PDA

View Full Version : Malekko E616 Reviews or Sound Clips

Unadan
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Please post your reviews here with or without sound clips. I had one in hand a few days ago but didn't have a chance to play it to get an idea of its quality.

slopeshoulder
10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
there's good clips on the malekko site in the meantime

jkaffenb
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi,
Mine showed up Saturday and I just love it. I don't have any other delays to A/B it with, but have owned a few nice one's in the past and it is definitely a keeper for me. I absolutely love the brighter buffered delay tone option and have put is through the paces with a Telecaster and my new Collings 290 into a Quidley 1x12 combo amp. I tried it in front of the amp as well as in the effects loop and it sounded great in both places. The 650ms is plenty of delay for me and I am totally happy with it. Well worth the wait in my opinion. I will test the modulation before I comment on that as I haven't played with anything but the delay time, mix and repeats so far. In addition, I was also testing to make sure my tone was in tact with the pedal on and off with the buffered/brighter sound and all the tone is there.

Fantastic pedal so far and I'll test more features and update soon.

Thanks,
John

Unadan
10-25-2009, 10:02 PM
^Thanks - nice review.

I'd really like to hear how it sounds vs. the Malekko E600 Bright and/or Dark models.

Jim Moulton
10-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I would rather have a Spring Chicken Reverb, not into Delay pedals

succor
10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Coloration has been my major gripe with my DMM for the past year. I've put it everywhere on my effects chain and it's just not something I can leave in all the time, but I can't let go of the the great aspects of the DMM. I guess I have to accept it as a love/hate thing.

I received my 616 on Saturday and have spent a few hours with it since then. Like the poster above, I'm very impressed with the ability to maintain my original tone. The 616 sounds great anywhere in the chain, on or off. The repeats are sparkly and crisp, even with the mix knob pretty far down. Oscillation begins surprisingly early on the Regen knob, usually before 12:00 on mine. I think I would have preferred more leeway, but I suppose it may be helpful to have that much easy 'noise' on tap when you want it.

The modulation is fun, with the most musical settings close to minimum depth for a chorusing that's still crisp, and not to squishy. I'll need to practice with it more to appreciate it in full. Turning down the delay time all the way is a cool trick with the modulation on.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my DMM, but the 616 isn't going anywhere, either. At $150, it was an easy choice.

jetofuj
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
It would be awsome if you compare 616 to Malekko's Echo 600 Bright/Dark, Memory Lane, Memory Man and Maxon AD-900. I hope I get my 616 soon.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Mine just landed but I won't have time to play with it until this afternoon.

It's smaller than I thought it would be, which is a good thing for those that need pedalboard space like me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/FenderAmpGas/034.jpg

kelvinator60
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I got mine on Sat. Was out of town until Sunday night. Got it and tried it and mine has issues. Switch crackles when engaged and then the signal in true bypass degraded and sounded muddy, buffered was slightly better.

Called Pro Guitar Shop and they are sending me a label for return. I am taking a refund as I don't want to wait anymore and I do really like my Malekko Echo 300D. So I will keep using it for now. Kind of a drag but I think just got the unlucky one is all. I don't need it bad enough to keep waiting and whatnot.

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Got mine and just tried it. The buffered signal sounds fine but in unbuffered mode, the fundamental note is super dark just like the repeats. I don't think it should be like that but I may be wrong. Better call PGS on it. Other than that everything else seems A-OK and sounds great.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
EDIT::: Deleted comments because I'm an idiot.

Also, the modulation gets kind of crazy above 0. I'm assuming that it works in conjunction with the delay settings but I'm not finding it very useful.

slopeshoulder
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
uh-oh. QC issues?

kelvinator60
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
That is what it is sounding like. I just assumed mine was a one off. I am sending mine back. Just don't want to wait anymore.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Ignore my post above please! User error!

Anyone having any success with the modulation speed above Zero? I can't get it to sound anywhere close to the proguitarshop demo.

I'm new to modulation on a delay but it just doesn't sound right. Help!

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm getting just a little distortion here and there, only when engaging it though and not every time.

I changed power supplies and the TB mode still yields darker notes. Anyone else experiencing this?

Malekko
10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
In some setups true bypass pedals can roll off your highs...that's why we put a buffer in there.

The modulation speed should be straight forward..at 0 is it's slowest speed, and 10 fastest..it works in conjunction with the depth pot.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
In some setups true bypass pedals can roll off your highs...that's why we put a buffer in there.

The modulation speed should be straight forward..at 0 is it's slowest speed, and 10 fastest..it works in conjunction with the depth pot.

Sorry about the distortion post above. I can delete it if you want. It really was my mistake!

The modulation just seems a little extreme above Zero with the depth knob above 9 o'clock. Sort of oscillating kind of sounds and not very chorus-like. Again, I'm a noob when it comes to modulation in delay so any tips would be great!

