Eagles
has ever since inhabited my living room.
It's here because of him.
His ex band-mates are high-level musicians;
there's something more to him, as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe this can explain the reason why,
although I've known his address for some time,
I never dared to reach him by a letter.

Appointed full professor at the Academy
of a smoky Old Continent metropolis,
hopelessly slave to a nomadic existence,
some months ago I started to perceive
sort of an indistinct call from the past,
soon to reveal itself as a true need
to overfill my headphones with his songs.
At first I listened to them with fulfillment,
but, as the weeks did pass,
tears came to my eyes more and more often,
though with no apparent reason.
I felt like praising Randy on this forum
(same thread, post 81, page number 6).
I know that homage may sound similar in tone
to the amiable ode, on parchment paper,
some might present a former colleague with
on his retirement day. Nevertheless, heartfelt as it was,
I don't need to disown it.

It comes as natural to me to care about him
as I do care about my parents and my sons,
for - through his music - he's given me so much
that I wouldn't be able to reciprocate
living a thousand lives.
To me, he's not the average rock star, but the rara avis
who managed to remain so pure at heart
amidst the compromises of show business.
He'll always be my hero.

If I could cross the ocean, be by his side,
sustain the ragged wound of seeing his memory
release into the sky our brief encounter
as soon as it's being born...
holding his hand in mine just for a while
would be the greatest honor of my life.

Lution
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

http://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3756

V_Tdwub0Ncs

wstsidela
06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Wow!!

chanel
06-23-2012, 12:04 AM
I heard Randy isn't very well at all. Poor guy.

tenor_key
06-23-2012, 05:37 PM
“War is not healthy for children and other living things”

http://i49.tinypic.com/2bqwes.jpg

For so boldly expressing his stance, he's worth respect and gratitude, once more.

tenor_key
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
The European night has almost come to an end; I haven't slept one minute. I've been outa sync with my present environment for about a week - guess why. It's like having to cope with jet-lag every day.
Never mind. I'm glad to be awake to share with you the opinion of a blogger, a musician from San Francisco by the name of Chris Reed, published last Thursday:

I ran across a post through Fark.com that purported to discuss the 10 greatest bass lines in rock music.
[...]
The 3 best bass players in rock weren't even on the list. In fact, none of the bassists on my list were on that "best bass line" list.
I assure you, they are on mine. So here we go. These aren't in any order than in the order I thought of them. I'm sure I've missed some great ones - feel free to discuss.

Number 10 - The Eagles, "One Of These Nights":

Come on, when that bass line starts you immediately know the song. That's Randy Meisner playing it too - he was actually one hell of a bass player, not just the guy with the high voice from the Eagle's early days. He hits the note and then does that wicked slide. It's weird and it works. And then when the first verse starts the bass line sets a foundation unlike anything in rock music of the day.

tenor_key
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I stand out like a torch, lit in the night,
still burning with the hope that you recall
what's written in your blood:
the rhythm of the seasons that is where you belong,
since your forefathers farmed half of the world we've known,
feeding poets and musicians.
I think it's not like you to let us starve alone.
A land that's been exploited has its right to lie fallow;
waiting is all we can do – a bitter sip to swallow.
The dawn of a new springtime might reward every tear
with a dewdrop of notes to soothe our thirst and fear.

chanel
06-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Boy, that's some profound writing, tenor. I just know Randy would love it!

tenor_key
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Bracken on voices.yahoo.com - Oct 2, 2009.

The following ten tracks have either:
a.) best bass instrument playing by a musician, and/or:
b.) best bass recorded sound in a recording.
[...]
1) "Outlaw Man," from the Eagles' "Desperado" album. These clean, coherent and animated musical bass lines are from member Randy Meisner. A gem of immense proportions. It's well balanced in the mix-not too overbearing, but just right.

chanel
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Patrick Bracken on voices.yahoo.com - Oct 2, 2009.

Interesting information about Outlaw Man. Been listening to Randy's solo work lately - bass work in Midnight Rain strong, melodic and funky. I'm no musician but I think I can tell a good bass line when I hear one.

tenor_key
06-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Long before divisionism became a science and a creed in art, producing the fair paintings of Seurat, some obscure mid-ninth century craftsmen
already knew its secrets.
Far removed from usual routes of mass tourism, the apse mosaic of a small church in Rome, Santa Maria in Domnica,
testifies how a skillful chromatic placement of tesserae can make them glow of an unearthly light if being watched from the right distance.
The same miracle happens with Meisner's first album from 1978.
The cohesive power of the performer's style blends a daring juxtaposition of genres, causing it to reverberate with the sparkling perfection of his vocals.

The result is a journey through the nuances of love, none of them missing – from explicit seduction to double entendres, from wise realism to a dreamy mood,
from irony on the edge of fun to desperate nostalgia, from burning passion to empty loneliness.
Tales told in the language of R&R with a multiplicity of accents, stories synchronized with the pace of ballads, all of this and much more,
to be easily understood if we only spend a minute to review the variegated songwriting which is subtended by the surface.

There are Souther & Frey, whose names provide a continuity with the Eagles' world.
Three songs have been written by Bill Lamb, an author already appreciated for the “Portland” album released with Gary Ogan.
There are three reminiscences of the early Sixties, two of them originally brought to success by Jimmy Soul and by The Drifters, respectively;
the other one, “It Hurts to Be in Love” (by Greenfield & Miller) - which hit #7 in 1964 when sung by Gene Pitney* -
is here erroneously ascribed to Dixon & Toombs, authors of a tune by the same title - covered in 1969 by John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (with Slowhand on lead guitar).
Scott Boyer's “Please Be With Me”, inherited from Cowboy's album “5'll Getcha Ten”, was also covered by Clapton.
Producer Alan Brackett, ex-member of “The Ashes” and “The Peanut Butter Conspiracy”, contributes to this work with two songs, one of them co-written with his former band-mate John Merrill: that “Lonesome Cowgirl” which will rightfully earn a place in Randy's live shows.
Last but not least, the wonderful “Heartsong” by Bill Martin.
Souther, Lamb and Brackett can be heard on background vocals.

The charm of this album, however, lies in details, too. The rare pleasure of listening to Randy on bass again, on “Save the Last Dance for Me”;
a studio version of “Take It to the Limit” of a Franciscan simplicity; the way his voice resonates pronouncing the word “One” on “Too Many Lovers”;
how he imitates the sax at the end of “If You Wanna Be Happy”; the harmony of “Heartsong” enhancing his absolute mastery of pitch.
Just to mention a few ones...

http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gif WHO CARES? http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gif
*During the Sixties, Gene Pitney collaborated a couple of times with a former junior-high schoolmate of my dad's!

tenor_key
07-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Cathy on eaglesonlinecentral.com - 05-05-2010

You gotta accept the old Randy along with the young Randy!
This note is dedicated to a group of committed female fans of Randy's - there's almost an angel flight of them out there – who were capable of collecting
and posting so many images of our favorite musician as to build up a 134-page-long thread.

Most of the pictures are juvenile portraits. Even heterosexual men can understand how the sight of such looks may leave a woman totally defenseless.
A Meißener-Porzellan face on a tall and slender figure, blessed time after time by a kinda reassuring junior-high-school countenance,
by a scampish or an ecstatic smile, by twinkling eyes that speak of lust for life, let alone the hairy chest of a German barbarian...
Mixing ancient history and sci-fi, the arrival of a clone army of such warriors would have caused the Western Roman Empire to fall without bloodshed – all the girls would have chosen the invaders. (Oddly, the clones would have looked different from one another – so wide is the range of expressions
captured by the lens, that he seems, rather than one, a hundred men.)

Accept the old Randy? What's that supposed to mean?
A devoted admirer shouldn't complain about a missing hair, a line or wrinkle, or the merest hint of overweight. Fans should cherish the idea that inside there, just wrapped up in a layer of experience, there is still him, the one and only who can be the nightingale and the lion within a single measure.

How can you resist the appeal he launches twice (oh, what a sense of rhythm!) in the finale of the title track from his latest studio album?

Let's love him. That's all.

chanel
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote: Accept the old Randy? What's that supposed to mean?
A devoted admirer shouldn't complain about a missing hair, a line or wrinkle, or the merest hint of overweight. Fans should cherish the idea that inside there, just wrapped up in a layer of experience, there is still him, the one and only who can be the nightingale and the lion within a single measure.

How can you resist the appeal he launches twice (oh, what a sense of rhythm!) in the finale of the title track from his latest studio album?

Let's love him. That's all.

Agreed. Couldn't have put it better, myself

tenor_key
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by LiveMusic on acapella.harmony-central.com 06-09-2012
[about "Peaceful Easy Feeling"]
The song is just so wonderfully mellow. But it struck me that the bass line is so enticing!

Originally posted by Jallen on forums.explosm.net 12-26-2008
Also, Randy Meisner from the Eagles is a pretty amazing bassist. If you listen to basically any bass line from any Eagles song, it's pretty complex and sounds brilliant.

Originally posted by Tim Armstrong on tdpri.com April 30th, 2008
I have two Eagles albums on my iPod (thanks again, Randy!), Desperado and On The Border, and find myself amazed at how cool Meisner's basslines are! He was flat-out great!

Originally posted by ob1 on hifiwigwam.com 28-03-2008
["Best bass line" thread]
You Never cry like a lover - The Eagles (R.Meisner)

Originally posted by VanzKantDanz on talkbass.com 12-24-2007
[about The Best of My Love]
Which boasts such a beautiful bass line that I think the song itself wouldn't even be half as good without it.

Originally posted by jopagering on rickenbacker.com Aug 31, 2007
[Post subject: Hotel California Bass line]
Always loved the bass line and the tone on H.C.
I saw the video of them in concert playing the song with the old Randy Meisner playing bass line-up and he's playing a 4001.
Always thought that was a 4001 bass line. That Randy was a smart and good bassist.

Originally posted by Cbear on mmafighting.net 08-08-2006
Randy Meisner of the Eagles was incredibly creative in his bass lines on the early Eagles albums. One of these Nights and Already Gone are good examples.

chanel
07-05-2012, 05:44 PM
As I have said before, I'm no musician but I have listened really closely to Randy's bass playing in his Eagles work and in his solo endeavours and to me, he puts down some strong, mellow lines. I think I've had some good musicians with whom to compare Randy's work [JPJ of Led Zep, John E. from The Who and Jack Bruce to name a few] and Randy, IMO, is up there with the best of them. Really miss him in the Eagles later work, i.e. from H.C. onwards. :(

tenor_key
07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
A wonder happens in Meisner's career at the meeting point between a re-achieved liberty of
thought (freed from the yoke of an unconscionable previous-contract clause)
and the quiet after the storm of leaving Eagles. There springs a state of equilibrium
where the mature expression of an artistic profile and a triumphant quest for top charts feedback
can coexist.
The outcome is "One More Song", the clean face of the newborn Eighties in music.

Behind the scenes, synergistically act the flawless management of Trudy Green and Randy's unquestionable capacity to surround himself with highly competent people, be it the supporting band hereafter known as the Silverados, or Kim Carnes, protagonist of an unforgettable duet, or the composers who co-wrote most of the album - nimble fingers that sign with him the overall coherence of its construction.
New Yorker Eric Kaz, exhibiting an impressive list of valued cooperations, and Wendy Waldman, born Steiner into a family of tv soundtrack masters, help with a creative process that includes an agreeable use of diverse percussion instruments as regards the line-up, and a careful word choice that can produce effects such as alliteration in the "Hearts On Fire" refrain.

In the end, there is still time for a gentlemanly message to old friends. It takes the form of an elegant nemesis of Poco's 1970 pale substitute for Randy's original interpretation of "Anyway Bye Bye", hastily removed from "Pickin' Up the Pieces".

Two works by Jack Tempchin seamlessly fit in: the new "White Shoes" and the mid-Seventies title track, written for his co-author of "Already Gone", Robb Strandlund.
Other legendary country-rock performers have recorded their own versions of the Tempchin songs featured on this album. No offense meant, they cannot stand comparison.

There is no room for hostility as Henley&Frey's background vocals add the final touch to an operation driven toward autobiography not so much by the slight adaptation of lyrics but rather by the lead singer's incomparably intense involvement.
Here, and elsewhere on this record, the acoustic phenomenon of sympathetic vibration moves from the sphere of science to reach the sphere of feelings,
as sound waves unrelentingly provoke your very soul to quiver.
Trust me, most skeptic reader: once you listen, you'll never be the same.

http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gifWho cares?http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon7.gif
On the first night of my first tour with a symphony orchestra, I was going to play under a Californian conductor who had no idea of the meaning of "colitas"! Shortly before the concert began, I bought myself a copy of the One More Song LP. I was accompanied by a friend who - ironically - looked identical, even in gestures, to Glenn Frey (1973 BBC edition)...

tenor_key
07-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Richland123 on talkbass.com 08-04-2011

When the song was first recorded, Randy Meisner played the bass lines a certain way. When they started to play the song out live, he changed some of the lines. Either way, there is much more going on in that song with the bass than appears.

dlc1953
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM

RI73sJRPZBc
Had forgotten all about that tune.Good! And he still had a great voice.

tenor_key
07-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Premise: yesterday I was watching the Voorburg bootleg at an unusual time of day; my kids were around.

[“How Long” starts] The not-yet-in-kindergarten boy shouts: “Wow! I can dance to this one! And my Skylanders, too!”. [The following song is “Certain Kind of Fool”] My youngest son comes back from another room with his old toy guitar. His elder brother, who has just turned 10 and usually listens to classical plus some French chansonniers (!), exclaims: “What's this? I like it!”.

It seems as if I had passed on the baton...

chanel
07-12-2012, 11:30 PM
A Rewarding Family Life
Premise: yesterday I was watching the Voorburg bootleg at an unusual time of day; my kids were around.

[“How Long” starts] The not-yet-in-kindergarten boy shouts: “Wow! I can dance to this one! And my Skylanders, too!”. [The following song is “Certain Kind of Fool”] My youngest son comes back from another room with his old toy guitar. His elder brother, who has just turned 10 and usually listens to classical plus some French chansonniers (!), exclaims: “What's this? I like it!”.

It seems as if I had passed on the baton...

