PDA

View Full Version : Best Buffer Pedal

4Delays
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm looking for a good buffer to put in front of my pedals. I've looked at the lehle sunday driver and the lovepedal line driver. Does anyone have any experiences with these or any other good buffers. thanks.

benschmidt
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Pete Cornish LD-1 is really nice.

severinsteel
09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Axess BS 2 is nice!

fox5150
09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I use TheGigRig Humdinger for this exact purpose. I have it mounted underneath my pedaltrain on one side so that it doesn't take any valuable pedal space on top! The owner of TheGigRig is a member here (TheGigPig) and he was ever so helpful when I bought mine.

Simon

mullytron
09-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm in the same boat, looking to buff my board.

Anybody ever tried BADGER EFFECTS out of Texas? He's got a bunch of buffer items on the 'bay, and they look pretty sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140346362369&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

frozze
09-18-2009, 09:12 AM
If you're looking for a small and inexpensive one, check 'this1smyne' stuff out.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=491371

Champ
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
If you're looking for a small and inexpensive one, check 'this1smyne' stuff out.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=491371

I have one. Excellent

Loop-Master
09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Axess BS-2 gets my vote

jcarpenter
09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I have tried the Radial Big Shot Buffer and had a real expensive boutique buffer from Jim Sommatone. Both did the job but I stumbled on to something better.

The real sleeper for the money is the Radial Big Shot Mix Pedal. It's not meant to be used as a buffer but if you run it right its the best I have heard. Just place it in your chain turn up the mix level knob and jump the send and return jacks with a short cable. Trust me.

fuzzfoot
09-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I sold my Axess after getting the Cornish LD-3. The Axess is great, but the LD-3 is better. Plus, you get the tuner/mute.

Catoogie
09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
How about the Sarno Black Box?

robcollins
09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
The Skrydstrup BF2M gets my vote.
It has 2 independent buffers plus a seperate tuner out and mute footswitch.
you connect your guitar to the input of the BF2M and your pedals go in between the 'send and return' jacks then from the output of the BF2M into your amp.

Brilliant......but expensive.

I also recommend the Gigrig Humdinger.

TooManyHobbies
09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Creation Audio Labs Mk4.23 48v is the best (most neutral), I've found.

tjmicsak
09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Creation Audio Labs Mk4.23 48v is the best (most neutral), I've found.

I have one and only knew of it being a pristine clean studio quality boost. So it is a buffered boost?
Nice as I planned on puting it last on my board and that would have a great send to my amp.

coolhand78
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
The best buffer would be the cornish LD3... truely amazing... I was absolutely blown away by mine... But if thats out of your range then check out the barber launch pad... Its a great and very versatile pedal...

TooManyHobbies
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I have one and only knew of it being a pristine clean studio quality boost. So it is a buffered boost?
Nice as I planned on puting it last on my board and that would have a great send to my amp.

Turned all the way down, I find it to be a completely flat buffer. I use mine "usually" as a line driver/volume control at the end of my board.

I found this to be a good review: http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1492

Reckedtrek
09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Axess BS-2 gets my vote

Good luck ever getting one :messedup

I don't think Mario is ever going to restart production on them, although I hope he does. Maybe by the time they're available I'll need one again? Or maybe I'll save $100+ and order one from this1smyne!

secretchord53
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Surprised we got this far without mentioning the MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff. I have version 1, and it does exactly what I need, serving as a buffer at the beginning of my chain. Definitely puts back those highs and adds a sheen without getting too out of control. Before the Boost 'n' Buff, I was using a ZVex SD2in1. The ZVex is awesome, but I found that it didn't really play nice with my other pedals, whereas the Boost 'n' Buff does. The BnB is also much cheaper.

flampton
09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Doobtone, but I think he retired

Painasusual
09-19-2009, 12:58 AM
I use a Boost n Buff. It's the best one I've tried.

KennyM
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I know people think I'm crazy about this as I've posted on other threads, but....... the Cornish buffer is absolutely the best. I'd rather plug into a Cornish buffer than plugging straight into the amp. It just sounds to me and more importantly, feels better to me.

tdarian
09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I know people think I'm crazy about this as I've posted on other threads, but....... the Cornish buffer is absolutely the best. I'd rather plug into a Cornish buffer than plugging straight into the amp. It just sounds to me and more importantly, feels better to me.

Which Cornish buffer is the one to get, and where can theybe gotten?

KennyM
09-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Any of them really..... I believe it's the same buffer in all his products.

I have one board that has four PC pedals on it and another one with an LD-3. As a buffer they all seem interchangeable.

Jules-RM
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I use a Boost n Buff. It's the best one I've tried.
Same here, version 2 with the separate gain control. Really nice booster as well.

coolhand78
09-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I've got the LD3... I completely agree with everything the previous poster said... I got the ld3 for the tuner out... Can be gotten at www.petecornish.co.uk...

brianf
09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I have tried the Radial Big Shot Buffer and had a real expensive boutique buffer from Jim Sommatone. Both did the job but I stumbled on to something better.

The real sleeper for the money is the Radial Big Shot Mix Pedal. It's not meant to be used as a buffer but if you run it right its the best I have heard. Just place it in your chain turn up the mix level knob and jump the send and return jacks with a short cable. Trust me.

I'm using the Radial PB1. Also has a booster you can kick in.

brianf

mibu
09-20-2009, 02:36 AM
I have to say it again - the Lehle Sunday Driver is absolutely fantastic in the 4Mohm input position...