I actually think it sounds brighter than my DM-2 which is great!

Malekko
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry about the distortion post above. I can delete it if you want. It really was my mistake!

The modulation just seems a little extreme above Zero with the depth knob above 9 o'clock. Sort of oscillating kind of sounds and not very chorus-like. Again, I'm a noob when it comes to modulation in delay so any tips would be great!

I actually think it sounds brighter than my DM-2 which is great!

Try this, keep the speed at zero and just bring the depth up around 8 or 9:00
just where it starts to "kick in" the main TIME will also play a role in how the depth sounds...it's a small window (depending on the TIME) but you can do chorusing easily. for a vibe just bring the speed all the way up and the depth up slightly for the chorusing setting
It is much brighter than the DM-2 with brightness means grittier repeats, especially if you're hitting notes hard. You;ll notice in our clips and in the PGS video we use that to accent a note...IMO it's sounds really cool
Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok, now I'm getting it. I had the modulation at extreme settings and didn't get that it works in relation with the Time knob.

I'm starting to gel with it now. As I said in my previous post, I like that it's brighter than the DM-2.

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM

OK. That makes sense. In TB mode with a dirt pedal kicked on in front of it, the fundamental sounds fine. I don't mind the buffer at all, I just wanted to make sure my unit was fine.

Still have a lot of noodling to do.

kelvinator60
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I was getting a distorted clack whenever I turned it on, but it was electronic and not just the click of a switch whether it was battery or AC. Then the true bypass sound started to progressively sound darker. It was weird because it did not start out that way. There was a difference between true bypass and buffer (which I am used to since I own the 300D) but it just started getting progressively worse over a period of about 15 mins.

Again I decided to return it as defective and stick with my Malekko 300D for now. I like it as much as my old Boss DM2 and that is saying a lot. There was just something up with my 616.

Malekko
10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I was getting a distorted clack whenever I turned it on,

that's static in the switch.

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
After getting some great tips from Malekko, I really like this pedal. Again, I had the modulation set too extreme but after trying Malekko's settings and playing with it for longer, I'm getting some sweet modulation with the delay.

I have to say that because it is brighter, I'm replacing my DM-2 with it on my board. The buffer really helps the sound as well and I'm keeping it in buffered mode.

greenlander
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd really like to hear how it sounds vs. the Malekko E600 Bright and/or Dark models.

+1

Would also love to hear an A/B between the 616 and the new Tech 21 DLA w/ tap tempo if anyone has access to both.

Burgs?

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Just went another round with it and I'm really enjoying the tones. I really can't compare it to my Timebender though, they're just so different. I wanted a second delay as to use it for having that constant ambient background noise-a bit below the mix thing going on. Whether it's rhythmic chording, rhythmic arpeggios, long sustainy chords or leads, the 616 has a great niche for this. As your playing, the notes just seem to mesh together in such a good way. It makes me want to play.

How is this comparing with a CC? I would suspect that it'll blow it away but I've never played a CC yet.

kelvinator60
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
that's static in the switch.

As I said there are some other sonic issues with it as well.

Malekko
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
As I said there are some other sonic issues with it as well.

It's impossible for true bypass to progressively sound darker...it's just connecting the input to the output. Things like pickups, instrument cables, amps etc result in your highs being robbed in true bypass mode...

kelvinator60
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
It's impossible for true bypass to progressively sound darker...it's just connecting the input to the output. Things like pickups, instrument cables, amps etc result in your highs being robbed in true bypass mode...

Right, I own the 300D so I know the difference. The sound degraded in true bypass. It progressively sounded darker and darker than from when I first plugged it in. I checked everything in the signal chain, isolated things compared and contrasted with the 300D and did not have these problems with same guitar, same cables, same amp. I played again tonight with my 300D with same setup. No issues. Something is off on the one I got. Not sure what it is as I agree with you nothing should be wrong.

It's a bummer but not the end of the world. It happens. Again I don't have any hate for Malekko. My 300D is ALWAYS ON. LOL thanks for jumping in.

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 09:23 PM
And just finished yet another round tweaking. I have to admit that I'm starting to find this sweet spot that's very DMMish. Seriously, I wonder if it has anything to do with the components getting burned in. I've had it turned on now for 8 hours straight and it seems to sound better and better. The knobs seem to be a little more forgiving too. I mean when I first plugged it in, the regen. knob would start self oscillating at 11:00. no matter where the Time was set. Now it'll go to about 1:30.

The more me fiddle, the more me like.

No others out there?

FenderAmpGas
10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
And just finished yet another round tweaking. I have to admit that I'm starting to find this sweet spot that's very DMMish. Seriously, I wonder if it has anything to do with the components getting burned in. I've had it turned on now for 8 hours straight and it seems to sound better and better. The knobs seem to be a little more forgiving too. I mean when I first plugged it in, the regen. knob would start self oscillating at 11:00. no matter where the Time was set. Now it'll go to about 1:30.

