PDA

View Full Version : reinhardt amps

toneboy
08-23-2009, 02:00 AM
my search for great tone has gone in many directions.
i guess i have missed the reinhardt line of amps in my search for an amp.
i have checked out there site,wow!there are some killer sound clips there.
the clips of the 18 and of ampzilla are some of the best rock tones i have heard.
the tones im hearing in these clips are the OD tones i have been looking for.
my question for those of you that own one of these amps is do they really sound as good as the clips im hearing,or is this more of the mix down magic that i have been let down by so many times with other amps?
there arent any to try where i live,so any advice on these amps i would be very thankful for.

joek86
08-23-2009, 05:06 AM
The clips are not an exaggeration, if anything the amps sound better in person. I have had 4 or 5 of them and currently own two.

~Joe

coldfingaz
08-23-2009, 05:08 AM
The 18 is a mindblowingly great sounding amp

DICKIE C
08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
I used to own an 18, I think you have to really pay attention to the cab/speakers that are being used in each respective clip. The clip by Greg Martin (for the 18) is probably very accurate as long as you are playing thru a vintage 412 w/ vintage celestions. Won't sound that way thru, say, one of his 212s w/ reinhardt speakers. I think there is always going to be some mix-down magic. All said, they are quality amps made by a quality person.

joek86
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
The speakers and speaker cabs will influence the tone, no doubt. I just went throught that with my 18. In the combo with one of Bob's lead cone speaker the amp is much brighter than my 2/12 w/the same speakers. Not just a little..........alot! Tried it with my Scumback H/M75 mix and didn't like it at all..... The Storm w/ H/M= Heaven....
~Joe

Hendrix95
08-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Those Greg Martin clips are some of the best I've heard. Does anyone know which channel he's running through?

I used to own an 18, I think you have to really pay attention to the cab/speakers that are being used in each respective clip. The clip by Greg Martin (for the 18) is probably very accurate as long as you are playing thru a vintage 412 w/ vintage celestions. Won't sound that way thru, say, one of his 212s w/ reinhardt speakers. I think there is always going to be some mix-down magic. All said, they are quality amps made by a quality person.

FFTT
08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
To The Great And Powerful Bob!
:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

farlowhigh
08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Bob's amps all sound fantastic to me! I own the 18 and I played a MI-6 for a few months (on loan) and also got to check out the Sultan...they all sound amazing...I can't imagine being disappointed by one of Bob's amps. He is also a great guy to deal and his wife does a flawless job with the tolex as well. Buy with confidence, I say!

cbpickin
08-23-2009, 10:03 AM
The 18 is a great amp. It actually exceeded my expecations when it arrived. With a strat, the cleans are awesome, not sterile sounding in any way, like some other Marshall flavored amps I've tried. With an LP, the rock tones are excellent without any help from pedals. But, it does mesh with pedals very well also.

Ud Reks
08-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I ordered my Titan SV last year after I did an amp blowout with 12 amps I had never before played. I bought all 12 off EBAY, had them in my home at the same time, and I spend several days dialing each one in as best I could, then spent many many hours putting them up against one another.
(And no, I'm not rich, a year and a half ago, EBAY was offering 10% in EBAY Bucks , and in addition I used 25% from MS's cashback program. I was buying used amps for 35% off the used EBAY price. I bought 12 in 2 days, with the idea of playing them and turning ALL OF THEM around quickly).

At the time, I had a Carol-Ann OD2-100 and a Two Rock C. Sig. 1 (sold both of them later) as I was trying out Dumbley amps. Great amps, but I wasn't happy with a few things about them, so I started looking around. Looking for Classic Marshall/Vox types. I had a Fuchs Train 45, Reinhardt 18, TopHat Emplexador MkII, Suhr Badger, Orange AC30TC, Splawn Quickrod III, Bogner Shiva, Soldano SLO-100, Egnater, Dr. Z Maz Sr., Cornford Carrera.

The Reinhardt 18 sounded and played best to me. When I realized I could add SV and also pull two tubes from the Titan, the order went in. I loved the responsiveness of the 18, the loose organic feel, and I was floored by the fact that the cleans, when you dime the drive, keep the gain down, roll back the guitar volume, were fat and thick. Fantastic. Maybe not as good as the Dumble-clones, but great sounding just the same. I really bonded with it, and was twice as happy when my Titan arrived a few months later. It's been a year now with my Reinhardts, couldn't be happier.

Ud Reks
08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
By the way, I play through Reinhardt's straight cab with Heritage G12-65s.

Fuchsaudio
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Bob builds a real nice amp.

