PDA

View Full Version : Sekova Guitars

IronPaws
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
So, I won a 70's sekova tele off ebay for a great price and now that I've got it I'm amazed by the tone and the build. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows anything about Sekova? i know they are a MIJ guitar maker from Japan but that's about all I can find...anyone else have any info?

THanks in advance

Stringz
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Sekova's were made in Japan. I'd have to check a few references to tell which factory made them, but my weak memory tells me Matsumoku , the same place that made the Aria's of the day along with many others. I have a nagging feeling that it may have been Teisco/Kawai, though. The headstock shape on the Sekova hollow bodied guitars I've seen combined with the dot pickups and rocker switches found on those hollow bodies are typical Teisco/Kawai of the period. I'll have to do a little hunting to find out for sure.

I hope the photos below are displaying.

Here's a Sekova hollow body on the right.

http://www.junkguitars.com/junk6.JPG

Here's an early Sekova solid body.

http://www.junkguitars.com/sekovatiger.JPG

The floral vine pickguard pattern is typical of 60's Teiscos, as is the large "staple" on the headstock.

Note the pickups with a line of 6 prominent dots on both guitars. Gold foil pickups are also common.

I am aware that Teisco did make a Telecaster copy at some point and that they are somewhat hard to locate now.

I'll be back with more when I find out more.

Stringz
09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok, had a heck of a time but found a pic of a Teisco tele

http://www.geocities.jp/visrds/teisco-tldx-33.JPG

I hope the pic shows as it came from a Japanese website. Does yours look anything like this? Note the pickups. They have two rows of 3 poles instead of having all 6 inline. That would be a distinct feature. Don't let the size and shape of the pickups fool you. They may or may not be humbuckers. I have an SG copy here that has what looks like mini-humbuckers but are really single coils. I've also seen Teisco teles with more Fender like pickups and hardware. I'd have to search some more to see if I can find a picture for you.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/pictures/silvertonetele.jpg

This is a Tele Star, another brand made by Teisco/Kawai. Again, non-typical pickup configuration for a tele but note the two pickup switches. Again, typical of Teisco/Kawai guitars, and the "staple" is again present on the headstock.

Billy Penn
09-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Didn't Sekova or their Japanese manufacturer make the Ampeg "Heavy Stud" Tele? Those were kinda cool.

Stringz
09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
OK, back again

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/vintage-and-custom-electrics-and401970s-onlyand41/identify-a-late-60-ibanez/?action=printpage

Follow this link to a Teisco telecaster that looks like a real telecaster. Your Sekova may look like this.

Stringz
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Didn't Sekova or their Japanese manufacturer make the Ampeg "Heavy Stud" Tele? Those were kinda cool.

I found a pic of the one you mentioned here

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ampeg%20heavy%20stud/blackwaterruns/f940dbf7.jpg

I really can't say which with any certainty, but an Ampeg SG copy I once saw looked identical to the Cimar or Lyle that I have except for the headstock and they were made by Matsumoku. Ampeg had an association of some kind with LD Heater who distributed Lyle guitars. LD Heater was owned by Norlin, which also owned Gibson, but it was not part of Gibson. LD Heater distributed imported copies of Gibsons' most famous models, some more exact than others. Their Hummingbird/Dove copies are really nice but made with cheaper materials. It is possible Ampeg got hooked up with Matsumoku through their connections at LD Heater.

After further research, it turns out that Ampeg was also owned by Norlin at the same time they owned LD Heater so an Ampeg-Matsumoku connection can likely be drawn.

IronPaws
09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Stringz,

Thanks for the replies, mine looks like the one off the ibanez website but the headstock is flamed, a maple neck and no Bigsby.

I'm starting to love this thing, it's really well made and has a great voice.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow

Stringz
09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Stringz,

Thanks for the replies, mine looks like the one off the ibanez website but the headstock is flamed, a maple neck and no Bigsby.

I'm starting to love this thing, it's really well made and has a great voice.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow

That would be nice. If it is a Teisco made copy, I would like to see it. They so rarely come up for sale and there are few pictures available that actually look like a real Fender tele. Rare in this case doesn't mean valuable, though. Only a few Teisco/Kawai models are both rare enough AND popular enough that they command prices over $500. Most that you find don't even make it to $200 on ebay. In case it wasn't obvious, those old guitars that most people consider crap are something of a hobby of mine.

IronPaws
09-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, I'm a huge fan of MIJ guitars since I also have a Love Rock and a Greco Les Paul so when I found it on ebay and it was so cheap I took a chance and it is fantastic.

Tomorrow when it's sunny out, I'll take some pictures and you can see what i mean.

I'm really falling in love with this thing (even though the guy before me had the high E string set to a ridiculously low action)

mc5nrg
09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Norlin owned Ampeg....you sure about that?
I thought it was Magnavox followed at some point by MTI or a similar 3 letter name. That Teisco Fender copy is pretty late and probably Fuji Gen Gakki.

picnic
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Sekova was my first electric. I think the first amp I had was a Sekova too. 8" speaker, 1xel84 buzzy, fuzzy box.
the guitar later succumbed to mods done by a Skilsaw and a few Pete Townsend like whacks on an amp. It was a 16 year old's dream come true.

Stringz
09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Norlin owned Ampeg....you sure about that?
I thought it was Magnavox followed at some point by MTI or a similar 3 letter name. That Teisco Fender copy is pretty late and probably Fuji Gen Gakki.

Teisco is made by Teisco. They did not farm out the work to other firms. After the Kawai buyout, they were made by Kawai, naturally.

From Wiki entry for Lyle guitars

L.D. Heater Music Company

The history of Alembic instruments shines some insight into the history of the L.D. Heater Music Company.[1] (http://www.alembic.com/family/history.html) "1973 A small music distribution company in Beaverton, Oregon called L. D. Heater Music Company, read the article in Rolling Stone and it interested them enough to take a little trip to San Francisco. They wanted to discuss the possibility of Alembic making a more standardized form of instrument that they could distribute to their dealers. L. D. Heater Music was owned by Norlin Inc. Norlin was based in Illinois and owned Gibson, Ampeg, Epiphone and other music related companies. We negotiated an exclusive distribution agreement for a limited time. They gave me the purchase order I required, and this was the beginning of the manufacturing of a standard high end instrument for Alembic and the entire music industry."

mc5nrg
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Everything you read on Wikipedia isn't always correct*...I don't believe Norlin owned Ampeg.

*Rather an understatement, actually. The stuff I read on Wiki about things I have a lot of actual experience with is usually close but somewhat inaccurate.

Stringz
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Everything you read on Wikipedia isn't always correct*...I don't believe Norlin owned Ampeg.

*Rather an understatement, actually. The stuff I read on Wiki about things I have a lot of actual experience with is usually close but somewhat inaccurate.

I found the original source of the quote from Wikipedia.

http://www.alembic.com/family/history.html

It is on this page devoted to Alembic. Whether that makes it any more true or not, I couldn't say. The same paragraph is quoted on many guitar related sites and even appears in some guitar related books so if it is an error, then it is a widely propagated one.