PDA

View Full Version : Are Bill & Becky Lawrence Out Of Business?

dank
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I need more of Bill's 1/4" plugs for my board. I have left messages for Becky on her voicemail, and I have sent her e-mails. Nothing. This has been going on for a few weeks now.

Does anyone have any information?

frankfalbo
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
They signed some deal with Lace for distribution and manufacturing recently, maybe that's occupying their time and/or they're in the process of switching over voicemails and emails, etc.

Maybe at some point you're supposed to call Lace.

bonertone
09-17-2009, 11:24 AM
well, it's bad news....Bill has terminal cancer and Becky is having a tough time with her M.S. plus trying to be there every minute with Bill.

They shared a booth with us at summer namm and Bill played brilliantly in our booth but you could tell his health was pulling him down, since namm he has really taken a turn for the worse and is unable to eat...

Lace has stepped up to the plate to take on the further production of Bill's products so they will be available again soon.

Yr Blues
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Wilde Cables are the best. Take it easy, Becky and Bill

jamison162
09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Bill's cable and connectors are tops. I couldn't get by without them. I wish them the best.

turtleheadblues
09-17-2009, 01:01 PM
well, it's bad news....Bill has terminal cancer and Becky is having a tough time with her M.S. plus trying to be there every minute with Bill.

They shared a booth with us at summer namm and Bill played brilliantly in our booth but you could tell his health was pulling him down, since namm he has really taken a turn for the worse and is unable to eat...

Lace has stepped up to the plate to take on the further production of Bill's products so they will be available again soon.

Very sorry to hear. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Summer NAMM and telling him I thought he was an amazing player.

charmboy
09-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh no, that's terrible news. I just did some rewiring on my board last night and was once again praising the ease and genius of BL's solderless conectors!

Best wishes Bill and Becky at this tough time.

Rid
09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
:(
Aw that is bad news...

Ben C.
09-17-2009, 01:06 PM
My goodness - absolutely sad, sad news. They are both wonderful people and I wish them both strength at this time.

erplander
09-17-2009, 01:06 PM
That's very sad to hear. :( I wish the best for both of them.

Love their cables and have always had pleasant dealings with them.

BadMelonFarmer
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Very sad news indeed. Thoughts with them and their family

Stevil
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
saw Bill play at the Fender Bar out in Fullerton about a year or so ago. Kicked everybody's ass with a jam he called the Mexican Blues.

dank
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
A very sad state of affairs for Becky and Bill. I wish them both well. It certainly minimizes my desire for for more connectors.

kludge
09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
According to the Lace/Wilde/TDPRI websites, manufacturing operations for Bill Lawrence are moving to Lace. They're picking up the winding stations and such lock stock and barrel and moving them into Lace's facilities. I'm sure Lace will be taking over orders, website, and other day-to-day business, and Bill Lawrence plans to devote his attention to design work once the move is complete.

Apparently, the Lawrences and Lace brothers have been friends for a long time, and talking about this for over a decade. I think it's a great idea! Bill Lawrence and Lace are probably the most forward-thinking companies in pickup design - even EMG looks old and conservative now, sticking with designs from 20+ years ago. Lace has a better sales/distribution operation and a younger staff, but they're still small and intimate enough to treat Bill's designs with respect and not change things.

Both of my electric guitars have either Bill Lawrence or Lace pickups. This makes me happy. :)

zombiwoof
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
According to the Lace/Wilde/TDPRI websites, manufacturing operations for Bill Lawrence are moving to Lace. They're picking up the winding stations and such lock stock and barrel and moving them into Lace's facilities. I'm sure Lace will be taking over orders, website, and other day-to-day business, and Bill Lawrence plans to devote his attention to design work once the move is complete.

Apparently, the Lawrences and Lace brothers have been friends for a long time, and talking about this for over a decade. I think it's a great idea! Bill Lawrence and Lace are probably the most forward-thinking companies in pickup design - even EMG looks old and conservative now, sticking with designs from 20+ years ago. Lace has a better sales/distribution operation and a younger staff, but they're still small and intimate enough to treat Bill's designs with respect and not change things.

Both of my electric guitars have either Bill Lawrence or Lace pickups. This makes me happy. :)

I'll bet one thing will change, and that is the price of the Bill Lawrence stuff. Their prices have always been very reasonable, but if Lace is running things I don't think that will continue to be the case.

Al

secretchord53
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the failing health, but it sounds like this is a good deal to keep his name and his products going for a long time.

Does anybody know if lace will continue to sell BL's cable? i'm looking to rewire my board, and i had wanted to do it with BL's patch cables...now i'm not sure how to go about getting them.