PDA

View Full Version : Hanson Guitars

pitseleh
11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
It's kind of surprising, but Google doesn't seem to show much in the way of forum chatter about these. Considering how slow this year's summer NAMM was supposed to be, I'm kind of shocked they aren't making more waves!

http://www.hansonmusicalinstruments.com/

I think they seem really nice. What's more, they have an original look to them. They kind of remind me of Reverend, in that respect. With so many companies starting up just to churn out the same Strat/Tele/LP designs, it's always nice to see one doing something kind of new. The price range also seems similar to many Reverends.

I like the blue Firenze with the Bigsby, but I'm actually more interested in the black Chicagoan. Their originality didn't extend that far; it looks like a cross between a Gibson and a Gretsch. Fortunately, White/Black Falcons and Rivieras are some of my favorite looking guitars, so I think they make a pretty nice combination. Unfortunately, there are no sound clips of that model on the website and it doesn't seem like anyone's bought it yet! So we'll see, I guess, if the sound/playability matches the looks.

jhc
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Cool looking guitars - also reminds me of DiPinto.

jpathanson
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the nice words about my new line. Sound clips for the Chicagoan are on the way just a little behind on that one! We just launched the line in August so reviews and awareness are just beginning! Guitar Player is in the process of a full line review.

Double cut falcons and ES330-335s are some of my fav. guitars. You nailed it when you said it was a cross between the two. I felt the mini-buckers bridged the gretsch/gibson sound, really great sounding pickups works in a hollow or semi hollow with great focus, bright and articulate but powerful! Great review of the chicagoan in the Nov issue of Premier guitar (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Nov/Hanson_Chicagoan_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx).

My guitar manufacturing background is from Lakland (11 years) but I am a career guitarist and have been lucky enough to work with some of the very best. thanks again for checking us out!

JP
www.jpguitarist.com
www.hansonguitars.com

garlzz
01-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi, just out of curiosity, where are these guitars manufactured?

kangcore
01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
i'm also curious about these instruments. any TGPers tried one of these? better yet, anyone own one? sorry JP, you don't count ;)

right off the bat, they look great, sound clips are pretty good too, and the price point is really competitive. got my eye on the Cigno, Gatto and Chicagoan. the Chicagoan particularly looks like the love child of a three-way between a gretsch, rickenbacker and epiphone. nice! although i'll have to echo the premier guitar review in saying that the logo could use some spiffing up, to suit the retro-chic aesthetic that these instruments have got goin on.

i'm hoping these instruments make their way to my neck of the woods soon. can't wait to try em out! and hopefully turn a few heads by whipping em out onstage. :)

jbangulo
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I have a friend who does all of the sound clips for Lakland. We were sitting down one afternoon after a rehearsal and he mentioned that the same guy who makes the Lakland pickups has been making guitar pickups. Then he said that the guy was going to be making a new guitar line called Hanson.

I knew that I loved the tone of the Lakland Bass guitars and I knew not to expect anything less than perfection from the man. Naturally, when I found out that there is a local dealer here in Minnesota I had to go check it out.

I played every model currently available and I loved it. My absolute favorites were the Cigno and the Chicagoan. These guitars are built well and sound amazing. The neck was a little thicker than many would appreciate but I currently play a PRS with a wide fat neck so it felt great to me. Now I just have to wait for my tax return so that I can afford one and help get this company off the ground!

Badfinger
03-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi, just out of curiosity, where are these guitars manufactured?

They are finished and assembled just down the street from me (literally 1 mile) in Chicago. I think the woodwork is done overseas.

gururyan
03-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, diggin' the Firenze myself. The all look sharp though. The Cigno ST caught my eye first but I don't a chunky neck like that.

The Cowboy Poet
03-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Why.... why would you do that to me? I was so close to saving up some money to pay my car off..... :mad:
The Chicagoan beautiful... I'd love to see it in white!!!!

EDIT: oops didn't see the ST. Nice!

rgee27
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
FYI... Mike Molenda , Guitar Player Magazine Editor owns a white Chicagoan and uses it for gigs and recordings...If you look closely at his picture for GP , he is playing the Hanson. I've played his and the one they sent for review in GP. Fret work is awesome. Pickups sound great. Nicely built. An amazing value.

mnewb1
03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Just played the Cigno and Gatto at Elderly Instruments today. I really liked the Gatto. Excellent neck, good focused punch to the pickups. Stayed in tune very well and great sound!
I really wanted to like the Cigno more then I did. Maybe I am just not a P90 guy.

