PDA

View Full Version : Tone Difference Between Twin Reverb RI and Super Reverb RI

MGuts
10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Is there a tone difference here or just a power difference? I want something that is going to stay clean pretty loud. I know that's what the Twin is meant for, but every concert I've seen that had a guy playing a Super has had the best tone I've heard. I would imagine that the Super would still stay pretty clean at a loud level. Anybody have experience with either or both of these?

Tag
10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Is there a tone difference here or just a power difference? I want something that is going to stay clean pretty loud. I know that's what the Twin is meant for, but every concert I've seen that had a guy playing a Super has had the best tone I've heard. I would imagine that the Super would still stay pretty clean at a loud level. Anybody have experience with either or both of these?

I like the Supers, but they do not have tons of clean headroom. If you neede LOUD and clean, I would get a dual Professional. Not nearly as sterile as a twin, and can give you super like tones at a much louder volume IMO.

MGuts
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Are these Reissue Supers worth the price of admission in your opinion? I see a lot of people rip on them on here, but I'm wondering if all the negativity about them is really true.

I like the Supers, but they do not have tons of clean headroom. If you neede LOUD and clean, I would get a dual Professional. Not nearly as sterile as a twin, and can give you super like tones at a much louder volume IMO.

Tag
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Are these Reissue Supers worth the price of admission in your opinion? I see a lot of people rip on them on here, but I'm wondering if all the negativity about them is really true.

They sound fantastic IMO.

MGuts
10-22-2009, 07:12 PM
They sound fantastic IMO.

GOOD. From the posts I've read of yours, you seem to like a good clean tone too :aok. These Super Ri's are a hell of alot easier on the finances than the other options for this type of tone I've seen on here, too.

jazzandmetal?
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Super sounds MUCH sweeter to my ears.

matchless
10-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I like twins,but I like my chieftain even better for for a clean sound with 12" speakers,the super just has a certain sound which is unique,which is why I always seem to have one around.

stratpaulguy86
10-22-2009, 11:02 PM
GOOD. From the posts I've read of yours, you seem to like a good clean tone too :aok. These Super Ri's are a hell of alot easier on the finances than the other options for this type of tone I've seen on here, too.

Of the two I like the Super much more. I owned the Twin Reverb RI before but sold it soon after. Very clean, pretty sounding, but didn't have as much harmonic content as a Super Reverb. I personally think that the RI amps are overpriced especially given your alternatives. You can get a used Allen or other clone for the price of a new Super. I hear that the RI amps have reliablity issues and the speakers are not the best. I opted to go vintage and picked up a pre-master volume '68 Silverface Super Reverb...best move I've ever made. You can pick up good ones for less than a grand all day long. My '68 embarasses all the reissues that I've played so far. You have to work hard to make it sound harsh and that's a problem I had with my TRRI. If you stumble across a Silverface Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, or Vibrolux Reverb for a decent price I would jump all over it.

SuperReverb2
10-23-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a big fan of the Super Reverb reissues. NOT such a big fan of the Twin Reverb reissues. Neither will get you the sweet tones of a cherry original, but IMHO, the SRRI is closer than the TRRI. I recently swapped out the stock Jensen P10R's for the Weber CTA 10's. These are Weber's alnico version fo the vaunted mid 60's CTS alnico 10's that came stock in so many of the original Super Reverbs. BIG difference for the better. Weber really did I nice job on these speakers. They make the Jensens sound shrill and bright in comparison. I play my Super Reverb on 4 most of the time. Nice FAT clean tones.

:)