PDA

View Full Version : Making a pup RWRP

Clapton is God
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Is it possible to make a standard pup RWRP, or at least hum canceling? I have two sets of pre-upgrade Highway 1 strat pickups. The middle pup is not RWRP. Is it possible to pop out the magnets, and turn them around, and/or switch hookup wires to get a hum canceling pickup? Thanks for the help.

jguth
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
yes, reverse magnets and wiring. But flipping the magnets can break the coil wire and then you have nothing. I've done it to 3 pu's and lost one. depends on the construction of the pu and how careful you are and lots of luck. I wouldn't
try it on a valuable pu. Maybe you should try the Suhr backplate system to cut the noise.

Klein Pickups
07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Short answer, NO. You can change the polarity of the magnets but you can't change the winding direction. RWRP means reverse wind reverse polarity. Winding direction is fixed, either clockwise or counterclockwise from the top.

You need to have both to get rwrp.

Clapton is God
07-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Klein,

I understand that, however will flipping the magnets, and reversing the leads make it hum canceling? Thanks.

Eagle1
07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Klein,

I understand that, however will flipping the magnets, and reversing the leads make it hum canceling? Thanks.
No .

Clapton is God
07-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks!

GM Reszel
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
+1 - as stated you'd need to rewind the pickup reverse to the others plus the polarity switch and magnet flip.

Boris Bubbanov
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
A weird idea: What you could do is find 3 Fender pickups that are RWRP towards these existing 6 pickups, and make yourself 3 sets out of 2. Just Pickups has those Texas Special middles for $ 43 apiece; they're kind hot but they might work better than a busted pickup.

walterw
07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Actually, you can reverse certain pickups this way. Some fenders have molded plastic bobbins that insulate the magnets from the coil wire. You can push the magnets right out of the pickup with no risk of damage. Flip all 6, reverse the leads, and the pickup will hum-cancel.

The drawback is, now that pickup will have the magnets right against the hot end of the coil, rather than the ground end. This will cause the magnets to be noisy when touched.

GM Reszel
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Actually, you can reverse certain pickups this way. Some fenders have molded plastic bobbins that insulate the magnets from the coil wire. You can push the magnets right out of the pickup with no risk of damage. Flip all 6, reverse the leads, and the pickup will hum-cancel.

You would still have to reverse the winding (requiring a rewind).

walterw
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Nope, works just fine except for the noisy magnets issue.

The fender hot rod 62 strats even come this way; fender just put opposite polarity magnets in a regular 57/62 pickup, reversed the leads and threw it in the middle position, which is kinda disappointing.

Clapton is God
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
So as long as the magnet isn't touched, it sounds okay?

Boris Bubbanov
07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Nope, works just fine except for the noisy magnets issue.

The fender hot rod 62 strats even come this way; fender just put opposite polarity magnets in a regular 57/62 pickup, reversed the leads and threw it in the middle position, which is kinda disappointing.

These American Series 60th Anniversary "Cubic Zirconium" Strats from 2006 (with rosewood board, abalone dots and 3 tone sunburst over alder) have AV57/62 pups with the middle as RWRP. noise canceling in positions 2 and 4. Walter, would you imagine these, too, were done in a similar fashion? I'll have a real good look at mine, if this is the case.

David Collins
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I thought stock Fender pickups were wound ground on the outside, hot on the inside? Maybe not - I could be wrong here.... It could just be older ones or from a particular era, but I know at least some were made that way because the hot lead can actually ground out to the magnets when they get rusty and vibrations wear through the insulation (what Seymour calls Inner Coil Pole Corrosion).

I've switched the polarity on a number of AlNiCo magnet Fender middle pickups (demagnetize, re-magnetize opposite polarity), reversed the leads and they've worked just fine. Not a true reverse wound, as now the hot and ground are at different ends of the coil. Still, since the coils then are at least wired in to the circuit out of phase to each other, it's close enough to do a pretty good job hum canceling. I honestly haven't noticed if they were prone to any more noise when the magnets were touched compared to standard, but then again I didn't check for this specifically.

Mike9
07-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Straight wind is how they were made till the early 90's. Shield your cavities and entire pickguard - you might be surprised at how quiet your Strat can be.

walterw
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
These American Series 60th Anniversary "Cubic Zirconium" Strats from 2006 (with rosewood board, abalone dots and 3 tone sunburst over alder) have AV57/62 pups with the middle as RWRP. noise canceling in positions 2 and 4. Walter, would you imagine these, too, were done in a similar fashion? I'll have a real good look at mine, if this is the case.
good question! i suppose you could just crank up an amp and touch each pickup's magnets without also touching anything grounded, like the strings. they should all be reasonably quiet if that middle pickup was properly done.

Boris Bubbanov
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
OK.

Here's what I get. The middle pickup, in 2 or 4, will be just slightly more percussive when touched lightly with a metal probe than its neighbor ( decent volume ), but in the process of making and breaking contact with a middle pup pole piece, there's a sizzle or arcing, hissing effect - none of which is present under any circumstances when touching the neck or bridge pup.

How about that?!

Boris Bubbanov
07-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Just did the same procedure on a Jimmie Vaughan, stock Tex Mexes, RWRP middle.

Here, the percussive sound is precisely the same, all 3 pups, and there's no sizzle or arcing hissing sound. None; all 3 pups are as quiet as a single coil could be under the circumstances.

Doctor, you are definitely on your game!

++

BTW, both guitars have the 2d tone knob directed only to the bridge pup, and there's a base plate on both bridge pups, either guitar. Only difference I can add is, the 60th "Cubic Zirc" has a Delta, no load 2d tone pot and the Jimmie does not, and the Am Se has more factory shielding as is in stock form.

Husky
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM

The drawback is, now that pickup will have the magnets right against the hot end of the coil, rather than the ground end. This will cause the magnets to be noisy when touched.

100% correct ! But ! if they are indeed the plastic molded bobbins and you can guarantee the wire will not short out against the magnets you can use some conductive nickel print or even carbon paint over the magnets on the bottom and connect them to the ground eyelet. This will take care of that problem but as Walter says ONLY flip magnets on a plastic bobbin molded Fender pickup. Any attempt on a traditional pickup will 90% of the time kill the pickup.
You can also get the pickup rewound by us for $30 and re-magnetized if needed the opposite direction.