PDA

View Full Version : Menatone - All Pedals Now in Small Format

justonwo
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I visited True Tone Music in Santa Monica last night. They currently have the entire Menatone line in their pedal case. It seems that every pedal in the Menatone line has now been switched to a small (mostly 4-knob) format. I saw a 4-knob King of the Britains, a 4-knob TBIAC, 4-knob Kar Krash (that I had already seen), 4-knob Workingman's Blue.

It would be interesting to know if Brian will continue to make the larger format for pedals like the KOTB. I personally like the full tone stack and boost functions. I think they make the pedals a bit easier to tune.

justonwo
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh and they have a None More Black in stock if anyone's interested. Actually, I think they have the entire Menatone line in stock right now.

-DC/AC-
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I noticed this too when I checked the Menatone website. The Workingman's Blues, King of the Britains, and Top Boost in a Box were not on the site. Is he not making them anymore???

It also looks like he has a couple of new pedals being developed; a compressor, octave fuzz, and envelope filter. Check it out on the website (http://www.menatone.com/).

justonwo
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
No, he's definitely still making them. They were in the case. The pedals you are talking about as being "under development" are complete and being sold. They were also in the case.

Last Nerve
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Would be cool to see the website updated and see what control you have now that the pedals are smaller/simpler versions.

Bucksears
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Are the smaller pedals the same price as their larger brethren?

guitarpkr67
01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Anybody have a pic of the 4-knob Kar Krash?

lifeinsong
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
The small box 4 knob KK is now called the Wreck'T...it's basically the Trainwreck side of the dual channel KK with a little more low end.

There's a picture on Musictoyz.com

guitarpkr67
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info man. I think I'd still like to pick up the older 2-channel one. Anybody have the new Wrek'T? How's it sound?

Bryan T
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
So no built-in boost on the TBiaC? That was a great feature.

supersonic1414
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I love the 8 knob controls and the boost on the TBIAC. Not sure why this would be changed...

justonwo
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
It would be cool if Brian could comment on whether the older format will be available, too.

slopeshoulder
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Made smaller, more affordable (um, the economy?), no boost (run a das boost before multiple pedals).
Same sound, same circuit.
Now P2P.

Mena is not a web meister or a forum meister or a marketing meister. He just makes great pedals as best as he possbily can and sells them through some dealers. He interrupts momentum and delays stuff just to get better parts or try out a new tweak. He is slow. He doesn't purposely mess with our heads. He is unpredictable. But he is IMO the very best. And a very nice and likebale guy who truly cares.

Maybe he'll make other versions if the economy will support pricey pedals. BUT these smaller, convenient, P2P boxes, with a Das Boost in front, seems a great way to go either way. Me likey.

fieldsroyal
01-07-2010, 05:12 PM
What's the 2 knob Kar Krash like - tones to die for best overdrive imo - BUT having said that I totally love the trainwreck side it is glorious - so having THAT in a small box would be something to behold.....go buy with confidence!

fieldsroyal
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
"Mena is not a web meister or a forum meister or a marketing meister. he just makes great pedals and sells them through some dealers."

+ 1000 - one of the true innovators - I for one get a little tired of some builders' self-promotional bullshit - the product should sell itself imo (with a little bit of marketing of course)....we all know it's the empty vessels that make the most noise lol.
The Menatone circuits are always being tweaked - no resting on laurels here folks - i own 8 of the original circuits and always tempted to update and buy the 8 knobbers (WMB/TBIAC/KOTB) - note to self buy lotto ticket!!!!

cubba65
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Made smaller, more affordable (um, the economy?), no boost (run a das boost before multiple pedals).
Same sound, same circuit.
Now P2P.

Mena is not a web meister or a forum meister or a marketing meister. He just makes great pedals as best as he possbily can and sells them through some dealers. He interrupts momentum and delays stuff just to get better parts or try out a new tweak. He is slow. He doesn't purposely mess with our heads. He is unpredictable. But he is IMO the very best. And a very nice and likebale guy who truly cares.

Maybe he'll make other versions if the economy will support pricey pedals. BUT these smaller, convenient, P2P boxes, with a Das Boost in front, seems a great way to go either way. Me likey.