A few weeks ago my youngest took me out driving with him. He offered to play music on his Iphone for me while we drove. When I asked if he had any Eagles music, he replied in the affirmative and commented on the champ bass player. He had not been prompted by me in relation to the champ bass player who in this instance was none other than Randy - my son was playing Eagles Greatest Hits 72/75. My youngest is an amateur musician whose taste usually incorporates Metallica, Tool and Korn but it was heartening that he had stored Eagles music in his Ipone and that he was independently able to recognize the talent of Randy Meisner.

Poco was never high-profile in Oz. Lately, I have been introducing myself to their work and I stumbled across a gem, Call It Love. A very poignant experience - recognizing and enjoying the mellow bass work plus the harmonic quality of Mr. Meisner's backing vocals. The album, Legacy, went gold and that's no surprise considering the quality that Randy brings and, IMO, the album lives up to its name. In Australia, we would say, 'Onya, Randy!'

tenor_key
07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Poco live at The Bottom Line - Nagoya, Japan (on Oct 21st, 1990). Guess who's singing lead...

ESwmDyitlpw

Some time ago, I bought the CD release of “Legacy”, which is well worth the expense, considering that three songs on it feature Randy's lead vocals. In the mid-Eighties, I had purchased the 1969 vinyl of “Pickin' Up the Pieces” at a far less reasonable price, just out of hunger for background vocals and bass lines!

chanel
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
To the best of my recollection, in Oz, the only exposure we had to Poco was their Legend album. Think it did okay here back in the day and then afterwards nothing. I don't think they toured in support of their work. However, friends in the States raved about Poco's work especially those times when Randy was part of the line-up. Having sampled some of the goods, I can understand Poco's popularity but, also, I can appreciate sparing no expense and 'lashing out' to acquire the quality products upon which Randy has left his mark - he is a skilled artist in every sense, IMO. :]. I have been 'lashing out' on some Poco work myself lately so that any old time I like, I can hear those mellow bass lines!

tenor_key
07-14-2012, 08:40 PM
People might wonder why just to a man
I dedicate the deepest thoughts of mine
with whom I did not share a day in life.

Here's how I truly do perceive his essence.

I see him not - like someone could infer -
as the majestic remnant
of a civilization in music that's no more.

He bears resemblance to the strength of nature.

I call the world itself to testify
he has the fiery, disarming simplicity
of a goldenrod blossom
facing the August breeze that blows out of the north west.

To me alone, he's the rebellious long wave of my youth
ever unwilling to foresee its sunset
and as I surf it with my ears and mind
I'll never be prepared to bid goodbye.

Nickstrtcstr
07-14-2012, 08:44 PM
I totally do!

sashi
07-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Poco live at The Bottom Line - Nagoya, Japan (on Oct 21st, 1990). Guess who's singing lead...

ESwmDyitlpw

Some time ago, I bought the CD release of “Legacy”, which is well worth the expense, considering that three songs on it feature Randy's lead vocals. In the mid-Eighties, I had purchased the 1969 vinyl of “Pickin' Up the Pieces” at a far less reasonable price, just out of hunger for background vocals and bass lines!

ok, that was sweet! who was that on steel? really, really cool.

best
sashi.

tenor_key
07-16-2012, 01:47 AM
My recent choice of flowers:

http://i49.tinypic.com/9amj3b.jpg

I'm practicing to cultivate the shy flower of truth, inspired by "Master Gardener" Randy Meisner himself.
It's a theme some of his lyrics vary on, both effortlessly and poignantly. A powerful reminder that disclosing one's feelings can prevent happiness from being elusive. Even if just a chance, it's really worth the attempt.
A theme akin to other ones of no lesser importance: not to run from the challenges that life presents us with; and not to let cold reasoning prevail over the verities our hearts have got to say.
Friends, tell me if such an attitude doesn't define our man!

sashi
07-16-2012, 02:45 AM
randy meisner :bow
rusty young :bow

:)

tenor_key
07-16-2012, 03:13 AM
[about Poco live in Japan, 1990]

who was that on steel? really, really cool.

randy meisner :bow
rusty young :bow

Rusty Young is indeed "the" pedal steel virtuoso! :)
Randy is absolutely great, with or without The Eagles.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

With kind regards,
tenor_key

EdMan57
07-16-2012, 04:16 AM
This thread offers up some great info.

Ed

tenor_key
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
This thread offers up some great info.

Ed

You're welcome anytime! :)

Pat

tenor_key
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by pool_of_tears on stevehoffman.tv 03-27-2007
Randy Meisner's 1980 album One More Song is quite good imo. Sounds great on vinyl (thanks to Mr. Sax).
Professor Michael Jacobson holds the Chair of Saxophone at Baylor University, TX.
The Faculty website informs us that his CD recording of John Harbison's San Antonio, issued in 1999 on the AUR label, was a first round Grammy Award nominee in the category "Best Instrumental Solo Performance without Orchestra".

Lution
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
tenor_key, thank you for your wonderful contributions to this thread. Truly a joy to read.

tenor_key
07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
tenor_key, thank you for your wonderful contributions to this thread. Truly a joy to read.
I value your opinion beyond words. You're the closest link to Randy I'll ever have.

tenor_key
07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
http://twitter.com/RobGeorge/statuses/225739612675530753

http://i45.tinypic.com/jpg9kp.jpg

chanel
07-20-2012, 04:28 AM

http://i45.tinypic.com/jpg9kp.jpg

:confused: - yes, Randy back in the Eagles would have been a treat.

@ #126 & 127:agree

tenor_key
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
:confused:
Andy Reid and Mike Vick are, respectively, head coach and quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, a renowned football team.
Bringing the name of Randy Meisner into play had all the surface flavor of a mild joke.
But “When a thing is funny, search it for a hidden truth.” [George Bernard Shaw]
That tweet enclosed the echo of a crowd. :)

P.S. The comment of another Twitter user, Jeff Emanuel, and the reply it prompted, demonstrate that Robert A. George had referred to Randy in the best possible spirit.

tenor_key
07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by LastGameForElway on bearinsider.com 11-23-2011
Meisner is obviously the greatest honorary Californian.
Originally posted by James on ericcarmen.com 01/15/10
[about Try and Love Again]
...please let me introduce you to the Eagles best song, and one of the best songs ever - period.
This one does what music at its best does...it puts you on a higher plane.
Thank you, Randy Meisner..
Originally posted by GMan on ericcarmen.com 01/16/10
"Is It True?" is my all time favorite Eagles tune
Originally posted by Matthew C. Clark on ericcarmen.com 01/16/10
"Too Many Hands" (from 1975 "One Of These Nights" & the 45 flip side of "Lyin' Eyes") is one of my favorites!!! Matt
Originally posted by hollies65 on ericcarmen.com 01/17/10
Randy Meisner was the Eagles secret weapon!
Originally posted by James on ericcarmen.com 01/17/10
"Tryin"...kick butt little rocker that would be perfect to open a show.
"Take The Devil" - in my top 5 Eagles songs - cool heavy metal sound, with great lyrics...their most powerful IMHO.
From an interview with bassist Tisha Simeral published on thunderrow.com 10-29-2010
[...] right now, I'll say that my favorite song is Take It to the Limit by the Eagles. I've always liked bassist Randy Meisner, who co-wrote and sang lead on the song. It's one of those songs that I'll put on and play over and over because I like the way it sounds and because it takes me back so strongly to a place and time.

chanel
07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
[about Try and Love Again]
...please let me introduce you to the Eagles best song, and one of the best songs ever - period.
This one does what music at its best does...it puts you on a higher plane.
Thank you, Randy Meisner..

Absolutely agree that Try and Love Again is one of the best songs ever.

Randy Meisner was the Eagles secret weapon!

Also agree. To me, Randy added a particular quality to the Eagles - for instance, in wines there is good port and ordinary and, IMO, Randy Meisner is very good Port, the best in fact.

tenor_key
07-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by BBKron on bbchron.blogspot.com on Friday, April 29, 2011
1973-11-21 - Holy Cross College, Worcester, MA [...] Although the quality of the recording itself is not all that great, there are several reasons that make this performance and recording particularly special [...] Lastly, and most importantly, this show features two original previously unknown and unreleased Eagles songs [...] The first of these songs is introduced by Frey as a new song from their upcoming On The Border album, called 'Wait and See', and written and sung by Randy Meisner. It is a blues-rock number that is given center-stage and epic treatment here, with an extended guitar jam and an 11 minute running time.http://soundcloud.com/unwillingtocomply/wait-and-see-1#

The entire show is available for download - either in mp3 or FLAC format - at the following URL:

http://bbchron.blogspot.com/2011/04/eagles-1973-11-21-holy-cross-college.html

chanel
07-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by BBKron on bbchron.blogspot.com on Friday, April 29, 2011
http://soundcloud.com/unwillingtocomply/wait-and-see-1#

The entire show is available for download - either in mp3 or FLAC format - at the following URL:

http://bbchron.blogspot.com/2011/04/eagles-1973-11-21-holy-cross-college.html

Wow! What a bonus this show is. A big well-kept secret.

tenor_key
07-29-2012, 10:02 AM
An instrumental intro based on a subdominant pedal of repeated quavers hails the 1982 return of Randy Meisner to the glory of Billboard charts - since the hit single "Never Been in Love" is also the opener for a successful self-titled album. Over that pedal point, the fluctuations of a four-chord vamp mimic the sweet uncertainty of the early stages of a relationship. Songwriter Craig Bickhardt, to whom this job is a vocation and a mission, exploits all of his skills to magnify the sense of expectation toward the authentic cadence. The effective use of harmonic syncopation, of dynamic accents - enhanced by temporarily doubling the bass line an octave lower - and, finally, of suspended chords, serves well the purpose of intriguing the listener up to the bar between measures 24 and 25, where the chorus starts. There, the G sharp in the singing line, previously functioning as an added pitch, turns into an appoggiatura - an extreme artifice shortly before B major, by asserting its optimistic nature, as brilliant as a chime of bells on Easter day, reveals itself as the tonic key of the song. Quite a memorable moment - not the only one, though. Another spell is cast, for example, after the guitar solo, when the rarefaction of sound material at the incipit of verse three captures the aura of the very dream the lyrics are about to evoke again. Honors to Bickhardt, an ex-Wire and Wood member who also contributed to the soundtrack of the Academy Award-winning movie Tender Mercies and whose works were performed by Ray Charles, B.B. King and Johnny Cash, among others.

Honors to Meisner, too, whose unique talent tailors to itself tunes other artists penned. His signature style encompasses them all, together with the three ones he co-wrote, and makes the audience nearly forget he didn't actually compose the whole LP.
However, the deus ex machina behind this recording is producer/sound engineer Mike Flicker, who involves in the cast of players the majority of the line-up of the Heart band, from the Wilson sisters to Howard Leese to drummer Denny Carmassi. Flicker, a drummer himself, formerly in the teenage band The Zoo (with Leese on lead guitar) had been responsible for Heart's rise to success in 1975. Other noteworthy connections are Flicker's promoting of the first album by Silver Condor (John Corey's group, see infra) and of Fighting Alone, the only 331/3 r.p.m. release of the Dixon House Band - a Seattle-based group, like Heart. The acquaintance between Howard M. Leese (also a luthier and founder of HML Guitars) and Edward Dixon House (who was later to pursue a playwright career) led them to share songwriting credits in 1981* - a prelude to their cooperation on the work we're discussing.

Let us go back to Randy.
After a pyrotechnic debut, he proves capable to explore the dark side of love in a set of three songs, cleverly adapting his phonation to the emotional landscape he is required to depict.
Resentment lingers on, as we discover “Darkness of the Heart”, by former Steely Dan vocalist David Palmer**.
We feel the pangs of “Jealousy”, while listening to its description by Meisner, House & Leese.
And an exhausted truce hangs over “Tonight”, an early creative effort from the Canadian team Adams+Vallance, here ennobled by Randy's interpretative mediation.

Meisner and Dixon House sign my favorite one, strategically placed at the beginning of side two and dealing with a theme that cannot leave indifferent: the call of good ol' days. It includes an effect it pleases me to name "the sound of coup de foudre" - listen and judge for yourself! Title: "Playin' in the Deep End".

For those who don't like first-rate rock'n'roll, there's still a reason not to miss this record: “Strangers”, a 1974 masterpiece by Elton John & Gary Osborne. From a line of this compelling duet with Ann Wilson, a word emerges: “climb”. Not only it applies to the metaphoric, troubled journey of the two characters, but to virtuosity, too. That's mountaineering, indeed, for a voice – to be graded 5.15c!

The human element finds a powerful co-star in the urban background that is given tridimensional vividness by House & Leese on "Still Runnin'", while "Nothing Is Said ('Til the Artist Is Dead)", a Meisner & House song, really delights us, from the message in the title to the amazing ad lib section in the coda.
At this point (end of track #8 / start of track #9) we are deliberately reminded that we're listening to a live studio recording whose one-shot taste certainly represents an added value.
"Doin' It for Delilah" (an archetypical name...) makes our blood run like hell and would leave anyone breathless but our singer. Metronomic precision never sounded so spontaneous in the history of music as it does on Randy's lips - I strongly envision that it never will! The tune comes from the inspiration of the above mentioned John Corey, a former wonder boy in the Sky band and a future key member of Rod Stewart Group, before being hired by Henley+Frey for their live shows.

Corey & House are credited for vocal arrangements. They both - and Leese as well - offer their contribution as supporting performers throughout the album. Such a synergic investment of their qualities is symptomatic of the trust they place in Meisner and his project.

His voice keeps hold of its inimitable charm, intact, be it companion to a bare piano melody or immersed in a profusion of synthesizer sounds, and strings, and brass. Let's just enjoy the wide horizon of his art, always deserving of our wholehearted, our most passionate praise.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
* It happened on Dixon House's solo album Masked Madness, featuring Leese as a multi-instrumentalist and backing vocalist, plus Flicker on percussion and, moreover, two musicians to be found on this release from Randy, too: bassist Tom Erak and sax soloist Phil Kenzie.
** "Dirty Work", sung by Palmer on Steely Dan's first LP, had been successfully covered as a single in 1974 by Canadian band Songbird (who had Leese in their line-up); producer: Mike Flicker - arrangement by Leese & Flicker. Another reminiscence of their Vancouver period...

tenor_key
07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Talbot Davis on talbotdavis.blogspot.com - Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Live albums are admittedly a mixed bag. All too often they feature poor quality sound, tired arrangements of familiar songs, and a longing for the original, "studio" recording. [...] Yet every so often, a song -- or an entire album -- overcomes the genre. What results is a live recording that either improves an existing song or remakes it entirely. So here below are five that in my experience -- and for my tastes -- have done just that:
[...]
1. Take It To The Limit by the Eagles. Speaking of goose bumps, the musical crescendo coupled with Randy Meisner's falsetto at the song's finale gets me every time. I saw and heard this song live at the very first concert I ever went to -- Fort Worth, Texas, 1977 -- and remember the awe Meisner's voice created in the audience. The recording on the Eagles Live album captures the moment almost perfectly. When Glenn Frey says at the end, "Very good, Randy" you've just got to agree.

tenor_key
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by R S Crabb on rscrabb.blogspot.com - Tuesday, July 31, 2012

[Top Ten Of The Week]
[...]
1. Never Been In Love-Randy Meisner 1982 […] In a perfect world this song would still be played on classic rock radio

tenor_key
08-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Poco - Rough Edges, from their gold-selling album "Legacy" (1989). Lead vocals by Randy.

JS12uCuXlJU

tenor_key
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Given the fact your held notes are arrows to infinity,
I'll hitchhike one of them and have a glance
at a time sequence in a distant future
halfway from a new Big Bang to rebirth.

There, mine would glimpse your particles of stardust
rewrite acoustics applied to outer space,
tame darkness with the power of their sound,
dare the void to restore the realm of silence.

tenor_key
08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
The Drivin' Dynamics - So Fine. Randy sings lead.

http://i50.tinypic.com/6xyw7a.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/tenor_key-1/01-so-fine-2#

I wish to express my gratitude to Devil Dick (see devildick.blogspot.com – Monday, November 29, 2010) for the audio file and the picture of the vinyl single I used as a background.

The early recordings of the group are available both as mp3s (for legal download!) and as a CD reissue.

A detailed history can be found on their official site:
http://www.drivindynamics.com/history.html (http://www.drivindynamics.com/history.html)

and a good outline was provided by Jason Ankeny of Rovi Corp. on allmusic.com:
Nebraska garage rock combo the Drivin' Dynamics formed in the state's Gering-Scottbluff area in late 1961. Singer/bassist Randy Meisner, guitarists Larry Soto and Richard Rohnke, and drummer John Ankeny (no relation to the author) made their debut at a private party and within weeks landed a gig in support of Bobby Vee. Throughout 1962 the Drivin' Dynamics appeared regularly at the Henry, NE, dancehall Little Moon Lake. With little competition, they quickly emerged as the region's most popular rock & roll outfit. Rohnke left the lineup in late 1962 to enter the military, prompting the addition of saxophonist Paul Asmus. Soon after, the Drivin' Dynamics self-released their debut four-song EP, featuring the instrumental original "Sidewinder." After a New Year's Eve gig, Ankeny also announced plans to enlist, and upon adding Soto's younger brother Bobby, the group began touring beyond the western Nebraska circuit, promoting their appearances via Oklahoma City's 50,000-watt radio station KOMA. In the wake of Beatlemania, the Drivin' Dynamics updated their repertoire, adding British Invasion covers alongside their traditional R&B staples. They also expanded their roster, recruiting lead guitarist Dave Margheim and pianist Steve Cassells. In mid-1965 the group signed to Ray Ruff's Sully label to cut their second single, "So Fine." The record fared well regionally, and by year's end the Drivin' Dynamics were regularly playing locales as distant as Rapid City, SD, often outdrawing national acts in the process. In February 1966 the Drivin' Dynamics traveled to Denver to compete in a battle of the bands contest, coming in second to local favorites the Soul Survivors. Soon after, Meisner accepted the Soul Survivors' offer to join their ranks and relocated with them to California, where the act renamed itself the Poor. Meisner later resurfaced in the country-rock combo Poco before ascending to multi-platinum success as a member of the Eagles. In the meanwhile, the Drivin' Dynamics returned to Nebraska before going on temporary hiatus. The Soto brothers reunited the band in mid-1967, and while close to three dozen new members rotated through the lineup in the decades to follow, upon their 2000 induction into the Nebraska Music Hall of Fame the group was honored as the longest-running rock act in state history.

tenor_key
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
The Poor. Lead singer: Randy Meisner.

JhESypF-EZ8

Originally published by Michael Stelk - home.netcom.com - Thu 15 Jan 2009?
[Colorado Music Page]
[...]
Soul Survivors - Denver group started in 1965, after the four players minus Day were the Esquires.
John Day---------keyboards
Gene Chalk-----guitar
Pat Shanahan--drums
Allen Kemp------guitar
Bob Raymond---bass
[...]
The Poor
Pat Shanahan---drums
Randy Naylor-----guitar
Randy Meisner--bass
John Day
Veeder Van Dorn
Allen KempFrom G. Brown's Colorado Rocks!: A Half-Century of Music in Colorado - Pruett Publishing Company (July 2004)
"When they lost their bass player, they asked me if I wanted to jump ship and move to Los Angeles with them," Meisner said.
The name of his new band was changed to the Poor. Meisner and lead guitarist Allen Kemp slept on the living room floor of a one-bedroom apartment in East Los Angeles for eighty-five dollars a month. Gigs were few and far between.
"We didn't realize how much competition was out there," Meisner said. "My jacket was my first pillow. We really had nothing at all."Originally published by Torbjörn Orrgård - welcome.to/poco - 06/27/1999?
THE POOR: [...]
The Poor is formed in Denver, Colorado from the ashes of local outfit The Soul Survivors [...]
(1966)

March - The group moves to Los Angeles, where it rents a small apartment in Laurel Canyon. Working briefly as The North Serrano Blues Band, the group quickly settles on the more appropriate name, The Poor (a reflection of their current financial situation). As a result the band are forced to commute between Denver and L.A. on a regular basis. After one trip back to Denver, Day leaves to make way for Randy Naylor.
November - The Poor sign with the Denver label Loma and release their debut single Once Again (backed by Allen Kemp’s How Many Tears), which is a large regional hit. The single’s success enables them to return to L.A for live work.
(21-26) - The band gains a support slot at The Whisky-A-Go-Go with The Buffalo Springfield.
(1967)

February - The group releases a second single, a Tom Shipley song called She’s Got The Time (She’s Got The Changes) (backed by Randy Naylor’s Love Is Real), which is released on the York label. The single eventually makes the national charts reaching #133.
April (30) - The Poor take part in the ‘Freedom of Expression Concert’ at The Hullabaloo, Hollywood with The Doors, Canned Heat, Clear Light and many others.
May - A Second single on the York label, My Mind Goes High, is released. Sometime afterwards, Naylor drops out (he later forms a country and western band) and is replaced by Veeder Van Dorn from Denver group The Moonrakers.
(1968)

May (8) - The group’s final single, Randy Meisner’s Come Back Baby (backed by Michael Brewer’s Feelin’ Down), on the Decca label, is issued. The group minus Van Dorn decide to remain in Los Angeles, where they share a house in Sherman Oaks.
August - Meisner leaves to join Colorado friends Rusty Young and George Grantham in Pogo, which soon becomes Poco.
(1969)

February - After helping Poco cut its debut album Pickin’ Up The Pieces, Meisner leaves the group to reunite with Kemp and Shanahan in Rick Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band. Meisner later becomes a founder member of The Eagles in 1971, while Kemp and Shanahan join The New Riders of the Purple Sage.
SOURCES: [...]
copyright © Nicholas Warburton June 1999 See also this noteworthy CD review:
http://www.gullbuy.com/buy/2003/9_9/poor.php

Lution
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
That was a trip listening to that Drivin Dynamics record. :) Larry Soto still gigs around here with the band. I engineered at his local studio while I was in high school. My first band ever I formed it with Bobby Soto's son, Kevin, also a fine drummer and singer. We used to all hang out together and jam. Lots of musical soup always brewing in this desolate part of the state.

tenor_key
08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
That was a trip listening to that Drivin Dynamics record. :) Larry Soto still gigs around here with the band. I engineered at his local studio while I was in high school. My first band ever I formed it with Bobby Soto's son, Kevin, also a fine drummer and singer. We used to all hang out together and jam. Lots of musical soup always brewing in this desolate part of the state.
There's nothing like first-hand History! Thanks for sharing!

tenor_key
08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Metal Marc on vhlinks.com - 08.09.12
As of this moment, I am totally addicted to two things:
[...]
2. Desperado, The Eagles - the song is great, but the album is even better. This was the Eagles' second album and it's based on the infamous Dalton Gang. Fantastic! Watch the video below and skip right to 13:01 to hear Randy Meisner on lead vocals on "Certain Kind Of Fool".
[embedded video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vzIotoPx4

Lution
08-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Metal Marc on vhlinks.com - 08.09.12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vzIotoPx4

excellent!

tenor_key
08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
I remember The Stone Canyon Band but, in Australia, we really were only exposed to Garden Party Good point, chanel. Your remark implies a given: when Garden Party was released, Randy was no longer a member of Stone Canyon Band. The album, though, features his contribution as a songwriter. Enjoy "I Wanna Be With You", penned with Allen Kemp. Don't miss the picture of Rick and Randy rehearsing (1:04-1:11).

IKSqgMS4Dlk

tenor_key
08-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BurritoBass on basschat.co.uk - 10 January 2010:I think he is a really tasty player too. Some lovely basslines and to do great harmonies on top. Respect! Originally posted by Wateroftyne on basschat.co.uk - 10 January 2010:Great player! Originally posted by Faceman on basschat.co.uk - 12 January 2010:His tone on Hotel California live is fantastic Originally posted by wateroftyne on basschat.co.uk - 12 January 2010:I must say, it's nice to see such Randy love. He deserves it. Hooray for Randy love!
Have we done Randy's finest bass moments?
Here's mine, in no particular order:
1. Too Many Hands
2. Midnight Flyer
3. You Never Cry Like a Lover Originally posted by steelman on basschat.co.uk - 12 January 2010:I'm a big Randy fan! Lovely lad. Great high register harmonies

They were discussing Randy's choice of bass guitars. Curious? Follow the link!
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73102-what-bass-did-randy-meisner-play-in-the-eagles/

tenor_key
08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I played in a couple of bands with Randy's son, Dana, in the early 90s. Dana plays the drums and is a monster player. Tremendous talent.
I hereby confirm that your opinion is unbiased by personal friendship! :)
I ran into this statement, originally posted by Myvryn on alt.music.kiss - Nov 8 2001:[...]the son of Eagle's Bass Player Randy Meisner, Dana (who is the best non-signed drummer I've ever heard in my life)[...]

tenor_key
08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Steve on stevenmaginnis.blogspot.com - Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 9:01 PM
[about the Eagles' album On the Border]

[...] it was still in their country leanings where they made their tightest, most cohesive music, particularly on "Midnight Flyer," [...]

[...] there's a nice gem here in bassist Randy Meisner's "Is It True?" that's worth seeking out. [...]

tenor_key
08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Randy on bass on James Taylor's “Country Road” from the 1970 Sweet Baby James album, a song later to be included both in his first Greatest Hits collection and in his Best Of (which features the Top 40-single version). As guitarists will notice, it's in dropped-D tuning.

UTmSxbm5i5M

From David Browne's Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970 (Da Capo Press, 2011):
By the first week of December [1969], Taylor was [...] at Sunset Sound, a studio on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. [...] he was eager to put his new batch of songs to tape. Joining him were [guitarist Danny] Kortchmar—who, at twenty-three, was two years older than his friend—and, on piano, a twenty-seven-year-old Brooklyn-raised songwriter named Carole King Goffin. Each was experienced at making music, from the string of Brill Building hits King had cowritten to Kortchmar's tenure in underground bands in New York as well as one with King in L.A. The drummer was Russell Kunkel, a lanky kid from Pittsburgh only three years out of high school. Between two and six P.M. on December 8, the three of them—augmented by Randy Meisner, a bass player who'd briefly been a member of Poco, the country-leaning offshoot of Buffalo Springfield—efficiently cut three songs: “Blossom,” “Country Road,” and “Lo and Behold.”

Lution
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I hereby confirm that your opinion is unbiased by personal friendship! :)
I ran into this statement, originally posted by Myvryn on alt.music.kiss - Nov 8 2001:

Thank you for that. :) Dana was and still is amazing. His drum solos at our performances back then were the highlight of our shows.

tenor_key
08-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Red on atrl.net - Yesterday, 1:28 PM
[about Hotel California - thread: ATRL's Top 100 Songs of the 20th Century (10-8)]

[...] The proud bass of Randy Meisner, [...]P.S. Red might be from the UK; thus, in a rare usage, "proud" could stand for "prominent" — implying a milder metaphor and providing a nice contrast with the following "smooth" referred to the vocals —
[:) archaism alert !!! :) --->] "the which" misunderstanding would compel me to beg his or her pardon.
I needed a title for my post (without stealing it from Stevie Ray Vaughan and Marvin Gaye, or blending Jane Austen with a couple of popular brands of ale)! :)

tenor_key
08-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by music4life on stevehoffman.tv - 02-29-2008
[thread: Best Shows You've Seen in a Club Setting]

Randy Meisner at the Park West in Chicago, 1980

tenor_key
09-02-2012, 12:19 PM
:huh MYSTERY LOCATION :huh

It wasn't Ebbets Field, as erroneously reported elsewhere. It was Rainbow Music Hall.

http://i50.tinypic.com/apgv1s.jpg
Ebbets Field named after the famed Brooklyn Dodgers ballpark was a small club in the early to late 70's located on 1020 15th street in Denver Colorado. It held 238 people which made for an intimate setting between performer and audience. [...] Most of the Ebbets shows were broadcast on station KDPI and KFML in Denver [source: Cliff on angelfire.com - date: unknown].

Several years after Ebbetts Field ended its glorious run in 1976, concert promoters Barry Fey and Chuck Morris were looking for a new, bigger room. They finally decided on a location at Monaco and Evans in Southeast Denver and named their new 1,300-seat venue the Rainbow Music Hall. The Rainbow started life as a three-screen movie theater; Fey tore down the walls between the screens to make one large and oddly shaped concert venue where no seat was more than 70 feet from the stage [source: Sporkmeister on twistedspork.blogspot.com - July 18, 2009].

