PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lovepedals

eatonp081
12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I am looking for a legit distortion/overdrive pedal. I've seen the Lovepedal's Amp 50, Eternity Fuse, and Church of Tone. I have only heard these pedals from on YouTube. I am just curious about people like them. Let me know...

Thanks,

Peyton

Velvert
12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I dig my Lovepedals; I've owned three overdrive pedals. Each one had its own character I liked about them, but I was not happy with the sound I was getting out of my amp with them. I was at Truetone music to try out some delays and my daughter loved the look of the Kanji overdrive, and asks me to try it out. We both loved the sound of the pedal and it had that warm overdrive I had been searching for. I had been using an OD-9 silver mod, great pedal just too much mid hump with my amp and guitar. I had the tone level set at one most of the time. When I got home with the Kanji and played it threw my rig with just the clean channel it was amazing, the sound has just the right amount of brake up and warm overdrive I was searching for. So warm and kind of fuzzy too, in a good way. I played the Kanji and OD-9 stacked together and it sounded kind of cool, so thought I would love to try and stack two Lovepedals. I bought a Lovepedal Fuse. The Fuse and Kanji stacked together is simply awesome, the sound is so warm with my clean and dirty channels. I have the kanji drive at 12 and the Fuse drive at 2. I can also use the glass level to give it some bite if I need it too with out getting that mid hump I was living with. I get this feed back I have been trying to push out of my amp that drifts out of the notes after being held and sustained and I can get it from both channels and Lovepedals in any combinations too.

sutherland
12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Would love to try the Eternity but there are SO many variations of that particular circuit.

twinrider1
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Yes, I hope he's keeping track of his creations. An official Lovepedal family tree would be a site to see.

sutherland
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, I hope he's keeping track of his creations. An official Lovepedal family tree would be a site to see.

and a cool way to navigate the site for all his retired pedals!:aok

Sourdiesel
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I've owned three Lovepedals (Eternity, Kanji, and Les Lius) and was not impressed with any of them/dumped them quickly/won't ever buy any more of them. IMHO, Lovepedals are vastly over rated! My $0.02, for what it is worth.

johann
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I had a Vibe pedal and after some months it began doing some loud pop whenever I step on it, some people says the new pickle vibe and trem do the same...I really want those two pedals but I'm waiting to see what more people says about them.

Dog Boy
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I didn't buy into the Lovepedal frenzy until much later. I really love my 2004 Burst Eternity though. Fantastic pedal. I've owned many Es since then and although they are similar the one I have is the tops. I've also played with an older COT red and its a great tone too...however I couldn't make it fit in w/ my rig. I've also owned the vibe.

Lovepedal seems to inspire a lot of fan boiz but I've only kept one of his creations.

Curt
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Would love to try the Eternity but there are SO many variations of that particular circuit.

And because he doesn't provide a way identify which "version" "mod" " etc. is in each pedal, that's exactly why I won't buy one.
Too much $ to play silly guessing games.

marcg71
12-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I've got an Eternity and really fail to see the "greatness". Note I am using humbuckers, I've heard they really shine with single coils.

PLAYLOUD
12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

aren't they all variations of an 808 circuit? :)

Sean is a great builder and a firend. All his stuff is first class.

rawkguitarist
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
The Eternity OD is one of the coolest dirt boxes and pedals ever. I have two hand wired versions from about 4 years ago. Although, yes they have that familure OD flavor, there's so much more to them. Especially through a clean amp. It's got a perfect mix of upper mid bite, smoothness and slight compression it just fits for almost *any* dirt sound I need.

If you want to try an Eternity, by all means check out a Fuse. Doesn't have as much gain as my two, but it's so refined and cool... it's just sick.

BrianWampler
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Someone on fsb actually did that at one time...

madaxeman
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I owned a 200LBS of Tone and a hand wired PP 800 and was totally underwhelmed by both of them. It doesn't mean Sean isn't a fine builder and doesn't deserve all the praise he gets or that I would never consider trying another one of his pedals. It's just my opinion, they just didn't have the "WOW" or "IT" factor for me.

Stormbringer
12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I have only one, an Eternity Kanji 9, and it absolutely rocks, especially with a Strat. His pedals are overpriced though and there is a hype surrounding his creations.

But the one Lovepedal experience I've had so far is of an amazing pedal capable of several awesome tones. And Sean is a great guy to deal with too.

Strat58
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi since I bought mine Black Eternity and COT50 Gold mine searching days are over :)
Best combo I bought in years should have bought those 2 years ago, saved me a lot of money and trouble.
Peace Strat58

100JH
12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Interested in checking out a Purple Plexi...

DSnellen79
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I have an Eterinty Kanji and Kanji Classic Distortion. I really like them but I didn't at first. They kinda grew on me. I play an american strat loaded with texas specials into a few pedals, that you can see in my sig, into a fender twin reverb. The amp is very clean and I use my pedals for all the dirt. I set my Kanji E last in the dirt section after the classic distortion. The two of them were made for each other. The Kanji E is very, very warm. Sometimes too warm for my taste even with single coils. However the glass control works well to brighten things up a bit. I have the drive control at about noon. I use the Kanji E as a solo OD or "Heavier" OD. Then I have the Kanji Classic Distortion set up infront of the Kanji E as recomended. I have the drive set at about 10 oclock and a slight volume boost. This gives me what I think is a Gilmour kinda feel with a little delay thown in the mix. You can also dial in a good Clapton woman tone or a singing sustain reminisant of Santana. Satriani, Vai, and Johnson is in there too. I play alot of different styles of music in a worship band; jazz, blues, rock, and sometimes get a little funky. I use a Timmy or Sparkle Drive for most of my rhythm stuff with an RC booster. The Kanji's give a really good singing smooth OD/distortion. One note can ring for ever if your careful with the feed back. I don't notice any change in my over all tone. I think they are very amp like. The only thing I think the "pedal' changes is the warmth of your sound. My set up has a bright sound but the Kanjis warm it up real good. The only catch is, the way I have the Classic Distortion set up I can't just switch to it. The settings are off. I use it to boost the Kanji E. If I use it alone its two quite. If you use it alone you have to bump the volume or boost it with a clean boost. Another thing I noticed is when running both of the kanji's the glass control will brighten the sound even more than just one pedal by its self, its like have double the glass available when they are both on.

peterjh85
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
The main thing keeping me from using his pedals is how the Kanji Eternity I had reacted to buffers after it. If I engaged anything buffered after the Kanji E, the tone would get so shrill - like night and day difference. Of the many overdrive and distortions I've used, none have ever brightened up so much like the Kanji Eternity when using a buffered pedal after it. I've read somewhere it has something to do with the high output impedance that doesn't work well with buffered effects.

