PDA

View Full Version : Best expression pedal

rolltide
01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I've got an Eventide TimeFactor and I'm looking at adding an M9 to my rig. I'd like to run an expression pedal for both, but I want to know what are some of the better expression pedals. The Line6 one looks pretty cheap. Can you get decent volume swells through the expression pedal of the M9 or should I stick with my Ernie Ball VP Jr?

Tripower455
01-02-2010, 07:10 AM
I am using and like my 25K VP Jr with my M-13. Does great swells and wah stuff. I am having a hard time getting used to switchin the wah on and off from the board instead of the pedal though!

Scott Peterson
01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
The best - quality, design, function - expression pedal IMHO is the Mission Engineering stuff. I've got two of them, cannot recommend them highly enough.

rolltide
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
The best - quality, design, function - expression pedal IMHO is the Mission Engineering stuff. I've got two of them, cannot recommend them highly enough.

Thanks, Scott! I just saw the SP-2, which can control 2 devices. That will save me a lot of space on my board. Cheers! :)

DallasD
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Just ordered one of the Mission Engineering pedals in the Line 6 format based on stilwel's posts. The standard Line 6 black plastic one tore up on me during the very first use.

thorpy6
01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I really like the ernie ball format of pedals, great build and fantastic quality. I just bought a VP JNr volume pedal to use with my christmas present, the line 6 M9. However it appears that it didn't work because the pot is 250k rather than 25k. so rather than admit defeat i changed the versatility of the pedal by modding it.

It now has a switch that changes the pedal from 25k Potentiometer mode that can be used with a standard guitar cable into the m9 and then switched over to the other side you have 250k mode that can still be used as the standard volume pedal. two pedals in one so i'm chuffed to bits.

rolltide
01-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I have the 25k VP Jr, but it doesn't work with my Eventide. It lists expression pedals of between 5k and 20k being usable. SO the M9 allows the 25k pedal to work?

thorpy6
01-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Yup 25k works really well with the m9

rolltide
01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks, bud. I contacted Mission and they said the SP-2 won't work for Line6 so it looks like I have to go the 2 expression pedal route. Toneczar does a mod to make the VP Jr solely into a expression pedal as well.

rmpacheco
01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I really like the ernie ball format of pedals, great build and fantastic quality. I just bought a VP JNr volume pedal to use with my christmas present, the line 6 M9. However it appears that it didn't work because the pot is 250k rather than 25k. so rather than admit defeat i changed the versatility of the pedal by modding it.

It now has a switch that changes the pedal from 25k Potentiometer mode that can be used with a standard guitar cable into the m9 and then switched over to the other side you have 250k mode that can still be used as the standard volume pedal. two pedals in one so i'm chuffed to bits.

I have the same problem...have the 250K version. Would you kindly describe how you modded it to work in two modes?

thorpy6
01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
i used an ON-ON DPDT switch. it looks a bit like this: (the numbers denote solder lugs)

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

3+6 are joined with a wire that goes to the red wire on the pcb in the pedal.

2 has a wire that goes to the orange wire on the pcb in the pedal

4+5 have a 27k resistor soldered between them 4 also has a wire soldered to the brown connection on the pcb in the pedal.

I then drilled the front of the pedal and tightened the switch up. all done

basically one way the switch changes the pedal to a 25k active expression pedal and the other way its a 250k volume pedal. good eh?

RockDC
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
i used an ON-ON DPDT switch. it looks a bit like this: (the numbers denote solder lugs)

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

4+5 have a 27k resistor soldered between them 4 also has a wire soldered to the brown connection on the pcb in the pedal.

basically one way the switch changes the pedal to a 25k active expression pedal and the other way its a 250k volume pedal. good eh?

Who's tried this? Did it work?

sleeper42
02-27-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm looking to do this... I went into my local Radio Shack, but couldn't find 27k resistor.. I did find a 22 and a 33.. any tips on which I should use? does it matter? any help would be appreciated.

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

LqdSndDist
02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Depends what you want it for

Mission are unrivaled for effects like wah, as they have the travel and form your likely used to.

However, I'm not a big fan of Mission for things like volume as they don't have enough range in the sweep

The Boss FV500's are pretty nice for things like swells and mod rate adjustments. Only downside is they are kind of big and heavy

I picked up a couple of EB VP jr's for about $50 each and swapped the audio log pot with a linear one. Turns them into a fantastic exp pedal with a compact form factor and an ideal range of pedal travel.

I pair two of them with 1 spring loaded mission (wah/whammy) best of both worlds

Clifford-D
02-27-2014, 11:02 PM
I have the Ernie Ball MVP, it has a buffer and a 20db clean boost knob as well as adjustment for how low volume you go in the heel. And the feel of the pedal is as good as ever. A great upgrade from the VPJr as a volume pedal. And then I think I paid less for the MVP $99 than the VPJr $125 lol.

Can it be modded into an expression pedal and not lose it's volume pedal ability?

sleeper42
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
I did this last night - my soldering skills are terrible, so it took me forever. But now I have the 250k "volume pedal" version of the VP Jr with a toggle switch that allows me to use it as an expression pedal with my Line6 M9.

I ended up using a 22k resistor and it works great. Thanks to thorpy6 for posting these instructions.

I'm looking to do this... I went into my local Radio Shack, but couldn't find 27k resistor.. I did find a 22 and a 33.. any tips on which I should use? does it matter? any help would be appreciated.

prinspatrick
02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
I like my Boss FV-500

690MBCOMMANDO
03-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I had several Mission pedals over the years and while they were great, I really missed the feel (tension) of the Ernie Ball VP JR as well as how the VP JR would stay in place mid sweep without any doubt.

Anyone know if the current Mission pedals feel like the VP JR?

Jadedbluesman1
03-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I recently bought a Roland EV-5 for 30 bucks at GC used. I love it. I use it for my rotosphere and I think it sounds great.

Mincer
03-09-2014, 04:12 PM
The Dunlop DVP3 (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp3-volume-x) is the nicest feeling one, with adjustable tension and nice throw. I use mine with an M9. I used to use an EB VP jr, but the throw was too big, and it made wah a little harder. The Mission stuff is well built, but I don't like the short throw for anything but wah. The Dunlop is a great middle ground, and built like a tank- can also be used as a volume pedal too.

gulliver
03-09-2014, 05:11 PM
I posted this a while ago ... best solution for rock solid quality and low price ... if you can make a couple solder joints.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=993022&highlight=expression

Ringleader42
03-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Love the newest Moog EP-3. Cannot be beat for $40. Hate the M-Audio EX-P, especially after getting the Moog.

690MBCOMMANDO
03-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the posts. Anyone have a pedal from Mission recently (I'm looking at the SP-1 R) and can speak to the tension?