Rainbow Music Hall opened in 1979 with Jerry Jeff Walker, and closed in 1988 with Warren Zevon after hosting some 1,000 performances. Rainbow Music Hall was all about great musicians and an intimate connection with audiences [...] The musicians were the best in the world with an incredible sound and light system complementing the performances. [...] a building far from an architectural gem - took on a new life when the music started [source: Kim Allen on denverphotoarchives.com - Wedensday, August 1st, 2009].

There are four things that made the Rainbow Music Hall one of the greatest venues of all time. 1. Dave McKay - 2. The Bands - 3. A stadium PA in a 1000 seater hall - 4. The Audience.
[...] It was Dave McKay, who booked the Rainbow Music Hall and created the events that entertained so many of us. [...] he had an extra level kindness, and humanity that most concert promoters lack. [...] The sheer volume and power of the PA was astonishing, you couldn't leave the rainbow without your ears ringing for days. [...] But the very best thing about the Rainbow was the people who went there [...] I think the Rainbow Music hall was the last time it was really about the fans [source: Michael Lustig on newwave.50megs.com - Feb 1st, 2008(?)].:band
LINE-UP & TRIVIA

The Silverados:

STERLING SMITH keyboards [majored in harpsichord at Ohio State University and played harpsichord on The Beach Boys' "Lady Lynda" - album version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzd4D9ndtok - more at http://www.hodads.com (http://www.hodads.com/) (click on the "Who? What?" button); about his band The Load (w/ brother Tommy), see http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1497]

BRYAN GAROFALO bass [first group: Things To Come, w/ drummer Russ Kunkel, later to appear on James Taylor's second LP w/ Randy; for an overview of his impressive pre-Silverados career, have a look at http://bitemyfoot.org.uk/omaha/or12/or12_07.html - a 1976 interview really worth reading]

CRAIG KRAMPF drums [a.k.a. Craig Robb on Dick Clark's show Where the Action Is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robbs; co-wrote "I'll Be Here Where the Heart Is" on the Flashdance soundtrack - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Krampf; his personal website provides a three-page bio]

THERESA HESTON vocals [co-wrote an album with Colleen Stewart http://www.facebook.com/colleen.stewart.56, former pupil of Billie Holiday's pianist; see http://www.stewartconnection.com/biography.html; also mentioned on site http://www.copyrightencyclopedia.com, but her name is misspelled]

DON FRANCISCO percussion, vocals [drummer for Crowfoot on their second album - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowfoot_(band) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowfoot_%28band%29); ex-member of Danny Douma's Big Wha-Koo band w/ David Palmer - more at http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BIGwhakoo.htm]

CRAIG HULL guitars http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/billy_steinberg/[/URL]; guitarist for Kim Carnes on "Bette Davis' Eyes" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Thermal]

[B]:omg I SCRAMBLED THE SETLIST :omg

- from his Eagles' repertoire: #3 Take It to the Limit - #4 Try and Love Again - #6 Too Many Hands
- from Randy Meisner (1978): #1 Badman - #9 Lonesome Cowgirl
- from One More Song: #2 Gotta Get Away - #5 Come On Back to Me - #7 I Need You Bad - #8 Trouble Ahead - #10 Hearts On Fire - #11 Deep Inside My Heart

:bow THREE OF MANY HIGHLIGHTS :bow

- the arrangement of "I Need You Bad"
- the treatment of guitar solos
- Randy addressing the audience: a natural-born entertainer

chanel
09-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Boy, where do you find all of this information, tenor? We don't know half these things in Australia.

tenor_key
09-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr Larrington on automatic-diary.blogspot.com - September 21st-22nd, 2011 Finally into Scottsbluff. [...] Did you know that Eagles bassist Randy Meisner hails from here? Well, he does. http://i50.tinypic.com/2v2dzww.jpg

[photo by Mr Larrington]

Originally posted by Berryhauler on his talkbass.com profile page (06-11-2012?) ["Influences and Teachers" section]
Classic country sound, Randy Meisner (Eagles), some bluegrass.°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
P.S.
Boy, where do you find all of this information, tenor?I guess my broadband connection gets tired of me and voluntarily surrenders the info! :D

tenor_key
09-09-2012, 07:51 PM
To my knowledge, this is the earliest available digital message about Randy, dating back to the esoteric debut of Internet socializing.

Originally posted by Bill Mitchell on net.music - Sun, Oct 28 1984 7:28 am[Subject: Looking for a title]

[...] I heard a piece of a song that I liked but I was unable to find out what the title was. This has caused an incompleteness in my existence and I'm hoping that somebody that reads this group can help me out. The phrase that really sticks in my mind goes something like:

And deep (and deep) inside (inside) my heart,
I had a feeling right from the start
You didn't want me like I wanted you. [...]
For the record, Bill got his answer some sixty minutes later. A precocious IT talent who in his mid-twenties was already a published author, he is now a valued research programmer with the University of Arizona computer science department.

:) WHO CARES? :)
I'm married to an IT pro, ten years my junior. Cupid took the form of a Usenet newsgroup about anime (Japanese cartoons).

chanel
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm wondering if those words are a reflection of Randy's experience with Eagles? There seem to be a few casualties associated with that particular musical institution? :] Just sayin' Wish he was still playing with them - I miss his mellow bass lines. Do you says 'lines' in music? :]. Keep listening to Poco's Call It Love
because I really enjoy Randy's work there. Such a wasted talent - this good man!

tenor_key
09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JamVet on blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog - August 31st, 2012Earlier this year, after not having heard it for forty years, I rediscovered this stunning song and was completely blown away by the awful, simple beauty of it. And I was at a place in my life then when it hit me right smack in the heart.

Scottsbluff’s Randy Meisner sings lead…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5dJEjDwHo
°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°
P.S.
Keep listening to Poco's Call It Love because I really enjoy Randy's work there.
Speak of "Call It Love" and the official video clip "doth" appear!
Watch for a man in a white shirt, playing a four-stringed instrument... :)

_Uqyn0BTPK0

tenor_key
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Elmer "tod3" on Amazon.com - October 10, 2005
CD's like "Dallas" will cause future rock fans and rock historians to rethink just what an impact Randy had on popular music and the Eagles.WHERE?

http://i47.tinypic.com/fcmx37.jpg

[source: Carolf on srvofficial.com - Friday, March 16, 2012]
I was a waitress at Nick's Uptown in Dallas from 1981-1983. What an awesome time!

[source: Dallas Observer, Thursday, Mar 13 1997 - author: Tim Schuller]
[...] history records this period as the start of Dallas' "boom years"[...] The crowds were all up the street, packing Nick's Uptown

[source: D Magazine, various issues (1981-1982)]
Nick's is the ideal place to cut loose and have a wild time. The club is reminiscent of a huge rec room (it used to be a grocery store) [...] Nick's follows in the tradition of a true nightclub: one enormous smoke-filled room dotted with tables, a raised stage in one corner, and a bar running practically the length of the room on the opposite side. [...] Behind the Venetian blinds at Nick's Uptown, you'll find an unlikely (but likable) melange of attempted hi-tech and Fifties drugstore decor. The mostly 30ish crowd is drawn by solid acts [...]

[source: Tim Allis in D Magazine, 12.01.1982]
This attractive showroom on lower Greenville spotlights both popular regional and national groups. Sometimes jazz, sometimes progressive country, frequently rock 'n' roll, the music at Nick's is quality stuff

[source: Texas Monthly/December 1982]
Nick's Uptown, 3606 Greenville (827- 4802). The premiere concert hall of baja Greenville Avenue is as dark as it is loud. If you can't spring for the cover, you can probably hear all you want from the sidewalk a block away. There is quality music every night, including several of the best regional bands and frequent national acts. Rock, jazz, blues, and reggae are offered, and many of the performers do not appear anywhere else in Dallas. Entertainment starts about 9:30.In February, 1984, Texas Monthly spread the following news: "Responding to the audience-wooing extravagances of nearby competitors, Nick's has undergone a complete face-lift. There is now better lighting, a larger dance floor, and another bar. Spiffier dressing rooms will accommodate bigger musical egos."
Here's what Tim Allis had to report in the March 1984 issue of D Magazine: "If the Dallas music scene is on the brink, two clubs in particular have pushed it there: Nick's, formerly Nick's Uptown, the Lower Greenville showroom [...] and Tango [...]. [...] at press time, Nick's owner John Kenyon had filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 because of heavy debts."
And Texas Monthly, in 1985, commented: "The Phoenix rising from the commingled ashes of Tango and Nick's Uptown is more like a sparrow: the name and the neon portal are about as good as it gets."
Nick's was bound to become, in chronological order:

- Fast and Cool Club
- Fish Dance
- Red Jacket
- National Sports Lounge.

WHO?

JOHN COREY (credited as John Coury) on guitars and vocals [Legend has it that while still in preschool he already knew his way around a guitar and a piano. A teenage recording artist for RCA w/ Sky, he had Doug Fieger - later of The Knack - as a band-mate. He also wrote Silver Condor's 1981 Top 20 hit "You Could Take My Heart Away Tonight". See http://www.rodstewartfanclub.com/about_rod/tour/tour1986.php. On Rod Stewart's album Every Beat of My Heart he played electric sitar, too.]

DIXON HOUSE on keyboards and vocals [Check http://rcmpsite.com/index.php?bandid=21489&band_action=info&ia=1 where Ken (KG) Williams (bassist and occasionally keyboardist and sax player for Ted D. House's eponymous group a.k.a. Moonshine) rewinds and plays back the tape of memories from the two summers of their youth they spent performing aboard British Columbia ferries to the Japanese success of Ted's mature years - presenting us with bits of history of Canadian recording industry and finally praising his friend as "one of Victoria's best ever singers."]

TOM ERAK on bass guitar and vocals [An accomplished vocalist, he plays piano and guitar, too. He supported the tours of Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart and Dan Fogelberg. Ex-member of Seattle area outfits such as Push http://pnwbands.com/push.html and Burgundy Express. His present band is called Just Released (http://justreleased1.com/OUR__BAND_PHOTOS.html). Father of musician Thomas Erak, formerly of The Fall of Troy.]

STERLING SMITH on keyboards and vocals [Do yourself a favor: launch an advanced Google search, setting the string of characters "Sterling Smith" to be found within site http://www.buckeyebeat.com - a little effort that you won't repent of. You'll trace back the roots of his playing to Lowbrows, J.D. Blackfoot, Osiris and Grapys, enjoying vintage photos along the way, plus the brochure of Owl Recording Studios, Inc., whose adventure he participated in. And the aforementioned site also celebrates the musicianship of his brothers - what a family!]

STAN KIPPER on drums [Stanley Kipper spent some 20 years in L. A., collaborating with outstanding artists. An award-winning composer and a vocalist, he has played drums with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and Don Sugarcane Harris. Ridley Scott's renowned ad for Pioneer involved him as a musician. He starred in the Guthrie Theatre's television ad campaign for "A Christmas Carol" impersonating Bob Marley. He has brilliantly covered Dylan w/ Bob's original "Blood on the Tracks" band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNgoo27o8I. Longtime member of Gypsy. His current act, the New Primitives, have been acknowledged thrice as Minnesota's Best Reggae Band/Best Artist. See New Primitive History by Diana Olson at http://www.rarwriter.com/LinksMINN.htm.]

BUFORD JONES on acoustic guitar on Strangers [Sound engineer Buford M. Jones specialized in Electronics at El Centro College in Dallas, where he earned a Science Degree in May 1970. Since 1975, he has owned and managed Trax Recording Studios. Recorded/Mixed & Produced Randy Meisner's "Dallas" Album-1984 [sic] (Japanese Release Only). More at http://bufordjones.com/resume.html.]

WHAT?

- from his Eagles' repertoire: #5 Try and Love Again, #10 & #11 Take It to the Limit*
- from Randy Meisner (1978): #1 Lonesome Cowgirl
- from One More Song: #4 Gotta Get Away, #7 I Need You Bad, #8 Hearts On Fire
- from Randy Meisner (1982): #2 Jealousy, #3 Strangers, #6 Tonight, #9 Darkness of the Heart

*Track #11 mixed by Dreamsville Crew - Tokyo

HOW?

[source: Darren Hirst in Natural Progressions magazine, 2004 and 2009]
A live album "Dallas" was marketed in Japan only and even there became something of a collector's item. [...] "Dallas" which had never been on cd commercially and was changing hands for big sums in its vinyl and radio show formats [...] was released first on "Dreamsville Records" [...] back in 1983 [...] on good old black vinyl [...] When Randy started releasing some stuff from his vaults through his friend Joey Stec on Joey’s label “Sonic Past Music”, “Dallas” was one of the first ones to appear [in 2002]. Since then it [...] has appeared under various titles - all with the word "Dallas" somewhere on the cover - on various labels. It [...] was originally recorded for a syndicated radio show called "Randy Meisner - Captured Live" [...] twice the length of the recording which Epic / CBS took the option on for the Japanese release.

[source: Billboard, February 12th, 1983]
At Omega Audio in Dallas, Randy Meisner used Omega Audio's 24-track remote unit to cut a live date at Nick's Uptown. Engineering the project is Buford Jones. Meisner is producing along with Robert Joyce.http://i46.tinypic.com/4jxtaw.jpg

Two songs from the radio show which haven't been released on the album (Nothing Is Said 'Til the Artist Is Dead and Doin' It for Delilah) can be found at http://www.randymeisneronline.com/downloads/multimedialiveaudio.htm

WHEN???

[source: eaglesfans.***********.com]
Recorded on December 1, 1982

[source: geocities.jp]
RECORDED LIVE ON DECEMBER 2, 1982

[source: Editorial Review on Amazon.com]
Recorded over two nights in Dallas

[source: eaglesonlinecentral.com]
December 1 [...] (first night)
December 2 [...] (second night)

[source: spoken audio from the CD, at the beginning of track #1]
[...] Welcome to part two [...] It's Thursday night, Friday morning, whatever you have.December 2nd, 1982 was a Thursday.

PAY ATTENTION TO...

