PDA

View Full Version : Mxr Dyna Comp VS Barber Tone Press VS Diamond Compressor

Biff Cooper
11-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a compressor for my rig. Ive heard great thing from all these Compressors (Mxr Dyna Comp VS Barber Tone Press VS Diamond Compressor) but I just can't seem to pick one. Im into ambiant, radiohead stuff. Playing through a Egnater Rebel-20 w/ a matchless 2 12cab.

Hugo Da Rosa
11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Here's what I've experienced (and to some degree heard) of each of these pedals:

MXR Dyna Comp - Really squashed and really noisy...just like an old fashion compressor. If you want more chicken pickin' type compressor among the three, this one is something you should go for. But since you've mentioned you play more radiohead stuff, this comp may not be for you. The biggest complaint I hear about this pedal is the noise (although every compressor will add noise to your rig, this one seems to add a lot).

Barber Tone Press - Very punchy, lots of sustain, and overall well built compressor. I've never really crossed a Barber pedal that was not well made - each pedal is extremely well built and the Tone Press is a testament to that. The blend feature is one of its most effective features as it allows you to dial in how much compression you want to be blended in into your signal. While it's a great pedal however, I've also experienced a loss of treble. There are internal trim pots where you can adjust more treble in but even with the trim pot rolled all the way up, I was still experiencing treble loss. But that's something you'd need to try out and figure out for yourself if it'll be problematic.

Diamond Compressor - Currently using and own this. My favorite compressor of the three. As you will probably read/hear from people that have this pedal, it has a 'hi-fi' characteristic, making it a very musical sounding compressor. I wouldn't call it chime-y but it definitely adds a very smooth texture to your tone. The Tone knob is a see-saw type knob, that blends between having more or less of Bass or Treble. Cool feature but I like to leave it at noon. This compressor is meant to be a very light compressor. There's not a lot of compression that can be dialed in so if you are looking for something really punchy or really compressed sounding, this won't do it for you. It's kind of the frosting on a cake for my board...while everything else makes my sound, this kind of just adds the finishing touches.

Hope this helped. Good luck in your search!

Muzzy
11-29-2009, 02:47 PM
That pretty much covers it!!!

BillyK
11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I've got a different take...

I agree 100% on the loss of top-end with the Tone Press. Used it for years. Very good compressor overall.

Diamond was very good as well. It's an opto circuit, so it's apples/oranges when comparing with the Barber. The Diamond is very subtle, for sure, not versatile, IMO.

The Humphrey-modded CS3 was another level above both the Barber and Diamond, IMO, b/c wide range of compression, the smooth compression (no pumping) and control of top-end.

The MXR '76 Reissue is another step up, for me. Very musical, very quiet, can be subtle as the diamond, can squish with the best of them. The best of breed, for me...

...Until I found the TC Nova Dynamics! I am still working with it, so I don't want to post anything conclusive from my perspective, but so far... there's nothing that even comes close! Total control over every aspect of compression with the very best noise gate thrown in for good measure. I'll offer more info in time. I have to really wear it out first!!

You really can't go "wrong" with any of the compressors talked about in this thread. All are very good compressors.

Lastly, ANYONE looking at compressors should review Bongo's site:

http://www.ovnilab.com

Hands-down, IMO, the best compressor info available.

Best of luck in your search!!

gordonm
11-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Just bought a custom shop Dyna Comp and I love it!

VinceM
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I've got a recent stock Dyna Comp and it is very quiet. They must have addressed the noise issues.

Biff Cooper
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
The Diamond Wins it I think, I have a friend who owns one. Well, I guess now I know what to ask the Wife for for xmas. Hopefully she doest get the Bass compressor!

100JH
11-30-2009, 04:40 AM
I have a reissue Dyna Comp and a CS-2 which are both quite nice. I am waiting for the Effectrode Compressor due out at the end of the year.

http://www.effectrode.com/website/photo_optical_compressor/tube_compressor_main.htm

blackba
11-30-2009, 06:40 AM
The Diamond Wins it I think, I have a friend who owns one. Well, I guess now I know what to ask the Wife for for xmas. Hopefully she doest get the Bass compressor!

The Bass Diamond compressor just has an extra switch to adjust the sweep. It will work fine for guitar, its just more money than the regular one.

I am likely going to sell my Barber Tone press and get a Diamond Bass compressor. The tone press works great on guitar, but I don't like it as well for bass....

DanR
11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I've not noticed any top end loss with my Barber Tone Press. I use the pedal mainly with my Strat and use it particularly for the boost. I have also had to adjust the inner trim control all the way counter clockwise to tame some of the highs of the Strat.

soundchaser59
11-30-2009, 10:08 AM
The Dyna Comp is great if you install an Allums mod kit on it, much cheaper than having someone else do it, and it is easy to work on. A modded Dyna Comp even beats a modded CS3, me thinks.

But I wouldn't get rid of a Tone Press to go after a Dyna Comp. In fact, I got rid of a Dyna Comp and a CS3 after I got the Tone Press. I haven't noticed any loss of tone. But I dont like a ton of cutting edgy hi end anyway, so maybe I like it the way it is.....

CMATMODS has the compressor thing down pretty well, I wont be letting go of that pedal for a long time. Not tried the Diamond.

For $79 bucks (if the promo special is still running) the Damage Control Liquuid Blues has a really nice compressor in it, plus you get sweet blues overdrive along with it, clean blend, tone, drive, super sweet deal for $79.