PDA

View Full Version : Akai DPS12 needs a digital interface

Markorock37
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I've had an Akai DPS12 12 track recorder for a few years and it works flawlessly. I scored it for next to nothing. Only problem is, I've been using the RCA master outs when dumping the tracks into my computer (which is using Kristal by the way). I would like to keep the signal digital, I believe this would make it easier to get the tracks into the program without having to time align the tracks since I have to click the recorder play button and the record on the computer at the same time. I've been able to resync them in the computer but its a royal PITA. The DPS12 has an optical out and I'm just curious as if there's anything on the cheaper side to connect this baby up and would it even make anything easier? I'm sure the sound quality would greatly improve, but again I don't really know.

This will be used primarily to record demos and such for my band. I'm using a PC with USB only, does not have firewire.

Markorock37
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
So I'm guessing probably all I need is a sound card of some sort with optical in, any recomendations?

eeglug
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I have an Akai DPS16, also with a digital out. In my PC I installed the m-audio audiophile 2496 pci card which has digital input. It's a solid reliable interface. If you're really wanting to do USB, the m-audio Transit is probably the cheapest interface with digital in.

Note that the digital in only gives you 2 track stereo into your computer. If you're transferring your source tracks to mix in the computer you can only do two at a time and you will have to align them in your computer. There's no way around that. You will however get the benefit of keeping your data digital.

Markorock37
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll check those both out

Markorock37
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Looks like the transit was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch!