PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Rectoverb Series 1 or 2?

cjp54
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
I bought a used Mesa Rectoverb years ago. How does one tell if it's a series 1 or series 2?

Thanks!

~Abstract~
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
are the reverb knobs on front or back?

Shine
07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I bought a used Mesa Rectoverb years ago. How does one tell if it's a series 1 or series 2?

Thanks!

The Series two has three settings on the channels and has a switch in the back for EL34 or 6L6S

Head+Cab
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Series 2 has 2 modes on Channel 1 & 3 modes on Channel 2

cjp54
07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Reverb controls on back of head.

Channel 1, Clean and pushed.
Channel 2, Vintage and modern

Head+Cab
07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Reverb controls on back of head.

Channel 1, Clean and pushed.
Channel 2, Vintage and modern

Yours is a Series 1.

cjp54
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Is either one more or less desireable?

tennisplayer
07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I have a Solo 50 Single recto Series 1 and I freakin' love it. You will love yours. Download the manual and read how to eq it. Not like a regular amp. Mine sounds glorious!!!!!!!!!!

Series 2 allows for el34's and an extra mode on channel 2. I love the deepness of the 6l6 and the extra chrunch mode was not necessary for me. Plug in and play.

Miles
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info. Is either one more or less desireable?

Not for me. I think they sound best stock with 6L6s, and the RAW mode sounds like ass to me anyway. I run vintage on recto dirt channels, any recto amp, and I'm getting good tone.

Enjoy yours!

ACTUALLY>>>>> Ask yourself this. Does your amp have a half-second pause when you switch channels by foot?

If not, do NOT buy another rectoverb as most if not all of the series 2 have this pause and I hate them for this reason. A pause in between channels makes the series 2 recto unsuitable for me in a live situation.

tennisplayer
07-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Mine is the Series 1 and has that slight pause.

MarchoftheFall
07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Mine is the Series 1 and has that slight pause.

I just bought a Series 1 Rectoverb off of eBay and have been reading about this slight pause as well as "drop-outs" at pushed settings (high volume and gain). Has anyone seen these problems and if so, do they affect both Series 1 and 2?

Also, this may seem obvious to some of you, but is the Rectoverb (single rectifier) the same thing as if you were to run a Double Rectifier in half-power mode? You know, just using 2 of the 4 6L6's like some of the new Mesa's offer.

Cheers!

Miles
07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I just bought a Series 1 Rectoverb off of eBay and have been reading about this slight pause as well as "drop-outs" at pushed settings (high volume and gain). Has anyone seen these problems and if so, do they affect both Series 1 and 2?

Also, this may seem obvious to some of you, but is the Rectoverb (single rectifier) the same thing as if you were to run a Double Rectifier in half-power mode? You know, just using 2 of the 4 6L6's like some of the new Mesa's offer.

Cheers!

The pause you're talking about is something apparently in the inherent design of the amp. The relay to switch channels takes a split second to go from channel 1 to channel 2. If this pause doesn't bother you, no biggie. For me, it was a deal breaker since I have a lot of times when I'm playing rhythm and have to seamlessly transition into more gain.

As for other problems, I've known rectoverbs to be VERY well made and rugged, so I cannot speak to those other issues you're describing.

It's a great amp - if it were not for that pause, I would scoop another up in a nano second.

tele_jas
07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I had a series 2 ROV and gigged for over a year with it... The slight pause didn't bother me at all. I had the same pause in some modeling amps and other high-end amps. Usually you're the only one that notices it and that split second feels like 2 seconds to you, but in reality is less than a second.

Just my $.02 worth

megaboogie
07-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes. series 1 had delay in switching channels, but with series 2 it's been fixed. My series 2 has no delay in switching channel, it changes seamlessly. Keep in mind, I've heard few series 2 owners having the delay issue tough.

Ugh
07-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Probably not. The 100 watter will have bigger iron. That usually equates to bigger, tighter low end, and more headroom regardless of how many tubes are running.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt as I don't have much experience with these amps. What I said is just a rule of thumb...

MarchoftheFall
07-10-2011, 11:30 AM
If this pause doesn't bother you, no biggie. For me, it was a deal breaker since I have a lot of times when I'm playing rhythm and have to seamlessly transition into more gain.

Understandably! A lot of my songs call for the same type of thing...I'm a bit concerned now that I'm hearing this. I suppose I should have asked more questions before I threw down $750 + $150 for shipping!

Well, I suppose It'll still be a great amp with the classic Mesa Rectifier tone, especially for recording.

Thanks all for the replies :)

MarchoftheFall
07-10-2011, 11:39 AM
The 100 watter will have bigger iron. That usually equates to bigger, tighter low end, and more headroom regardless of how many tubes are running.
I was wondering if that was the case. Based on this, would you guys still say that the Rectoverb is considered a "high gain" amp? Is the gain on tap comparable to a Dual Rectifier (albeit a different sound I'm sure). Or is this Apples and Oranges?

Thanks!

Ugh
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I was wondering if that was the case. Based on this, would you guys still say that the Rectoverb is considered a "high gain" amp? Is the gain on tap comparable to a Dual Rectifier (albeit a different sound I'm sure). Or is this Apples and Oranges?

Thanks!

AFAIK they share the same preamp, so they should get the same amount of gain. Really, the difference in sound shouldn't be that big. The Dual will sound and feel just a little bigger, and will be capable of a bit more volume (not much!). More like comparing oranges and tangerines...