GTBJ
09-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Same here, version 2 with the separate gain control. Really nice booster as well.
I also have a v2 BnB and love it to pieces. Best pedal purchase in years. This one is staying on my board for good.

archtop
09-20-2009, 03:24 AM
can I ask some stupid questions... What does a buffer do? Why do people hate Boss Pedals because they have buffers? Is it desirable to have one good buffer in the start of the chain, and buffer-less pedals after that?

Mike33
09-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I use the Buff Puff from Tonefreak. It replaced my Axess BS-2.

http://www.tonefreak.com/BuffPuff.html

timmerel
09-21-2009, 11:27 AM
So between the Cornish and the Lehle, which is better, and is their any real difference with the This1myne mini buffer?

buddachile
09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm using the Radial PB1. Also has a booster you can kick in.

brianf

+1:)

Lespaulsignature 74
09-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I use the Lovepedal Line Driver Mini Buffer in the front of my chain and I am very pleased with it. It cleared up my tone without making it too bright. Another plus is it's size, it has a tiny footprint.

Eastwood
09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
+100

I use the Buff Puff from Tonefreak. It replaced my Axess BS-2.

http://www.tonefreak.com/BuffPuff.html

James
09-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I sometimes use a Custom Audio Electronics 1x2 buffer/splitter at the end of the chain to split to two amps. My large board has a Demeter Fat Control which is a mid-boost/buffer. I like them both very much for that "little push over the cliff" where needed.

KennyM
09-21-2009, 11:59 PM
As mentioned in some other threads with people taking issue with me, nothing to me beats the Cornish.

Basically all buffers are going to change the impedience so that it reduces the load on your pickups preventing high end loss. Since this usually (always?) involves passing your signal thru an IC or transistor network, this process is not done in a passive manner. As with any audio signal chain what comes out the other end could differ from product to product depending on the selection of components used. You may like it or you may not, but most of the manufacturers make high quality buffer products.

That said and agreeing that maybe the Cornish circuit is doing something more than simple buffering, I can't tell you how much better my guitar sounds through one of Pete's boxes. Stupid to say I know, but it sounds better to me than plugging straight into the amp. I don't know why exactly, but it does.

This is subtle of course and tough to A/B, but I would be willing to bet money that if you put one of Pete's buffers or pedals on your board and gigged with it for a few weeks, you'd feel like your strings suddenly went dead if I pulled it off your board. I'm not just talking about high end loss which just about every buffer solves to a certain degree, but in dynamic range and lack of crud in your signal. Hard to explain, but easy to feel.

Cap'nMayhem
09-22-2009, 01:28 AM
I use a Das Boost for signal loss as well as for a boost at the end of my chain.

timmerel
09-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Kenny, the two Cornish buffers have slightly different specs. Is there any discernible difference in use between the two?

Tuberoast
09-22-2009, 06:03 AM
I use a Doobtone Micro Buffer. Very happy with this little unit.

bradsarno
09-22-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm a little biased, but I don't think it gets any better than the Steel Guitar Black Box:

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html

Brad

timmerel
09-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Brad,

What's the difference between your pedal and the Cornish, and why is it better?

rastaman
09-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I have a Boost and Buff and a buffer from this1smyne. Bother are a really effective, especially for the price.

clydes001
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm not intending to hijack this particular thread, but I've considered getting a Danelectro Fish and Chips to use the EQ and to use as a buffer (in the bypassed setting). I know this isn't a dedicated buffer pedal, but has anyone tried this? Is the bypass circuit neutral?

KennyM
09-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Kenny, the two Cornish buffers have slightly different specs. Is there any discernible difference in use between the two?

I don't notice any difference between the dedicated buffers (LD-3) and the buffer qualities obtained by running through any of the four Cornish pedals I have. I am not certain, but I suspect Pete uses the same buffer circuit for all his pedals.

As far as the dedicated buffers you have the LD-1 which is basically "buffer in the box", LD-3 which is a LD-1 with mute switch and tuner out and the NB-3 and NBM-2 which have a variable preamp boost and tuner out/mute (NBM-2).

bradsarno
09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Honestly, I've never personally compared them side by side, but I do have a couple of customers who claimed the SGBB was every bit as good sounding as (or better than) their PC custom tube buffer, and the SGBB was also a lot less expensive.

I don't exactly know the PC buffer topology and componentry, but I do know that the SGBB is a 100% vacuum tube signal path using a unique combination of both triode sections, uses a true 300V B+ supply, and also uses premium selected plate and other resistors, film and foil capacitors, DC heater supply, a parallel tuner output, and a variable input impedance control for tailoring the amplitude of the pickup's treble peak. It's very high end throughout. All hand built by me and my wife. And the SGBB is easily available too. But now I'm just braggin. It's worth trying.

Brad

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com

Hi Brad,

What's the difference between your pedal and the Cornish, and why is it better?

Tubbs
10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I've tried Badger effects and I l.o.v.e. LOVE everything he's made for me. So far he's made me 7 pedals and I couldn't live without 'em. Really nice guy too.

Tone Meister
06-25-2010, 06:28 PM

LD-1 for the highest quality buffer to be had. The LD-3 if you want to add in the mute to tune feature. Really look into Pete Cornish and you'll discover a true icon in the world of tone.

AndiP
07-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Hi folks, new here with a quick question - do you guys who have buffers on your boards prefer them at the beginning or end of the chain, or in the mid - say after wah and overdrive but before the modulation and delay fx?

Cheers to all.

Andi

tonewave
07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
only buffer I liked is visual sounds buffer
only buffer that didn't sound like a buffer
apparently they're going to release it in its own box

but zvex SHO is what I use now and I love it

barber launch pad is what I use to line drive to the amps, again not really a buffer but does the job brilliantly

the sarno black box is great for acoustics, but for electric the SHO actually just beat it