HeeHaw
08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I've had nearly all of the Reinhardt amps. I still own a JKC33 combo and absolutely love it. The one I miss the most is the storm 50 that I traded off on a vht d60.

dbeeman
08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I had a titan, Very nice cleans and drive there. Bob is one of the good guys too. Great service and fine human. If he is building the type of amp you want I wouldn't hesitate. Also, his prices are sub-stratospheric. No extra charge for fairy dust and magic mojo.

CAC
08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I have been using an 18 combo for the last year and a half. Outstanding amp. It's the one I put all others against. The tone is sooo organic and 3D it's unbelievable. My only small complaint is the amp sounds best turned up (I know, duh!!!). If you can crank the amp you get the same tones you are hearing at the recording, but cranked up it is pretty damn loud which is fine for live use, but not great for bedroom practice. Both channels are amazing. Of course, you can now order the amps with power scaling so I can't imagine a better amp for classic hard rock tones and slightly broken up cleans. I just ordered the new Willard pedal he is offering and it should get here next week. I imagine it will pretty much make all of my other overdrives Ebay material if the pedal sounds as incredible as his amp. Also, outstanding customer service!!!

auburn-grad
08-23-2009, 12:54 PM
..and let me reiterate what a few of the other posters have mentioned.....Mr. Reinhardt's customer service is second to none.....

...for example.....I bought a used Ampzilla from a fellow TGPer a few years ago....loved the amp, but it was way too loud for my house (at least thats what my wife said...hehehe)......anyway, I put the amp up for sale in the emporium a few weeks later.........now, before this, I had never spoken with Mr. Reinhardt nor did I order this amp directly from him......but, he saw my posting in the Emporium and he PM'd me and asked if anything was wrong with the amp....he said he could/would alter it for me to make it 'more to my liking' if I wanted him to.....

....now, THAT is customer service....! ! !

alivegy
08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I tired out a storm after listening to the clips on his site. What you hear is what you're going to get. The amp actually sounded even better than they look, which is hard to do. And another vote for Bob being a great guy to talk to.

pickslide
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Amazing customer service, even if you buy one of Bob's amps used. I owned a Jester and a JKC33 both nice amps. I would like to own another one some day...probably Ampzilla or an 18.

farlowhigh
08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
The Willard is an amazing pedal! It is definitely one of the coolest distortion pedals I have ever tried. I bought it on the spot after trying one out for about 5 minutes...very cool pedal and I can't wait to see any further Reinhardt pedals.

DICKIE C
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
The Willard is an amazing pedal! It is definitely one of the coolest distortion pedals I have ever tried. I bought it on the spot after trying one out for about 5 minutes...very cool pedal and I can't wait to see any further Reinhardt pedals.

What does it sound like? What other pedal out there would you compare to? I'm very curious about this pedal, got any sound clips?

Shnook
08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I own a MI-6 and it's an excellent sounding, very well built amp. Not a single problem in the year and a half that I've owned it. Bob is awesome to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another amp from him. If only I had some extra $$$.... :beer

I bought the amp after hearing the clips on Bob's site from the NC Ampfest years ago. At home the amp indeed sounded like the clips. No worries.

toneboy
08-23-2009, 10:57 PM
i really want to thank all of you for your input.
if i can get close to the tones im hearing,with the right speaker of course.
i would be very happy.
the 18 may not have enough gain for me.
the ampzilla would have the gain im after,can it also get some of the 18's lower gain od tones?
of course im also thinking about the storm hg.

MusicGearGuys
08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Ive had a Fat Albert, Sultan, and a SHG in the shop as well as the Willard.
All are top notch craftsmanship and have amazing tone.
Bob has been an absolute pleasure to work with.
Thumbs up for me all the way!

Gregory

farlowhigh
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
The Willard is basically in the Rat family and I believe that is why it has that title (reference to a movie about a guy named Willard who gets along with rats--but have to admit that I didn't get it myself---had to be explained to me).

I never had an original Rat and so I can't really compare them but I am sure Bob put his own spin on it as he always does.

great pedal!

daveS
08-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I have a couple of Bob's amps and they rock.
He's tops in customer service too.
-d

DICKIE C
08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
i really want to thank all of you for your input.
if i can get close to the tones im hearing,with the right speaker of course.
i would be very happy.
the 18 may not have enough gain for me.
the ampzilla would have the gain im after,can it also get some of the 18's lower gain od tones?
of course im also thinking about the storm hg.

Yes, IMO the ampzilla and the Storm would get you the lower gain 18 tones. In fact, if I ever go back to Reinhardrt in the future I would get one of these two. I played a jcm800-ish (like the storm)prototype of his a good while back, and it was simply awesome. I discovered that I prefer the big-bottle tubes as compared to the smaller ones.

Bad Juju
08-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I bought an MI-6 from a fellow TGPer based off of the clips on his site. Sounds even better in person than the clips IMO. I'm using it through a Mesa Boogie Widebody 1x12 with an MC90 in it and love it.