PDA

View Full Version : The amazing Blizzak snow tires!

Tony Foran
12-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Just put four WS-60s on my RWD car and it makes an amazing difference. It's something that needs to be experienced to be believed. I have driven my last FWD car, that's for sure.

Jon C
12-10-2009, 08:49 AM
they are great (as are Dunlop Winter Sport M3s) ... 60-100# of sand or cat litter (for traction if you need to spread it) in bags in the trunk (over the rear wheels) are also a useful idea on a RWD car to help get weight on the driven wheels ... makes a huge diff. on the RWD cars I've had.

Tony Foran
12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
they are great (as are Dunlop Winter Sport M3s) ... 60-100# of sand or cat litter (for traction if you need to spread it) in bags in the trunk (over the rear wheels) are also a useful idea on a RWD car to help get weight on the driven wheels ... makes a huge diff. on the RWD cars I've had.

Sand with a front heavy car but with close to 50/50, I don't want the extra weight. I've heard good things about the Dunlops, too. It's more of a performance tire, where the WS 60 is an aggressive winter tire. They are a little squishy on dry pavement, so you do need to adjust your driving style.

Jon C
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Sand with a front heavy car but with close to 50/50, I don't want the extra weight. I've heard good things about the Dunlops, too. It's more of a performance tire, where the WS 60 is an aggressive winter tire. They are a little squishy on dry pavement, so you do need to adjust your driving style.

the Dunlops are amazing, they handle on dry pavement close to as well and as quietly as my all season or summer tires ... if I were back in New England I'd probably stick w/ the Blizzaks, I've been through 2 sets of them and 2 sets of Dunlops in the past 15 yrs or so.

I agree, if you have enough weight back there, no sand (other than if you may want/need it for traction) ... on my last RWD car ('93 M-B C280), it was almost undriveable even w/ 4 snow tires without the extra weight lashed down over the wheels...

8mileshigh
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I used my Blizzak tires for four years and wore the thread down to almost nothing and they still really stuck to the road really well. I now have Goodyear winter tires with steel studs, they're no where near as good as the old worn out Blizzaks, I'm pissed that I didn't invest more money into a quality tire.

Jon C
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
the first 60% or so of the Blizzaks (and now Dunlops) are the hydrophilic winter compound, the remainder is basically an all season compound ... so once you get down there it's effectively an all season tire.

From TireRack: "When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound."

cheers,
jc

Jim S
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
They are awesome.

I got a deal on Pirelli Winter whatever tires and they aren't nearly as good as the Blizzaks. I'll keep them until I run them into the ground (one season as I average 25,000 mi year and abit more than half of that in winter).

Erik
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
IMHO, a RWD car with Blizzak's is as good or better than an AWD vehicle with all-season radials.

ungarn
12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Blizzak's...made my Wifey's RWD 3-series BMW drivable all winter long in Ohio...paired with traction control these tires are FANTASTIC in snow...absolutely no help for ice just like any other tire...

Jon C
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
IMHO, a RWD car with Blizzak's is as good or better than an AWD vehicle with all-season radials.

:aok (assuming 4 Blizzaks).

JimmyB
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Hell, even a FWD vehicle with Blizzaks at all four corners will be hugely better than AWD with so-called 'all season' tires! :roll

I'm still running the older WS15 design on my Civic and I have to roll my eyes and/or laugh at folks who say they 'need' an AWD SUV or sedan to get through snow. :dunno Ah well... takes all kinds... I just cross my fingers that they're not in front of me on the road with weather like we have here today. :D

papa taco
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I had a Mazda RX7 with blizzaks for the winter. I was shocked at how well it went in all sorts of bad situations.

jetsnation
12-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I put top of the line Blizzes on my wife's car, I want to keep her aound. I'm middle aged and can't get hot chicks anymore.

Erik
12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
...I have to roll my eyes and/or laugh at folks who say they 'need' an AWD SUV or sedan to get through snow. :dunno Ah well... takes all kinds... I just cross my fingers that they're not in front of me on the road with weather like we have here today. :D

Those are the exact same people who think AWD means all wheel stop.

Srvwannab
12-10-2009, 11:10 AM
This is a timely thread for me- thanks to the OP and those that have contributed. I can look forward to a less slippery future!

mprvise
12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Those are the exact same people who think AWD means all wheel stop.

It actually helps considerably if you have a manual transmission and know how to use it. :aok

Tony Foran
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
This is a timely thread for me- thanks to the OP and those that have contributed. I can look forward to a less slippery future!

You're welcome. They truly can be life savers.

The_Whale
12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
If you get caught in snow without proper tires, put 40 psi in the tires you have and fill the gas tank (with gasoline :messedup).

it helps.

kovachian
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
It actually helps considerably if you have a manual transmission and know how to use it. :aok
Manual tranny + all wheel drive + snow tires + traction control = I laugh at blizzards. HA! Hardy har har!

http://bayimg.com/image/eagfgaacp.jpg

jrm
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
my fav snow tires ever were Nokian Vatiiva. Just awesoem tires.

