PDA

View Full Version : CP 60's Strat vs HWY 1?

peterjh85
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
What would you guys go for these days? :dunno

I'm going back to my roots (I learned on a Strat). So I'm dumping my tele and GAS'n for a strat now. I'm not looking to spend over 1K, and the Hwy 1 and the CP 60's look great. Here's are the major differences I see:

HWY 1:
Nitro finish
alnico pups
USA made
6 pt trem
9.5" radius?

CP 60's:
Poly finish
CS 69 pups?
MIM
some custom trem
12" radius

Now in terms of tone, fit, and finish, do you have any other opinions?

Thanks!

peterjh85
09-03-2009, 09:31 PM
still debating...

geonew
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
cp 60 for my dollar

bootheyankees
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Look in to the pickups in the CS '60s. I remember reading that they aren't the same as the CS '69s? Not sure just something to check out. For what it's worth, I love my Highway 1 strat. The neck feels perfect for me, big frets, big headstock looks sweet, and the pickups are actually pretty decent to my ears.

furry
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
a used American Series/Std or Road Worn beats either of those.

BobBarkerBeast
09-03-2009, 10:38 PM
That Classic Players 60's strat really kicks ass. Definitely not the best out there, but amongst one of my favorites. And you can get them used for under $500 is you take the time.

JumpMarine
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
When I bought my CP 60's I a/b'd it against several American Standards, couple of Hwy 1s, an EJ Strat and a Hot Rod '62. Fit, finish, feel and tone was quite a bit better than any of the Am Std or Hwy 1. Only the EJ and '62 were better, but not $600 better.

peterjh85
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
What is it about, lets say an american std., that makes it so much "better" than the Classic Players 60's strat?

That Classic Players 60's strat really kicks ass. Definitely not the best out there, but amongst one of my favorites. And you can get them used for under $500 is you take the time.

strat6866
09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Shoot me a PM if you decide on the CP 60. I know where you can get a used sunburst one pretty cheap. Not mine but I could help you out with it.

geonew
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
When I got my CP 60, I got rid of my Amer. std.,...no regrets here

Boris Bubbanov
09-04-2009, 07:53 PM
All about personal preferences.

The big factors on the Highway One, if newer than mid 2005, are really enormous frets and pickups and tuners that could be better. But those negatives are balanced by your freedom to put some nice boutique bridge parts on it, which you cannot do with the CP60. I'd be looking at a Jimmie Vaughan, myself.

Let me go back to playing my Tele. I'll think of something. :^)

rwijaya
09-04-2009, 08:06 PM
CP'60 for me, it's a nice guitar overall.

JumpMarine
09-05-2009, 07:14 AM
All about personal preferences.

The big factors on the Highway One, if newer than mid 2005, are really enormous frets and pickups and tuners that could be better. But those negatives are balanced by your freedom to put some nice boutique bridge parts on it, which you cannot do with the CP60. I'd be looking at a Jimmie Vaughan, myself.

Let me go back to playing my Tele. I'll think of something. :^)

Actually Callaham does have a 2 pivot bridge for the Classic Players and their stuff is the top of the heap for replacement hardware for strats and teles.

FenderBigot
09-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I think the Hwy1's are the best value for MIA Fender products... it allows you to tweak/replace parts without freaking out about how much the initial investment may have been. I really like my Hwy1 strat... I'm planning on some updated parts to the bridge/trem and maybe a new pup or two. Other wise it's a fine guitar.

Boris Bubbanov
09-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Actually Callaham does have a 2 pivot bridge for the Classic Players and their stuff is the top of the heap for replacement hardware for strats and teles.

As I understand it, Mr. Callaham sells saddles, blocks, trem arms, springs, claws and hardware for this import CP plate. But he does not manufacture a replacement 2 point plate, just as you need your own plate for an American Series, American Standard or American Deluxe bridge assembly upgrade.

Now, you could order a new Fender AS bridge plate from Mr. Darren Riley in Raleigh, NC (he just got this in recently) and put the new Callaham bits on that - that'd be a nice setup, and the Fender AS plate is nicer than the import version on the CP Strats.
But that's a lot of worry. I like buying a "turn key" assemblage I can just swap in and out of different guitars, like Bill offers on the AV compatible models.

Oh. I forgot to add. I like the look, feel, function (and sometimes I think I hear a better sound) on this AV 6 point design with the hardened screws.

peterjh85
09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Boris, any links to those bridge parts you mentioned? What effect would swapping out the bridge plate have? Any other suggestions on what parts to swap on the CP 60?