The more me fiddle, the more me like.

No others out there?

Same here. Never tried a DMM but the more I play with this pedal the more I like it. Got some great tips from Malekko on how to dial in the modulation.

So far my favorite setting is a slap back delay with modulation on. 0 speed and about 8 o'clock depth. I like the sound with the buffer on.

shoden
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I got mine today and will be checking it out tomorrow night. No access to gear at the moment... Looking forward to it. Looks great!

12guitdown
10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Same here. Never tried a DMM but the more I play with this pedal the more I like it. Got some great tips from Malekko on how to dial in the modulation.

So far my favorite setting is a slap back delay with modulation on. 0 speed and about 8 o'clock depth. I like the sound with the buffer on.
Yeah I've been following your posts. I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in yet. I know a lot of people here were on the wait list. They're probably too busy tweaking their new toy.:crazyguy
I remember a thread a while back about a guy complaining that his new KOT didn't sound as good as his older one and thought Mike had changed to different components cuz he ran out of the good ones or whatever. AnalogMike replied that everything in the circuit has always been the same and then suggested that he leave it plugged in for a few days to let the electronics settle/burn in. Mike said it would make a difference and should sound the same as the older one. Even after 8-9 hours I truly hear that this applies with pedal too. I plan on leaving it plugged in for three or four days straight. I clearly hear that it's really improved and hope that it even gets better.

I know it's still the honeymoon bla bla bla but honestly my first, immediate thought/impression was, "Oh no, I'm either gonna have to send it back or sell it on the Emporium."

Now it ain't going nowhere.:D

presence
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Got mine today and it rocks! Great tape slapback and chorusing sounds. Just keep the modulation low. Lots of other great sounds in there as well. The true bypass/buffer switch is awesome. Really a nice, true analog delay at a great price! Hats off to Malekko and PGS!

For those still waiting, I ordered mine in the heat of the gear page whining about the 616 on October 7. Fortunately, the world continued in its solar orbit and also continued to rotate on its axis even though the 616 was "delayed"...

secretsoundz
10-26-2009, 11:55 PM
:rockinI'm diggin' mine! No issues here!

Morningstaru
10-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Hmm I have 3 delays but I still want one...

bseamus
10-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Mine sounds good so far. Went back and forth with CC and they both have great points. I will also have more time tues. to try it out.

succor
10-27-2009, 02:07 AM
I may be able to post clips soon. In comparison to my DMM, the 616 has more of an edge to the repeats. The DMM is softer, more gentle, and more atmospheric. My DMM is also capable of more repeats before oscillation. The 616 starts chirping before too many repeats (regen knob). I don't think either delay is any better than the other. After this comparison, I'm glad to have both, and it seems perfectly reasonable to have multiple analog delays around for their unique traits.

irvinz
10-27-2009, 02:37 AM
succor. u need to have a video comparison =)

Jim Moulton
10-27-2009, 03:06 AM
They are sold out folk, just like that, in a month, there will be one with a dwell knob on side , then D?C:crazyguy

-Seriously, Better than CC, or different, I did not really like the videos as much as their Spring Chicken

Jim

tantamo
10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I've seen a few posts about distortion (harsh, non-analog delay distortion) in the repeats. Is there anything the user can do about it? I'm assuming not but thought I would check.

FenderAmpGas
10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I've seen a few posts about distortion (harsh, non-analog delay distortion) in the repeats. Is there anything the user can do about it? I'm assuming not but thought I would check.

I was one of those posters and it turned out I had a bad connection. When I took the pedal off the board and ran it by itself, I didn't hear any distortion. Also, if you look back, one guy who sent his back was having static issues when clicking the pedal on.

You might check with Malekko, or maybe he'll jump in here, but I haven't noticed any distortion since I solved my connection issue. Malekko did mention grittier repeats when you dig in hard in a previous post.

12guitdown
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Also there's an internal gain trimpot.

ChaseTMP
10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm jumping in feet first and debuting the 616, sound unheard (in my rig) at a show tonight. I give the knobs a few quick twiddles and if it passes muster, it'll see some use, if not; only my Timefactor will be stepped on.

Isaiah4Autumn
10-27-2009, 02:36 PM
shoot someone is selling them in the emporium for $250 shipped...absolutely absurb but if someone wants to pay it...blah blah blah

12guitdown
10-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Someone is selling one on Ebay for $215 shipped.
I think this pedal will soon be in stock, but that's just an assumption. For all I know, these quick flippers may be on to something and everyone will be going nuts for an E616 in the weeks or months to come.:crazy It's fun to predict what might be the next Skreddy, Tim, Klon etc.

So far I'm really diggin' it. The self oscillation's very easy to control. Next show is this Friday, can't wait.

Probos
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Got mine yesterday (pre-ordered it from PGS). I freakin love it.