I am very tempted by the Gatto.

riff1006
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Was pretty tempted by a Chicagoan P90 but couldn't find enough information on them. I wound up buying a new ES-330L. Still intrigued by them though. And they have chunky necks? SWEET!

tsar nicholas
03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I dig the Chicagoan model, especially with P-90s

Pa'ani
03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Very cool looking guitars...

Travst
03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Digging the Ian Hunter clip. Lovely guitars. What's the finish on these?

whatmeworry
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Just picked one up, and for the $$$ - can't be beat!
Great looking, feeling, playing guitar
Pickups are awesome

circusinthesky
03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Are these on par with Eastwood, build wise? They are priced similarly.

denied
10-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Can anyone comment on country of origin, materials, and build quality? These look incredible for the price..

frisco kid
10-28-2011, 08:03 PM
I believe these are made in Indonesia...the build quality is excellent. Had a Cigno and Chicagoan...my favorite by far was the Chicagoan. The mini-hums are great, clean or with dirt. Ebony board have great string clarity and snap, wish I still had that one...

DrumBob
10-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Hansons are very nice guitars, and John is a great guy. I reviewed a Cigno recently for www.********************* (http://www.*********************). I have a feeling I'll be buying a Chicagoan sometime soon, as I don't have a 335-style guitar.

2-Bute
10-29-2011, 12:58 AM
I have a couple of Reverends, interested in some Eastwoods, good to hear of another maker in the "slightly weird, relatively inexpensive" camp. Some cool looking guitars.

IPLAYLOUD
10-29-2011, 02:09 AM
I too have 3 Reverend Imports (LOVE 'EM) and kinda liked the Eastwoods. I heard that Eastwood quality can be hit or miss...then I saw/heard the Hanson Cigno. I am THISCLOSE, but I have so many Guitars already. Everything about this Guitar makes sense and is what I like to play.

pcovers
10-29-2011, 06:25 AM
They are finished and assembled just down the street from me (literally 1 mile) in Chicago. I think the woodwork is done overseas.

Is "finished and assembled" the same as:

"...examined, tested, adjusted..."

It looks like they come to Chicago fully finished and then are QC inspected before shipping. Not a bad thing or a negative, just what is says.

IPLAYLOUD
10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
There is no way they could have any finish work done in the US and sell at that price.
He would lose $$ on every guitar. From what I see, the QC on these is very very high and they are an example of how good an imported guitar can be.

axe4me
10-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I bought my Cigno from The Guitar Bar in Jersey City, NJ.
The owner Jim told me he brought one home when they arrived at the store.
Jim's playing his Cigno with Ian Hunter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=timLok2J3PI

Here's mine............

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Bbreaker/cigno5.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Bbreaker/cigno4.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Bbreaker/cigno3.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Bbreaker/cigno2.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Bbreaker/cigno1.jpg

It's made in Indonesia. Don't let that stop you from trying one out.

Toe
11-13-2011, 11:54 AM
proguitarshop sells them now. Any more opinions? I'm especially interested in the Firenze, as I'm looking for a Telecaster style guitar anyway.

Paul Conway
11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
What are the neck specs on these? (Radius, approx. depth, nut width)? Ta.

Paul Conway
11-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I bought my Cigno from The Guitar Bar in Jersey City, NJ.
The owner Jim told me he brought one home when they arrived at the store.
Jim's playing his Cigno with Ian Hunter.

If that's James Mastro (as I think it is), tell him that those Health & Happiness Show cd's were fabulous. Especially 'Instant Living.'

jsa61
11-26-2011, 10:38 AM
proguitarshop sells them now. Any more opinions? I'm especially interested in the Firenze, as I'm looking for a Telecaster style guitar anyway.

I'm Also interested in the Firenze. Anybody know what the neck radius is on this model?

lucaso
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure. I'm a fan of PAFs and the mini humbuckers have a slightly shrill ring to my ear. It is YouTube though, they probably much sound better in person. I do want to see a PGS review though.