Nice one and pretty accurate IMO.
:beer

NewarkWilder
01-08-2010, 07:04 AM
I've got one of the new 4 knob KOTBs on the way from Make'n'Music, can't wait to try it out!! I'm a little curious as to how such a huge pedal with so many options can be shrunk down to just 4 knobs and still retain the same level of quality (ok, quality is the wrong word, but flexibility I guess?).

I really hope the EQing is flexible enough to get me to where I want to be with just 4 knobs... we'll see! I'll report back when it arrives :aok

RickB
01-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I've got one of the new 4 knob KOTBs on the way from Make'n'Music, can't wait to try it out!! I'm a little curious as to how such a huge pedal with so many options can be shrunk down to just 4 knobs and still retain the same level of quality (ok, quality is the wrong word, but flexibility I guess?).

I really hope the EQing is flexible enough to get me to where I want to be with just 4 knobs... we'll see! I'll report back when it arrives :aok

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it for sure.

slopeshoulder
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM

I gather that because most people set the bass and mids on a plexi to 10, he can leave them out, and lose boost too. So you have gain, volume, treble, and I assume presence, and maybe a voice toggle? Or maybe just voiced to sound like most people use it?

whaiyun
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Does Menatone have a website? I can't seem to find it.

I take it back. IGNORE ME lol. i had to search "menatone website" instead of "menatone"

Cap'nMayhem
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
It would be cool if Brian could comment on whether the older format will be available, too.
Actually, I talked to Brian yesterday and he said that he's been toying with the idea of doing a custom shop type thing, direct sale only for that exact reason. Think of the possibilities...

I'm still not sure how custom it'll be but I know that older versions of pedals would most likely be available.

carbz
01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised he choose to do the TW as opposed to the Komet part of the KK pedal. I always felt the Komet side sounded much fuller. I had both versions at the same time and the original KK sounded like the Komet side of the later version. Just my 2 cents. Brilliant pedals none the less.

Cap'nMayhem
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
^^^ No worries. With the bass control on the Wreckt you totally get into the Komet side tones.

morgan918
01-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the boost feature on my last rev KoTB is pretty awesome. It allows me a one OD pedal situation and just sounds great. I don't doubt that the new one sounds great, but I love all the options on the last one.

Goodwood Audio
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Given the current economic climate this makes a lot of sense to me. Streamlinig production will help to keep costs down. Keeping them PTP assures the customer of a quality product that should hold a lot of it's value.
I've never played or even heard one if Brian's pedals. Really should get a hold of one some day.

Cap'nMayhem
01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I think the boost feature on my last rev KoTB is pretty awesome. It allows me a one OD pedal situation and just sounds great. I don't doubt that the new one sounds great, but I love all the options on the last one.

The Das Boost is the same boost circuit with even more headroom.

NewarkWilder
01-08-2010, 05:47 PM
is the Das Boost a clean boost?

i've got a DAM Red Rooster but that will be adding even more gain. gonna have to wait and see if thats a good thing or what with the new KOTB

Cap'nMayhem
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
is the Das Boost a clean boost?

i've got a DAM Red Rooster but that will be adding even more gain. gonna have to wait and see if thats a good thing or what with the new KOTB
The Das Boost is a completely clean boost. It is the same boost as in the now older dual footswitch pedals but has more headroom because it is internally voltage doubled (runs 18V off of one 9V battery) and has a voice switch (Dark/Normal/Bright) to add versatility. I almost always run mine in Normal mode.

slopeshoulder
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Same here. Normal mode.
I sold one of my two to someone here. :)

Dennis Rayburn
01-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow, that's cool to hear. I love my 8 knob WMB but a smaller one channel version would be great too, to free up some space on my pedalboard. I guess I'd just have to contact Brian and ask for one, right?

Cap'nMayhem
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Wow, that's cool to hear. I love my 8 knob WMB but a smaller one channel version would be great too, to free up some space on my pedalboard. I guess I'd just have to contact Brian and ask for one, right?
If there's not one of his stores near you then yes. If there is a store near you then you'll probably have to get it from them. Brian doesn't screw his stores over and make direct sales to people in their areas. Very respectable if you ask me.

Dennis Rayburn
01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks Cap'nMayhem.

justonwo
01-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Dennis, I know for a fact True Tone Music in Santa Monica has the small WMB, or at least they did a few days ago. They will ship to you. Give them a call.