PDA

View Full Version : which guitars are best for big hands/fat finger tips? How important is fret width?

B_of_H
12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
:huh

I've always been a fender guy and it's basically because I find them a lot easier to play high up on the neck. I've owned a gibsons and playing accurately high up on the neck is nearly impossible: the the flat'ish center of my finger tips are wider than the width between the frets basically.

Does skinny fretwire help or is it also scale length? or should I just forget about ever playing a stock les paul/sg?

I'd love to find a p90 loaded LP style or at least sounding guitar to play with my current band. Suggestions? mahogany body strat/tele?

(i've tried PRS, the starla was not too bad but still not quite what I want as far as tone)

RedTiger
12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
If by skinny frets you mean small frets, the last thing I'd think you would want would be having those small frets high up the neck. In fact, if someone wanted to scallop a fretboard, high up on the neck is the place to do it if you're going to do it anywhere. You want to go bigger, not smaller, IMO. For me, taller, thicker frets are easier to use all around, but especially up high.

I don't even have very large hands and sometimes 24 3/4 scale gives me trouble. Love the wider stretches available, hate the squished feeling I get up above the 15th. 25.5 scale for me.

If you really want to play a 24 3/4 scale, you can. Plenty of guys with large hands do, it just takes some time to get used to it.

B_of_H
12-11-2009, 12:08 PM
If by skinny frets you mean small frets, the last thing I'd think you would want would be having those small frets high up the neck. In fact, if someone wanted to scallop a fretboard, high up on the neck is the place to do it if you're going to do it anywhere. You want to go bigger, not smaller, IMO. For me, taller, thicker frets are easier to use all around, but especially up high.

I don't even have very large hands and sometimes 24 3/4 scale gives me trouble. Love the wider stretches available, hate the squished feeling I get up above the 15th. 25.5 scale for me.

If you really want to play a 24 3/4 scale, you can. Plenty of guys with large hands do, it just takes some time to get used to it.

thanks for the advice.

i've tried I promise:cry:, owned and played a les paul for 5 years or so. I literally have to angle my finger perfectly and press down with the edge of the finger tip to fret note after the 15th fret.

I was thinking tall but skinny/NARROW frets as oppossed to wide frets like my LP had to clarify.

fwiw I'm not concerned about scale length as much as just finding a LP'ish sounding guitar that I can play. I can't be the only one on here that has this issue (jimmy herring does as well although my finger tips are little wider, yes we compared them :hiP)

B_of_H
12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
just found this thread, must have overlooked it.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=600855&highlight=big+hands

sorry for not searching better. :)