- "Strangers": the well-known duet turns into an impressive solo
- the use of keyboards
- an audio quality almost unbelievable for a live recording.

tenor_key
10-07-2012, 05:02 AM
"Turkey" is a charming word. Sixteenth century England chose its lowercase version - a generic label of exoticism - to designate an American bird now strongly evocative of Thanksgiving menus, but if you capitalize its initial, the two syllables breathe Eurasian history and art.
They tell us about rival ancient tribes, and of colors matched to cardinal directions (black is for north, hence, obviously, the Black Sea);
shade light on the Byzantine Christ in mandorla embellishing the Chora Parekklesion;
make us meet infamous Crusaders sacking Constantinople (come back to life from 1204),
and witness Schliemann excavating Hissarlik in search of Troy, comforted by his favorite pale ale;
allow a glance at Mustafa Kemal fathering both a people and its alphabet - modified latin with diacritic signs - freeing eight vocalic sounds from an old script forgetful of short vowels;
introduce us to amazing folk music (here Topic Records World Series gives a hand :)), etc.

All of which shifted from the proscenium to the backstage of my mind when I stumbled upon the flattering contents of a blog hosted by a Turkish server. That made room for one big thought: "Someone in Turkey digs our Randy, too!"

http://i46.tinypic.com/29bhcgg.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1zbz4ms.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/27y4f21.jpg

As I discovered later, that blogger's voice echoed another one... from India!

Originally posted by DJ on djsmusicsongs.blogspot.com - Mar 29th, 2012Top 100 Country Rock Songs List :
[...]
03. Ain't Gonna Take It - Randy Meisner
[...]
Some songs are album cuts and were never released as singles, but were influential and inspiring in the evolution of Country Rock.Didn't you know he's a worldwide phenomenon? :)

Speaking of India, I've been a Bollywood fan since 1992 - that is, long before it became fashionable in Western countries. Amitabh Bachchan is a living legend, and among younger stars I prefer Aamir Khan.

Lution
10-07-2012, 11:00 AM
"Turkey" is a charming word. Sixteenth century England chose its lowercase version - a generic label of exoticism - to designate an American bird now strongly evocative of Thanksgiving menus, but if you capitalize its initial, the two syllables breathe Eurasian history and art.
They tell us about rival ancient tribes, and of colors matched to cardinal directions (black is for north, hence, obviously, the Black Sea);
shade light on the Byzantine Christ in mandorla embellishing the Chora Parekklesion;
make us meet infamous Crusaders sacking Constantinople (come back to life from 1204),
and witness Schliemann excavating Hissarlik in search of Troy, comforted by his favorite pale ale;
allow a glance at Mustafa Kemal fathering both a people and its alphabet - modified latin with diacritic signs - freeing eight vocalic sounds from an old script forgetful of short vowels;
introduce us to amazing folk music (here Topic Records World Series gives a hand :)), etc.

All of which shifted from the proscenium to the backstage of my mind when I stumbled upon the flattering contents of a blog hosted by a Turkish server. That made room for one big thought: "Someone in Turkey digs our Randy, too!"

http://i46.tinypic.com/29bhcgg.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1zbz4ms.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/27y4f21.jpg

As I discovered later, that blogger's voice echoed another one... from India!

Originally posted by DJ on djsmusicsongs.blogspot.com - Mar 29th, 2012Didn't you know he's a worldwide phenomenon? :)

Speaking of India, I've been a Bollywood fan since 1992 - that is, long before it became fashionable in Western countries. Amitabh Bachchan is a living legend, and among younger stars I prefer Aamir Khan.

Wow! way cool!

tenor_key
10-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by an unregistered user on anonboard.com - 9/11/2012 - 5:11 am[thread "Who would you pay more money to see: the Doobie Bros or the Eagles?"]

Both were great 70s bands. Eagles in the RRHOF; Doobies deserve to be. For me and my money, I'd take the Eagles on one condition: Randy Meisner is playing bass and singing lead on Take It to the Limit. As unlikely to come true as the Xanthos River's waters
flowing backwards to their source*,
such a wish is worth a fortune. It's worth everything, indeed.
But each of Randy's songs in our souls planted a seed
by now grown into a forest: an unlimited resource
of dreams we dream for free.

tenor_key
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim Harrington* on mercurynews.com - 10/23/2012Here are my top 10 Halloween songs. [...]
5 “Witchy Woman,” Eagles (1972) [...] it’s Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner’s harmony work that really makes this track so bewitching.

Originally posted by OldDog52 on talkbass.com - 10-23-2012[...] I loved how Randy Meisner's bass was mixed so up front in the early Eagles albums. [...] Take out that 1 instrument and you only have 1/2 a song, if that._____________________________
*Music critic for Oakland Tribune

tenor_key
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
An unforgettable tune off Randy's 2004 studio album "Love Me or Leave Me Alone".

s7Sv1bkAsNo

tenor_key
10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
[about Midnight Rain lyrics* - see previous post]

I can almost hear Irving, Hawthorne and all the ones that followed, saying "Way to go, Randy!". :)
The teenage dad may well have quit high school before his time, due to family reasons; assuredly, he caught up.

He voices fascinating shades of English, proving - never displaying - his utmost competence. Figures of speech surround him like whimsical goddesses eager to be chosen; he picks, in turn, cataphora, metaphor, simile, personification, whatever else he needs.
We already knew him as a natural born musician, but rhythm patterns here mingle with text in a symbiotic manner. So, it's a challenge to tell which generates which.

That's Poetry, folks, talking to Mankind! A soul that bled for a miscarried first love could belong to any of us. It is a house quietly haunted, until a sound or sight causes a secret compartment to open, like a device built in some antique writing desk. A forlorn landscape with sparks in the ashes.

Such a suspended delusion takes revenge through the dualism of Randy's vocal texture.
No chance that we protect the dark side of our heart. Its screen of thin indifference - the best we can provide - will suffer fatal scratches by that weapon in disguise.
Cane sugar on sandpaper? A lancet dripping honey? It dwells deeper and deeper in our inner forgotten ability to care, awaiting the right moment to inflict those virtual wounds that hurt just to remind we're breathing on this Earth and live to learn to love.

tenor_key
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeff on wcr.com - September 07, 2005 [Subject: Poco recordings at the Troubadour with Randy singing lead?!?!]

i hate to bring this old Meisner/Poco topic up here on WCR's forum, but nobody else seems to have any answers to this issue.. I'm hoping someone here, or perhaps even Randy himself, will be able to direct me towards someone or something that might help me track down and obtain a copy of a live 1969 recording of Poco from the Troubador that is described in this 1980 magazine article:

[("Ex-Eagle Randy Meisner: Flies High Solo", Dave Zimmer, BAM, Nov 7, 80). Zimmer interviewed Meisner and states "Meisner... [included] some outside material on One More Song, namely Richie Furay's 'Anyway Bye Bye' (which Randy relearned from a tape of himself singing the song with Poco at the Troubadour in '69)...."]

tenor_key
11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Nested inside the aforementioned article, a rare Meisner interview is still available thanks to the WayBack Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020214232432/http://members.aol.com/egles76/BAM80.htm

True fans will like it. Casual readers are likely to become fans. :)

tenor_key
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Call'em background vocals, if you wish - that's co-lead singing to me! :)

aA1qOgfnUFM

Originally posted by Mike Goldstein on rockpopgallery.blogspot.com - May 4, 2010In the words of the artist, Dave McMacken (interviewed late March/early April, 2010) -

After getting out of the Art Center College of Design in LA in 1967, I joined up with Craig Butler, Art Snyder and Patti Mitsui to form a design studio called "The Institute For Better Vision". We specialized in rock music and film projects and did a number of projects together including Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde for The Byrds, Pickin' Up The Pieces for Poco and, finally, all of the promo graphics - including the record cover, billboards, movie poster and whatever - for Frank Zappa.I wonder whether the "beta release" of the cover is still in their possession... However nice the dog may be, I bet Randy looked cuter!

chanel
11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
@167 agreed. I'd only take Eagles if Randy were along. He always added his special kind of magic. And 168 - can you imagine the Eagles without Randy? Never. Would they have been quite as successful and popular without the contributions of Randy and Bernie? I don't think so! :]

tenor_key
11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Jason Odd on steelguitarforum.com - June 9th, 2005[Topic: Eagles on NBC]

Geez, I don't listen to anything post-Randy Meisner [...]I did. I even liked something - e.g. the lyrics to The Sad Café, the song about the Troubadour which seals The Long Run (and I respect Timmy Schmit both for his professional achievements and for his speech at the R&R HoF induction ceremony).

My ears led quite a life, back in the day. :)

The sample playlist of an average afternoon might have included: Swedish folk music for solo violin (something that would have suited Bartók's ethnomusicological zeal); Spanish Caravan by The Doors [who remind me about Huxley: how I like Brave New World!]; a bit of Jaco w/ Weather Report; Purcell's Dido and Aeneas ouverture; some Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis; 16-year-old Mahler's Quartettsatz; a song or two by Police or Bob Marley; the Variations from Tartini Sonata "Lascia ch'io dica addio"; a Dinah Washington tune; Music From The Time Of The Crusades; last but not least, the myths of country rock.

I guess my problem was an aural horror vacui -- a vacuum to be filled with the equivalent in sounds of the brush strokes that used to crowd Attersee views by Klimt.

After clamor came silence. I needed a rest. But... maybe due to a selective attitude distilled from that “experience overload”, maybe to an instinct akin to the atavistic reflexes of the cerebral cortex, over my canvas by now washed white anew I still see Randy, my all-time favorite musician and the greatest male vocalist ever; the female one is Lady Day of the late Thirties, with a Gershwin brothers' classic on her lips, and Lester Young never too far away.
All, of course, In My Humble Opinion. :) WHO CARES? :)

tenor_key
11-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Danny Coleman on trentonian.com - 11/16/12 05:11 pm

[from Rock On with Danny Coleman’s weekly music picks]

Recently I spoke with Felder [...] The following is part of our conversation:
[...]
Felder: [...] Randy (Meisner) is great

tenor_key
11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
He was great with Ricky Nelson (and along with John Boylan, helped Rick take a great creative turn), a pioneer of country rock, a signature voice, solid, unheralded bass player, awesome with Poco, wrote classic tunes with the Eagles and is the best thing to come out of Scottsbluff, NE.
[...]
and here is "tryin" from 73It was wonderful of getbent to post that link, in the early days of this thread. I just uploaded the track to Soundcloud for TGPers' convenience.

The Eagles at Berkeley Community Theater on 6/16/73. Tryin' sounds like you never heard it before.

http://soundcloud.com/tenor_key/tryinberkeley73

tenor_key
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
J. A. Bartlett commented as follows about the Popgala video for "How Long" - which hadn't yet been forcibly removed from YouTube (his statements fit the Berkeley audio recording like a glove):[source: wnew.radio.com - 11/16/2011 - "Rock Flashback"]

Written by J. D. Souther, “How Long” had been part of the Eagles’ set lists in the early ’70s, although the band never recorded it then. (Souther did, however, on his first solo album.)
[...]
What made the [...] remake of “How Long” interesting [...] was the rare trading of verses [...]. On this vintage version from the 1970s, Randy Meisner takes one, too.http://soundcloud.com/tenor_key/howlongberkeley73

YouTube still features JD's solo version - worth checking out.

tenor_key
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
That's how Poco fans call themselves. They're brilliant music connoisseurs who upload generously...

Two excerpts from reviews of a then-Pogo gig (February, 1969):[source: "Deliverin' - The Poco Live Concert Database"]

FURAY'S POGO AT TROUBADOUR
By Michael Etchison
Los Angeles Herald-Examiner

Pogo is not quite the house band of the Troubadour; it only seems that way. Most clubs should have a house band that good. [...] The high point of the set I saw was bassist Randy Meisner's singing of "Anyway Bye Bye," [...]

ROOT MUSIC
By Pete Senoff
Open City

[...] the group is a great rock unit employing country-western influences. [...] Pogo, led by Richie Furay and Randy Meisner ran up to the stage [...] Their flowing harmonies [...] came over perfectly.

Two rare Japanese flyers [source: poconut.jp]:

-- introducing the 1990 Legacy tour [OP: ohana kamakame];

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cehi8m.jpg

-- illustrating the line-up for the 1991 concerts: Meisner-Young-Messina w/ Bernie Leadon (mistranscribed as http://i49.tinypic.com/15cd7w4.jpg instead of "redon") as a special guest star for the encore [OP: kaba_yan].

http://i50.tinypic.com/2v3hl5h.jpg

Randy, Jim and Rusty (from left to right) perform "Follow Your Dreams" in Japan [video courtesy of marisha4sure]. Despite the recording quality, Randy's voice shines through.

DOFV___8Knk

tenor_key
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted on 12/5/2012 - site: felderfans.comThe Eagles will premiere a DVD documentary [...] at the Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2013. The history of the band will be cinematically told in two parts, the first focusing on the early years [...].

Although no longer active Eagles, Don, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner were all interviewed for the film, as well as the “sixth Eagle,” JD Souther.

EdMan57
12-07-2012, 10:47 AM
That's definately on my post Christmas shopping list.Thanks for sharing.

