PDA

View Full Version : The Galaxy of Strats book -- whoa

DANOCASTER
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I've been looking for one for a while. I bought one from Strat-O-Crazy in Japan and the mailman just delivered it

WOW - it's the strat equivalent of The Blackguard Book :banana

I'm gonna make a replica of EVERY guitar in that book !!

anybody have one ?

loftyrocket
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
just let me know when you do

relix63
07-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I've been looking for one for a while. I bought one from Strat-O-Crazy in Japan and the mailman just delivered it

WOW - it's the strat equivalent of The Blackguard Book :banana

I'm gonna make a replica of EVERY guitar in that book !!

anybody have one ?

Don't have the book but I want one. I'll take one of the repilca's too.

Shark Sandwich
07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I have the book. It's great. Out of curiosity, what did they charge you for it?

MSS
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Yes, great book.........the author was known as quite the master strat builder in Japan. It is a fantastic book just to drool over all the different guitars and the unique colours etc etc.

DANOCASTER
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
it wasn't cheap - $175 !!

but I saw one on Ebay go over $300 so....

still a lot of dough but it will certainly provide $175 worth of inspiration :beer

ginormous
07-03-2009, 06:48 PM
If Dano's inspired, then a lot of TPG'ers will be inspired too!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

davidos
07-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I just bought one called "The Stratocaster Book" from Japan... very cool... Great pics and they measure things like the difference between tuners, etc. insane. It's all in Japanese... I wish it was in English because there is so much stuff in there... ~$50

todd richman
07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Dan, you should make a replica of every one for sure. In fact, you should publish a book of your guitars with the photos from smugmug and the details and specs of each. Maybe a CD with it demoing the tones.

DANOCASTER
07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Dan, you should make a replica of every one for sure. In fact, you should publish a book of your guitars with the photos from smugmug and the details and specs of each. Maybe a CD with it demoing the tones.

that's all very flattering but it's my opinion that if anybody wants to geek out on cool beat-up guitars, LIKE I DO, they should at least look at the real McCoy - not replicas ( however nice they may be )

plus - my photos are not copy protected so anybody can download any photos for free from Smugmug or my website. I'm flattered if they even wanna check it out :)

but thanks :beer

But any strat lover should really check out the Galaxy of Strats - it really is a fantastic collection of amazing looking strats

there's a chapter on all the cool custom colors - a chapter on various "blondes" - as well as another on sunbursts

I wish there was an equivalent for teles ( as much as I LOVE the Blackguard Book - the teles from '50-'54 aren't my favorites )

Shark Sandwich
07-04-2009, 12:43 AM
wow, $175.00! I paid $35.00 for mine about 8 years ago, and I could have bought as many as I wanted to. . .looks like I really blew that one.

it wasn't cheap - $175 !!

but I saw one on Ebay go over $300 so....

still a lot of dough but it will certainly provide $175 worth of inspiration :beer

DANOCASTER
07-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I havent seen one available on Ebay ( or even in the USA ) for a LONG time

I bought a super clean all orig '64 Deluxe Reverb w/ cover and footswicth for $500 8 yrs ago too :)

:banana

MeMota
07-04-2009, 06:41 PM
While we're speaking of great books, what do you guys recommend for strat / tele books? I have the Blackguard book, but what's great for strats (that's in print), and what other tele books do I "need"? :)

Thanks guys

todd richman
07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Dan-I got the book idea from Kim at Historic Makeovers who is working on a book of Dave Johnson's Historic Makeover work on Bursts.

DANOCASTER
07-04-2009, 07:29 PM
ok, THAT explains it

those Les Paul guys are the real freaks !! :munch

skhan007
07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a gold strat that was a replica from that very book. I can't remember the page number, but I want to say it was page 65 or something like that- gold strat, rosewood board, transition logo, small headstock. Greg Fessler built mine as a pilot run guitar in '04. Dan- please post images from this book if you can. Many of us have never seen it!

HelloKittyHawk!
07-05-2009, 03:48 AM
While we're speaking of great books, what do you guys recommend for strat / tele books? I have the Blackguard book, but what's great for strats (that's in print), and what other tele books do I "need"? :)

Thanks guys

The Stratocaster Chronicles byTom Wheeler.

Richard Smith's Fender: The Sound Heard 'round the World
is also really good, but it covers the whole Fender line.

A.R. Duchossier(that's a guess- I don't have the books here!) wrote a slim volume each for the Strat and the Tele. They're pretty good, but slight.

As soon as I got The Blackguard Book (used, here in the Emporium), I wished that someone would lavish such obsessive detail on her sexier sister, the Strat.

I can't swing that price though. One day!

MeMota
07-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks very much. I've had a look at the Stratocaster Chronicles, and it looks great so I'll grab a copy of that. I've actually got the amp book by the same guys (Soul of Tone), didn't know about the Strat one.

That Blackguard Book needs a sequel!

Edit: great sig HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk!
07-05-2009, 04:23 AM
That signature is painfully true this month! And I actually ran out of space a, while ago, to list all the people I've purchased stuff from.
But being 100% broke is the only thing that keeps me from obsessively checking the Emporiums. It's kinda liberating!

OminousPoultry
07-05-2009, 05:03 AM
I have a gold strat that was a replica from that very book. I can't remember the page number, but I want to say it was page 65 or something like that- gold strat, rosewood board, transition logo, small headstock. Greg Fessler built mine as a pilot run guitar in '04. Dan- please post images from this book if you can. Many of us have never seen it!

one for sale at the moment http://tinyurl.com/lybo23 on ebay UK.

page 65 is a fiesta red 1960 - yours sounds like page 29 - a 65 in firemist gold with transition logo

MeMota
07-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Look what else he's selling....

This is the book

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/MeMota/IMG_8335.jpg

This is one of his guitars for sale.....

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/MeMota/IMG_0468.jpg

!!!!!

jaydawg76
07-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I wish there was an equivalent for teles ( as much as I LOVE the Blackguard Book - the teles from '50-'54 aren't my favorites )

OMG YES!!!

I love the blackguard book just as much as any other tele freak but when it comes down to it I'm a late 50's/early 60's tele guy. What I wouldn't give for Nacho to do another volume, the same as the blackguard book, that covered the late 50's/early 60's.

telesquire
07-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah,great book bought mine for 40 years ago from Rittor Books UK distributor.I have their awesome Tele & Strat books too plus the series of Guitar Graphic books which are equally amazing. I've seen these books go for crazy prices.

HelloKittyHawk!
07-05-2009, 01:39 PM
That gold Strat pictured above looks like the Homer Haynes H.L.E.
model from the late eighties.

Given the book's title, and the pickguard wear, the cover guitar would have to be an original fifties Strat.

HelloKittyHawk!
07-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Ummm.... Duh! Sorry, I just checked out the auctions, and, of course, that is a Homer (so I guess that I should've said, "D'Oh!!!).

$300 for a used softcover book?! Is it out of print? If so, I'm surprised that they haven't reissued it and come out with an English version. Who wants to sell me color photocopies of the book??!!

CDaughtry
07-05-2009, 02:19 PM
A lot of those guitars are/were mine. The cover one is mine. How about a replica of it Dan?

CDaughtry
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Given the book's title, and the pickguard wear, the cover guitar would have to be an original fifties Strat.

It is....:)

DANOCASTER
07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
A lot of those guitars are/were mine. The cover one is mine. How about a replica of it Dan?

you sure are full of surprises, Charlie !

and I love that about you ;)

redplexi
08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I own Page 029. 1965 Firemist Gold. Love that Book.