View Full Version : Signs when Amp Tubes need to be replaced.
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Currently when I trun my tube amp to the point of breakup I tend to get an overdrive sound which is not as warm as it used to be. It sound more metallic. Is this a sign that my tubes need replacing....? What are the signs to look out for when its time to change amp tubes?
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I had an interesting problem recently- One side of my mesa 2:90 poweramp started swelling up and down in volume, all on it's own. I retubed - problem solved.
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
from the mesa boogie site
• Low end response is not as clear and distorts earlier.
• You turn your amp’s master volume up to hear the level that
you are used to hearing.
• Eventually you will hear 'crackling' 'popping' sounds, often accompanied by:
• 'Swelling' volume levels.
• Hissing, 'shooshing'.
• Sputtering, 'grumbling'.
• Microphonic squealing (feedback type sound).
• Loss in signal in one or more modes of the amp (channel, reverb, fx-loop).
vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.