Ed

tenor_key
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
That's definately on my post Christmas shopping list.Thanks for sharing.Glad to be of help, every now and then! :)

Today at lunchtime, while doing last minute shopping, I heard Please Come Home for Christmas on the radio--I mean the Eagles' cover which charted as a single in 1978. Randy wasn't an Eagle anymore. But let us be completists to the bone, by noting in our log his contribution to Black Tie Two, a 2006 three-song EP (to be regarded as a postscript to the enterprises of both "Black Tie" and "Meisner, Swan and Rich") surprising us with Away in a Manger adapted to the voice of Billy Swan.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2m3ogg9.jpg
May my very best wishes encompass all the readers of this thread in a most friendly hug!

tenor_key
12-24-2012, 10:41 PM
"God Bless Randy Meisner and any man who considered family over fame..." - James Brathor

Here are some comments on Meisner's career I randomly collected while trying to face the tide of loving fandom - just returned by my latest query about him - he emerges from as seen by YouTube users. I wish you the best possible Christmas, Randy!NEVER BEEN IN LOVE
- Thanks for this song Randy and thanks for your contibution to the Eagles! - Craig Foster (3 months ago)
- AWESOME is an understatement!!!!!!! [...] Makes my day every time I hear this!! [...] can't get enough of his distinctive style - HardRockKid68 (2 years ago)
- Randy is a class act... - DawgInVegas (2 years ago)
- hope someone can find the video of him performing this on Solid Gold in 82. that posted would be a treat. - snag66 (4 years ago)
- This guy [...] carries notes into next week. Love your work Randy. - xercul22 (4 years ago)
- OMG!! it's too intense to just like!! [...] God bless him!! - leesa2liza (4 years ago)
- [...] this is one of those songs that take you to a different level. [...] A finely crafted song - and the best solo effort by a member of the Eagles. - junkie4vids (4 years ago)

OUTLAW MAN
- best bass song ever - Don Clap (1 month ago)
- listen [...] how to play bass ! - Brownstate (11 months ago)
- oh yeah...killer bass - harpoonhedd (1 year ago)
- BASS GUITAR! - simdrullman (1 year ago)
- one of the best bass solos you will ever hear - Bryant DeBolt (1 year ago)

STRANGERS
- Randy shines on it. Elton John had esp written for him. - nyrichiek (3 years ago)
- Meisner's vocals are awesome - CEC32 (2 years ago)
- Man, I always loved Randy Meisner...the best Eagle voice... - Donna89409 (10 months ago)
- Very unique & powerful. - CoventGardenSinger (2 years ago)

COME ON BACK TO ME
- By all of our postings, Randy must know for sure how crazy we are about his style. Wonderful lyrics, harmony, music. - alexandriabay1 (2 years ago)
- The whole album is great!!!! - eeg1952 (4 years ago)

GOTTA GET AWAY
- I rank this as an all time favorite. - grandprixgtable (1 year ago)
- Randy is as a person the same as his music BEAUTIFUL. So thankful, so blessed to have met him, so proud to have set his stage and so very honored to call him "my friend" [...] - kodiak11755 (1 year ago)
- Thanks for the great song writing Randy! - Steve Zerbst (1 year ago)
- My Dad was a gtr tech for this guy in the late 70's. [...] He said Randy was cool & not caught up in the "star" thang. - farmgurl01 (2 years ago)
- There are only a few songs that really get me a tad "misty eyed", and this is one of them. - Lottoman17 (2 years ago)
- I hope Randy reads these posts so he knows how many people still love him and think about him. The first and best Bass player in the world - eeg1952 (3 years ago)
- This makes me proud to be from Nebraska. Randy is a Nebraska native who never did forget his roots. Thank you Randy for all the great songs and wonderful memories. - moester46 (4 years ago)

TAKE THE DEVIL
- killer song - Doobie1975 (1 month ago)
- Timeless. One of the best songs from the original lineup. - BrandNewMorning (2 years ago)
- Damn right! - Vassilious (2 years ago)

STILL RUNNIN'
- Great song - bagel84568 (10 months ago)
- sensacional - ROBERTVANJOVI (1 year ago)

SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD
- I 've got a complaint with this picture... Randy Meisner isn't there ! - myryckyz (6 months ago)
- Yes, Randy Meisner should be in the photo. He has an awesome voice !!!! - medpro2002 (6 months ago)

THE NATURE OF LOVE
- Whenever Randy Meisner sang, you had no doubt who it was. His voice was that unique, IMHO. - southroncross (2 years ago)
- This is from the Legacy album which had the original line-up that included Randy Meisner, whose vocals are second to none. - CEC32 (5 years ago)

HEART OF GOLD [duet w/ Juice Newton]
- Randy is key vocal to many of the best notes in Eagles classic songs...of course love his Poco work alongside solo work.... - chris francis (6 months ago)

HEARTS ON FIRE
- A sweet sound....a great talent. - ROD WESCOMBE (5 months ago)
- The real Eagle! Randy Meisner you will always be one of my Heroes! - Ruben Victoria (2 months ago)
- His neat smile says a lot about him. - alexandriabay1 (2 months ago)
- Randy Meisner Great talent on vocals and bass. - RockAndRollEvelyn (7 months ago)
- I always liked Randy! He had a lot of cool songs. - hasekdom (1 year ago)
- I once got to meet Randy [...] One of the nicest guys ever [...] Someday his talent will be fully acknowledged. - marywbashara (1 year ago)
- he was the best of the Eagles - heartsonfire38 (2 years ago)
- Fantastic Nebraskan !! - oldstumpcutter (2 years ago)
- Randy Meisner's vocals on "Midnight Flyer" and "Take It To The Limit" are irreplaceable in The Eagles songbook - andyinoregon (3 years ago)
- the Eagles [...] with him they sounded soooo good, his voice comes thru in the background in a lot of songs......like One of These Nights.....Randy Rules!!!!!!!! - woodyinappleton62 (3 years ago)
- [...] that MAN had a knack for composing a song [...] - tommyboy6267 (2 years ago)
- What a talented performer he is - Ramona817 (4 years ago)

LONESOME COWGIRL
- RANDY IS KING! - 59zenitram (5 months ago)

MIDNIGHT RAIN
- Never get tired of Randy [...] The Heart & Soul of the Eagles !!! - HardRockKid68 (2 years ago)

TRY AND LOVE AGAIN
- Randy Raaaaaaaaaaaawks, .. Forever! ))))))) - MsMariaStefano (6 months ago)
- Randy Meisner was the voice of the early "Eagles".[...] Try and Love Again was a fantastic tune as well as Take it To the Limit and others that Randy fronted. I highly doubt that the band would have had a successful start without Meisner's voice. - joevs21001 (10 months ago)
- Randy Meisner, one of the most touching poets that knows how to get into my soul....... - DirkjeA (1 year ago)
- God I love this song. It's wonderful! - suleyman savci (1 year ago)
- This is still is my favorite song off of Hotel. So much passion!!! - montep65 (1 year ago)
- brilliant high soaring voice - tontoropski (1 year ago)
- he just has that something extra - chrisnestor1 (1 year ago)
- I love Randy's voice. So haunting and achy. - mhisalive (1 year ago)
- One of the greatest songs ever written. Thanks. - ironpumper350 (1 year ago)
- such a phenomenal voice - faintofhearts86 (1 year ago)
- possibly the best [...] Eagles song - 1963vintage (1 year ago)
- their best and that's saying a lot - kitboy69 (1 year ago)
- By far the most emotionally gripping song on 'Hotel California'. Amazing, and thanks for sharing. - andersoncouncilpf (2 years ago)
- Haunting lyrics. Strings that stimulate the heart. - greg cervantez (2 years ago)
- something about this song moves and stirs my spirit.... - alfredunhill (2 years ago)
- Randy Meisner is a diamond - angelbix (2 years ago)
- this is fantastic - txdrifter38 (2 years ago)
- excelente Randy Meisner - VIRAGOMX (2 years ago)

AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT
- I love that sound thanx Randy - doctorvox1 (1 year ago)
- Man I ain't belivin' this great talent ......... I'm buying some of his music tomorrow! - BlunerBill123 (1 year ago)
- [...] Randy's mighty heart and soul [...] - goofydog2 (2 years ago)

SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME
- Great song. - raulantonio65 (3 months ago)

DEEP INSIDE MY HEART
- This song STILL rocks.....EXCELLENT upload!!!! - DRUMTOY2002 (2 months ago)

NOTHING TO HIDE
- Another great vocal performance from Randy Meisner. I wish there was a DVD of some of his live performances with Poco, the Eagles and Solo. In my opinion, he was the most soulful singer in the Eagles [...] - hopefulboy1 (1 month ago)
- I always thought this song was awesome and yes that is Randy Meisner singing it, like no other can - n2091m (11 months ago)
- He certainly added much to [...] Pocos songs. - alexandriabay1 (2 years ago)
- I wish Meisner was still making music. - lobo81865 (3 years ago)
- This video would have been a million times better if it just had Randy singing this song on a stage. That's all that was needed, believe me. - Green Crow (3 years ago)
- fabulous - iomegas (4 years ago)
- Awesome ballad sung like only Randy Meisner can. - CEC32 (4 years ago)

TOO MANY HANDS
- probably my favorite eagles song Randy Meisner kicks ass - john doe (8 months ago)
- Some awesome bass flourishes by Randy Meisner. - 999Thunderfingers (9 months ago)

TONIGHT
- simply great - huilnik (1 year ago)

YOU ARE THE WOMAN [by The Roberts Meisner Band]
- Randy Meisner, one of the nicest guys in Country Rock. - rockon1898 (3 years ago)

MIDNIGHT FLYER
- Randy Meisner's voice was made for this song! - mweiford (1 year ago)
- Lead vocal by Randy Meisner and the banjo playing by Bernie Leadon, excellent! - guiness195 (5 years ago)

ONE MORE SONG
- Thanks- yes Jack did write this for Randy who sang it like he wrote it!!! - Jack Tempchin (2 months ago)
- listening to any of randy meisners songs is like opening a book on life experience, jesus he could not only write them but sing them with a deft of clarity and feeling - azzorroww (1 year ago)
- randy meisner was [...] a breath of fresh air to us all [...] - stuart29stuart (8 months ago)
- Talented as hell... - 1stSaintsFan (8 months ago)

TAKE IT EASY [Central Park 1972]
- randy meisner makes this. - bandarna (1 month ago)

TRYIN'
- Randy Meisner YOU ARE A LEGEND! I LOVE U!!!! - Robert Maich (1 year ago)
- Best song on the album. PERIOD!!! - SNMIKE1 (1 year ago)

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT
- I am just plain stunned. Randy Meisner is an Absolute Legend. He has the most amazing voice, and he makes it look easy. - sonya jensen (4 days ago)
- still the best eagles singer of all time - nigel agnew (4 days ago)
- stellar ! - KC0462 (1 week ago)
- Doesn't get any better than this. - 62Bassman1 (1 week ago)
- Wow. I'm shocked this guy was able to pull off those notes live. The talent required to sing like that...AND play bass at the same time?! Unbelievable. - Vincent Hopwood (2 weeks ago)
- Perfection......this is how it's done - raiderbri (2 weeks ago)
- There are few people tougher on live music than I. I'm not a huge live fan. But to say that this guy nailed it is an understatement. I got chills when I first heard this. - joseph mccann (2 weeks ago)
- I saw this tour in '77. You can't hear it here but when Randy hit the last high falsetto note the crowd went wild. - Tick Bryan (3 weeks ago)
- Always did i saw that tour also. After the song they were given a 5 minute standing ovation Meisner was crying on stage. If you listen to the live track on the Eagles Live cd You can hear Walsh in awe of Randy. - nyrichiek (2 days ago)
- I agree. his vocals are absolutely flawless!! - Ms70sFlowerchild (1 month ago)
- Randy's song, Is It True? off On The Border, is splendid. - mezzetin1 (1 month ago)
- I heard this again today on Johnny Walker's "Sounds of the 70s" and it reminded me how much I loved this sound but "this sound" is uniquely Randy Meisner. - una mckillen (2 months ago)
- My friends and I were lucky to see Randy both with Poco, the Eagles, and when he toured with Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band. He had the voice of an angel and absolutely made the bands as excellent as they were. Plus he was easy on the eyes! We'd not trade those moments for anything - what a fun time and wonderful music was exploding all around us! - Jaynee Harpe (2 months ago)
- The true Eagles fans will always remember that Randy with his great backup and lead vocals made the band truly awesome and when he sang this song live he had the Forum shaking.Thank You Randy!!! - 2001jmar (2 months ago)
- a major talent - una mckillen (3 months ago)
- blows me away every time i hear this song. - bennyv69 (4 months ago)
- What a vocal performance here. Absolutely stellar. - bloodthirst72 (4 months ago)
- It's so awesome to see musical history as it was made. - webisutton01 (4 months ago)
- He brought the magic to it. - DoubleVisionandco (5 months ago)
- Randy, you are missed! - drumplayer84 (5 months ago)
- Randy rules...that is all. - RedCrabSC (5 months ago)
- The high notes add the soul to the ending. Absolutely insanely amazing. - Praxxus55712 (6 months ago)
- Randy Meisner blows the doors off this song...he does it in Try and Love Again as well, but this one is epic! - JohnnyCxviii (6 months ago)
- Randy Meisner you were the Eagles golden voice, the one and only. Don't worry, all the world will remember this song sung by you, with your fantastic voice that right now makes me vibrate [...] Randy golden voice Meisner!!!!!!!! - riffsyesright (6 months ago)
- Incredible and effortless. He definitely owns this song! - cindylynn1968 (6 months ago)
- that beautiful high voice of Mr Meisner god i miss him - shell19491 (6 months ago)
- here is a man who stayed true to himself = his family and music - beaspoke11 (6 months ago)
- voice of an angel, plays bass like a beast! - lip1insider (8 months ago)
- Randy sang his heart out on this. - una mckillen (1 month ago)
- You still have fans everyday, looking for your songs on youtube. - shell19491 (1 month ago)
- Randy had the best voice for sure, in a band of superstar vocalists. - Gigfactory (2 months ago)
- Randy's majestic version [The best song the Eagles ever did] [...] - hollies65 (1 year ago)
- God Bless Randy Meisner and any man who considered family over fame... - James Brathor (1 year ago)
- Randy Meisner is the ONLY one that does this song justice. - bordo2604 (2 years ago)
- no other human owned this great tune like Mr.Meisner. - Joel Barry (1 year ago)
- NOBODY can sing this like Randy Meisner. He had such a haunting quality to the really high notes! - LeoNurse2007 (2 years ago)
- Meisner forever! - Joel Barry (1 year ago)

tenor_key
12-31-2012, 10:50 PM
From Rick Nelson And The Stone Canyon Band - Chapter Two November 19, 1968, Producer John Boylan took Rick to the opening night and rehearsal for Poco (at that time called Pogo after the cartoon strip) at the Troubadour. Randy Meisner remembers, “Opening night, who should come to see us rehearse at the Troubadour but Rick Nelson. Man, I was so excited to meet him! He was kind of legendary around the club, as much for the TV show, I think, as for his great hit tunes.” The excitement of Pogo’s performance and the idea that Rick claimed to have already from watching Buck Owens and The Buckeroos with steel guitarist Tom Brumley on Jackie Gleason, set the wheels in motion for Rick’s return to the contempory music world.