AshyLarry
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
WS-60's are serious snows for sure. I had the Dunlop M3's for 3 years and they wore out so I replaced them with the Dunlop 3D's and they are not even close to as good. I'm regretting everyday. I was going to get Blizzaks but they were $100 more at the time and I was low on funds. Enjoy the ridiculous grip.

Jim S
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=7278325#post7278325)

:aok (assuming 4 Blizzaks).

:agree been there and done that

mr coffee
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
best time to buy is spring.. put blizzak in your craigslist search and EVERYONE has them for sale cheap. I bought four for 100$ used one year on a guys company car (for my 300b he had it on an audi) I wish I could find them that cheap in the more manly size of my wagon

dzo
12-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I believe this was actually proven in some tests by a car magazine. The RWD with snow tires had something like 25% better traction. However, my AWD with all-season tires does fine in Colorado suburban driving.

Erik
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I believe this was actually proven in some tests by a car magazine. The RWD with snow tires had something like 25% better traction. However, my AWD with all-season tires does fine in Colorado suburban driving.

That's good to know (my wife drives the AWD with all seasons, I'm the RWD with snows)...I'm going to test the theory on the commute home this evening!!! :D

billywade
12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm in S. Texas so snow tires are of absolutely no use whatsoever to me. I did keep up with everything automobile in the '90s when the Blizzaks were released. All the magazines that tested them echoed the same thing. They were basically the best snow tire ever. I do recall them saying that they wore quickly in late spring/summer conditions so they should be changed out ASAP after snow season.

Tony Foran
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm in S. Texas so snow tires are of absolutely no use whatsoever to me. I did keep up with everything automobile in the '90s when the Blizzaks were released. All the magazines that tested them echoed the same thing. They were basically the best snow tire ever. I do recall them saying that they wore quickly in late spring/summer conditions so they should be changed out ASAP after snow season.

You're even supposed to store them in a cool dry spot. Leave them out in a hot garage and they will deteriorate quickly.

plagtr2
12-10-2009, 06:02 PM
We have Nokians on her 325CI. Stick & DSC + the tires = VERY few problems. I drive an older 325 with Blizzacks and have little problem getting around as well. I have to confess that I am a fan of "right foot" steering & the Scandinavian flick!

dkaplowitz
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Anyone do any spirited driving on the WS60s? There are "winter performance" LM-60s, but they're ~$40. each more per tire. I think that with how I drive (when the weather is okay) justifies the added cost, but would be curious to hear your experiences. My car is AWD if that makes much diff.

Thanks,

Dave

joemilitello
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Anyone do any spirited driving on the WS60s? There are "winter performance" LM-60s, but they're ~$40. each more per tire. I think that with how I drive (when the weather is okay) justifies the added cost, but would be curious to hear your experiences. My car is AWD if that makes much diff.

Thanks,

Dave

I do some spirited driving with them. I get a new set every other year and run them on an AWD Audi S-4. They have get up & go, but I need a new set every 20-25,000 miles.

I drive 35 miles up a winding canyon road to the ski resort at Big Sky (base is at about 8000 feet elevation) in some nasty, nasty conditions about 90 times every winter, and I feel pretty much glued to the road.

Tony Foran
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks,

Dave

You definitely know you are on snowies but they're still pretty good. I went down a size from 225/45/17 to 205/55/17, so I can spin them at around 40 on dry pavement, no problem, which I try to not do.

Big_Daddy
11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Love the Blizzaks. I drive a lowered 2005 MINI Cooper S and, even in 4 Michigan/Ontario winters, I have not got this car stuck in the snow. This month they will be going on for the 5th time and I drive 20,000 miles a year. Awesome tires!

dkaplowitz
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I do some spirited driving with them. I get a new set every other year and run them on an AWD Audi S-4. They have get up & go, but I need a new set every 20-25,000 miles.

I drive 35 miles up a winding canyon road to the ski resort at Big Sky (base is at about 8000 feet elevation) in some nasty, nasty conditions about 90 times every winter, and I feel pretty much glued to the road.

You definitely know you are on snowies but they're still pretty good. I went down a size from 225/45/17 to 205/55/17, so I can spin them at around 40 on dry pavement, no problem, which I try to not do.
Thanks. I got the WS60s. I figure since I have to buy rims this time around as well, the savings will be welcome. If I find them lacking, the next set will be a performance set.

amigo30
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Snow tires are something I know NOTHING about. Thank goodness.

Us Southerners are sensible.

If we see a few white flakes dropping out of the sky, we run to the grocery store and buy bread,milk and toilet paper before the roads get REALLY BAD,...like with a 1/4 inch build-up or something awful .......then we go home and stay there for the next couple of days and play x-box and drink beer. Then a week later, long after the gnarly white stuff is gone..we throw the milk and bread away because we never figured out why we needed it in the first place.

A southern man don't need no snow-tires around, anyhow.

candh
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Blizzaks and my LandCruiser make for challenging winter driving......

meaning...