DSnellen79
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't know that. I don't have anything after mine except delays and sometime soon modulation. Thats something to think about.

foo_3001
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
The main thing keeping me from using his pedals is how the Kanji Eternity I had reacted to buffers after it.

I like how my RoadHouse E sounds - but I hate how picky it is where itīs placed on my pedalboard / what comes after of before it.

Itīs really limiting what other pedals one can have on the board. Too bad it sounds ok, otherwise Iīd boot it off instantly.

690MBCOMMANDO
12-01-2009, 03:19 PM
My personal favorites that I have are the Tan Kanji and the Kanji 9

Lance
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, I only have one LP so far. The Pickle Vibe, and for a mere hundred and twenty smackers, I could not be more pleased with it. Depending on where it is in your chain, and what other pedals you have around it, will determine how much like a vibe it will sound. vs how much like a phaser it will sound. Just the other night, in my bedroom no less, I was trying out different configurations, and found THE one. So, we have strat or tele into a two loop buffer > RMC Wizard > Pickle Vibe end loop one. Loop two is Ethos TLE > AM TS9/808 silver > AM mini bi-comp/Ross > Hot British. Now, with the gain turned up on the Hot British, I don't need any boostage from the TS. I usually have the gain set very low for it, so it does a fair replication of a 4-hole plexi. Well, for a pedal anyway. But, the other night I was showing a buddy, and if you cock the wah all the way forward with the speed on the vibe sweep just right, kick on the HB with the gain higher up, and I was getting killer Hendrix tones without feedback. Kick on the Ross compressor, and killer Jimi with feedback. So, I naturally broke into Star Spangled Banner, and blew my roommate away with gorgeous sound waves. Long story short, it all depends on how you use your pickle, as to how well your pickle will work for you. For a 4-stage phaser circuit it sounds killer. I know you are looking at OD pedals, but for the price, and size it takes up on the board, worth every penny. I can't seem to find much feedback on the Micro Baby delay. I hope that doesn't mean that it isn't very good, because I'll probably get one any way, when I have some extra cash lying around.

Shiny McShine
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I love Sean's creations. You can't go wrong with any of them. I have two Eternitys.

aaronblues
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
i've owned about 10 Lovepedals, with the only "double" being a Cot50 and a Amp50mini. Pretty much loved all of 'em. Got to try about half of them before buying, so the "which version" problem never came into play. They sounded good, they came home. While i definitely wonder about different COT versions, and often dither on spending cash for dif. ones, I'm happy with the one i bought new, and it's probably the one part of my gear chase i've been able to just "let be".
COT into E, one of the absolute best lead stacks of all time....
The new Trem and Echo are killer. I would pay a second time for an expanded "full-size" version of both.
Sean's customer service has been great. Called him up a couple of times, he answered all of my q's and B'S'ed a bit about the forums,etc. Great guy. What else can you ask for, customer service and great products?? :dunno

cheers

slagg
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
pretty happy with the amp50 so far.Did not like it at first,but sutle tweaking has made it a fav.It's all in the volume knob of the guitar.I now leave it on all the time and don't notice it until it's off.

Jet Bycraft
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I really like my COT (white box blue LED). You can here it in action during the guitar solo that I palyed at 2:56 in the following video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1octn8-YsbE

FenderBigot
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on LP's Pickle Vibe... dying to try one out.

Blues Wail
12-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I have an older white E as well as a REAL old COT 50. I will never let them go.

PEImatrix
12-01-2009, 11:41 PM
My SB Eternity is the best OD I've ever played.

Done.

Painasusual
12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I've had several lovepedals. Two HW Eternitys, a COT gold, Eternity Fuse, Amp 50, Les Lius & a Karl Fuzz.

I liked the sound of the Eternitys, but they were too sensitve about their placement in the chain & with buffered pedals. The Amp 50 & Less Lius have staid on my board. I love the sound of them.

Russorama
12-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I had an Eternity for about 48 hours. I took it back. It had some good sounds in it
and I had some fun messing with it but I'm just too spoiled by my v.3 OCD. The Eternity didn't (for me) clean up all that well with my guitar volume knob. Makes a world of difference to me. I wanted to like it really bad but I just didn't. Your mileage may totally vary and all that. Different strokes. Guitar Player RAVED about 'em. That's why I tried one. Just didn't work that well with my rig I guess.

Telecaster069
12-02-2009, 02:34 AM
The V8 Fuzz and the AMP50 will never leave my Strat board.

Toe
12-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Eternity and Echobaby are keepers for me. Really nice overdrive + great delay for the small footprint. I also have the Karl, Pickle Vibe and Amp50 on my board right now, but they will go sooner or later. The Karl is actually quite good, but I'm not a fuzz guy and want to downsize my board anyway. Pickle Vibe sounds really nice but I can't live with that resounding "pop" everytime I engage. And one overdrive is enough, so I'll probably take the amp50 off the board too (but keep it).

I think Sean makes great pedals, but of course no pedal on the face of this earth works for everyone and every rig. Maybe a little pricier (but not much) than some other pedalbuilders but the pedals sound good, look exceptionally nice on your pedal board and have a name that girls like. ;) For me they're worth their price.

wallinbb
12-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I have a handwired COT 50 Lil' China from a few years ago. It is an "always on" pedal. I use HB's on a semi-hollow body LP. The tone straight from the guitar is good for most cleans, but too thin for everything else. I have the COT 50 first in the chain, and set at about 10 o'clock. It adds girth and clarity when my volume knob is rolled down for cleans. As I roll the volume knob up, it becomes an excellent low gain OD (or med gain if I have the knob turned up on the Cot 50) and stacks great with my other dirt pedals (SRB808+ Dual Drive and/or Keeley Rat). When I was using a FD2, it provided the lower end I needed. Nothing else I have tried does what this pedal does. Seriously, it's the foundation for my board, and an amazing tool to shape the emotion in a song!

gravy
12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
i got in cautiously early on and stumbled upon 2 keepers, COT50 Lil China and one of the original "tone for 50 bones" in the folded metal box- at least i think that`s what this is?! as previous posters said the key is in using your guitar volume knob to vary sounds instead of an on/off type of pedal. essential once you get how to work `em!

HBob
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I have the Les Luis, Provalve, COT Gold and an Eternity. The COT Gold and Les Luis have some overlap but not enough to get rid of either. The LL's my favorite. Really nice stuff.

Aran
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Got a Les Lius and a Burst E HW and they are both keepers. Had an Orange E6 which was better suited for someone who wanted a higher gain pedal. That one was sold.

Calaban
12-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I know you're asking about overdrive but I can only comment on the Pickle Vibe since it is the only one I have owned or played, and FWIW I give it a B+. I think it sounds great using a clean sound, but when overdriven it seems to lose much of it's swirl.
Sounds better with my Strat than my 335...maybe this is expected.

