PDA

View Full Version : Best sounding RAT pedal? Mods?

Webfoot
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Anything really good in this camp? Mods needed?

candletears7
02-02-2010, 02:07 PM
BYOC Mighty Mouse all the way.
6 different clipping sections, 3 distortions, 3 overdrives and you can do the Reutz mod to bypass the tone section and get a flatter response. Cant go wrong.

clc12rock
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
All of these are RAT Clones, but I haven't tried any of them yet:

CmatMods Black Plague
MohoMods Rat2
Monte Allums OD-308
Jam Pedals Rattler
Killer Rabbit
Willsledge Last Adam
Pedalworx 5 O'Clock Charlie
JHS All American Distortion
Stomp Under Foot Screaming Panda

I have a Landgraff Mo'D, Freakshow Brown Rabbit, Hartman Distortion, Reinhardt Willard, Lovekraft Chupacabra, Big Box RI, Keeley Mod, JHS Mod, but right now I'm actually just using a standard MIUSA RAT2 on my board. I have a ton of RATs and Rat clones, so I'm gonna try to put them all on a board and do a demo of them soon.

matchless
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
the black plague is as close as you will get to an original( I have both)

tonymcbony
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
My favorite rat is a Vintage Reissue with mosfet clipping. Just awesome.

Primakurtz
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Hartman LM308 is great.

Stormbringer
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
BYOC Mighty Mouse all the way.
6 different clipping sections, 3 distortions, 3 overdrives and you can do the Reutz mod to bypass the tone section and get a flatter response. Cant go wrong.

YEAH, BABY!:agree

fieldsroyal
02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Well I've said this before - Get yourself a Vintage Reissue and if you can ask the seller to take a peek under the hood
- if it's got a "The Woodcutter" sticker on the circuit board snap it up - one of the really early reissues from 91 - long live the woodcutter.

Sikor
02-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Cmatmods Black Plague is a great RAT-clone with added 3-pos clipping switch.

Coach
02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
FKR is sweet

lukeII
02-03-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm very happy with the M'OD and haven't felt the need to try the others out although I wouldn't mine trying the Chupacabra

wiklund87
02-03-2010, 03:51 AM
I really like my the Lovekraft Cupacabra, but I bet the Cmatmods rat is good too.

VinceM
02-03-2010, 06:27 AM
the black plague is as close as you will get to an original( I have both)

This is great to hear that this pedal compares favorably with the older "classic" rats, and should remove any temptation for me to check out the new whiteface reissue! I got a Black Plague after being frustrated with the new Rats and this pedal ended my search for the perfect Rat. I compared this to a friend's mid 90's usa Keeley modded rat (which I loved) and felt the BP was all that and more.

It's a great pedal at a reasonable price.

Sikor
02-04-2010, 01:02 AM
This is great to hear that this pedal compares favorably with the older "classic" rats, and should remove any temptation for me to check out the new whiteface reissue! I got a Black Plague after being frustrated with the new Rats and this pedal ended my search for the perfect Rat. I compared this to a friend's mid 90's usa Keeley modded rat (which I loved) and felt the BP was all that and more.

Exactly! Black Plague is a RAT-clone, but although Chupacabra/MO'D sound great, they are moded RATs and they do not really sound like a RAT.
They also do not have a filter control, but "standard" tone knob.

Sikor
02-04-2010, 01:11 AM

Exactly! Black Plague is a RAT-clone, but although Chupacabra/MO'D sound great,
they are not direct clones and they do not really sound like a RAT.
They also do not have a filter control, but "standard" tone knob.

amz-fx
02-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Here's a couple of quick and free Rat mods:

http://www.muzique.com/news/diode-clipping-switch/

http://www.muzique.com/news/quick-rat-pedal-mod/

regards, Jack