I'll take any challenge.:D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/candhh/DSC_0009-1.jpg

shakeshakeshake
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
hakkapeliitta tires are really nice too

Bussman
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
...like with a 1/4 inch build-up or something awful .......then we go home and stay there for the next couple of days...

A 1/4" of snow on the road will keep you locked indoor for a couple of days?????

Man! No wonder the south lost the war.

P.S. of course your post was sarcastic, so is mine.

JES1680
11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Just got a set of 18 inch sparco alloys and WS60's for my 335i delivered from TireRack the other day. I've run all kinds of winter tires, but keep comming back to the Blizzacks if I can get them in the size I need. I run them on RWD and my AWD cars. My Subi STI with Blizzacks was almost as good as my snomobile. It was crazy how well that car handled the nasty stuff.
Bottom line, when you're on the highway with 0 visibility and creeping along at 10mph Blizzacks are worth their weight in gold.

dkaplowitz
11-03-2010, 07:47 AM
My Subi STI with Blizzacks was almost as good as my snomobile. It was crazy how well that car handled the nasty stuff.
Cool, glad to hear it! I purchased wheels (motegi mr116) and Blizzak WS60s for my STi from tirerack last night. Now watch, we won't have a flake of snow this winter. (Though by the looks of how cold it's getting here in SEPenna already, it's shaping up to be another snow intensive winter.)

Dave

fatcontroller
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Had Blizzaks on my 3-series/manual transmission. Stuck like glue. Best snow car/tire combo I've owned/driven.

jefesq
11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Blizzak LM 22s on the TT for years. Then Dunlop 3ds just as good.

amigo30
11-03-2010, 07:20 PM
A 1/4" of snow on the road will keep you locked indoor for a couple of days?????

Man! No wonder the south lost the war.

P.S. of course your post was sarcastic, so is mine.

If you've never experienced a few flurries of snow in Atlanta..you just haven't laughed as hard as you can, yet.

Whiskeyrebel
11-03-2010, 09:07 PM
When I had a new Saturn SC2 it came with summer performance tires. Traction control or no traction control, the first snow as like driving on ball bearings. I put Blizzaks on and it and that made a night and day difference. But they wore really fast for me because they salt so heavily that snow cover on the roads is sporadic in the winter. If I still lived in the UP where exposed pavement is sporadic in the winter, they may have held up much longer.
As far as AWD goes, it must depend on the vehicle. I have an AWD Astro and that thing is the steadiest winter driving vehicle I ever have driven. People like to say that it only affects accelleration, but as long as I keep the speed and following distances sensible, I can feel it helping stability by spreading the thrust over four tires. It just chews its way along. At a steady speed you're balancing thrust against drag and if each tire is only pushing half as hard, you have more friction in reserve for tracking and steering.

Dr. Tweedbucket
11-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Great info!! I hate winter driving, maybe better tires will make a difference. How pricey are they compared to regular tires?

Bussman
11-04-2010, 06:24 AM
If you've never experienced a few flurries of snow in Atlanta..you just haven't laughed as hard as you can, yet.

My wife has a cousin in Georgia, maybe we should visit this winter? I like to laugh.

I did live in Toronto for a nearly a decade (Canada's south?) That was funny. Especially when they called in the army to shovel them out of a snow storm.

Tony Foran
11-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Great info!! I hate winter driving, maybe better tires will make a difference. How pricey are they compared to regular tires?

For your Acura? About $400 for a set.

Jim S
11-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Cheaper than a funeral or hospital bill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/IntenseJim/SJV%20Home/Ladder%20Snowoboard%20Dump%202%203%2008/wokeuptothis.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/IntenseJim/SJV%20Home/Ladder%20Snowoboard%20Dump%202%203%2008/Jimblowingitoutmidthighdeep.jpg

MikeS
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I used my Blizzak tires for four years and wore the thread down to almost nothing and they still really stuck to the road really well. I now have Goodyear winter tires with steel studs, they're no where near as good as the old worn out Blizzaks, I'm pissed that I didn't invest more money into a quality tire.

Can the Blizzaks be used all year long without quickly wearing them out, or is it better to have a second set of wheels with the Blizzaks for winter?

dkaplowitz
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Can the Blizzaks be used all year long without quickly wearing them out, or is it better to have a second set of wheels with the Blizzaks for winter?
I wouldn't. A set of steel wheels to keep the Blizzaks on shouldn't set you back too much....if you're lucky. There are no steel wheels made for my car, so I had to buy a set of proper rims/alloys for my winter rig.

Jim S
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Second set. Cheaper in the long run too.

MikeS
11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
hakkapeliitta tires are really nice too

And I believe they're ultra low rolling resistance tires too. I've heard a LOT of good things about them... except for the price.

MikeS
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Second set. Cheaper in the long run too.

That's what I figured.

I've got a set of Falkin High Country's on my steel wheels now. Those will be toast by next spring and I'm not going back to an A/T. I plan on putting some more sensible highway, LRR tires on some nice aluminum wheels in the spring and getting a set of Blizzaks for next winter on the stock steelies.