I really like it since it does it's own kind of thing, but I have not ended my Vibe search quite yet.

missing_dave
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I like how my RoadHouse E sounds - but I hate how picky it is where itīs placed on my pedalboard / what comes after of before it.

Itīs really limiting what other pedals one can have on the board. Too bad it sounds ok, otherwise Iīd boot it off instantly.

I liked the sound of the Eternitys, but they were too sensitve about their placement in the chain & with buffered pedals.

Yep..the placement thing is not great but the pedal would'nt be the same if it did have an output buffer so...
but overall i like my eternity RH a lot and is great for strats. Definitely has its place.

cj_wattage
12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Someone on fsb actually did that at one time...
Yeah, but it was a really boring tree. No genetic diversity. ;)

dsmc80
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
It's just like anything else, to each their own. The build quality on the newer pedals is great. I can't speak of the older stuff (3+ years ago) but I enjoy most of what Sean puts out. I got rid of a vibe. I never got the click people talked about, I just like photocell vibes better. I love my Les Lius and I have an E6 too. Good stuff. I will say they play best with clean amps and single coils, although they aren't too bad with humbuckers.

roknfnrol
12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
The Eternity OD is one of the coolest dirt boxes and pedals ever. I have two hand wired versions from about 4 years ago. Although, yes they have that familure OD flavor, there's so much more to them. Especially through a clean amp. It's got a perfect mix of upper mid bite, smoothness and slight compression it just fits for almost *any* dirt sound I need.

If you want to try an Eternity, by all means check out a Fuse. Doesn't have as much gain as my two, but it's so refined and cool... it's just sick.

Agreed, I LOVE my Eternity Fuse. I sold all my other overdrive pedals!

sanhozay
12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I like his ears and his pedals are all very musical. Do not like the way his flagship pedals evolve without explanation of lineage and the fluctuating price are irritating. The Eternity Fuse sounds fantastic but some people have said they received the pedal and were confused the advertised visual of the pedal was not the same as the pedal received. That could be dealer related but different appearances and different versions are a little overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time. I like his products and love the sound samples and the many Lovepedal boxes I’ve owned were all fantastic; I should be a bigger fan but the aforementioned niggles keep me from full fanboy status. Still, it's a better guitar world with his products. Can anybody sense my ambivalence????

markw1980
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I had a COT 50 Red, and it was really cool. It is a little hotter than the other variations, from what I have gathered, and I really liked it. It was built well, and sounded like a Marshall.

davidp158
12-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Why not start a model comparison chart on this forum? The difference between the various Eternity models is confusing, and I'm not about to buy every version that comes along to find out. I have the current 3 knob, black, surface mount version Eternity. For my guitars & amps, that model Eternity sounds incredible with neck pickups (humbuckers and single coils), but I have to set the glass knob almost off when using it with bridge pickups. For mild to medium gain distortion sounds, that pedal is the most "amp like" of any I've tried.

I'm curious about the new version with the 3 position switch. The sound clips on the lovepedal.com web site would make more sense if they referenced the sound of the guitar and amp with the pedal turned off. The unprocessed sound reference tells a lot about how a pedal interacts with the guitar and amp, but most sound clips don't include this.

Ramblin390
12-27-2009, 03:35 AM
eternity= $15 of parts for 200 somethin'
overpriced

rawkguitarist
12-27-2009, 03:51 AM
overpriced

Please, come up with something original and less ignorant. Thanks. :aok

auratnik
12-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I had Karl fuzz and Eternity 2 years ago, actually I liked Karl very much but the paint job was very DIY and it chip as crazy. Eternity was a big disapoitment for the money,
I just couldn't stand the voicing of this pedal.

supercollider
12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Personally for me, the knockout Lovepedals I've had are his BBB, and the red-led COT50. Especially the BBB. I'll always keep mine.

Wasn't too keen on the Eternity somehow!

Ramblin390
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Please, come up with something original and less ignorant. Thanks. :aok
overpriced-your welcome
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/ramblin390/boss-eternity050.jpg

this1smyne
12-27-2009, 07:17 PM
i had an old block PTP eternity that i LOVED... and have since tried 3 other eternities trying to get it back.... no luck. i think there are too many variants on the same circuit, even with the burst PTP models, no two sound alike, which is a down fall (and an upside) to lovepedals....

i was not impressed with the 200lbs of fuzz, nor the COT blue or an original i had (very SHO like, but not quite as good IMO). So i've gone through prob 10 lovepedals, and i liked the first E i had (should never have shed it) and the provalve....

the provalve (1 not 2, haven't tried the second one yet) is the best high gain drive pedal i've played... and i've played a bunch. it puts the openhaus to shame, and gives the BJFE's a run for their money. it sounds better than some of the drive channels on my amps!!! so there are some diamonds in the rough, the key is finding hte right lovepedal for your setup.... which can be fun, or annoying.

rawkguitarist
12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
overpriced-your welcome
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/ramblin390/boss-eternity050.jpg

Yeah, if you think the cost of the components in *anything* equate to what the *price* is and should be, I can't help you much. LOL! Like I said, come up with something original and "less ignorant". :bounce

davidp158
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
I bought one of the surface mount Eternity pedals when Sean did a short run of the "burst" finish. The pedal sounded good (the voicing works OK for me), but the paint job had streaks, and looked like a rush job. It started to flake off after using it at my first rehearsal, so I contacted Sean about it. He tried to convince me that the distressed paint it looked cool (lame excuse), but he eventually took it back. BTW, every photo I've seen of this particular run of pedals showed the same streaks and chipping, so I presume it was just a failed paint procedure. I bought a black one from a dealer on this forum, and that finish is fine.

Yeah, its disappointing to spend money on gear that doesn't pan out, so consider buying from dealers who offer a trial period.

I had Karl fuzz and Eternity 2 years ago, actually I liked Karl very much but the paint job was very DIY and it chip as crazy. Eternity was a big disapoitment for the money,
I just couldn't stand the voicing of this pedal.

SG-GUY 92'
12-31-2009, 01:06 AM
I only own two Lovepedal's, the Kanji E and the Amp50, both are great and have their own uses. I will be honest though, I really didn't like them at first (with humbuckers) but when I tried them both with single coils, I was in tone heaven! I think that these pedals really shine with single coils, but to each his own. Great stuff Sean!

Dale
12-31-2009, 07:31 AM
I just picked up the Les Luis. It appears to do what it is advertised to do. Good pedal for me and I play tweeds.

NeilYoungFan
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Based on the few I've tried and what I've read, I've come to believe that the original line of handwired pedals he introduced were really killer stuff. I didn't really care about his later "cheaper" versions... I also believe that somewhere on the way the cheaper production along with the numerous versions of some pedals confused and dissapointed many folks.
Still his original line included excellent sounding stuff...

versatel
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Had a Road House Eternity (cool but quirky) and a brushed metal COT 50 (too much of a volume jump at zero), but the real surprise for me was the Black Dragon germ/sil fuzz! I own 6 original Fuzz Faces from '66 to '72 (amazing sounding) and the Black Dragon can hang with those easily. But the variable sil/germ function makes it more gig worthy and able to bond with any amp. Not talked about much---but a real sleeper pedal! Keep in mind there are many variations of the Dragons too....... I hear the white BBB is closest (if not identical) to the Black Dragon in operation and innards.

Aran
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Burst E's are to die for tone wise.

clothwiring
01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I had an older Purple Plexi...cool pedal but didn't do it for me. I sold it after a few months.

Aran
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
overpriced

Ever price out parts for a Two Rock? :)

Everything if taken down to just its components are priced that way, even a Dumble I'd expect uses parts which don't come no where close to what the charge is. But that's not what you're buying now is it?

Best thing to do is stop buying anything, guitar related or not. Get out a knife and widdle all you want to use ever in life for yourself. I'd hate for someone to pay $200 bucks for $15 worth of parts.

thesjkexperienc
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I have tried 5 of them now and was underwhelmed every time.

rawkguitarist
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Based on the few I've tried and what I've read, I've come to believe that the original line of handwired pedals he introduced were really killer stuff. I didn't really care about his later "cheaper" versions... I also believe that somewhere on the way the cheaper production along with the numerous versions of some pedals confused and dissapointed many folks.
Still his original line included excellent sounding stuff...

Well, the newer stuff certainly isn't "cheaper" built. I have 3 of his older "more expensive" hand built ones (2 Eternities and a Raytheon germanium tranny Karl Fuzz) and I definitely think the more DIY nature of them is really cool. But the newer ones are a partnership between him and Cusack pedals; think very well engineered The circuit boards are bullet proof, the cases are powder coated and the switches are *much* better designed than the ubiquitous "blue" switch of death in all the boutique pedals in the world And IMO, the Fuse Eternity sounds *better* than my hand build Eternities in a lot of ways. I hold on to my old ones cause I like the more TS sound of them and the fact that they have more gain than the Fuse. But the Fuse is a majorly refined sounding OD. Brilliant actually.

IMO, this is simply a miss conception about the "'cheaper' versions".

Just my 2 pennies.

bseamus
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I had an older Purple Plexi...cool pedal but didn't do it for me. I sold it after a few months.
I agree. I had the Newer purple plexi and it had no presence live. The E6 and the Kanji, on the other hand, are keepers.

aaronblues
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
This had another thread, but did anyone get in on the new 8823 release back a couple weeks? It's quite possibly my favorite Lovepedal i've owned, and that's out of about 15 now....And's it's different enough from the COT and E that i don't have to bump either from my board....

cheers

Uma Floresta
01-07-2010, 04:05 PM
The Les Lius seems to sound good - more so than his other Electra Distortion variants.

rawkguitarist
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
The Les Lius seems to sound good - more so than his other Electra Distortion variants.

Which ones are Electra Distortion variants?

IvIark
01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
All the ones that aren't TS808 variants :banana

jpagey
01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Funny thread!!

Drifting
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I like his ears and his pedals are all very musical. Do not like the way his flagship pedals evolve without explanation of lineage and the fluctuating price are irritating. The Eternity Fuse sounds fantastic but some people have said they received the pedal and were confused the advertised visual of the pedal was not the same as the pedal received. That could be dealer related but different appearances and different versions are a little overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time. I like his products and love the sound samples and the many Lovepedal boxes I’ve owned were all fantastic; I should be a bigger fan but the aforementioned niggles keep me from full fanboy status. Still, it's a better guitar world with his products. Can anybody sense my ambivalence????

I agree. His pedals are great sounding, but some of his decisions frustrate me, just my opinion. I bought an awesome sounding BBB07 'handwired' version, it is a great pedal. It's just aggravating it to see SMD components on the inside. If I'm gonna pay over 240$ dollars, he could put Alpha pots in there. I don't give a shit about boutique, premium components, but at least fork over a few bucks for some decent pots that'll last.

It's his choice to do whatever he wants, I'm just putting my 2 cents out there.

Mac-P
01-08-2010, 01:19 AM
i think the "erratic" or "mysterious" nature of the different species of the same model actually works for the company. If ya think about it, he has probably designed a thousand or more different pedals by this point.

Yea, different versions of the Eternity can be frustrating, especially if you order something and the picture on the site is different from the one ya get.

I had an old white powder coated E & liked it. He did a short run of HW bursts back in '07 so of course I expected the burst would be the same smooth powder coated pedal. I was sorta bummed to receive it and realize it had a rough "primer" sort of finish - and less gain! The pedal was easy to scratch and I gotta say, I was a little let down.

Long story short, that "primer" burst that scratches so easily, etc is one AMAZING sounding pedal. I have too many OD's, and I can say, without a doubt, that little pedal is the most woody, earthy, organic, tube-like and just all-around musical OD I own. Even set with the gain to almost zero it sings and has sustain. Really really a fantastic pedal. Needless to say I don't care at all about the rough finish anymore :rockin

I got one of the 1st run printed circuit board/silent switching/chicken head knob bursts when they first came out in '08 (without realizing it wasn't hand wired when ordering). The paint job was smooth & not rough, but I didn't care for the sound. Sounded thinner & smaller than either of my old ones. And it would've been nice to know that it was a PB before I ordered. So yea, I can understand the frustration, but like Gibson (can of worms I know): if ya get a good one that is voiced to your ear, there's nothing like it.

There's a ton of info on this board about all the models. If someone is trying to buy used just do some research, hone in on the model ya want, & wait for it in the emporium or eBay. It'll come... :munch

I still think Lovepedal, Skreddy & David Barber have some of the best ears ever & it's a different world for us guitarists because of it.

:D

NeilYoungFan
01-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Well, the newer stuff certainly isn't "cheaper" built. I have 3 of his older "more expensive" hand built ones (2 Eternities and a Raytheon germanium tranny Karl Fuzz) and I definitely think the more DIY nature of them is really cool. But the newer ones are a partnership between him and Cusack pedals; think very well engineered The circuit boards are bullet proof, the cases are powder coated and the switches are *much* better designed than the ubiquitous "blue" switch of death in all the boutique pedals in the world And IMO, the Fuse Eternity sounds *better* than my hand build Eternities in a lot of ways. I hold on to my old ones cause I like the more TS sound of them and the fact that they have more gain than the Fuse. But the Fuse is a majorly refined sounding OD. Brilliant actually.

IMO, this is simply a miss conception about the "'cheaper' versions".

Just my 2 pennies.

Hmm, well the newer SMD E and COT50 I tried were by far inferior compared to the handwired ones. Might have been just me, though...
Note that I'm saying that handwired definitely means better. My favorite dirt pedals are not handwired. That's however my experience with Lovepedals.

wahwah
01-08-2010, 07:02 AM
I picked up a SMD Eternity in 2008, and it must have been faulty, because it had a popping footswitch that just wouldn't switch silently, a hopeless signal to noise ratio and a nasty top end. I returned it for a refund and later found a white handwired '06 Eternity on eBay that I still use. I had to put an MI Audio Boost'n'Buff after it to make it play nice with buffered effects further down the chain, and it is quite noisy, but tonally I like what it does. You can hear it in the YouTube links below on "Mistreated" and "Highway Star," running into an Ulbrick Venue 30.

Cheers........................... wahwah

Goofball
01-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Any opinions of the Provalve?
The clips I've heard were pretty awesome.

I was so hot for this pedal and now Sean is offering the Provalve 2.
I am sooooo tempted...

forum_crawler
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I had a pickle vibe, and I will not own another lovepedal.

soma
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
I love my Pickle Vibe.

Have an E 'burst' clone which I rather like for low-gain stuff.

Uma Floresta
01-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Woodrow, COT50, Death of a Vox IIRC.

Also, the Greer Ghetto Stomp and the Beavis Trotsky Drive. All variations on a theme.

Jason UP
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Love my Lovepedal Dragon...getcha one!

madscientist
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Have owned:
First run burst SMD Eternity: decent, but not quite what I was looking for
200 lbs fuzz: couldn't bond with it
PP800 HW: good pedal, but did not cut through at all, a bit thin on top
Black Eternity: good pedal, don't know why I sold it

Still Own:
2005 spec HW Burst E: Absolutely dripping with tone
2009 Dragon Fuzz: A monster of a pedal, just huge sounding
Fuse Eternity: A fantastic low gain/clean boost
Darling Devil Distortion: GREAT high gain tones!

jpagey
01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I was playing thru my BBB today. I have a self-verified schematic. It's a cross between a vegematic and a small stone phaser. Amazingly, it can sound like a fuzz, distortion or germanium based od pedal, depending upon where the controls are set. Anyway, I'm pretty steamed that he cloned the vegematic and won't admit it, even thou I have demanded an admission. The worst part is the goop smells like carrots. The pedal sounds great, but I am still steamed. Topology.

rawkguitarist
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I was really pissed when I found out the Dunlop 225/45R 18's I put on my RX8 were basically the same design as the 13 inch tires you can get for your compact car at Sams. Just a better rubber compound, better measurements and a better designed tread pattern. Lame... Dunlop ripped me off! :bonk

aaronblues
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
in all seriousness.....

i tend to defend the Lovepedal "versions" but it's that exact reason that i don't buy Maxon or Ibanez. Too many slight variations on the same thing that i can't keep up with.....

:hide2

(like the new smiley!)

cheers

phusana
01-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I bought one of the surface mount Eternity pedals when Sean did a short run of the "burst" finish. The pedal sounded good (the voicing works OK for me), but the paint job had streaks, and looked like a rush job. It started to flake off after using it at my first rehearsal, so I contacted Sean about it. He tried to convince me that the distressed paint it looked cool (lame excuse), but he eventually took it back. BTW, every photo I've seen of this particular run of pedals showed the same streaks and chipping, so I presume it was just a failed paint procedure. I bought a black one from a dealer on this forum, and that finish is fine.

Yeah, its disappointing to spend money on gear that doesn't pan out, so consider buying from dealers who offer a trial period.

I have one of these "pcb Burst Es, bought it used, and it really does the job for me! I'm mostly using single coil pups for roots/blues american music. I've tried most of the other big name pedals: Tim, Zen... They all went right back. Great for low gain/boost cleans up very well. Nice match with a strat for blues.

As far as the finish goes... That whole run of pedals had that finish, kind of distinctive IMHO.

sanhozay
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I was playing thru my BBB today. I have a self-verified schematic. It's a cross between a vegematic and a small stone phaser. Amazingly, it can sound like a fuzz, distortion or germanium based od pedal, depending upon where the controls are set. Anyway, I'm pretty steamed that he cloned the vegematic and won't admit it, even thou I have demanded an admission. The worst part is the goop smells like carrots. The pedal sounds great, but I am still steamed. Topology.

:idea

...you could use your free Lovepedal gift to take care of the goop.

http://www.imdowntown.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ronco-knives-use-this.jpg

KRosser
01-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I own four - Eternity, Believe, White Dragon & Twin 60. I love them all.

The first one I got, the Eternity, is to me the most indispensable. Hardly a day goes by in the four years I've owned it that it hasn't been put to work helping me do my work.

jpagey
01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
:idea

...you could use your free Lovepedal gift to take care of the goop.

http://www.imdowntown.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ronco-knives-use-this.jpg
My 7 year old just self-verified the schematic she drew for the pocket fisherman. I can't believe it's a clone of food dehydrator and a fuzz face.

GP_Hawk
01-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree. His pedals are great sounding, but some of his decisions frustrate me, just my opinion. I bought an awesome sounding BBB07 'handwired' version, it is a great pedal. It's just aggravating it to see SMD components on the inside. If I'm gonna pay over 240$ dollars, he could put Alpha pots in there. I don't give a shit about boutique, premium components, but at least fork over a few bucks for some decent pots that'll last.

It's his choice to do whatever he wants, I'm just putting my 2 cents out there.

Funny because I have a BBB07 also and it clearly has alpha pots in it. It is a great pedal.

jpagey
01-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Funny because I have a BBB07 also and it clearly has alpha pots in it. It is a great pedal.
My BBB also has alpha pots.
Lately I have been using it with the volume at 5:00, tone at 1:00 and gain at 11:00. Cool pedal.

Dale
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I have not really had issues with my one lone pedal from them. I did not know there was such strong feelings about the pedals, it seems surprising to me. Passionate group here.

Mike R.
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM

http://www.downloadthat.com/images/screen/d9865c823a41a8978f1dcbf9ee3f4842_Maze_Creator_STD. gif

Simon
02-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Only pedal I still have on my board from 5yrs ago is my creme with creme knobs HWired Eternity, Its just unique to itself.
Also just got a Echo Baby and its amazing something that tiny can do what it does.
Id like to have a second one on my board.
One set short and the other longer with modulation.

I often hear people taking issue with the fact that Sean makes so many variations.
So the Guy is ambitious and does'nt want to ride on His Laurels!

Burn the Witch!

pulse.
02-19-2010, 03:34 AM
I can't count the lovepedals that passed on my board,
the only ones I still have are RH Eternity and BBB07.

I just got a mail from Sean that the custom shop is open again,
handwired stuff, and many thoughts have passed through my mind.

bsic
02-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Ive been cycling through a lot of OD pedals in the last month. The Eternity Kanji 9 is the first one I fell in love with, goes great with my LP->Budda.

Stratobuc
02-19-2010, 06:54 AM
I've had my Eternity Fuse for over a month now (Strat / Fender amps) - and its working great for me.

tonedover
02-19-2010, 07:34 AM
And because he doesn't provide a way identify which "version" "mod" " etc. is in each pedal, that's exactly why I won't buy one.
Too much $ to play silly guessing games.

this

tonedover
02-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Only pedal I still have on my board from 5yrs ago is my creme with creme knobs HWired Eternity, Its just unique to itself.
Also just got a Echo Baby and its amazing something that tiny can do what it does.
Id like to have a second one on my board.
One set short and the other longer with modulation.

I often hear people taking issue with the fact that Sean makes so many variations.
So the Guy is ambitious and does'nt want to ride on His Laurels!

Burn the Witch!

Simon, you sound like a fanboy.
The fact is that you can barely even research lovepedals on youtube or reviews as determining which version you are hearing, and then finding an accurately labeled pedal used on the internet is a huge crap shoot.

If he's so ambitious why doesnt he come up with a dating / tone / naming system that works?

Its stupid.

If i did this at my work, they wouldnt call me artsy or ambitious. They'd call me "fired". Who cares how many diff versions he makes as long as he LABELS them.... then i would have no problem at all.

gearboy
02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Has anyone ever done some kind of comprehensive compilation of every pedal he has done? Is it possible!? I lost track a long time ago....

DT7
02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

I'd say there's a valid need for it. Without the time and/or money for everyone to go scrounging up each and every version to test-drive, such a chart would be a handy tool to narrow it down for some. The other option (which I have seriously considered) is to go build my own. It's the hassle factor.

dmczern
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
HW Roadhouse great pedal.........
HW Roadhouse in to my Jester = Sonic Heaven!

Will never part with my White Dragon!

MAGICboy
02-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Simon, you sound like a fanboy.
The fact is that you can barely even research lovepedals on youtube or reviews as determining which version you are hearing, and then finding an accurately labeled pedal used on the internet is a huge crap shoot.

If he's so ambitious why doesnt he come up with a dating / tone / naming system that works?

Its stupid.

If i did this at my work, they wouldnt call me artsy or ambitious. They'd call me "fired". Who cares how many diff versions he makes as long as he LABELS them.... then i would have no problem at all.

Whats wrong with making diff versions?
They are custom creations of a personal perspective aren't they?

It's not stupid, dumble does it / did it. I am always growing, experimenting and believing I can do better. I have a pretty good perception of what I have built in the past and can identify it.. I get calls / emails and questions all the time about used market past creations. I have no problem with identification or passing it on to someone in need of such information.. My staff is is trained in this as well.. paul@lovepedal.com gets info out pretty quick. I pay him to do so..

Why limit yourself? That IMO is stupid. If I limited myself and never stepped outside the box in ways of generating fresh content I wouldn't be moving forward.

onetubetone
02-20-2010, 06:41 AM
I just picked up a Fuse and it's a really cool pedal so far. But I think it would make things much easier for everyone if the Lovepedal website was more complete. It doesn't list the technical details of his pedals (current draw, voltage allowance, switching type), nor does it have any section for past models. I emailed the Paul to see whether the black Fuse I was buying was the same guts as the new cream one (which it is btw) and Paul got back to me that day, which I really appreciate. So yes, more info on the website I think would be helpful from an otherwise great company.

ToneKing
02-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Whats wrong with making diff versions?
They are custom creations of a personal perspective aren't they?

It's not stupid, dumble does it / did it. I am always growing, experimenting and believing I can do better. I have a pretty good perception of what I have built in the past and can identify it.. I get calls / emails and questions all the time about used market past creations. I have no problem with identification or passing it on to someone in need of such information.. My staff is is trained in this as well.. paul@lovepedal.com gets info out pretty quick. I pay him to do so..

Why limit yourself? That IMO is stupid. If I limited myself and never stepped outside the box in ways of generating fresh content I wouldn't be moving forward.

Keep up the good work. Isn't creativeness a part of what America is all about. If people didn't experiment, nothing new would ever come about.

rawkguitarist
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Why do people feel that just cause something doesn't fit in their little box of expectations they *must* attack the company/builder and the people that dig that company/builder. So you want Sean to have 5 pedals on his sight that never change? No thanks.

If you're concerned about gambling on a particular version, let me help you. The Fuse is the best version of the Eternity IMO. It's hard to describe, but as with the hand wired Eternities I have took the old gritty, compressed, detached tone to a *whole new level*, the Fuse did it even more.

Am I a "fanboy"... I guess, whatever that means. Cause Sean makes some cool stuff. I've had some critiques of his stuff too, but all in all he's one of the best builders out there. And when I *get paid* to play, an Eternity is most likely on... The point is, you gotta put his pedals to work at gig levels to hear the magic, at the point where many other pedals fall short.

stingrey1978
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Personally I'm a huge fan of Sean, we talked a minute last night about his Maori fuzz and the story behind it, but I have a COT 50 Tiki that I plug into a bassman with a PRS and i've never had so many people react to a sound than that, it is AMAZING, I also have a Tiki eternity that I begged Sean for for years to compliment my Cot 50 Tiki, and it sounds Amazing, I'm not one to get into all the variations I just buy something and if it works for me it works, and the eternity has been on my board for at least 3 years and is gonna stick around for a long time, the cot is also being run behind my amp, they are top notch pedals and if people don't like em, well thats cool, i personally had a 1st run zendrive that i didn't like, doesn't mean it was a genius pedal, just means it didn't work for me...

Tunesketcher
05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Am I a "fanboy"... I guess, whatever that means. Cause Sean makes some cool stuff. I've had some critiques of his stuff too, but all in all he's one of the best builders out there. And when I *get paid* to play, an Eternity is most likely on... The point is, you gotta put his pedals to work at gig levels to hear the magic, at the point where many other pedals fall short.

Resurrecting this a bit...Agreed..I have an old hand-wired COT 50 Burst that I simply love, bought it used in '06 without ever hearing one... just based on some reviews and it's not going anywhere. It's on all the time and an extension of my rig/sound. Very Plexi-like low-gain OD and cleans up like a dream. At "gig" levels (this is key) it's a sweet rippin pedal that's very amp-like. Like a classic instrument when you get a good one, it's a great one.

Strat58
05-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi yep mine Eternity work great with the COT50, also have a COTgold and Karl Fuzz and thinking of buying a Echo baby :) Nuff said love him or hate him the guy makes awesome sounding pedals.
Peace Strat58

cubistguitar
05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Love my White Dragon, has been on the board longer than anything

I have a great lil china, and a purple plexi

I recommend the handwired lovelies as they really breathe some fire

Thanks Sean!

llc55
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I thought about replacing my COT50 Red so many times in the past, but none of the tested pedals did all the tricks the COT do for me. I can dial in solo boost, light rhythm base sound, AC/DC crunch, tweed tones and so many more, depending how I stack it and the amp I use.

Great pedal. I just wish it has a bit more volume on tap.

teefus
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
i owned a kanji 9 (there is another thread about this pedal right now), provalve and a pickle vibe. the pickle vibe didn't do much for me so it went pretty quickly. the kanji 9 and provalve weren't far behind. the LP distortion pedals seem to be too bright for my rig which isn't a naturally bright rig. the provalve had a good, natural sound too it but besides the overall brightness problem the second volume/channel control really didn't have much effect. i bought it because i thought it would be cool to toggle back and forth between 2 different gain settings. most of the time i couldn't tell the difference even when one setting was all the way down and the other was all the way up. the kanji 9 was too bright and raspy to my ears.

JZWest
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
i got to play a hardwire 200lbs, and really like it. don't hear much about these

i want that pedal

gregory70
05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
See my signature. All my dirt comes from Handwired Lovepedals.

Andre357
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM
See my signature. All my dirt comes from Handwired Lovepedals.

Great set up man....

What version eternity ??

scolfax
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I tried an Eternity with a Strat once and wasn't impressed. I was surprised - especially considering how much it cost.

oinkbanana
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I also have a Englishman, LL & Provalve2, and they are great pedals.
not enticed by the COT or the eternity pedals.

I'd really love to track down a "death of the vox"
englishman is that wonderful of a pedal,
i'd put another on my board in a blink of an eye.

Mike9
05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I've had a gang of Sean's Lovepedals and I kept some and got rid of others. My favorites are the Lo Driver and Fab 50. I sold those and afterword kicked my self. Couple of years later I get some newer ones and they rock. So I got the newer Lo and a COT 'LIL China and a COT Kanji. I scored an early Roadhouse Eternity yesterday for $136 - hope it sounds better than the last one I sold, Tried the Les Lius and it was nice, but had some limitations to my mind. Had a Karl, but that was just not my thing either so . . . . . all in all I really like Sean's work - he knows his stuff.

Dale
05-29-2010, 04:19 PM
I like the Les Louis for rhythm in particular.

Steve Hotra
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
I use the Les Luis for rythmn and lead, too. I add the clean cut/comp of my FD 2 as a boost. Nice distinct OD tone.

BillyK
07-01-2010, 06:03 AM
I've got a 'burst E from the early days and now run a BadgerPlex Vintage after it to fulfill the buffer requirement. With a Strat it's the best overdrive tones/feel I've ever had.

I own a HW COT Gold as well. I love Lovepedals.

Plus, Sean is a great guy to do business with.

overture2005
07-01-2010, 06:11 AM
after I got my first burst eternity, lovepedal is one of the tops on my personal list.

Tone-Control
07-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Any news about current pickle vibes and switch popping issues? I would like to buy one but have heard about issues.

trwigg
07-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I really dig the Eternity, mine is housed in a brown case with white lettering, but I think they are really all the same with some other name added to it IMO. Sold the COT 50 and 200lbs of tone because they just didn't do anything for me. Build is solid on the ones I've owned; however, I didn't care for the way the 200lbs was housed.

AaronAllen
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I use the Les Luis for rythmn and lead, too.

Me too. I really like my Les Lius...its been on the board for about 9 months now and its not going anywhere. I get so many compliments on my OD tones and sound guys always want to see my board. I play Tele's and the LL really just rocks with them.

I love having the three way toggle switch too. The housing and silent switching is top notch in my book! :aok

my.name.is.timo
08-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Lovepedal Eternity Fuse. Got one. Love it. First Lovepedal experience.

Who saw that new video today of the Englishman Limited Edition "Woman Tone"???

Sean's got great ears. His pedals sound awesome.

Dale
08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Les Luis is the one I have and like here.

ES330
08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I had a COT
Never really got what others liked about this pedal ??

sanhozay
08-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I had a COT

Good for the guys looking to heat up the preamp tubes with a really hot signal and be left on all the time with the drive controlled by the guitars volume knob. Not so good for the guys that like to stack because the volume boost is pretty massive. But stellar for kicking up things a few notches and getting into that really hot bluesy Jimi tone without the volume requirements of a treble booster and their finicky sweep. I think the COT work best with the smaller wattage amps and low output pickups. It's one of my favorite Lovepedal boxes.

aaronblues
08-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I had a COT

It can be a pain if you're expecting standard TS style crunch, because of the big volume boost. Also can be a fairly bright pedal when used at low amp volume settings...

But.....:)

IF your amp's volume is up a bit it sorta becomes a very natural part of your amp tone. Perfect guitar-volume-knob roll-back tones. And very natural crunch with clarity. I'm gonna go play mine now....my favorite pedal.

cheers

pold
08-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I had a COT

The COT 50 it's Sean's favourite pedal, the one he cares the most about, and it's not a pedal for massive gain, but to give an organic crunchy breakup to your tone. I have got one, gold version with volume knob, it sounds great, I love it, and I hope Sean will do COT 50 version with more top end and less bottom end:D

blues
08-22-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a purple plexi 100,and a kanji 50. The pp kills through my victoria. I had a woody,woodrow, black beauty ezekiel (killer) cot 50,and provalve. I only sold them cause I needed the cash. Plus I only use 1 pedal if I use one the 100 gets the nod.

NewarkWilder
08-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I never really bonded with either of the Eternitys I tried, and am guilty of being one of the people who has been kind of suspicious about how so many people will order a new pedal of his without even knowing what the hell it does...

BUT... I picked up a Les Luis and a Redhead not too long ago and both are phenomenal pedals. I'll be taking Sean a little more seriously now. :aok

zerorez
08-22-2010, 12:40 PM
This new vid from Sean is killer, love the description for the Woman Tone, snarl, bite and buttery sound of Clapton's Cream tone in spades on this pedal! :D

KQ94CCUTT_M

aaronblues
08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I never really bonded with either of the Eternitys I tried, and am guilty of being one of the people who has been kind of suspicious about how so many people will order a new pedal of his without even knowing what the hell it does...

BUT... I picked up a Les Luis and a Redhead not too long ago and both are phenomenal pedals. I'll be taking Sean a little more seriously now. :aok

i can definitely understand the skeptics, when there's little "info" given about the pedals....of course when you get down to it, do you really need "specs" for a 3 knob overdrive?? But i digress....
it's pretty easy to see that a pedal that's been around for the better part of a decade and has a used resale between $150-$250 (depending on the version) is an absolute steal when sold brand new at $100. If the buyer has any need for that type of pedal, there is no reason not to give one a try, unseen/unheard. The price is great, the basic pedal reputation is great, what's to lose?? Sorta like buying a new Timmy, it's great, it's cheap, win-win!

Glad you're liking the RedHead, i'd love to hear more of your thoughts on it.....my highest gain non-fuzz LP is the K'zoo, and sooner or later i'll be wanting a saturated crunchy distortion.....

NewarkWilder
08-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Glad you're liking the RedHead, i'd love to hear more of your thoughts on it.....my highest gain non-fuzz LP is the K'zoo, and sooner or later i'll be wanting a saturated crunchy distortion.....

Welp, the Redhead is definitely that! I find it has a very unique and musical tone to it as well, if its based on an amp or some other pedal design or whatever I couldn't tell you what it is. It has some crossover with my Himmelstrutz Fetto, but the Fetto is a more straight up kind of distortion (though an extremely good one), the Redhead really does have its own vibe going on.

I think the PGS demo actually does a pretty good job of representing its sound, great string definition, crunchy and saturated and warm... high gain for sure, but not really suited for metal or anything like that. I actually would have liked to have the mid boost on a separate footswitch than the toggle, its a BIG boost but both sounds are really usable.

Great pedal for sure, and sticks out as something relatively unique in a sea of "high gain" pedals. its not for heavy chugga chugga type stuff, but it manages to retain this really sweet natural character to it even when its screaming like mad. The whole "effortless feedback" is absolutely true too... get past about 3:00 on the gain knob and away we go!

I'd kinda like to try a K'zoo now although I'm plenty happy with my overdrive situation at the moment. The Redhead is one of my best purchases of the year though, no doubt :aok

cr8z4life
09-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I have an original Cot 50, a BBB07, and now have a purple plexi 100 coming.......looking forward to running the bbb07 out front into the cot 50 (on all the time to enhance amptone) and into the purple plexi.......that should be some combination!!!

My take on his pedals are........if you want forgiving pedals these arent for you. If you want or need alot of compression to wail and cover mistakes and lack finesse.....look elsewhere. These pedals reward a player who understands touch sensitivity and if you play well they will shine......if you want to get better they will help you see where you need improvement. I happen to like lovepedals....but not for all applications (as my guitar playing is somewhere in the middle........not terrible, but not quite where Id want it).......sort of like owning a Ferrari and being a decent driver....but then you let someone who is a pro racer drive your car and its like "damn, thats what this car is capable of!!"

MRCHILL4
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
my first lovepedal experience is my kanji eternity. love it. on the " a bit too much noise for an od "side of things. but i still love it. my boogie loves it. my les paul has sex with it ! lol !

jb1911
10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
I've had a few Lovepedals, Eternitys, COT50s, Woodrows, Kalamazoos and my favorite was the Fuse. It's a great OD and I still have and use it.

Tunesketcher
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
i can definitely understand the skeptics, when there's little "info" given about the pedals....of course when you get down to it, do you really need "specs" for a 3 knob overdrive?? But i digress....

Agreed do you really need specs for a one-knob (COT50)? it fits into your rig almost as part of your EQ section. It takes a little time to dial in but once you do, you miss it when it's out of the chain. It works best for me with low-wind pickups 7-8K ohm range with volume rolled down.

With the pedal knob at 0 it's a straight-up clean volume boost, 9:00 on the pedal, humbuckers just ring out with a nice chime. I use it for jangly rhythms..e.g. sus & add9 chords just ring with a bit of breakup, I've never really had a pedal that retained that kind of clarity. 12:00-3:00 for leads I'll stack it with my Barber LTD Silver or Small Fry and get a scary good in your face tone with the volume knob dimed on the guitar. I do have 500k volume/tone pots..However, very satisfying pedal when used with the right setup.

ciclosonico
11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I was lucky enough to win the 8823 on YouTube (thx again Sean!):

it's the best unknown ovedrive ever!
If you find one on TGP Emporium, eBay or wherever, get it before is gone.
It KILLS, I often wonder why Sean discontinued the production.

BTW,
I can't do without my Eternity HW + Cot50 stack on the floor :)

gitpicker
11-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Lots of fun reading this thread - pretty much all viewpoints are expressed.

Here is my take:

Lovepedals, more than any other brand of pedals I have tried/owned demonstrate a point of view (or of ear). Playing through these pedals you can really begin to understand what Sean considers "good tone" to be. I happen to agree with him, and therefore I have really dug the majority of Lovepedals I have owned. Others have a different opinion about "good tone" and so they will probably have a less positive reaction. There is no right or wrong to this, it is all very subjective - but when I play through a Lovepedal I hear those classic tones that inspired me many years ago when I first got hooked on R'n'R - before all the overblown production and effects were introduced. Just pure, raw power guitar tone.

I also think that the amp and guitar you prefer has a bearing on how well a Lovepedal will work for you. Hook a single coil guitar into a Lovepedal and then plug it into a Fender amp and you are in tone Nirvana (of course, IMO). I have this type of rig, and so Lovepedals work very, very well for me. But I have heard demos of Lovepedals on other rigs that sounded awesome, so there you go (there was one short demo of a COT into a Marshall that was really mind-blowing)

In closing, I have an old FAB 50 that I will never, ever part with - and my pedalboard sports a Les Lius and Kalamazoo which both rock. Although I have owned probably a dozen different Eternities, I have never melded well with any of them - they sound good, but just a bit too much compression and a bit too smooth for my tastes.

I have owned around 30 different Lovepedals - I still have 5 of them and 3 of them are permanent fixtures on my pedalboard - for me, that is a really, really good percentage, considering all the other crap I have spent money on, played through for a minute, hour, day, or month and then sold.

PS - Lovepedal marketing does not bother me in the least. ANY pedal that any of us buy without the opportunity to try it out first on our own personal rig is a crap shoot, so the fact that Sean markets his products with an emphasis on the mysterious is at the very least more honest than the promises that others heap upon us.

teleclem
11-29-2010, 07:58 AM
PS - Lovepedal marketing does not bother me in the least. ANY pedal that any of us buy without the opportunity to try it out first on our own personal rig is a crap shoot, so the fact that Sean markets his products with an emphasis on the mysterious is at the very least more honest than the promises that others heap upon us.

good point. I guess most of us are just used to all those promises (which is why it might feel odd that there's some mystery)

MHermans
11-29-2010, 08:17 AM
I really like Lovepedal. Some more than others.... The Fuse was great, Kanji was great. The Amp Eleven is my favorite. It replaced 2 overdrives on my board and is amazing. I actually like how Sean keeps putting out different variations of his own pedals. I've tried several different Eternitys and they all are cool variations. He doesn't sit still but constantly evolves.....