Originally posted by Telemarkman - site: tdpri.com - September 29th, 2010One of the songs I liked the best was "Easy To Be Free", with its great vocal harmonies. Randy Meisner sure was a great backup singer

Here they are, live in 1971:

BHba1rkTEH8

Next: Randy and Juice Newton covering Neil Young's Heart of Gold (the track was cut in 1995 but officially released only in 2010 on the deluxe edition of Juice's "Duets: Friends & Memories" album).

ZKi94Xlocfg

[B]Happy New Year everyone!
tenor_key

tenor_key
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
From an article by Mark Guerrero, originally published on markguerrero.com
In early 1970, I played with a band that opened for Rick Nelson at Antelope Valley College in Lancaster, California. [...] What made the experience interesting was that I was playing guitar and singing lead with a pick up band that hadn’t rehearsed for the occasion. [...] We thought we were going to be playing for a college dance. We had been booked by an agent who made a career out of booking high school and college dances and concerts. [...]

Rick had Randy Meisner on bass. [...] I’d seen Randy play with Poco and was blown away by his sound and skill as a bass player, not to mention his clean, high voice soaring above the others in three part harmony. [...] After our set, I walked by Randy on the way off stage and he said “you guys sounded good.” [...]

In 1988, I ran into Randy Meisner at a recording studio in North Hollywood called Track Records. [...] Randy was rehearsing with David Palmer, former lead singer with Steely Dan. Palmer is best known for his lead vocal on Steely Dan’s popular song, “Dirty Work.” They were putting together a band which apparently never got off the ground. During a break in recording, I went into the room where one could have coffee and snacks and there was Randy sitting at the table alone. I struck up a conversation and told him the story of that concert in Antelope Valley 18 years before. [...] I felt good about thanking him for being nice to an unknown kid back in 1970.

tenor_key
01-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Bladders on northstandchat.com - Jan 12th, 2013 [thread "Form Your Own Ultimate Band"]

Vocals: Bon Scott (AC/DC)

Guitar: Brad Paisley (Brad Paisley)

Bass: Randy Meisner (Eagles)

Drums: Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)

Keyboards: Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

JohnLnyc
01-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice thread.
I always liked Randy (also Don Felder).
Somehow the Eagles are just not as good as back then......

Backporch Guy
01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
I dig Meisner. I dig Schmidt. I dig Leadon. I dig Really dig Felder & Walsh. Hell, I even sorta dig Stuart Smith. I even dig Henley and Frey as long as we're only talking about the music. :D

I really like the Eagles. :)

Same here.

tenor_key
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Besides appearing on the "FM" soundtrack with a lively and captivating interpretation of Souther&Frey's Bad Man, Randy lent his unmistakable voice to a couple of songs written for the 1990 movie "Faith". Recorded in Rome, Italy, and then commercialized by the German branch of CBS, they match lyrics by director Ted Mather to music by the De Angelis brothers a.k.a. Oliver Onions--also in charge of production for the entire LP.

Into the Night:

http://soundcloud.com/tenor_key/into-the-night

You:

http://soundcloud.com/tenor_key/you

tenor_key
01-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Originally published on billboard.biz - January 21st, 2013

[from an exclusive interview by Phil Gallo about "History of the Eagles, Part One"]

Eagles-mania struck Sundance Saturday as the band came to town to do Q&A in Acura's space on Main Street and a post-screening Q&A with producer Alex Gibney and director Alison Elwood. [...] Between the two public sessions, Billboard grabbed some private time to talk with Glenn Frey and Don Henley [...]

Early in the film there's a scene of you guys warming up vocally and the producer Glyn Johns said that was the key reason he would work with you. Did those harmonies come together easily or was the result of hours and hours of practice?
GF: We practiced, but there was -- what's the word I want to use -- a sonic thing that would happen when Randy Meisner and Don and I sang together. We would sing and Glyn Johns would think he was hearing some sort of fourth part. There was some sort of resonance, something that happened.

:) Tartini tones, I venture! :)

tenor_key
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom Lane on tomlanesblog.blogspot.com - today at 11:07 AM
[about The Eagles and Rock critics]

Dave Marsh [...] in his Rock singles book [...] picks Randy Meisner's "Take It To The Limit" out of all their hits.

P.S. To whomever digs him AND has some spare money to invest: Randy's farm is to be auctioned on February 25th.
Details at http://www.helbergnussauction.com/events/event/73-acre-irrigated-farm-auction/.

Lution
02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
P.S. To whomever digs him AND has some spare money to invest: Randy's farm is to be auctioned on February 25th.
Details at http://www.helbergnussauction.com/events/event/73-acre-irrigated-farm-auction/.

This is so wild! Back in the day, we used to party out there on that very piece of land.

tenor_key
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Jamie Reno on therenodispatch.blogspot.com - today at 10:59 AM[...] Randy rarely talks about his former bandmates. In my conversations with him he's never said an unkind word about his former bandmates, which I think speaks volumes about his character.

tenor_key
03-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Under the Stars of Travel and of Tempo
A Brief History of the Meisner Family

A German Drummer from the 1600s

A thaler for your thoughts, Michael Meißner the weaver, on the last day you spent in Bischofswerda, weaving your teen expectations for the future!
There is a beautiful Fronfeste in that small town (45 miles or so, coming from Meißen) he certainly passed by--a thousand times--before enrolling in Count Dohna's Infantry Regiment as a drummer.

http://i46.tinypic.com/qs0cbk.jpg
Bischofswerda, Saxony - Fronfeste
(local sire's stronghold)

But, several years after, it was cloth-making (the fame and pride of Meissen, with the porcelain factory yet to come) to let him earn a living and start a family in Reichelsheim, Hessen. The bride he took in 1694--baptized and raised a Lutheran like he was--had strong roots planted in medieval Vienna, while German ancestry connects her with a bailiff who, having had the courage and misfortune to challenge one Duke Ulrich, ended up quartered and beheaded on Stuttgart market square.
It is uncertain whether Michael specialized in fabric meant for bags or in flour sieves--the term Beutel-Tuchmacher is a bit ambiguous because of its first half being a possible archaism. Michael's own "habitational" surname might have been crafted to boast of a provenance from the hometown of state-of-the-art linen: indeed, someone views "Meisner" as an "advertising" variant of "Meisinger". Throughout the 18th and the 19th century, sources erratically use either the first or the middle name of his kinsmen, who, moreover--as regards the last name--are sometimes referred to as "Maisnart" or "Meininger" until the years around 1800.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h3a9mr.jpg
Present day Germany

Bound to the Crown of Denmark

To follow, timewise, Randy's paternal lineage, we shall now part from Michael, let him lie sheltered by the permanent embrace of German soil--as far as we know.
His third-born, Gottlob, a cowherd, took four male heirs and a handful of dreams from all the havoc of the Seven Years' War, heading away, for the duchy of Schleswig-Holstein, to reclaim marshes on the Dane king's request.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1j99uu.jpg
Hohn, near Julianenebene - Marienkirche.
Double marriage in the family, here. Heinrich (see infra) was one of the grooms.

Their residence in Julianenebene, begun in mid-1761, lasted no more than three years and a half.
Then, cornered by an unfavorable economic conjuncture plus the hostility of native inhabitants, the four brothers chose to leave, caught in the stream of countrymen fatefully lured to Lower Volga by the privileges of the Tsarina's second Manifesto.

Turning the Russian Frontier into a Barn

The dawn of a new colony, named Grimm, saw the Meisners amidst its founding members. Randy's direct ancestor, Heinrich, the youngest, figures in 1798 as a landowner. His descendants, son Jakob Alexander, grandson Johann Jakob, great-grandson Friedrich Alexander, and great-great-grandson Christian Jakob lived there, too, farming across an age of danger and distress when the harshness of the territory and the hazard posed by aggressive robbers were compensated by religious freedom, military service exemption, and self-organized education of youth--taught in German. By the end of the 19th century, the golden age was over, as a result of a gradual process. The sort of tax-haven enclave was long gone, having existed for just a few decades. They had to face the compulsory nature of conscription; Russian had become the official language in schools; in addition, land ownership was granted to newly-freed Russian serfs instead of Germans, unless traded for conversion to the Orthodox faith. The 1890's famines stroke too hard, and the 1904 conflict with Japan emphasized the perspective of fighting, maybe dying for someone else's reasons.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14illjt.jpg
Grimm and (see infra) Hussenbach

To the Land of the Free

Lots of frustrated, disappointed Volga Germans sought relief from the above status quo joining--again--a long wave of migrations, this time to the Midwestern United States. America's open arms readily welcomed them, cherishing their peculiar expertise in growing sugar beets to fill the needs of the newborn refineries. Among them, the aforementioned Christian Jakob, Randy's great-grandfather, sailed from Glasgow aboard the Anchor Line's "Columbia", which would arrive at the port of New York on October 19th, 1908.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vj3p5j.jpg
S.S. Columbia

The ship's manifest erroneously transliterates as "Tiesnoi" his place of origin, which was Lesnoj Karamyš (Russian for "Grimm"). He was bound for Larimer County, Colorado, where his eldest son Christian Jakob, jr. had settled down in Fort Collins with his family. Traveling with Christian senior were his wife and their two youngest children, plus their second-born Alexander, accompanied by his own son and daughter by a former marriage. Last, but not least, there was Alexander's second wife Pauline, a blue-eyed blonde, just a little more than five feet tall, but evidently towering like a giant when it came to commitment and moral strength (she was with child, in the early stages of pregnancy; a son would be born at the end of May, 1909).
The 1910 census reports them all as Fort Collins residents under the name "Misner" (three households: Jacob jr., Alexander, Jacob senior).

Herman--Randy's father—was born to Alexander and Pauline in Colorado in 1911, followed by five more siblings, the last of which would arrive in Nebraska (leaving their relatives behind in Larimer County--to be censused there as "Meisiner", afterward!--Alexander, wife and children had relocated to Gering circa 1919). Unlike several available documents where Alex is described as a farm laborer, the 1920 census lists him among sugar factory workers. His 1930 belongings include a radio set. By 1940, he was proprietor of a home.

Meanwhile, the maternal share of Randy's DNA was en route to the U.S. from another village within the same Saratov province of Russia. Johannes Georg Haun had reached Hamburg with his wife Dorothea, two daughters (and an unborn third one), and his younger brother Jakob. They were to embark the S.S. "Graf Waldersee" destined for Philadelphia, where she would dock on May 15th, 1911. Their folks Friedrich and Maria, who had temporarily remained in Hussenbach (Linëvo Ozero)--the family's hometown—would soon re-embrace their loved ones overseas.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33kq70w.jpg
S.S. Graf Waldersee

On the ocean liner's manifest, a clear handwritten Umlaut (that is, a kind of breve instead of two dots) marks, in two instances, the letter "u" of the word Haün . It is a rare alternative spelling for "Hayn", a name which happens to belong, aside from other German past and present locations, to Burg Hayn, a tower castle in Hessen, the region their ancestor had come to Volga from--in 1817.

http://i45.tinypic.com/34p0uq9.jpg
Burg Hayn, Hessen

Even so, the surname in question is spelled "Haun" anywhere else, starting with an update at the bottom of the same page of the passenger list, added to certify the on-board birth of a baby girl, Emilia (Emilie, Randy's mother). A friend was waiting for the Hauns in McCook, NE. Thence they moved to Scottsbluff. By 1917, two more daughters had been born. According to Census Bureau enumerators, Johannes Georg-- by then just George--was a farm laborer in 1920, a music teacher in 1930, a beer-parlor clerk in 1940. It's worth noting that at least two of his daughters played the piano, while his youngest brother, David, of Lincoln, NE, lived surrounded by music, being a piano tuner, a band conductor and an accordion teacher.

Herman Meisner and Emilie Haun got married in 1933 (another knot was tied later that year, by his elder brother and her younger sister). On their rented farm they raised a daughter, Carol June, and a son, Randall Herman, a great American who--beyond doubt--is an amazing mixture of the Meisners' atavistic sense of rhythm and of the Hauns' absolute pitch. He turns sixty-seven today.

These are the barebone facts I got to know. If they could speak, crops in the core of Heartland would whisper to bystanders a true story--far more enthralling than any work of fiction.

Some existences rival in charm with legends. The names those lives were christened with arise a deep respect. Respect blends with emotion when you realize that the words "father" and "mother" shine just as bright as does Psalm thirty-five, a line of which one can still read above them, carved into the headstone posed to seal the quiet abode where Alex and Pauline patiently wait for a promised eternity. It pleases me to give my tale an end upon a turf that may be dressed in green or white, depending on the orbit of the Earth and temper tantrums of Nebraskan weather.

Their lifestyle speaks for them--entitled to nobility by hard work and decorated with a palmarès of children.
A quote from Thomas Gray here comes to mind. It comes to mind because it doesn't fit:
[...]
The rude forefathers of the hamlet sleep.
[...]
I bet, I feel that there was nothing rude about them.
Sweet, fearless people, one cannot help admiring you and your offspring!

Happy birthday, Randy.

chanel
03-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Great work, Tenor. A credit to you. Randy would be so pleased to read this. I sent a message - hope it gets through - INXS.

semi-hollowbody
03-09-2013, 09:31 AM
ABSOLUTELY...Randy is a better singer, better musician...

chanel
03-10-2013, 12:51 AM
I often wonder, had Randy not left the Eagles, what would they be like, now? Would they have broken up after the Long Run? I guess we'll never know but it sure is fun to contemplate how the journey might have been for them had things been different. Mails In!

tenor_key
03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Randy would be so pleased to read this.

If you care about my opinion, I guess he never read a single line that was written by us TGPers or by people who post to other sites.

Moreover, I have to consider as unread the get-well wishes we sent him before the Fourth of July. You probably remember we did it through the memorabilia collector (acquainted with Randy) who had postulated an Alzheimer's disease diagnosis for him—contextually requesting the fans to send e-mails and postcards he would later forward to the Meisners.

Although his reply to my e-mail ran as follows: "Received and is being sent to Randy", to my knowledge no news about the messages ever reaching Studio City has appeared on Facebook [“100.3 The Sound (fans page)”] or anywhere else.

I don't know what happened. Maybe Mr. Duncan had second thoughts about forwarding the material after finding out he had involuntarily spread an unfounded rumor originated from another source.

