PDA

View Full Version : JBL D120 tone with lower efficiency speaker??

Gearoholic
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I last posted but I got some great advice last time and hope for the same. I currently have Weber clones of the JBL D120 speaker and they sound good but they are LOUD :bounce I am looking to get a JBL D120 tone from a lower efficiency speaker.

Is there a speaker that would get me that tone at a lower efficiency rating? Jensens come to mind but I have no experience with them. I play a les paul and am looking for that dry, canny, honky, vintage kind of tone. FYI, I have a baseman type amp (50 watts) with EL34's

Gearoholic
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Bump

tonedoggie
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
These don't sound neccessarily like d120's, but well broken in Jensen c12N reissues and tonetubby alnicos are a bit less efficient. I use all three (JBL, Tonetubby, and Jensen) in various Fender Deluxe Reverb and Allen Encore rigs, and they each have their charms.

But, I use single coil pickups...

strumminsix
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I last posted but I got some great advice last time and hope for the same. I currently have Weber clones of the JBL D120 speaker and they sound good but they are LOUD :bounce I am looking to get a JBL D120 tone from a lower efficiency speaker.

Is there a speaker that would get me that tone at a lower efficiency rating? Jensens come to mind but I have no experience with them. I play a les paul and am looking for that dry, canny, honky, vintage kind of tone. FYI, I have a baseman type amp (50 watts) with EL34's

The Weber NeoMags?

Have you considered Greenbacks?

Gearoholic
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I have greenbacks and they are very middy and narrow for me. I am looking for a dry, honky, canny type speaker. The D120 gets me there, as does the Weber CV123 (Cerwin Vega Er123 clone) but both are just crazy loud.

I like to crank the master on my amp and there is no way I can get over 5 or 6 on these speakers.

Any ideas on a dry, honky, can like compressed sound in low efficiency?

Gearoholic
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I read on a blog that the NeoMag's were rted at like 98dbs but I sent an email to Weber asking about this and they did not agree but did not know what the efficinecy rating was. They claimed that the Cali Alnico's were the most inefficient JBL type speaker

Gearoholic
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
bump

pula58
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
The Weber Californias (if that is the Weber speaker you have) are actually not that efficient. Way less efficient than, say, a Weber 12F150. The Weber Neomags (another JBL D120-F type of speaker) is also not particularly efficient. I think Eminence makes a JBL clone, the commonwealth? But, I know very little about them. And I have seen mention of the Peavey 1203 speaker on the Lansing heritage forum. I don't kow much about that speaker either.

I just got an orange framed JBL D120-F (it was reconed in 1987). What a great speaker. And, I have A/B'd it with my Weber 12" neomag and 12" California, they do sound similar. The JBL sounds a little better to my ears, a bit more full sounding. The bass response of all three speakers is quite similar and has that fat and bouncy JBL feel to it. I feel like I am catching JBL-fever and now want to try an E120..!!

strumminsix
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Dude - which Weber "JBL Clone" do you have???????????????????????????????????

Jack Dotson
02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Are the speakers used in the Roland JC-120 with the aluminum cap a JBL clone?

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
The Webers I have now are the CV123's. This speaker is actuially a clone of the Cerwin Vega ER123, which was Cerwin Vegas clone of the JBL D120. (SHweeeww, that was tiring). The Weber ER123 sounds great but is loud as F$^%&$ck. I am looking for the same tone in a lower efficiency speaker so that I can crank the amp.

I know some of you are thinking (attinuator) but I'd rather not do that. I have a 30 watt head that I can play wideopen with Scumbag G12-H 55's and that speaker is rated at 100db. If I can find a JBL clone coming in around 96-98db then I am good to go at the same volume level as my 30 watt.

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Pula58

Which of those speakers has the most of these qualities (dry, honky, canny type sound). I mean the sound right here at 3:35 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDhR1R3S0s

THANKS

pula58
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
gearholic,
It's hard to say because I play a strat and a much different style. I don't tend to play in the Duane or Dicky tonal space. I am more like the Garcia mid 70's tone.

In the last two days I have been going back and forth between a Ceramic Weber California, a weber neomag and the JBL D-120 F. To my ear, the JBL sounds overall nicer to my ear. But, this is in the living room, I need to take the JBL out to a live situation and test it out.

The Weber Cali and Neomag are definitely in the JBL tonal space. I shall try to post A/B/C clips of the speakers soon/...

pula58
02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I think the Cali is rated at 96 dB or something (by the way).

see here, 2nd post from the bottom:
http://www.tedsforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=4420.0

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
You guys are the BEST!! I love this forum. Pula58 thanks in advance for sound clips. That would be a HUGE help.

You know I saw the post about the efficiency rating and emailed Weber speakers about it. They said they did not know the efficiency of those speakers but said the alnicos would be the lowest of the bunch out of the Alnico, Ceramic, and NeoMag

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Great info on Tedsforums.com. How do I access this speaker data for other speakers?

http://www.webervst.com/spkrcalc/c12cap.htm

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Bump

Gearoholic
02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I cannot find the link to any data on Weber speakers. It looks like they took it down.

weshunter
01-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Are the speakers used in the Roland JC-120 with the aluminum cap a JBL clone?

thread resurrection b/c i want to know the answer to this

AndreasG
01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
The Webers I have now are the CV123's. This speaker is actuially a clone of the Cerwin Vega ER123, which was Cerwin Vegas clone of the JBL D120. (SHweeeww, that was tiring). The Weber ER123 sounds great but is loud as F$^%&$ck. I am looking for the same tone in a lower efficiency speaker so that I can crank the amp.

I know some of you are thinking (attinuator) but I'd rather not do that. I have a 30 watt head that I can play wideopen with Scumbag G12-H 55's and that speaker is rated at 100db. If I can find a JBL clone coming in around 96-98db then I am good to go at the same volume level as my 30 watt.

Strange you find the Webers loud....I once had the Weber CV 123 in a 2x12 cab and changed them out because they couldn't hold up to another cab loaded with old Creamback G12 H Bass Celestions....they were a lot lower efficiency...I think most of the JBl tone comes from high efficiency beeing a fairly "clean" speaker