PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide Sweet Honey or Sex Drive

Bloomfield fan
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I am torn between the Mad Professor Sweet Honey and Durham Sex Drive as my next purchase. I generally prefer lower gain, vintage style sounds. I already own a Catalinbread DLS and a Fromel Death is Gain (his modified TS type). I am thinking Mike Campbell, Elliot Easton, EC's first solo record and 461 Ocean as well as Derek and the Dominos.

chetz
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I have booth and they are both good and different from each other. Actually my son cofiscated the sex drive and took it back to college with him so I don't have that much experience with it. It does has a neat little compression switch which the SHOD does not. He liked the Sex Drive a little better and I liked the SHOD. The MP pedal is a little more expensive and may be a little harder to get ahold of. You really can't make a wrong decision here but I think, based upon your comments, you might really like the Sweet Honey. If not that is one that can be flipped real easy and you can try the Sex Drive.

ecbluesman54
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
What amp/guitar are you using? The only reason I ask is that I have a Sweet Honey, and really like it, but sounds much better through a overdriven amp to me. I have never tried the Durham Sex Drive.

Bloomfield fan
08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Headstrong Lil King (Black Face Princeton) with a 12 Weber and a Savage Rohr 15 (Celestion G12H)

wbm68
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I am torn between the Mad Professor Sweet Honey and Durham Sex Drive as my next purchase. I generally prefer lower gain, vintage style sounds. I already own a Catalinbread DLS and a Fromel Death is Gain (his modified TS type). I am thinking Mike Campbell, Elliot Easton, EC's first solo record and 461 Ocean as well as Derek and the Dominos.

It's very easy actually.
Do you want an overdrive or a volume boost pedal?
The Mad Professor Sweet Honey is an Overdrive pedal, the Sex Drive is NOT.
The Sex Drive is a great pedal to use AFTER your OD pedals to get a volume boost for solos.
Again, it is NOT an OD pedal. Even the manual explicitly states that.
Two completely different pedals.
For your Headstrong amp you'd need to decide if you want a pedal with or without mid hump. The Clapton stuff is generally a Tweed amp. To get that from your non tweed amp I would suggest you look into pedals that have a mid hump.

In my opinion:
Great mid hump OD pedal (e.g. like a TubeScreamer) is the H.B.E. PowerScreamer
Great flat OD pedal is the Fulltone OCD and the Durham Mucho Boosto

erksin
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I'd say neither and get an HBOD instead. Pairs beautifully with the DLS in my experience, and if you've got some pickups with decent output like P-90s you'll definitely cop some Mike Campbell sounds with it..