PDA

View Full Version : Silvertone 1344

jscballer
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I just got a silvertone 1344 but the top section has been removed so have have to rewire all the vol tone and trem knobs. I found a schematic but it doesn't account for all the pins on the sockets that are for the controls. If anyone has one of these amps and could take a picture of the layout for the controls and also which pins each of the control wires goes to I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

John

HipKitty
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
cross check you amp with Wards/Airline amps...some Silvertone's and Airline's were the same amp...might find schematics and/or pics of your amp out there...

WaltC
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
You may need to use a combination of the schematic (you got this one? http://www.angelfire.com/mech/beansamps/schems/SILVERTONE1344.pdf), and the RCA and/or GE tube manual(s) to make sure you get all the pinouts correct. Pictures would help some, but can also be misleading and confusing on the older true point-to-point wired circuits. Sometimes connections were made just because they were "handy" and make circuit tracing a little like following individual strands of spaghetti in the bowl without moving any<BG>.

jscballer
10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Well the sockets aren't for tubes. The upper section which has all the controls is connected to the lower section which has all the tubes and transformers and everything else by 2 sets of wires that have socket bases that plug into the main section.

WaltC
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
OH, those "sockets"... on the schem. I listed above that's the part outlined in blue. The "sockets" should be keyed so they only plug into one another one way, are you saying the wires have been removed from the socket or from the components/terminals on the ends?

If it's a keying or a reattachment problem then you'll need to trace the wires at both ends and compare to the schem., and make sure they're attached appropriately.

Looks like there's only four wires and the shield for the plug. One of the four is the trem. intensity and may be run (according to the schem.) separately from the plug. Even if you used pictures you'd want to trace the wires to make sure you were right before you fired up the amp. The good news is that it looks like all the wires are low voltage signal wires so the chances of being lit up like a neon sign are minimized. The bad news is that the wires look like they're low voltage signal wires and thus much more prone to noise and RF interference.

jscballer
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
When I got this there were no socket bases with it so I have rigged up some and am trying to figure out which wire from the upper section connects to which socket below.

From what I can tell, the ac/fuse wires go through the socket, as do the filament lines for the on light and two or possibly 3 different ground lines. This weekend I will open it up and try tracing everything back and see if I can figure it out using the schematic. The only thing is from both schematics I've seen its seems there is a pin that is unaccounted for.

WaltC
10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
yeah, the Sears and Roebuck Co. one on Schematic Heaven

(http://www.schematicheaven.com/bargainbin/silvertone1344.pdf)

makes it a little clearer. Looks to me like it's a two-wire system w/ 7 wires in one bundle (socket? power and trem stuff) and three in the other (pre-amp stuff)

You don't have to use a plug/socket arrangement, you can direct wire the connections instead. Might be a little safer for the AC fuse wiring anyway. hmmm... maybe move the fuse holder to the lower chassis (or add a new one and leave the old one in the upper chassis to "cover the hole") and avoid the danger of running wall current between the two chassis.