If so, an unknown author built up what is perhaps the most believable lie in the history of gossip. Here's why. A significant percentage of Volga Germans descending from villagers of the Frank and Walter colonies suffer from type 4 early-onset Alzheimer's, involving a genetic mutation on the first chromosome which causes an imbalance in the production of a protein called presenilin 2 (and many other names).
[Hussenbach, home of Randy's maternal ancestors, belonged to the Frank parish, and to the Frank county judicial division. So did Walter. Intermarriage was rather frequent.]
Not all of those who carry the mutation actually develop the illness, though. And, up-to-date, it is impossible to ascertain AD by performing trials on a living subject. Some symptoms might be temporary and inherent to another condition. Yes, and the next Nobel Prize winner may wake up tomorrow and find a cure.

Truth is, I need to believe—to hell with medicine and history—that the alleged connection between Randy and that awful sentence-to-life is no more than the outcome of a big misunderstanding.

Timothy B. Schmit recently underwent surgery for throat and neck cancer. He kept in touch with his fans through his personal secretary and let them know he appreciated their support.

Randy once said: “[...] it is like part of your gig. They are the fans and they are the ones who make you.”
Silence on his side legitimates our hopes. As to our own future silence on this matter, it will read as respect winning over concern.

chanel
03-15-2013, 06:05 AM
So did Walter. Who's Walter?

tenor_key
03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
The Drivin' Dynamics have posted their Kansas City cover [thanks].
How could so young a man sing like a seasoned pro? :) Wait a minute... I think I know the answer!

A baby face, the vocal nuances of an angel,
a golden heart:
a cosmos nestled in an earthly classic,
eager to earn its name in our forever.

AhPFCS-vmxQ

Who's Walter? From an article by Jean Roth, AHSGR Walter village coordinator: Walter was one of the original 104 German "Mother" colonies of the Volga River region of Russia. In the words of Fred C. Koch--a graduate of the University of Washington [The Volga Germans, Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977, page 34]: [...] from the very first, the colonists employed their own simple method for identifying a community, labeling it with the name of its mayor. In conversation as well as in the earliest church records, the association of person with place would be made in this manner: "Johannes L--- from the colony of Mayor Kolb," or "the colony of Mayor Frank," or "the colony of Mayor Bangert." It was not long before this kind of phrase was shortened to "Johannes L--- from Kolb," or from "Frank," or from "Bangert."

emjee
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM

I bought the "One Of These Nights" album when it first came out, I was in the
ninth grade. I bought it because I kept hearing the title cut on KFRC (the local radio station in SF).
To this day I remeber just freaking OUT when "Too Many Hands" came on my little General Electric record player. That opening riff (12 string?)just rocks.

emjee
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow Tenor, thank you! Your research and obvious hard work is very much appreciated from those of us who think of Randy as one of their fondest voices in rock.

tenor_key
03-16-2013, 09:32 AM
To this day I remeber just freaking OUT when "Too Many Hands" came on my little General Electric record player. That opening riff (12 string?)just rocks.Felder recalls it made his fingers bleed! Among the features making the song sound special, my thoughts go to the scordatura and--lyric-wise--to the environmental message it conveys. Meisner's explanation of the latter can be found at 24:25 of this precious video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt_BDRnCLE. It consists of conversations with Gene Clark, Rick Roberts, and Randy (whose spoken contribution starts at 19:00).

Thank you for being so appreciative of my endeavors!

tenor_key
03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
[In thread "Songs with cool basslines" - page 2 - March 23rd, 2013]
One of These Nights, Eagles.

And I understand Felder played it, not Randy Meisner.... although Randy was a great bassist (and apparently a helluva nice guy).Much to the joy of Meisner's wife and kids (an easy guess :)), a thick blanket of snow transformed his home State of Nebraska into a sweet prison.
It would be--consequently--up to Felder to design the above jewel of a bass line.
Timely, the thaw was to reinstate Randy's performing skills right there where they belonged: in the studio, driving the title track of the Eagles' fourth album along its way to vinyl--and rock annals.

No matter if that makes us many a Rostand's Roxane (hearing from Christian's fingers what Cyrano did write) as long as, when we listen, we always fall in love.

chanel
04-01-2013, 07:40 AM
That must be one of the most recognized and significant bass lines in rock music. Felder came up with a winner, there. I sent an SOS to the world ... I hope that someone gets my message in the bottle ... ;).

chanel
04-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Tenor, interpret this INXS classic. I sent a message - hope it gets through. Nothing to do with Randy but I know he'd approve.

tenor_key
04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
I sent an SOS to the world ... I hope that someone gets my message in the bottle ...
The "bottle" has been found, thanks! Now that you mention The Police...

[:)WHO CARES?:)]
I would have liked to post a photo to the enjoyable thread come into being to suit the purpose of sharing "last gig pics". It is a pity that I own no such picture.
I had resolved that I was done with live shows soon before a concert I held on one December afternoon in a German venue facing Market Square, Stuttgart (the very site where Randy's ancestor had been executed in December 1516--a coincidence I wasn't aware of, back in the day). My previous performance, solo w/ orchestra, had taken place on the preceding Thursday at the baroque Colegio de la Paz Vizcaínas in Mexico City, that was to host Sting, too.
[/:)WHO CARES?:)]

http://i46.tinypic.com/33di93c.jpg
Stuttgart - Market Square in 1881

By the way, I found out that the blood of the above convict, before being shed so ruthlessly, had passed on to his only daughter a potential of creativity later to affect--let alone Randy--the likes of Friedrich Schiller, Hermann Hesse, Grace Kelly. Interesting cousins, indeed.

Since Schiller's "lyrics" proved useful for "songwriters" known by the names of Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, I think he's not off-topic inside the Sound Hound Lounge!

"Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!"
- Friedrich Schiller, Ode an die Freude

"Wer statt Gedudel Musik, statt Vergnügen Freude, statt Geld Seele, statt Betrieb echte Arbeit, statt Spielerei echte Leidenschaft verlangt, für den ist diese hübsche Welt hier keine Heimat."
- Hermann Hesse, Der Steppenwolf

tenor_key
04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/sc6cuo.jpg

health update #1 (http://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219470&postcount=48)

health update #2 (http://www.poconut.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5405) [Originally posted by Rusty Young]

health update #3 (http://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219792&postcount=64)

tenor_key
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I've been talking too much, lately. :) Time for some music!

This is currently my favorite tune from Randy's collection “Love Me or Leave Me Alone". It represents him fairly, both as a composer and a performer. The contrapuntal motion of melodic lines in the instrumental intro sounds as a promise the song fulfills! I already bought the album twice [in the form of a legal download plus the UK release of the CD (via eBay)], still I wouldn't mind paying for a deluxe reissue if it were to include thorough information about the cast of players and the recording dates.

http://soundcloud.com/unwillingtocomply/trust-your-heart

P.S. With reference to my previous post, a great deal of gratitude goes to Mrs. Lana R. Meisner, whose timely intervention helped preserve a true gift of God to mankind—her husband.

tenor_key
04-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Ronstadt's eponymous album, recorded in 1971 and released in January, 1972, features Randy Meisner as a bassist on "In My Reply" (written by James Taylor's brother, Livingston), while the two live tracks he sings on are "Rescue Me" (Linda's version of the Fontella Bass classic) and "Birds", covering Neil Young's original from "After the Gold Rush". Here, the velvety rendez-vous of voices in the refrain gives a texture to the utopia of sweetening the bitterness of a farewell. Sheer perfection.
CbPYoEt3DJk

chanel
04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Yes, thanks Lana! News just released that Bernie is rejoining the band for upcoming shows - shame Randy missed out.

tenor_key
04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt White on rotharmy.com - 04-09-2013[in thread "Former Eagles Guitarist Bernie Leadon to Rejoin Band for Upcoming Tour"]

Nice! If they had Randy Meisner involved I'd go see 'em!P.S.[from site rollingstone.com - April 9, 2013 - originally posted by Andy Greene]

Update: A spokesperson for the Eagles says Leadon and other details regarding the tour are "in discussion."

RupertB
04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Missed a chance to meet him last Friday when I bowed out of a local benefit gig a couple of friends invited me to participate in.

According to my buddies, he walked up, complimented them on their Eagles covers & said "I used to play with those guys, my name's Randy..."

:jo

Lution
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Missed a chance to meet him last Friday when I bowed out of a local benefit gig a couple of friends invited me to participate in.

According to my buddies, he walked up, complimented them on their Eagles covers & said "I used to play with those guys, my name's Randy..."

:jo

Interesting... What city was the benefit in?

I'm wondering if they met him or someone pretending to be him because I believe Randy was still in the hospital in California last week recovering from a close call. Anything is possible though.

RupertB
04-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Interesting... What city was the benefit in?

I'm wondering if they met him or someone pretending to be him because I believe Randy was still in the hospital in California last week recovering from a close call. Anything is possible though.

It was at a golf club in the Chapel Hill area.

tenor_key
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi, RupertB! I guess the gig you missed was related to the benefit below:

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zxmbmt.jpg

If so--with a bit of luck--in a few days the photo gallery the organizers usually upload after every such event will tell us whether they hosted Randy or The Impostor's Apprentice!

tenor_key
04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Customer Satisfaction
OP: Zooberwerx / talkbass.com / 04-14-2013 / thread: Original Eagles Guitarist Bernie Leadon to Rejoin Band for Upcoming Tour

Bring back Bernie and Randy Meisner and I'll be a happy camper.Better than a Kick
OP: Thirsty&Hot / eaglesonlinecentral.com / 04-12-2013 / thread: Eagles 2013 Tour DiscussionOP: Henley Honey

[...] wouldn't it be something if they could do a hologram of Randy singing TITTL?That's a cool ideaA Vital Need
OP: jayoldschool / garagejournal.com / 04-17-2013 / thread: Going to see the Eagles again!

[...] Walsh recently let it slip that Bernie Leadon may be joining them this time out... now they just need Randy Meisner.********************************

I would gladly kiss a month's income farewell to see him on stage, although neither singing nor playing, just receiving the standing ovation he deserves, once and for all.

Too bad that this delusion seems to be
as evanescent as copper haze at sunset
so becoming the provisional glory of summer.
My most beloved season ain't gonna come again.
A greenhouse effect robbed me of my late chance
to shapeshift, proving different from what signatures state.

tonyhay
04-27-2013, 03:35 AM
In case anyone that knows Randy reads this, I'd like to add my wishes of good health to him. He made some great records that gave me a lot of enjoyment when I was a kid growing up in the UK in the 1970's. I wish him all the best.

tenor_key
05-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Rusty Young on May 4th, 2013 – site: poconut.orgGood news on Randy Meisner. He’s home and getting better. He has two full time nurses making sure he behaves himself and Lana is laying down the law! He has to take better care of himself! I’ll let you know when I hear more.

tenor_key
05-12-2013, 05:07 PM
No allusion whatsoever to guitarrón or to acoustic guitar. :)
Countless photos show him singin' his soul out, pluggin' his bass via a secret cable into our souls...
Here, he performs with the World Classic Rockers, handling rhythm, for a change, by different means!
So bright a smile can't be misunderstood: it captures--and releases--the joy of music-making.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2n9byg9.jpg http://i39.tinypic.com/2ef2mw7.jpg
Dallas - February 12th, 2005 / Puerto Rico - May 13th, 2004

tenor_key
05-23-2013, 09:45 PM
At the confluence of seven talents, the band Millennium briefly and beautifully flourished. [Sidenote: they befriended The Poor and Rusty Young.]
Decades after an only album had been cut--the 1968 "Begin" marked an end, too!--some compilations started to do justice to unissued demos previously meant for a second LP effort. There, as well as on solo recordings by group members Sandy Salisbury and Lee Mallory, Randy Meisner appears as a guest.
For a good insight into Millennium and other Curt Boettcher creatures (sponsored at baptism by Keith Olsen, and Gary Usher) see here (http://albumlinernotes.com/Magic_Time.html).

And now let's listen to Randy's bass playing on "Love at Last", a Lee Mallory song, best defined in the words of Stanton Swihart for allmusic.com: "a jazz-meets-Rolling Stones gem."

9OFBT61rL7o

tenor_key
05-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Dan Fogelberg's sophomore album "Souvenirs" (1974), produced by Joe Walsh, featured Randy Meisner as a background vocalist on "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler", a tune also included in the FM soundtrack, and in several Fogelberg collections. Don't miss the coda--you're in for a treat!

3hgPAiC0kgE

:) WHO CARES? :)
Today I'm celebrating my paper anniversary w/ TGP. Thank you all, guys. This is a great place to be!

tenor_key
07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Tom Lawrence on July 23rd, 2013 – site: bhpioneer.comThe band is touring once more, and it stunned and delighted fans — including this Eagles fan — by inviting Leadon to take the stage once more. […] There is a chance Meisner may appear a time or two as well, if he can recover from a recent health problem. The world tour is scheduled to last until 2015.

Santelope
07-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Just watched the Eagles doc the other night. Really good. The interviews were really well done. Covers a lot of their careers and I really did not know much about their original lineup.

Jacob Van Noy
07-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Big big fan. His solo records had some moments... but I don't think his heart was in it....

I think he is one of those guys that is never quite happy where he is... when he's on the road, he wants to be home, when he's home he wants to be in the studio, when he is in the studio he wants to gig... some guys are just like that....

The old youtubes of the 70's Eagles just really shine for me....

Here is a tune from his early 60's band "the Poor" (http://www.randymeisneronline.com/multimedia/MP3/poorshesgotthetime.mp3)... pretty cool stuff.

and here is "tryin" (http://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/TryinBerkeley73.mp3) from 73

I'm from Scottsbluff, Ne and Randy was/is somewhat of a local legend. I knew his daughter and son who were both in bands around the panhandle. Take it to the limit one more time!

Chr1s
10-06-2014, 04:19 PM
@167 agreed. I'd only take Eagles if Randy were along. He always added his special kind of magic. And 168 - can you imagine the Eagles without Randy? Never. Would they have been quite as successful and popular without the contributions of Randy and Bernie? I don't think so! :]

Agreed, which is why, when the remaining Eagles come to Perth I won't be going. Wish Randy had visited Oz. Now that I would pay for!

Doug's Tubes
10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I loved him in POCO.

Chr1s
10-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Well said!