PDA

View Full Version : 6L6's: JJs are better for rock?

Wheelbarrow
11-14-2009, 02:59 AM
I've read several threads about what 6L6 to use for whichever sound, and it seems like folks are saying that =C= is the best new production 6L6 all around, but that JJs are better if you're using a newer high gain head like a 5150/Dual Rec.

True or False?
And Why?

One reason I'm asking is because I need to retube my fender super sonic, and I like to play a lot of 80's hard rock/metal on the burn channel (More so than I play clean stuff).

nofearfactor
11-14-2009, 03:53 AM
I bought JJ 6L6s for my 5150s and Mesa MKIVs. I dont know if they sounded better than the Rubys I was using or not. I really couldnt tell.

(I'm now using Sovtek 6L6s in one side of my Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc power amp and Svetlanas in the other side. Not much difference. Was going to go to JJs but I dont think it necessary in a rack power amp getting its tone generation from an AX-FX and a Digitech GSP1101 preamp/processors).

candid_x
11-14-2009, 06:14 AM
I think those generalizations are a matter of personal taste and opinion, and it also can depend whether the amp has been biased cold or hot.

I have JJ 6L6's in a Laney LC50 that sound great. But in my GH50L, the Svet/SED winged C sounds better to me, and that amp is the high gain amp of the two.

They both made a good 6L6. I haven't experienced the loose pin/socket problem, reported in some JJ's.

Leo27
11-14-2009, 07:27 AM
The SED Winged C 6L6GC is the best.

pedalcr8z
11-14-2009, 07:38 AM
The SED Winged C 6L6GC is the best.

:aok agreed, came stock in my Carr Rambler. Pretty tough to get a bad sounding 6L6 in my experience!

James BCM
11-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Spent two long days with several bias meters testing Sovtek 5881, ARS JJ 6L6, and ARS Winged C/SED 6L6's in both of my Soldano 44 BCM combo amps. Although the 5881's sounded great, they are only a 19 watt tube, so when I found the perfect bias point for them at 28 Ma., I inserted teh JJ's. The bias was only 3 Ma. higher, so you can plug and play these tubes in Soldano amps without a problem. I definitely heard a more full, louder, better rounded tone spectrum with the JJ's than the 5881's. Bias that worked great when really pushing preamp section of amp was 35 Ma. Then switched to SED's. They sounded really good in mid range, but maybe a little too much mid range in bias settings from 28 Ma. to mid 40's. They just didn't fit the bill for me and my 1 x 12" WGS Black Hawk combo where the JJ's were the best all around. I ordered more from ARS this week.

Don't snub your nose on the Sino - China tubes. Lots of builders are using them now, and I have a quad of ARS Sino - China KT 66's coming next week to AB with the Genelex Gold Lion KT 66's I have in my one off SLO-100.

JJ's for me so far.

LB
BCM

Jon Silberman
11-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I like and use these. I have Winged C's in one of my amps, too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/GT6L6GED-large.jpg

rockon1
11-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Spent two long days with several bias meters testing Sovtek 5881, ARS JJ 6L6, and ARS Winged C/SED 6L6's in both of my Soldano 44 BCM combo amps. Although the 5881's sounded great, they are only a 19 watt tube, so when I found the perfect bias point for them at 28 Ma., I inserted teh JJ's. The bias was only 3 Ma. higher, so you can plug and play these tubes in Soldano amps without a problem. I definitely heard a more full, louder, better rounded tone spectrum with the JJ's than the 5881's. Bias that worked great when really pushing preamp section of amp was 35 Ma. Then switched to SED's. They sounded really good in mid range, but maybe a little too much mid range in bias settings from 28 Ma. to mid 40's. They just didn't fit the bill for me and my 1 x 12" WGS Black Hawk combo where the JJ's were the best all around. I ordered more from ARS this week.

Don't snub your nose on the Sino - China tubes. Lots of builders are using them now, and I have a quad of ARS Sino - China KT 66's coming next week to AB with the Genelex Gold Lion KT 66's I have in my one off SLO-100.

JJ's for me so far.

LB
BCM

Those Sovtek 5881's arent really 5881's. They are tough as nails durable and I bias them as 30 watt bottles since they can output as much wattage as most 6L6's. They can also handle higher PV's than most 6l6's. Bob

Trout
11-14-2009, 08:30 AM
To my ears, I prefer the =C= over the JJ in a side by side comparison in the same amp.
So my conclusion is Winged =C= over JJ, I am right, everyone else is wrong, no further need for discussion or comparisons of tubes that were not mentioned in the original post.

I'll be over

Here
:hide

:D

INX
11-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I tried the Sovtek 5881, SED 6L6GC and JJ 6L6GC in my Zinky Mofo, which has 520-580v on the plates depending on the tubes. I like a big rock sound.

JJ's were the best, tonally, by a long shot.

Live Wire
11-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Based on my own experience, The Winged C's will give you a broader palette of tones, and break up a bit earlier than the JJ's. If you need headroom, go with the JJ's.

VanR
11-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I find the JJ 6L6GC's sound like the high end is rolled off. The SED's sound a little bright to me. That said I have some really cheap Chinese 6L6GC's that I love. I guess it depends on the amp more than anything.

Wheelbarrow
11-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I forgot about the TAD tubes. TAD = Legit, just another modern tube, or hocus pocus?

grizdeluxe
11-14-2009, 04:33 PM
The JJ is a great sounding tube. I had a set in my Kustom Coupe and they had a nice tone. When I sold the Kustom I put them in our singers JTM 30 and they warmed up that amp quite a bit.

slowhandjr
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Might need new tubes in my 57 twin Ri. Was wondering how sovtecs would be in that amp? Or any recommendations?

Chris

Structo
11-14-2009, 05:29 PM
TAD tubes are re-labeled tubes, just like Groove Tubes are.
Some say you are more apt to get a good tube from them because they weed out the culls but I had a TAD 6L6 redplate on me after about 8 hours total amp time.

candid_x
11-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Might need new tubes in my 57 twin Ri. Was wondering how sovtecs would be in that amp? Or any recommendations?

Chris

I like a couple Sovtek tubes, but their 6L6/5881 always sounds ratty to me. Not that that's always a bad thing. But they are the opposite of refined sounding. Almost anything will sound smoother. In short, I don't recommend them.

candid_x
11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
TAD tubes are re-labeled tubes, just like Groove Tubes are.
Some say you are more apt to get a good tube from them because they weed out the culls but I had a TAD 6L6 redplate on me after about 8 hours total amp time.

I've also heard of reliability issues. Wanted to try them but was advised against.

edit after readings JT's comment. Are these bias issues, ya think, or is QC really that bad?