PDA

View Full Version : My garage ceiling heater is running but no heat....

Trotter
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Anyone know what could be causing this? The fan is running, and the furnace is working fine for the rest of the house... but no heat is coming out of the garage ceiling heater. I checked and the pilot light is on too...

Thanks!

riff1006
01-24-2010, 06:22 PM
If it runs on a thermostat I would check that. Jumper across the heat contacts and see if she lights up.

Trotter
01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
If it runs on a thermostat I would check that. Jumper across the heat contacts and see if she lights up.

It does run on a thermostat. I'm not sure what the heat contacts are to be honest though...

MudPies
01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Have you had the heater pumping heat this season? I'm wondering if you have it so the pilot light stays on but it won't allow it to fire up. I had an appt with a heater that was touchy like that.

Trotter
01-24-2010, 07:54 PM
It was working yesterday just fine... today we have a pilot light, but no heat.

MudPies
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
And you're sure you have enough fuel (can the pilot light even stay lit on fumes?)

Just throwing questions out there.

Trotter
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
And you're sure you have enough fuel (can the pilot light even stay lit on fumes?)

Just throwing questions out there.

Yep. The pilot light is going strong. I think the thermostat is hosed up...

riff1006
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
It would probably be red and white and that's iffy since I really can't see it, but if you don't have a clue, maybe you shouldn't mess with it. You could short out your gas valve or maybe worse. Generally though,
red-transformer power
white-heat
yellow-cool
green-fan

Scott L
01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
If fan is running, the thermostat is calling for heat, you have a pilot lighting, sounds like the Thermal Coupler is shot....

http://forum.doityourself.com/gas-oil-home-heating-furnaces/186476-replacing-thermal-coupler.html

Trotter
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
UPDATE: I just "jumped" the contacts on the thermostat and it fired right up. Not sure what it means... and not sure if this is a fix or not.

Scott L
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Its not a fix if it won't stop running when your up to temp.

The Thermal Coupler is like a relay - it opens the valve and closes it as the thermostat reaches the desired temp setting.

You have heat now but based on what your saying, it is constantly on.

tone4days
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
hope it gets fixed
good luck

by the way, what is a ceiling heater? why does one need to heat the ceiling?

RCM78
01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Its not a fix if it won't stop running when your up to temp.

The Thermal Coupler is like a relay - it opens the valve and closes it as the thermostat reaches the desired temp setting.

You have heat now but based on what your saying, it is constantly on.

The thermocouple is NOT like a relay and it does NOT open and close the gas valve...

RCM78
01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
The wierd thing here is why did the fan come on with no burner? If you jumped out the stat and the burner came on then that means there was no call for heat before you jumped out the stat. So the fan should not have been running.

I'm making some assumptions here. So I have a question.

What type of heater is it? Brand and Model would be nice.

MudPies
01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
hope it gets fixed
good luck

by the way, what is a ceiling heater? why does one need to heat the ceiling?

the unit circulates the air. A radiant heat system in or near the floor wouldn't be able to bring the temp up quickly after opnening the garage door.

something like this.

http://www.certified-plumbing-heating.com/images/portfolio/Reznor.jpg

riff1006
01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Try replacing your thermostat.

The Golden Boy
01-25-2010, 03:35 PM
the unit circulates the air. A radiant heat system in or near the floor wouldn't be able to bring the temp up quickly after opnening the garage door.

something like this.

http://www.certified-plumbing-heating.com/images/portfolio/Reznor.jpg

I love those things.

I've got something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4105D7HS2YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg